15* years

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 09:59 PM
    But in that lies the problem. You won't have even app development on every platform and you can't use their runtime in order to access the apps that would allow their platform be it Windows phone 10 or BB10 or other to prosper. It does seem like a sort of monopoly snuffing out the competition. This does not sound like a fair base on which to build competition, innovation and optimal growth.
    But if someone had the runtime, they still don't have the apps anyway. You would still need developers to list apps in a new store. Amazon couldn't get developers to do that even when they did have an absolutely up to date runtime. Developers have no interest in an Android fork that is almost exactly like the real Android except with a different store. What's the point? So developers mostly ignored Amazon, and that idea died.

Google would say, look, if you want to make phones that legally access Google Play you can do that today. They don't even charge for that. So it's hard to see how the government would get involved or what case they would even make.
    01-26-17 10:08 PM
    The BB10 Os Passport is the best selling device by BlackBerry without any advertizing.. BB10 rocks.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 10:53 PM
    But if someone had the runtime, they still don't have the apps anyway. You would still need developers to list apps in a new store. Amazon couldn't get developers to do that even when they did have an absolutely up to date runtime. Developers have no interest in an Android fork that is almost exactly like the real Android except with a different store. What's the point? So developers mostly ignored Amazon, and that idea died.

Google would say, look, if you want to make phones that legally access Google Play you can do that today. They don't even charge for that. So it's hard to see how the government would get involved or what case they would even make.
    Well I got'a say, it is very sad that with so many possible options to be developed we get stuck with a proprietary rich snob (apple) and a delinquent peeping Tom (Google) as our only two choices when it could have been so much more. Technology should excite us and here we have those two lol. Very sad indeed.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 11:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that most devs were interested in the Amazon App Store but were put off by Amazon's 'free app of the day' feature where they give a paid app away for free without compensating the dev(s).

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    01-26-17 11:51 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that most devs were interested in the Amazon App Store but were put off by Amazon's 'free app of the day' feature where they give a paid app away for free without compensating the dev(s).

Nah. It's always been populated by old, ignored versions of apps.

DTEK60 / Z30
    01-27-17 12:01 AM
    That program was always "opt-in" - developers could choose to trade revenue for free promotion. Sure, some didn't like that idea, but they didn't have to opt in.

But app_Dev has it right. People don't realize that, even to support Amazon's "Android", devs would have to maintain a whole separate fork of their app, substituting Amazon's inferior services in place of Google's, which requires doing a large percentage of the work that developing and maintaining an app for a totally different platform would cost. It has to be developed separately, tested separately, etc. And given the relatively tiny number of Amazon users compared to the number of Google Play Store users, it's just not economically feasible.

Every different version of an app - even two Android apps with mostly the same functions - requires duplicating tons of work, and developers quickly figure out where they are getting an ROI (return on investment) and where they aren't. Apple's App Store and Google Play provide high ROI - everywhere else provides nearly none, and often actually generates a loss. The ones that generate a loss quickly get dropped in most cases, and if not, they tend to fall behind the "flagship" versions on the big app stores, and are rarely updated or maintained.

This is why devs end up supporting only 2 or at most 3 different platforms - the number of users, and thus the ROI, just drops off far too fast once the numbers go higher. If that wasn't true, I'm sure there would have been several additional OS choices for desktops over the last 30 years - but this same reality led directly to the demise of OS/2 Warp and BeOS, among others, long before smartphones existed. This isn't a new issue at all.
    01-27-17 01:43 AM
    yeah, I think that may have been part of it for paid apps. But remember, most of us don't charge for our apps on Android or iOS. Banks obviously don't, so for us it was just about the added expense/friction for no obvious benefit. Same thinking for social media apps, news apps, and a lot of other apps that are free.
    01-27-17 10:39 AM
    Well I got'a say, it is very sad that with so many possible options to be developed we get stuck with a proprietary rich snob (apple) and a delinquent peeping Tom (Google) as our only two choices when it could have been so much more. Technology should excite us and here we have those two lol. Very sad indeed.
    I'm looking forward to the Mercury, so I'm not sad. That one looks interesting.
    01-27-17 11:04 AM
    One more unnecessary or misused #hashtag and I'm gonna #hang #myself
    #Man, #Are #You #dead?

