Ahm...are you claiming that BlackBerry Android with Google Play has been anything other than utter failure?

Posted via CB10
    Utter failure? Like BB10? Well, it's in good company then. At least it hasn't resulted in billion dollar writeoffs and the company being put up for sale.

And amazingly, a 3rd party hardware manufacture has decided to license BB Android. In 2013 no one stepped forward to license BB10 when it was put out there. In 2016 no one stepped forward to license BB10 when it was put out there. Fancy that!
    01-18-17 07:14 AM
    Utter failure? Like BB10? Well, it's in good company then. At least it hasn't resulted in billion dollar writeoffs and the company being put up for sale.

And amazingly, a 3rd party hardware manufacture has decided to license BB Android. In 2013 no one stepped forward to license BB10 when it was put out there. In 2016 no one stepped forward to license BB10 when it was put out there. Fancy that!
    "But it's still a failure because I can't handle reality reeeeeeeeeeeee"
    01-18-17 09:43 AM
    I work as an app developer and I can tell you that if you get our Android app from any other source other than Google Play Store, we cannot guarantee that the app you got is the same one we worked on.
    This needs to be repeated a 1,000 times. One of the main reasons people love BlackBerry is security. It's not secure to grab apks from unknown (to the developer) sources, especially if you then type your login credentials to something into that app!
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-18-17 02:06 PM
    So you are saying that a BlackBerry Droid device without the use of Google playstore is even less useful than a BlackBerry OS10 with all BBW app?
    I was comparing potential success of a GPS-less Android phone to ones with GPS (like DTEK[56]0). Success defined as sales.

Usefulness is a different thing, and really depends on your own use cases, of course. Personally I can't really use a phone as my main phone without ready, out of the box, no-kidding, no-BS access to Google Play or the Apple App Store. OTOH, for a hobby phone that I play with occasionally, it matters less.
    01-18-17 02:10 PM
    This needs to be repeated a 1,000 times. One of the main reasons people love BlackBerry is security. It's not secure to grab apks from unknown (to the developer) sources, especially if you then type your login credentials to something into that app!
    And then we see apps on BW that's Android-wrapped. Is it even certified to the original Android developer?

Trust needs to start somewhere objectively. A few bad apples shouldn't affect the image of other apples in the basket.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-18-17 05:46 PM
    no one 'wants' android as their core os. just keep using the apps that work and ditch the ones that dont. archive your versions in case something changes.

Posted via CBX
    01-18-17 06:29 PM
    And then we see apps on BW that's Android-wrapped. Is it even certified to the original Android developer?

Trust needs to start somewhere objectively. A few bad apples shouldn't affect the image of other apples in the basket.
    The trust is in the company running the app store. BlackBerry is responsible for monitoring their store and responding to complaints from developers or users who have issues.

Where I work people copy our apps (sometimes just the login screen) dozens of times a week and upload them to various stores. Apple is very good at catching this stuff before any users are affected. Google is not as proactive, but we send them lists of apps that we see in Play which we think are copies/rebundles of our apps or apps designed to steal our users' credentials, and Google will remove them quickly. It's not as safe as Apple, but in practice it's not bad. Few users are impacted.

If we sent that list to one of the Chinese "app stores" they would laugh at us and delete the message. They make no effort at all to police their store, and so you are very much on your own. Some people actually download banking apps from these stores or from random mega links. IMO, that's insane. People do it, though.
    01-18-17 06:30 PM
    no one 'wants' android as their core os. just keep using the apps that work and ditch the ones that dont. archive your versions in case something changes.

Posted via CBX
    Release the dogs with bees in their mouths!

No one? Not one person lol?

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 06:35 PM
    But you can't deny that keliew is at least right about the data mining part. Microsoft is mining your data, so are NSA, the British security, the Dutch AIVD, the Russian FSB, and many other companies... so you can't really use that as an argument to distrust Chinese app stores.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    Last edited by Vistaus; 01-19-17 at 02:30 AM.
    01-18-17 11:57 PM
    no one 'wants' android as their core os.
    Well, that's just flat-out false.
    01-19-17 08:53 AM
    Well, that's just flat-out false.
    I stand corrected. someone actually wants that mess.

Posted via CBX
    01-19-17 09:10 AM
    I stand corrected. someone actually wants that mess.

