It's not. BlackBerry Android Runtime will not get any updates...the current version you have is it.

Respect My Autoritah!
    01-15-17 08:58 AM
    It would have been just a big of a failure. No Android phone has been a success in the western world without Google Play store installed on it.
    I know it's not anywhere near the sales numbers of something like, say, a Galaxy S7 but the Fairphone has been selling reasonably well in Europe without Google Play.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    01-15-17 03:57 PM
    I know it's not anywhere near the sales numbers of something like, say, a Galaxy S7 but the Fairphone has been selling reasonably well in Europe without Google Play.

Care to provide a source for that? From what I know the Amazon firephone has been considered a failure in terms of sales.
    01-15-17 04:10 PM
    About as likely as native app development coming back from the dead.

But who needs apps, BB10 is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for a RIM 950...

Any particular reason why you're on a BB forum being extremely negative about a BlackBerry product that many people on here like?
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-15-17 04:18 PM
    Care to provide a source for that? From what I know the Amazon firephone has been considered a failure in terms of sales.
    Care to read my post? I didn't say anything about the Amazon Firephone. I said FAIRphone. As in: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairphone

01-15-17 04:48 PM

Google Services are preinstalled, the open source (i.e. Google-less) OS is optional.
    01-15-17 05:38 PM
    Any particular reason why you're on a BB forum being extremely negative about a BlackBerry product that many people on here like?
    Because this isn't your safe space?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-15-17 05:40 PM
    Liking BlackBerry and the BB10 OS doesn't mean you have to be delusional.

I like BlackBerry a lot, still using my Z10. But I'm also a realist and don't see BB10 being on my next phone.

Thurask has been a great contributor to this forum. But, he also tells it the way it is.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-15-17 06:23 PM
    Google Services are preinstalled, the open source (i.e. Google-less) OS is optional.
    If I buy it here it doesn't have the Google Services installed so maybe it's different for every country.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    01-15-17 11:46 PM
    Care to read my post? I didn't say anything about the Amazon Firephone. I said FAIRphone. As in: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairphone

My bad, but on their own official website it says: "Android™ 5.1 Lollipop. Google apps and Play Store pre-installed."

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/
    01-16-17 03:08 AM
    My bad, but on their own official website it says: "Android™ 5.1 Lollipop. Google apps and Play Store pre-installed."

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/
    Also read my previous post (above yours).

01-16-17 02:50 PM
    Also read my previous post (above yours).

Unless we can get some numbers on how many were sold with and without Google Play services installed, I think it's safe to assume that it should not be given as an example of how to succeed without Google Play services.

I still find it hard to believe that it would ship some phones with Google Play and some without. If you already have the licence to install Google Play, I see no advantage to ship a phone without.
    01-16-17 03:02 PM
    As you all know that #BlackBerry10 has #Android 4.XX (jelly bean) runtime. Now a days I am having trouble with some apps thay thy don't support jelly bean. I assume in future 70% apps will stop working on jelly bean and google might end 4.XX OS as it did same with all bellow OS's. Is there any hope of using android run time? Will #BlackBerry push marshmallow runtime kind of update in #BlackBerry10 ?

#BlackBerryQ10
    We will have to find apps that we want in third party stores like Aptoide and others. There you can find older versions that perhaps still worked before they implemented Google Play Services in that app.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 03:29 PM

I still find it hard to believe that it would ship some phones with Google Play and some without. If you already have the licence to install Google Play, I see no advantage to ship a phone without.
    Because, at the moment, Google Play is banned in China.

At least for now. That seems to change every other year. For a while, it was allowed but paid apps where banned. Today, it seems to be under an outright ban. So all those Chinese phones sold in China can't have Google Play installed, while the same phone sold outside of China can.

Posted via CB10
    rolfep likes this.
    01-16-17 04:39 PM
    Because, at the moment, Google Play is banned in China.

At least for now. That seems to change every other year. For a while, it was allowed but paid apps where banned. Today, it seems to be under an outright ban. So all those Chinese phones sold in China can't have Google Play installed, while the same phone sold outside of China can.

