Say No to android apps ported to BlackBerry.
    Who is with me?

Posted via CB10
    OWCA83 likes this.
    12-19-13 05:06 AM
    ?

What are you really trying to imply here?

?

Encrypted via OS 10.2.1.1055 on my Z10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    12-19-13 05:09 AM
    Me!!! Androidapps - No thanks!
    12-19-13 05:20 AM
    If it was a choice between an Android port and no app I would choose the Android port any day. However with future OS updates increasing the ability to run Android apps then the ported apps become pointless.

Posted via CB10
    Barljo likes this.
    12-19-13 05:27 AM
    And your rational for this?

Why all the hate? Why not judge an app on its own merits? If the app performs well then why not thank the developer for at least taking the time to port it and submit it to BlackBerry World, especially when most can't be bothered?

People complain apps aren't available and then when a developer extends and olive branch you tell him/her to go screw themselves because it's not 'exactly' what you wanted..even though it works perfectly.. no wonder dev's don't want to support us. Why would they even consider building native in the future when their first forey into BlackBerry was met with such a lousy ungreatful attitude?

/rant

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 05:29 AM
    Let us be more constructive. Instead of denying everything and behaving like elitists, (if you remember the day instagram was made available to android users and iphone users were screaming left and right as if their holy ground got sacrileged, yea it was that bad in some places), I think we can do better.

I think we should try to encourage developers to actually attempt to convert the applications, since its not going to cost them baziilions more, and there is a team of devs in BlackBerry willing to help. I think that may be a better approach.
    just_luc and kbz1960 like this.
    12-19-13 05:34 AM
    And your rational for this?

Why all the hate? Why not judge an app on its own merits? If the app performs well then why not thank the developer for at least taking the time to port it and submit it to BlackBerry World, especially when most can't be bothered?

People complain apps aren't available and then when a developer extends and olive branch you tell him/her to go screw themselves because it's not 'exactly' what you wanted..even though it works perfectly.. no wonder dev's don't want to support us. Why would they even consider building native in the future when their first forey into BlackBerry was met with such a lousy ungreatful attitude?

/rant

Posted via CB10
    Your point just closed my mouth for a moment because I sort of share the sentiments of the OP. I do not want anything Google on my device and I do not use any ported apps (my app needs are short so fortunately what I do need has native apps.) At any rate, you sure make a good point in terms of the devs. What to do then? Either do what I don't want to do and use the Android runtime or keep going as I do?

Heck of a point you make sir.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    12-19-13 08:49 AM
    Your point just closed my mouth for a moment because I sort of share the sentiments of the OP. I do not want anything Google on my device and I do not use any ported apps (my app needs are short so fortunately what I do need has native apps.) At any rate, you sure make a good point in terms of the devs. What to do then? Either do what I don't want to do and use the Android runtime or keep going as I do?

Hey if you don't need the apps don't use em. No problem there. I just wish people would stop complaining when we get a port. The whinning is incessant. And have you looked at the reviews in BlackBerry World for ported apps? Every second comment is "ugh another port, why bother " "make native or I don't want it" etc. Don't get me wrong if it doesn't work, write that. But some people complain JUST because it's a port. Regardless of if it works flawlessly. I think that's insulting to the few dev's who've given us the time of day by porting their apps. Let's get them on the platform, let them get their feet wet.. let the fact that they are in BlackBerry World attract more customers and let the fact that there's then more customers convince them to go native next year.

That said, I've heard a few people use that "I don't want anything google on my device" line.. and to each it's own, but I'm not sure where that logic comes from.. I could see you saying you don't want to install Google maps, Google music ect.. but the android version of paypal for example just to pick one off the top of my head.. that's not google.. it's paypal.. it was designed to be run on android.. but it in itself isn't android. It's just paypal.. I liken that to saying I don't like Chrysler, and Chrysler ships it's cars with good year tires. So i'm not buying good year tires for my ford. Ford ships with Micheline tires so that's what I buy. I mean ok if that's what you want to do, your choice... but there's nothing wrong with putting good year tires on a Ford.. that won't turn it into a Chrysler.

(note: I have no idea what tire brands Chrysler and ford use respectively nor do I have a preference between either or own either, purely an analogy so please don't correct the content)

Posted via CB10
    CMcRob, apfx, WanShark69 and 4 others like this.
    12-19-13 10:02 AM
    If apps keep getting rejected because they are ports, you will soon find NO BODY developing for BB, then where will the ingrates be?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    WanShark69 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-19-13 10:22 AM
    I think we need some means to collect feedback about the port as a port. I'd like to see that in BlackBerry World along with the reviews.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 10:25 AM
    Hey if you don't need the apps don't use em. No problem there. I just wish people would stop complaining when we get a port. The whinning is incessant. And have you looked at the reviews in BlackBerry World for ported apps? Every second comment is "ugh another port, why bother " "make native or I don't want it" etc. Don't get me wrong if it doesn't work, write that. But some people complain JUST because it's a port. Regardless of if it works flawlessly. I think that's insulting to the few dev's who've given us the time of day by porting their apps. Let's get them on the platform, let them get their feet wet.. let the fact that they are in BlackBerry World attract more customers and let the fact that there's then more customers convince them to go native next year.

