I did a quick search and couldn't find clear answers but does anybody know if the android runtime that is on bb10 going to ever be updated again? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Passport or the Priv, I like BB10 more than android but I do have a handful of android apps that I need in my phone to work properly and I suspect soon enough the Jellybean runtime is going to be outdated, every time I download an android app on my z30 I have to cross my fingers and hope that it will work properly. If BB10 is going to be stuck on Jellybean forever then I will have to get the Priv instead.
    11-11-15 05:12 PM
    I did a quick search and couldn't find clear answers but does anybody know if the android runtime that is on bb10 going to ever be updated again? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Passport or the Priv, I like BB10 more than android but I do have a handful of android apps that I need in my phone to work properly and I suspect soon enough the Jellybean runtime is going to be outdated, every time I download an android app on my z30 I have to cross my fingers and hope that it will work properly. If BB10 is going to be stuck on Jellybean forever then I will have to get the Priv instead.
    An update for BlackBerry� 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog

"Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 – BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the current release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World. There are no plans to remove the Android Runtime from BlackBerry 10."
    11-11-15 05:15 PM
    So that's a no? from what I had understood is that the blackberry 10 phones currently have a Jellybean runtime meaning if I download an app that only works on lollipop and up then it won't work. I want to know if they're going to upgrade the android emulator, Jellybean is already several years old.
    11-11-15 05:20 PM
    So that's a no? from what I had understood is that the blackberry 10 phones currently have a Jellybean runtime meaning if I download an app that only works on lollipop and up then it won't work. I want to know if they're going to upgrade the android emulator, Jellybean is already several years old.
    Ask Chen...

Passport on 10.3.2 steroids
    11-11-15 06:20 PM
    And the app gap will widen as newer apps are not backward compatible.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 06:57 PM
    Its a no.
    The runtime will not be upgraded.
    11-11-15 08:11 PM
    And the app gap will widen as newer apps are not backward compatible.

Posted via CB10
    Luckily though, more and more services get good working websites now.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 12:48 AM
    Luckily though, more and more services get good working websites now.

Posted via CB10
    Yes but not always convenient. Apps are formatted ideally for phones providing relevant info and are easier to maneuver.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 05:39 AM
    I see, I was afraid of this.
    11-12-15 08:10 AM
    Just do not upgrade the current Android apps you have that are working properly.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-12-15 09:36 AM
    Just do not upgrade the current Android apps you have that are working properly.

Posted via CB10

^^^^^^^^THIS is important and good advice for anyone wanting to use a BB10 device for the foreseeable future. If your app is working quite well DO NOT update it from the Google Play Store (or Snap) for the sake of it being an update. Many updates will screw up your experience. Just because it is newer, doesn't always mean better. It is good practice to back up all your good working android apps so that if you update by mistake, you can roll back to a previous version. There will be, of course, a time when these apps will no longer work at all, so enjoy them until that time comes.

edit: also do any updates through the Amazon app store if you can as these apps do not required google play services. I have several android apps that have either updates through google play OR Amazon and I always choose Amazon even if they are older versions.
    11-12-15 09:45 AM