On my BB10 phone I use 2 Android apps that I would have a hard time living without:

-Google maps
    -Naver Line (very common messaging app in Asia)

As the Android runtime is almost certainly not going to be updated in BB10, what is the lifespan/backwards compatibility of Android apps generally like?

For Example: With BB10 can we expect to continue to use Android apps going forward, but only lose the ability to update, keeping us on older versions? Or will the older android apps at some point become non-functioning as newer Android versions are introduced? Case by case?
    03-21-16 06:34 PM
    As 1/3 of a droid users are still using Jellybean and prior, apps are not typically rendered unusable if you stay on older versions.
    slegros likes this.
    03-21-16 08:12 PM
    It really comes down to the service itself. For any online service, there's the chance that they update APIs or security or something else that requires a new version of the client in order to work, or that a security hole is discovered that forces a lock-out of older versions. There's no way to predict that kind of thing, but they do happen from time to time. That's why the BB10 Facebook app no longer works, and why Whatsapp will likely stop working at the end of the year.

Your apps could work for 5 more years, or could break tomorrow. There's really no way to know for sure. It will be another 2 years before Jellybean support is phased out, based on past history, so at least you have some breathing room there. But that doesn't prevent individual apps from making KitKat or even Lollipop their minimum supported OS version.
    03-21-16 09:29 PM
    Google map has alternatives in BBW. They are not as good as Gmap but they do the job. Just so you know you have a backup solution.
    The app that makes minimum Os requirement as 4.4 and above is the new app, which you dont need. Android apps you are using are big apps. You will be fine.

Posted via Passport Silver Edition 
    03-22-16 10:15 AM
    Google map has alternatives in BBW
    BeMaps Pro (which is Google Maps) and Maps.Me are good alternatives. I like Maps.Me, especially for off-line use.
    03-22-16 10:18 AM
    BeMaps Pro (which is Google Maps) and Maps.Me are good alternatives. I like Maps.Me, especially for off-line use.
    Yup, Maps.Me is great for offline and Navigation. There are old Bar. Files of Google Maps that work.
    03-27-16 08:36 AM