That said, I've heard a few people use that "I don't want anything google on my device" line.. and to each it's own, but I'm not sure where that logic comes from.. I could see you saying you don't want to install Google maps, Google music ect.. but the android version of paypal for example just to pick one off the top of my head.. that's not google.. it's paypal.. it was designed to be run on android.. but it in itself isn't android. It's just paypal.. I liken that to saying I don't like Chrysler, and Chrysler ships it's cars with good year tires. So i'm not buying good year tires for my ford. Ford ships with Micheline tires so that's what I buy. I mean ok if that's what you want to do, your choice... but there's nothing wrong with putting good year tires on a Ford.. that won't turn it into a Chrysler.

(note: I have no idea what tire brands Chrysler and ford use respectively nor do I have a preference between either or own either, purely an analogy so please don't correct the content)

Posted via CB10

Those tires are made/ intended to be used by Chrysler.
    Would you take the tire out of a Toyota and put it on your Chrysler?
    Why not, they are both round no?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 10:53 AM
    Wrong.
    illlya likes this.
    12-19-13 11:47 AM
    I say No to your No. Android ports as a temporary try until the developer writes a native one for us sounds better...

Trusted Member Genius on a Z10
    12-19-13 12:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    If it worked the same or better then yes, a lot of people would. Especially, if they are cheaper and if there is no Chrysler tires left for sale.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 12:47 PM
    Wrong.
    I meant specifications radius , width
    12-19-13 12:55 PM
    If it worked the same or better then yes, a lot of people would. Especially, if they are cheaper and if there is no Chrysler tires left for sale.
    Posted via CB10
    Android ports cannot work better and they do not work the same as the native apps.
    12-19-13 12:56 PM
    Android ports can be convenient even though not all of them work flawlessly on all devices. More importantly, I think that people who don't want any of them because they prefer a native app should keep expressing themselves on BlackBerry World so that businesses are aware of what BlackBerry users want.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 01:06 PM
    Android ports - Thank You!

I do not have the time or inclination to write programming code. I do not care what it is written in. If it adds functionality I need to my phone I will run it. Do you have an issue with C or Java or Perl or COBOL or DOS or Unix or HTML5 or Flash or ... ?

Don't like Android; don't run it. I for one will run it happily.
    12-19-13 01:28 PM
    I don't care for them either, but I won't say NO to an Android ported app if it helps me get things done.

The one I use most is my Charles Schwab banking app. I'm only on there for like...less than a minute or two at a time, every once in a while, so to me, apps like this are fine side loaded.

When it comes to Android apps in BlackBerry World, I wish there were a way BlackBerry could notate them. Maybe in the corner of app icons in BlackBerry World there could be the little green Android robot, like how the Built For BlackBerry apps have the BlackBerry logo on their bottom right corner.

That way there would be no surprises when it comes to Android ported apps, and people would know what they're getting into.
    KemKev likes this.
    12-19-13 01:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    If they fit? Sure..

I get that you are implying they don't fit.. but again, re-read what I said.. IF THE APP DOESN'T WORK.. then fine.. write that.. all I'm saying is don't complain for the sole reason that it's a port. Try it, evaluate it on its own merits.
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-19-13 02:49 PM
    Don't be stupid.
    Some/quite a lot of android ports are good.
    We want developers to port their apps.
    People are quick to point out how flakey early versions of android were. Or similar comments regarding initial version of os 10 before 10.1 MR. Android ports can only get better. When developers have ported a few apps they will realize what ports well and what does not they may even develop app with a mind to porting them.
    WanShark69 likes this.
    12-19-13 04:05 PM

It depwnds on what is the intended end game result. I want an end game where as a Blackzberry device user I can use the apps natively made for BlackBerry.

However, I think the better approach to the end game is to try to convince the devs to try and convert it natively, not by making a boycott.
    12-19-13 06:23 PM
    Android ports - Thank You!

I do not have the time or inclination to write programming code. I do not care what it is written in. If it adds functionality I need to my phone I will run it. Do you have an issue with C or Java or Perl or COBOL or DOS or Unix or HTML5 or Flash or ... ?

Don't like Android; don't run it. I for one will run it happily.
    I dislike Flash and look down my nose at Flash-ite 'Developers'.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 07:47 PM