BlackBerry 10 is the most amazing OS in the world right now and BlackBerry is promoting Android. Rethink the strategy.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 03:13 AM
    I agree BlackBerry 10 is an amazing OS, but 'most' is subjective. BlackBerry is not promoting Android. Android is going nowhere. Their strategy is working and changing it at this point may cause more harm.

Posted via CB10
    Z800BBOS and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-28-15 03:26 AM
    I disagree and without the Android runtime and the availability of Android apps, they would be going nowhere!! Today's smartphone market is driven by the app ecosystem it supports, period.

I have seen the dynamics drastically change just in the past couple of years. Now folks doing banking, shopping, reservations right from their smartphone using apps custom designed for these applications.

Forget about using the browser nonsense because that was the methodology back in 2006 and it's now 2015 and the methodology now is using apps.

Thank god they have the Android runtime and use of the Amazon App Store. Even though it has some limitations and the lack of google play services, it's still better then the alternative which would be the Blackberry app world which is losing developer and app support every month!!
    04-28-15 05:38 AM
    Android runtime is keeping BlackBerry hardware alive. Without it, BlackBerry would have a hard time selling phones. Without the phones, BB10 would also be gone. No one would license BB10 to put on their phones even with Android runtime, let alone without it. Until BlackBerry World has as many quality apps as Google Playstore (like never), BlackBerry will need Android runtime to keep the consumer business alive.

Android runtime on BB10 gives us almost the best of both worlds. Just wish that it works with Google Services.

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 and BionicKris like this.
    04-28-15 04:30 PM
    Without the runtime I would likely leave BlackBerry. And my wife. And my daughter. As in I wouldn't leave them, they would leave BlackBerry too.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 05:26 PM
    I disagree and without the Android runtime and the availability of Android apps, they would be going nowhere!! Today's smartphone market is driven by the app ecosystem it supports, period.

I have seen the dynamics drastically change just in the past couple of years. Now folks doing banking, shopping, reservations right from their smartphone using apps custom designed for these applications.

Forget about using the browser nonsense because that was the methodology back in 2006 and it's now 2015 and the methodology now is using apps.

Thank god they have the Android runtime and use of the Amazon App Store. Even though it has some limitations and the lack of google play services, it's still better then the alternative which would be the Blackberry app world which is losing developer and app support every month!!
    Thing is, BlackBerry World is loosing dev support because of the Android runtime, even I wonder why I bother sometimes, native support is practically dead
    04-28-15 05:40 PM
    Thing is, BlackBerry World is loosing dev support because of the Android runtime, even I wonder why I bother sometimes, native support is practically dead
    I lost a few apps when Air was removed in 10.3.1, my favourite game Mixem was amongst them. Developers will come back if it's profitable, unless BlackBerry drastically increase their market presence that will not happen.

The Z10 might have been a failure in terms of ridiculous levels of over production, however it's large sales volume is what has got BlackBerry 10 so far. BlackBerry under Chen doesn't seem worried about market presence but profitability.

If I was developing for mobile devices I would be inclined to build an Amazon app for BlackBerry 10 users, I wouldn't develop an app for BlackBerry 10 users if the Android Runtime wasn't there.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 07:37 PM
    If it wasn't for android runtime I wouldn't have brought a Blackberry passport even though it's an amazing phone and that I like blackberry phones... I hated how OS 6 have virtually no apps apart from the extremely big titles like whatsapp and facebook

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 06:43 AM
    Android doesn't need BB to promote. I think the "free" part got most of the suckers already. Nothing to do with BB.
    04-29-15 07:55 AM
    I lost a few apps when Air was removed in 10.3.1, my favourite game Mixem was amongst them. Developers will come back if it's profitable, unless BlackBerry drastically increase their market presence that will not happen.

The Z10 might have been a failure in terms of ridiculous levels of over production, however it's large sales volume is what has got BlackBerry 10 so far. BlackBerry under Chen doesn't seem worried about market presence but profitability.

If I was developing for mobile devices I would be inclined to build an Amazon app for BlackBerry 10 users, I wouldn't develop an app for BlackBerry 10 users if the Android Runtime wasn't there.

Posted via CB10
    They should never had removed Air, just closed Air App updates and new submissions, then phased it out in 10.4, give a bit more time for people to find alternatives of the devs to re-code them.
    04-29-15 11:01 AM
    They should never had removed Air, just closed Air App updates and new submissions, then phased it out in 10.4, give a bit more time for people to find alternatives of the devs to re-code them.
    I don't really believe that if developers had more than the one year warning they were given, it would have made any difference.

Air is already supported in the Android Runtime. No reason to pay for it twice. Most Air apps in bbw had long since been abandoned anyway.

Do you really think we would have a comparable ecosystem right now if the Android Runtime had never existed? Netflix, for example, did not even bother taking two hours to port their existing working Android app over to bbw - so a native app would have never come. Same for countless others.