Posted via CB10
    I'm from the Netherlands, not from China...

01-16-17 11:45 PM
    I'm from the Netherlands, not from China...

Okay. I wasn't commenting on that.

I was commenting on why it's really not so unusual that some manufacturers release android phones with and without Google Play.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-17-17 01:13 AM
    I run my DTEK50 without even touching Google Play. I use the Chinese android store to get all what I want. It also has a newer update of Google apps than Play itself, wherein it's the beta version rather than the release version. It's English too.

Am in Europe.

So you don't really need Google Play to work things out. You just need the critical mass and right platform. Saying you can't get away from Play is just delusional and looking for excuse not to find a way.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    01-17-17 03:03 AM
    I run my DTEK50 without even touching Google Play. I use the Chinese android store to get all what I want. It also has a newer update of Google apps than Play itself, wherein it's the beta version rather than the release version. It's English too.

Am in Europe.

So you don't really need Google Play to work things out. You just need the critical mass and right platform. Saying you can't get away from Play is just delusional and looking for excuse not to find a way.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    Good for you, but you should be aware of the risks of using such stores. The apps you get from there are taken from google play and re-hosted without the consent of the app developers (that's why you see some beta versions). However you get less security because these stores may have normally safe apps infected with malware. I would trust app security to Google any day of the week instead of some unknown Chinese app store.

Also do these apps also require Google Play services? If yes, then all your effort in not using Google Play Store is in vain. if they are not using it, that means that the apps have been "patched" (similar to what people do here on CB) and who knows what kind of workaround and security vulnerabilities (including malware) were introduced.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-17-17 05:40 AM
    Okay. I wasn't commenting on that.

I was commenting on why it's really not so unusual that some manufacturers release android phones with and without Google Play.

Posted via CB10
    True, I knew that, but we were talking about an Android phone without Google Play being a success in the western markets, not China. So far, nobody managed to do so.
    01-17-17 05:41 AM
    It would have been just a big of a failure. No Android phone has been a success in the western world without Google Play store installed on it.
    Ahm...are you claiming that BlackBerry Android with Google Play has been anything other than utter failure?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-17 10:31 PM
    Ahm...are you claiming that BlackBerry Android with Google Play has been anything other than utter failure?
    I think the point is that a BB Android phone without Google Play would have been even less successful than that.

Having Google Play is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for success in western countries.
    Soulstream and howarmat like this.
    01-17-17 10:57 PM
    I think the point is that a BB Android phone without Google Play would have been even less successful than that.

Having Google Play is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for success in western countries.
    So you are saying that a BlackBerry Droid device without the use of Google playstore is even less useful than a BlackBerry OS10 with all BBW app?

Thing is I wouldn't trust Google at all sucking up any data they are able to get hold on, specifically with there "Google services" needed to make any use of a Droid mobile in the 1st place, wouldn't open a Google account anyway so what's the benefit of having a BlackBerry patched Droid device compare to BlackBerry OS10 in that sort of setup?

Posted via - OS-10.3.++ device, it's all you need
    01-18-17 02:22 AM
    I would trust app security to Google any day of the week instead of some unknown Chinese app store.
    Sure, I understand the concerns which you have as well as from many others.

Fact is, security is much more highly regarded in China than other countries, which I am experiencing. While the myth of malware exists for most, if not all, Chinese apps, the reality is very different.

Data mining is everywhere, question is, what are they doing with your data.

It's best not to jump into conclusions without really having firsthand experience and knowledge.
    01-18-17 03:43 AM

Fact is, security is much more highly regarded in China than other countries, which I am experiencing. While the myth of malware exists for most, if not all, Chinese apps, the reality is very different.

It's best not to jump into conclusions without really having firsthand experience and knowledge.
    If that is true, then great. There have just been warnings and "download at your own risk" statements for years on CB regarding some of the Chinese app stores.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 06:18 AM

I work as an app developer and I can tell you that if you get our Android app from any other source other than Google Play Store, we cannot guarantee that the app you got is the same one we worked on.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-18-17 06:56 AM
133 1234 ...