There is a Chinese phone Xiaomi mi4 that was sold with android as the os Xiaomi released a Windows 10 rom for it that customers could install to change the os if they pleased.
    I think choice is great and let the market choose android BlackBerry or bb10 BlackBerry
    Posted via CB10
    Budget constrained folks can interpret this akin to a coup because Xiaomi beats any device out there with the kind of specs they offer at given price point. If am into Window Phones I'll happily skip over to Xiaomi just for the hardware it has.
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    07-29-15 11:54 AM
    A dual boot phone. Use either os at whim depending on situations.
    07-29-15 02:53 PM
    I am not interest in Android, maybe I could say that after a long experience with some Android premium handsets, I started to hate it and I landed to BlackBerry 10 again with big satisfaction.
    acovey and gfondeur like this.
    07-29-15 04:04 PM
    I'm sure this idea will make those that like to push Android on Blackberry happy, but I personally think that Blackberry is fine with BB10. Sure, it's not making record sales or anything, but there is more to an OS than just sales and numbers.
    anon(4067838) and gfondeur like this.
    07-29-15 05:02 PM
    Congrats. As a CrackBerry Genius I must shoot down this idea lol. Option of choosing which to download upon startup would take far too long for most people who just want to power on and be ready to use it. And having both already downloaded/installed and picking one isn't really practical - and would take up too much memory to have two OS' in one phone.

Posted with my  Classic
    Really? A BB10 OTA is about 1.4 GB, Android ROMs are about the same size if not smaller. The phone has 8 GB or more depending on the model. It would be simple to install one and have the image for the other stored in flash to replace the first. When the user decides discard the unwanted OS.

However I doubt we will ever see it.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    07-29-15 09:22 PM
    Sure, it's not making record sales or anything, but there is more to an OS than just sales and numbers.
    Not to the shareholders of a publicly traded company.
    jmr1015, Witmen and app_Developer like this.
    07-29-15 09:27 PM
    Haha, thanks. But what do you really think? Would it be even possible?

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    A Blackberry runs BBOS or BB10 it DOES NOT run Android, if it used Android it would NOT be a Blackberry.
    07-29-15 09:33 PM
    A Blackberry runs BBOS or BB10 it DOES NOT run Android, if it used Android it would NOT be a Blackberry.
    Maybe not yet!

07-29-15 09:48 PM
    The last thing you want to do is to present your new user with a highly technical decision, such as what OS to choose, as the first thing the are faced with out of the box. Especially, if the decision is not easily reversible once you have begun setting up the device.

Apple built a mobile empire by making their devices easier to use than the existing competition. You may think you are giving your customer more options but what you are really doing is telling them that you don't know where you are going with your platform strategy.
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-29-15 11:04 PM
    Maybe not yet!

For me NOT EVER.
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-29-15 11:46 PM
    why dont you put a poll to vote this ?
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-30-15 12:31 AM
    The last thing you want to do is to present your new user with a highly technical decision, such as what OS to choose, as the first thing the are faced with out of the box. Especially, if the decision is not easily reversible once you have begun setting up the device.

Apple built a mobile empire by making their devices easier to use than the existing competition. You may think you are giving your customer more options but what you are really doing is telling them that you don't know where you are going with your platform strategy.
    Surely people would be aware of the option BEFORE buying the device. Would you just go out and buy a new device that you knew nothing about? Why would you reverse it? That's just like buying an iPhone and then wanting it to run Android. I'm talking about making one device and buyer then installs their OS of choice, decision made and final. As it stands, no one really knows which way BlackBerry are going to go as far as OS goes anyway.
    Maybe they will support both Android and BB10 (although I find this highly unlikely when they are cutting staff/costs).
    I don't think people understand what I'm getting at here. Rather than making say, 1 million new Sliders with Android and 1 million sliders with BB10, and being uncertain as to which will sell more of and risk being stuck with unwanted inventory, why not just make 2 million sliders and buyer gets to choose once and once only, then their choice of OS is loaded. People know if they want an Android phone, while others, me included, would choose BB10. Keeps everyone happy and no wasted stock.
    If they dump BB10 and go with Android only, a lot of people will be pissed off. If they stick with BB10 only, even with Android runtime and lack of Google services, people will still complain of lack of Apps.
    Anyway, like I said, it was just a thought after a few beers and thought I'd put it out there. Probably isn't possible anyway, with OHA requirements and whatever else. I suppose we will find out sooner or later what the outcome is. Hopefully they keep BB10 and come to some agreement with Google to allow all the Android apps that people want, win/win for everyone. I personally am more than happy with BB10 as it is, and the Amazon app store gives me additional choice of apps if I need something that I can't get on BBW. I only have a couple of Android apps such as Tune-in radio, Netflix and Microsoft office mobile installed, that's all I really need.
    But look guys, each to their own. Hopefully BlackBerry can find a way to keep most people happy and sell more devices. At the end of the day this is what we all want.
    Thanks for everyone's input!!