Posted via CBX
    if by someone you mean a billion+ then yes
    01-19-17 09:15 AM
    you think the android userbase exists because they want android?
    :c\

Posted via CBX
    01-19-17 09:43 AM
    But you can't deny that keliew is at least right about the data mining part. Microsoft is mining your data, so are NSA, the British security, the Dutch AIVD, the Russian FSB, and many other companies... so you can't really use that as an argument to distrust Chinese app stores.
    So the concern is with criminals who make or alter apps that steal people's credentials. The Chinese stores offer no protection against this. Are you saying that because intelligence agencies monitor traffic, we might as well just go all in and give these criminal gangs our banking credentials also?

I mean, why not right? In for a penny, in for a pound?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-19-17 10:42 AM
    :c\
    Most people in the world prefer Android phones. That's the overwhelming choice of most people, right?
    01-19-17 10:44 AM
    Most people in the world prefer Android phones. That's the overwhelming choice of most people, right?
    I disagree. I think they buy them for the low cost and easy app access. good or bad as they may be.

Posted via CBX
    01-19-17 10:49 AM
    I disagree. I think they buy them for the low cost and easy app access. good or bad as they may be.

Posted via CBX
    Samsung phones are not low cost and dominate.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 10:50 AM
    People have chosen Android (to the tune of 88% of the world market) because of the huge range of price points, high level of OS customization, and compatibility with apps. Most people don't worry too much about fragmentation or security. Although, as far as the later is concerned, Android is making large strides recently, particularly if locked down by EMM.
    01-19-17 11:06 AM
    If we sent that list to one of the Chinese "app stores" they would laugh at us and delete the message. They make no effort at all to police their store, and so you are very much on your own. Some people actually download banking apps from these stores or from random mega links. IMO, that's insane. People do it, though.
    I don't think it'd only be Chinese app stores. A lot of mobile phone brands, e.g. Samsung, have their own app stores. Where's the control in that?

While there are tons of Chinese app stores, the main one is still Baidu's. And if you really look at how they do it, they actually do it pretty good compare to Google. They even have an app that actively scans an app which enables online payment or banking to ensure there's no phishing, trojan, etc involved. They have apps to keep the health of your phone in tip top condition. Miles better than anything I ever use or can download from Play. Even BlackBerry Android don't scan what they do for in security analytics of the installed apps etc. They also update their apps pretty fast.

Sadly, it's not in English.

On the hindsight, you'd be surprised how serious Chinese people handle their privacy and security comparatively to others.

01-19-17 12:14 PM
    I don't think it'd only be Chinese app stores. A lot of mobile phone brands, e.g. Samsung, have their own app stores. Where's the control in that?

While there are tons of Chinese app stores, the main one is still Baidu's. And if you really look at how they do it, they actually do it pretty good compare to Google. They even have an app that actively scans an app which enables online payment or banking to ensure there's no phishing, trojan, etc involved. They have apps to keep the health of your phone in tip top condition. Miles better than anything I ever use or can download from Play. Even BlackBerry Android don't scan what they do for in security analytics of the installed apps etc. They also update their apps pretty fast.

Sadly, it's not in English.

On the hindsight, you'd be surprised how serious Chinese people handle their privacy and security comparatively to others.

Because Samsung has a reputation to uphold.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 12:34 PM
    Just because you're upset that BB10 failed, doesn't mean Android is bad or other people only use it because they can't afford anything else.
    01-19-17 12:46 PM
    Because Samsung has a reputation to uphold.

Posted via CB10
    With that in mind, BlackBerry could do it too. The partnership with Amazon only disappointed pretty much everyone.

01-19-17 01:23 PM
    With that in mind, BlackBerry could do it too. The partnership with Amazon only disappointed pretty much everyone.

And that's the point. They can't.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 02:04 PM
    And that's the point. They can't.

Posted via CB10
    I thought the point was, they can if they don't use Google Play. In other words, they could if they manage their own repository and not use Play.

01-20-17 01:56 AM
    BlackBerry should be allowed to update the runtime to the latest version that Google decides they will no longer support with Google Play Services. It only stands to reason that any device running any of the older versions of android is of no concern to them. By disallowing BlackBerry from using any older versions is simply a monopolizing tactic.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 07:42 AM
133 12345 ...