BlackBerry should be allowed to update the runtime to the latest version that Google decides they will no longer support with Google Play Services. It only stands to reason that any device running any of the older versions of android is of no concern to them. By disallowing BlackBerry from using any older versions is simply a monopolizing tactic.

Posted via CB10
    There is no one left at BB10 to do anything about it anyway.

Whether or not you think it "should" be allowed, it isn't. The end.
    01-20-17 08:08 AM
    There is no one left at BB10 to do anything about it anyway.

Whether or not you think it "should" be allowed, it isn't. The end.
    This.

First, BlackBerry is not allowed to update the runtime.
    Second, BlackBerry doesn't want to do it. They are done with BB10, and they will only (maybe) do some security updates.
    Third, like conite just said, there is no more a BB10 team.

Deal with it guys and stop asking an Android Runtime update, it will not happen. If you need Android apps so badly, use a true Android device.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 09:30 AM
    BlackBerry should be allowed to update the runtime to the latest version that Google decides they will no longer support with Google Play Services. It only stands to reason that any device running any of the older versions of android is of no concern to them. By disallowing BlackBerry from using any older versions is simply a monopolizing tactic.
    So, Blackberry should have to revert the runtime to support Android 2.2, not up to 4.3?
    howarmat likes this.
    01-20-17 09:33 AM
    So, Blackberry should have to revert the runtime to support Android 2.2, not up to 4.3?
    Talking about the future not present. Sorry I was not specific enough.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 11:09 AM
    Talking about the future not present. Sorry I was not specific enough.

Posted via CB10
    That's the problem with your suggestion. Google Play Services is still fully supported on all Android OSs going back to 2.3. It will be years before they drop support for 4.4 just for BB10 to get it. BB10 will be long gone by then.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-20-17 11:20 AM
    That's true. I will likely be an Androider or Apple juicer by then lol

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 04:19 PM
    Utter failure? Like BB10? Well, it's in good company then. At least it hasn't resulted in billion dollar writeoffs and the company being put up for sale.

And amazingly, a 3rd party hardware manufacture has decided to license BB Android. In 2013 no one stepped forward to license BB10 when it was put out there. In 2016 no one stepped forward to license BB10 when it was put out there. Fancy that!
    Well, let's get this straight: if you don't invest anything and don't develop anything and you layoff 80% of your workforce you end up with far fewer sales of android BlackBerry than of bb10 BlackBerry. That's what happened and they still spent money (3 billion cash dropped to 1 Billion cash during Chen's reign).

If they didn't do any android BlackBerry they would have saved even more money and would have had more profit on the bb10 phones they continued to sell for another two years after they stopped making any bb10 phones.

In these two years they still sold more bb10 passports and classics at a profit, than privs or dteks.

So, yes Priv and BlackBerry android was a bigger failure than bb10. It was BlackBerry android with Google play that actually killed BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-26-17 12:07 AM
    I will buy MITO after I read this threat lol

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2206
    01-26-17 12:56 AM
    Well, let's get this straight: if you don't invest anything and don't develop anything and you layoff 80% of your workforce you end up with far fewer sales of android BlackBerry than of bb10 BlackBerry. That's what happened and they still spent money (3 billion cash dropped to 1 Billion cash during Chen's reign).

If they didn't do any android BlackBerry they would have saved even more money and would have had more profit on the bb10 phones they continued to sell for another two years after they stopped making any bb10 phones.

In these two years they still sold more bb10 passports and classics at a profit, than privs or dteks.

So, yes Priv and BlackBerry android was a bigger failure than bb10. It was BlackBerry android with Google play that actually killed BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Let's get this straight. There was never any profit on BB10 phones.

You think they laid off 80% of their workforce because BB10 was a success? I really think you need to revise your timeline. Layoffs are a symptom of failure, not a cause.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-26-17 05:15 AM
    Compare passport, classic sales to priv and Dtek. The passport sold more than priv and Dtek combined loool with out advertisement. Ppl use android because of game apps and social media.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 05:49 AM
    Compare passport, classic sales to priv and Dtek. The passport sold more than priv and Dtek combined loool with out advertisement. Ppl use android because of game apps and social media.

Posted via CB10
    Let's please stop this false narrative. It is crystal clear that many people need to use other platforms because their are business/professional apps they need for work.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 06:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    What a ridiculous comment... there are far less corporate apps for BB10 than any other platforms.
    01-26-17 07:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    You obviously don't understand the negative trend in Blackberry's sales and its reputation. BBOS and BB10 combined market share has declined steadily to where

People don't buy Blackberry now because of the reputation bestowed upon it with the failure of BB10.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...m-smartphones/

Please look at this graph and show me BB10's "surge" before the Priv was even released in Q4 2015.

Now try not to look at 2013, BB10's first year. Definitely was a success... if you're a short seller.
    01-26-17 10:17 AM
    But the guy is right: even though the Passport didn't save BB10, it was the best-selling BB10 phone ever and in sheer numbers it has outsold the Priv and DTEK by far. So at least the Passport wasn't an utter failure. But yes, BB10 never took that sweet 3rd spot of market share, unfortunately, so the layoffs are understandable. In the end, they want to make profit and sadly enough, BB10 didn't bring 'em said profit.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    01-26-17 04:34 PM
    But the guy is right: even though the Passport didn't save BB10, it was the best-selling BB10 phone ever and in sheer numbers it has outsold the Priv and DTEK by far. So at least the Passport wasn't an utter failure. But yes, BB10 never took that sweet 3rd spot of market share, unfortunately, so the layoffs are understandable. In the end, they want to make profit and sadly enough, BB10 didn't bring 'em said profit.

