Glossing over some of the the features of Android N it seems that Google is taking a page from Blackberry BB10.

Surprise! Google releases Android N Developer Preview

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-09-16 11:10 PM
    Such as?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 11:16 PM
    Let me guess... Multi-window mode?

*A3-A20
    03-09-16 11:40 PM
    Such as?

Posted via CB10
    Ability of users to reply to incoming notifications right from the notifications shade, or like BB10's toast notifications.

http://developer.android.com/preview...es.html#direct

And Direct Boot is something we've already been rocking in BB10.

Last edited by djdragon; 03-09-16 at 11:59 PM.
    03-09-16 11:45 PM
    Ability of users to reply to incoming notifications right from the notifications shade, or like BB10's toast notifications.

Android has had toasts for a long time in the messages app. I believe N just makes it available to all apps.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-10-16 12:00 AM
    03-10-16 04:20 AM

And Direct Boot is something we've already been rocking in BB10.

So its notification shade is sort of like a vague, thin, hub replacement?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 07:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    Nothing even comes close to a BlackBerry 10 hub replacement. The BlackBerry 10 hub doesn't open an app, and you don't need a notification to see your conversations. It's more like a drop-down list of toast notifications
    03-10-16 08:21 AM
    Nothing even comes close to a BlackBerry 10 hub replacement. The BlackBerry 10 hub doesn't open an app, and you don't need a notification to see your conversations. It's more like a drop-down list of toast notifications
    That's why I said vague and thin. It does offer the ability to reply to notifications without opening the dedicated app, however (that's my understanding). Definitely more powerful than a toast notification, but less powerful than the hub.

It exists somewhere inbetween. I prefer the toast+hub combo, but this is a step up for Android, I suppose. Then again, it's going to clutter Android's flow if they ever want to add a hub approximation.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 09:19 AM
    The N implementation more like what IOS has now.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-10-16 09:44 AM
    That's how I see it. It's not the same as the hub.
    03-10-16 10:12 AM
    can you respond to notifications from within the iOS notifications drawer?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 12:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    If the app which posted the notification supports this, then yes.
    03-10-16 12:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    yep and like IOS the N implementation has to be app supported. Good thing tho its very similar to the way Android Wear already handles it so it should mean many apps will use it. One possibility is that for the BB Android Hub if they can use this then they don't have to go to each app maker for hub support.
    03-10-16 12:28 PM
    Android has had toasts for a long time in the messages app. I believe N just makes it available to all apps.

yup i have that now with MM
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    03-11-16 05:18 AM
    yup i have that now with MM
    So, JAyDee, as you know, I've been waiting for the day that food could be downloaded.
    I don't know the first thing about Android, so, is the toast actually downloaded or do they just make toast from something you give it?

My Passport can almost make a full breakfast but I still can't get it to serve me.
    Please help!
    acovey likes this.
    03-11-16 02:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, it does sound sound like Notifications may become more Hub-like.

That's why I said vague and thin. It does offer the ability to reply to notifications without opening the dedicated app, however (that's my understanding). Definitely more powerful than a toast notification, but less powerful than the hub.

It exists somewhere inbetween. I prefer the toast+hub combo, but this is a step up for Android, I suppose. Then again, it's going to clutter Android's flow if they ever want to add a hub approximation.

Posted via CB10
    Android Central recently reported that also potentially coming with N would be the ability to group messages based on source, such as all Gmail, or all Facebook, or all Outlook, etc. based on some of the APIs in the preview. I haven't read anything yet indicating a potential ability to batch-triage, but still.

Another thing that may potentially happen with N is with Google turning the OS into a framework with each vendor building their own user experiences (UI/Skin/Launcher/etc) on top of it. For one, this will solve the fragmentation problem as vendors will no longer jack with system/deep system code, and two, it will allow vendors to truly put their own brand onto their own brands much easier.

What this means, amongst other things, is that BlackBerry could effectively remove Notifications from future Android on BlackBerry handsets and replace it with Hub entirely. Of course, the ability to download and install Notifications would likely be available from Play.

Yeah. Sure. Dude never said they didn't. He said that beginning with N users will be able to reply to the toast message right then and there without ever leaving the currently opened app, no matter what app it may be. When you are done with your reply you continue on with what-ever app you were using in the first place because you never left it. Just like with BB10. By the time Android users go gaga over this the same ability would have been on BB10 for what, five years?
    03-11-16 09:29 PM
    Sounds like a few steps back from BB10.
    03-11-16 11:24 PM
    Sounds like a few steps back from BB10.

Many steps back, not even close to 10.0.1. But they're trying.

03-11-16 11:26 PM
    You right their trying very trying.
    03-12-16 10:08 PM
    You right their trying very trying.
    And yet many Android fans boy knocked BB10 for being backwards and complicated.
    acovey likes this.
    03-12-16 10:22 PM
    And yet many Android fans boy knocked BB10 for being backwards and complicated.
    Name one.
    03-12-16 10:29 PM
    Name one.
    Take your pick.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...thread-260887/

My favourites are the ones who couldn't get the gestures.
    Last edited by djdragon; 03-12-16 at 11:00 PM. Reason: link
    acovey likes this.
    03-12-16 10:58 PM
    So, JAyDee, as you know, I've been waiting for the day that food could be downloaded.
    I don't know the first thing about Android, so, is the toast actually downloaded or do they just make toast from something you give it?

My Passport can almost make a full breakfast but I still can't get it to serve me.
    Please help!

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    03-12-16 11:11 PM
    Take your pick.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...thread-260887/

My favourites are the ones who couldn't get the gestures.
    Yeah I'm not searching through ~3000 posts looking for what you claim are android fanboys who dis bb10 for being backwards and complicated.
    03-13-16 09:25 AM
34 12