07-30-15 12:38 AM
    why dont you put a poll to vote this ?
    Not sure if I can add it now? Might look into it.

07-30-15 12:39 AM
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Handset_Alliance
    As part of its efforts to promote a unified Android platform, OHA members are contractually forbidden from producing devices that are based on incompatible forks of Android.
    OHA approval is required for Google Play services. That means that a Blackberry Android cannot be secured to the point that it breaks 100% compatibility with Android software (including malware, as a side effect) and Blackberry cannot sell BB10 with it's android runtime. I'm not sure if it means that BB10 with the ART stripped out would be okay, but irregardless it would devastate the app selection for remaining BB10 phones.
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    07-30-15 02:41 AM
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Handset_Alliance

OHA approval is required for Google Play services. That means that a Blackberry Android cannot be secured to the point that it breaks 100% compatibility with Android software (including malware, as a side effect) and Blackberry cannot sell BB10 with it's android runtime. I'm not sure if it means that BB10 with the ART stripped out would be okay, but irregardless it would devastate the app selection for remaining BB10 phones.
    Thanks Graham. I guess the next few months will definitely be interesting.

07-30-15 02:55 AM
    I don't see the need for a choose-your-OS device. It's adding a needless complication.

If BlackBerry wanted to, and was able to, support both BB10 or full Google Android on the same device, I see it being way more likely and practical that you simply choose your OS when ordering your phone... just like you would choose your color.
    07-30-15 02:58 AM
    Hi guys,
    Just a thought, but how about this:
    If BlackBerry decide to go Android OS on new devices, will they still offer BB10 as well? If so, instead of offering a BB10 handset or an Android handset, what if you could choose your OS at first Power up? That is, say with the new slider, rather than making two handsets, one for each OS, they just build the one handset but when you first turn it on, you have the choice of BB10 OS or Android, then it will install the chosen OS? Not sure of the legalities as far Google's OHA agreement or whether it is even possible to accomplish, but I reckon this would be very cool and would save them the confusion of how many of each handset to produce. It would also be a cost saving and no risk of whether one or the other would not sell as much as anticipated, leaving a stockpile of inventory. Even better if they can still incorporate Google services in the BB10 version giving us the best of both worlds.
    Call me crazy, but what do you guys think of this idea?

I know guys on Crack who make more sense than you do.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 03:18 AM
    I know guys on Crack who make more sense than you do.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, whatever. I don't associate with junkies!

07-30-15 03:38 AM
    For me, shure BB10, but it can have better android integration.

As main system Android is to complicated and confuse.

The hub, how you send stuff it is far, far above any other mobile OS, the BB10, so change this is really bad idea.

I hope BlackBerry has good sense.

Best regards ArchGalileu - Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2339
    07-30-15 05:37 AM
    Really another post about this? Seriously?

Posted via CB10
    You read the title, you clicked the link and you posted.

Why not just carry on with your business lol
    07-30-15 06:16 AM
    Hi guys,
    Just a thought, but how about this:
    If BlackBerry decide to go Android OS on new devices, will they still offer BB10 as well? If so, instead of offering a BB10 handset or an Android handset, what if you could choose your OS at first Power up? That is, say with the new slider, rather than making two handsets, one for each OS, they just build the one handset but when you first turn it on, you have the choice of BB10 OS or Android, then it will install the chosen OS? Not sure of the legalities as far Google's OHA agreement or whether it is even possible to accomplish, but I reckon this would be very cool and would save them the confusion of how many of each handset to produce. It would also be a cost saving and no risk of whether one or the other would not sell as much as anticipated, leaving a stockpile of inventory. Even better if they can still incorporate Google services in the BB10 version giving us the best of both worlds.
    Call me crazy, but what do you guys think of this idea?
    If it is possible then count me in lol

I would love a phone with more then 1 OS to keep me interested.
    07-30-15 06:18 AM
    what if the handset came with bb10 and you had the choice to download and install droid instead of bb10 maybe that would be a better way to go .now I would be happy with that ,and if that is what it took to keep blackberry making phones then I'm all for it BUT if blackberry went all droid then I for one would not buy any more blackberry phone as it would not be blackberry any more
    I would want the BB OS of course. BUT if the form factor of the device is not all-touch then it doesn't matter what it boots to. We have to get the physical device we want first...and a slider isn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
    07-30-15 06:44 AM
    I need bb10 with Google services for apps. This would be the best combination to win market share again.

Z30 10.3.2.2339 thru CB10
    True,based combination for Google to win BlackBerry's user as "marketing" target. Exact same thing as you said.

Google services are the most expensive ever, only you don't see it at first.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 06:49 AM
    Thanks Usman,
    But still a very long way behind you mate!!
    Cute... I wonder what he would say if he saw JayDee's post count...
    07-30-15 09:32 AM
    Take the blue pill or the red pill?

But seriously, I agree with the poster above who mentioned that the OS should be pre-installed. HTC did this with the M8, where you could purchase an android or Windows model.
    07-30-15 09:39 AM
65 123