It wasn't a failure, but the company name had already been tarnished. The graph paints a clear picture of Blackberry's window of opportunity, when they needed to do something to turn heads. 2013 was way too late. And even in 2013, releasing an OS with no ecosystem was suicide. Every OS that gets released without a good 3rd party software library has failed thus far.
    01-26-17 05:03 PM

Passport was not the best selling bb10 device. Technically the z10 was
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-26-17 at 06:04 PM.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-26-17 05:50 PM
    Passport was not the best selling bb10 device. Technically the z10 was
    Still the world's shortest giant...
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-26-17 at 06:04 PM.
    01-26-17 05:51 PM
    Listening to my podcast today talking about how the U.S. Government had went to the major telecoms and told them that they have to lease their infrastructure to other companies in order to avoid monopolies and spur growth.
    Now I was wondering how that is different from how Google will not allow BlackBerry to update their Android runtime on BB10 phones, in order to make Android phones with Google Play Services on it. Couldn't the government or someone have the grounds to force Google to allow the use of the app store and update runtimes on other phones to run them? In fact Google does not own the apps and the software is supposed to be open source so why not. I find it puzzling why this predicament exists. I believe this is the same or similar argument the U.K. Is battling with Google over.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 08:32 PM
    Couldn't the government or someone have the grounds to force Google to allow the use of the app store and update runtimes on other phones to run them?
    No.
    01-26-17 08:44 PM
    No.
    Why

Not asking for Google Play Services just the run time

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 08:49 PM
    Listening to my podcast today talking about how the U.S. Government had went to the major telecoms and told them that they have to lease their infrastructure to other companies in order to avoid monopolies and spur growth.
    Now I was wondering how that is different from how Google will not allow BlackBerry to update their Android runtime on BB10 phones, in order to make Android phones with Google Play Services on it. Couldn't the government or someone have the grounds to force Google to allow the use of the app store and update runtimes on other phones to run them? In fact Google does not own the apps and the software is supposed to be open source so why not. I find it puzzling why this predicament exists. I believe this is the same or similar argument the U.K. Is battling with Google over.

Posted via CB10
    Not to say it hasn't been tried: BlackBerry CEO John Chen calls for 'app neutrality' | CrackBerry.com

Two problems with that. First, the idea itself screams of desperation. Second, the new administration doesn't seem too keen on neutrality, which is the example that Chen wanted to apply to smartphone apps.

Of course, that plan was from January 2015, well before the Priv and further devices that aren't on the wrong end of the app gap.
    01-26-17 08:55 PM
    Not to say it hasn't been tried: BlackBerry CEO John Chen calls for 'app neutrality' | CrackBerry.com

Two problems with that. First, the idea itself screams of desperation. Second, the new administration doesn't seem too keen on neutrality, which is the example that Chen wanted to apply to smartphone apps.

Of course, that plan was from January 2015, well before the Priv and further devices that aren't on the wrong end of the app gap.
    But I'm saying something different then what Chen was gunning for. I did not say that apps should be developed for BB10 I said that the Android runtime should be allowed to be updated. If that happens the the apps that do not require Google Play Services will function and need not be rewritten. It falls along the same line with what happened with the major telecoms. Now everyone piggy backs on Bell's infrastructure.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 09:16 PM
    But I'm saying something different then what Chen was gunning for. I did not say that apps should be developed for BB10 I said that the Android runtime should be allowed to be updated. If that happens the the apps that do not require Google Play Services will function and need not be rewritten. It falls along the same line with what happened with the major telecoms. Now everyone piggy backs on Bell's infrastructure.
    Google isn't saying that BB (or anyone else) can't make a runtime for their own OS. What they are saying is that they can't have it both ways. You can't make an official Android distribution as a full partner with GPS and also on the side make another Android distribution based on AOSP.

Companies are free to make a choice, but they can't choose both at the same time. BB chose to switch to an official Google supported Android for all their new phones.
    StephanieMaks and DrBoomBotz like this.
    01-26-17 09:31 PM
    Google isn't saying that BB (or anyone else) can't make a runtime for their own OS. What they are saying is that they can't have it both ways. You can't make an official Android distribution as a full partner with GPS and also on the side make another Android distribution based on AOSP.

Companies are free to make a choice, but they can't choose both at the same time. BB chose to switch to an official Google supported Android for all their new phones.
    But in that lies the problem. You won't have even app development on every platform and you can't use their runtime in order to access the apps that would allow their platform be it Windows phone 10 or BB10 or other to prosper. It does seem like a sort of monopoly snuffing out the competition. This does not sound like a fair base on which to build competition, innovation and optimal growth.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 09:49 PM
    I guess that's why we have seen so little innovation in computing in the last 15. Microsofts iron handed ruling of the PC OS market has prevented any growth or progression! Google is the new microsoft!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 09:59 PM
133 ... 23456