Via Z10. OS 10.3.2.2876
    01-28-17 12:46 PM
    Still here...lol.
    01-29-17 03:15 PM
  12. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    I hope I an get 5.0 on 10.3.4 or 4.4

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2206
    01-29-17 09:16 PM
    I hope I an get 5.0 on 10.3.4 or 4.4

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2206
    you can hope, but it wont happen.
    01-29-17 09:25 PM
    I cant believe anyone actually uses windows. what a pos. how is it still a thing?

Posted via CBX
    01-30-17 11:34 AM
    This needs to be repeated a 1,000 times. One of the main reasons people love BlackBerry is security. It's not secure to grab apks from unknown (to the developer) sources, especially if you then type your login credentials to something into that app!
    Eer I love using BlackBerry 10 but not for the security. I like it for the convenience, ease of use of its interface and it's seamless connectivity with my apps, computers and also my private cloud storage.

Just a thought, now that BlackBerry does not produce any more hardware can this be a loophole for them to incorporate the latest runtime into BlackBerry 10? BlackBerry is only a software company now right?
    01-30-17 12:36 PM
    Just a thought, now that BlackBerry does not produce any more hardware can this be a loophole for them to incorporate the latest runtime into BlackBerry 10? BlackBerry is only a software company now right?
    I do wonder about the licensing arrangement now. So it TCL, for example, licensing Android from Google and then separately licensing the BB enhancements to Android? If so, I suppose it's possible that BB could withdraw from the OHA.

But what would be the point? I can't imagine BB would want to invest in this.
    01-30-17 12:55 PM
    I do wonder about the licensing arrangement now. So it TCL, for example, licensing Android from Google and then separately licensing the BB enhancements to Android? If so, I suppose it's possible that BB could withdraw from the OHA.

I doubt it could be spilt like that.
    01-30-17 12:56 PM

Blackberry, although not making hardware anymore, is still involved with it's software and with Google, incorporating that into the OS. So in this regard it is probably OHA dependent.
    01-30-17 01:26 PM
    you think the android userbase exists because they want android?
    :c\

Posted via CBX
    I wanted an android os on my phone, that's why I bought a phone with Android os
    01-30-17 03:20 PM
    Besides what's already been mentioned, at least at the moment, BlackBerry isn't even working on BB10 right now. The last time a new OS build was spotted on the servers was last December 20th.

Nothing since.

The idea of updating the runtime is likely the furthest from their minds right now. I'd be surprised if there's anyone left to work on the main OS at this point.

Joel
    01-30-17 03:33 PM
    Besides what's already been mentioned, at least at the moment, BlackBerry isn't even working on BB10 right now. The last time a new OS build was spotted on the servers was last December 20th.

Nothing since.

The idea of updating the runtime is likely the furthest from their minds right now. I'd be surprised if there's anyone left to work on the main OS at this point.

Joel
    Eh, you mean the last unavailable build? 'Cause 2205 has been spotted on the Production server as it's rolling out right now.

01-30-17 03:44 PM
    Eh, you mean the last unavailable build? 'Cause 2205 has been spotted on the Production server as it's rolling out right now.

2205 has a Dec 12 build date.

The last 10.3.3 build ever seen (2241) was from Dec 19. Absolutely crickets since then.

DTEK60 / Z30
    01-30-17 03:47 PM
    2205 has a Dec 12 build date.

The last 10.3.3 build ever seen (2241) was from Dec 19. Absolutely crickets since then.

DTEK60 / Z30
    I was talking about the stable server, you know, the one where builds are available. But yeah, it's been awfully quiet on the other server, unfortunately

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    01-30-17 04:10 PM
    It's a holiday period?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    01-31-17 04:18 PM
    It's a holiday period?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    Long holiday period for a big company. Although, the City Council of my city had a New Years Reception today, so I guess anything's possible...

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    01-31-17 04:37 PM
133 ... 3456