I'm running my synology server, controlling all of my entertainment systems, remotely running my work desktops, monitoring my office security system, and using the best crowd source map app in the world (waze) - all using Android apps that would never have been recoded for bb10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    BionicKris and habs_fan like this.
    04-29-15 11:17 AM
    I agree that Android support will eventually kill Native apps but if there was also no Android apps then Blackberry World would soon be non-existent due to the fact that the user base would dwindle.

So Android app support was a stop gap measure. I think the next step is to fully support Android apps by having dummy Google Play Services inside our Blackberry. If that happens then running Android would become seamless. Developers also need not port/recode their apps. All they need to do is publish their APKs in Blackberry World. Therefore making it transparent to the user that it's an Android app. As a developer, there is nothing better than to just re-use their code in all entirety and republish it in another platform opening up their revenue stream without added coding.

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris likes this.
    04-29-15 11:23 AM

I don't disagree with you. But, I've got to say that I think the Android Runtime has hurt BlackBerry 10 development immensely, which is the real app ecosystem that BlackBerry needs to differentiate itself in the platform wars. At some point, BlackBerry's short-term solution of using the Android run-time to bridge the app gap, will kill the long-term prospects of the platform. And the run-time will never compete with Android devices, which are now spectacularly cost-effective to buy straight out of contract with better specs than any BlackBerry device. (Check out the OnePlus One.)

But, I'll add something else. It's the closest we come to really disagreeing. I think there's a new, brighter future for HTML5 in mobile on the horizon. You talk about the browser nonsense of the past, but I wonder if it might also be the future when 5g becomes a reality in a few years. Most of the reason I prefer using apps is about performance. Part of the performance advantage to native is the lightning fast UI. But, if you look at FB's react and other tech, we're seeing the bridge between the web and native start to crumble. And 5g will make load times much, much faster. The advantages browser-based development gives -- if we can get past the performance issues -- are great: true cross-platform, way better flexibility in presentation (although BlackBerry's Qt/QML/Cascades approach feels like CSS to me, too), cheap developers with common skills doing amazing things, etc., open, free, code everywhere... Part of me believes that the native app and web app worlds may just merge in experience and that could benefit BlackBerry and other lower-market-share players.... if we're still around.
    redcubicle, BB2ooo and playfoot like this.
    04-29-15 11:44 AM
    Agree I'm sick of Android

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 09:28 AM
    Disagree strongly.

There are simply too many Android Apps I use on my Z30 that I'm unwilling to do without. The inability of my PlayBook to run most of those same Apps is the reason my PB goes unused.

I do prefer BB10 Apps. I use a lot, as evidenced by the 9 Apps that wanted to be updated in BlackBerry World yesterday. However, I can access OneNote, Kobo, Audible, etc. because these Apps are only available to me via Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 10:41 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is the most amazing OS in the world right now and BlackBerry is promoting Android. Rethink the strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry is not promoting Android, they're clinging onto it for dear life. Sans android, BB10 would be a thing of the past.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-30-15 11:16 AM
    Another one of these threads? Smh. Without android support BlackBerry is literally dead in terms of an app ecosystem. No offense to devs working to make native apps on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-30-15 03:32 PM

Extremely well expressed bakron1, completely agree...time marches on, trends change... evolve and who knows what the future has in store....no pun intended!!

Posted from my Kick@ss AT&T Passport.
    bakron1 likes this.
    04-30-15 07:14 PM
    I don't really believe that if developers had more than the one year warning they were given, it would have made any difference.

Air is already supported in the Android Runtime. No reason to pay for it twice. Most Air apps in bbw had long since been abandoned anyway.

Do you really think we would have a comparable ecosystem right now if the Android Runtime had never existed? Netflix, for example, did not even bother taking two hours to port their existing working Android app over to bbw - so a native app would have never come. Same for countless others.

I'm running my synology server, controlling all of my entertainment systems, remotely running my work desktops, monitoring my office security system, and using the best crowd source map app in the world (waze) - all using Android apps that would never have been recoded for bb10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    Very solid points Conite!!

04-30-15 07:19 PM
    Very solid points Conite!!

BlackBerry could have provided devs with a wrapper app that they could have put their BlackBerry 10 Air app in, this wrapper app would then enable the BlackBerry app to run within the Android Runtime.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 07:40 PM
    BlackBerry could have provided devs with a wrapper app that they could have put their BlackBerry 10 Air app in, this wrapper app would then enable the BlackBerry app to run within the Android Runtime.

Posted via CB10
    Why? For a handful of mostly abandoned apps? How many blackberry devs would you have put on that initiative? What's the payoff?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    04-30-15 08:05 PM
    Double post
    04-30-15 08:07 PM
    Why? For a handful of mostly abandoned apps? How many blackberry devs would you have put on that initiative? What's the payoff?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    How many of the apps had been abandoned when the notice went out 12 months prior to the removal of Air?

It's costly enough to develop for BlackBerry 10 with its minuscule user base, never mind developing the app for a second time.

There was not much point in continuing to plow money into the development of your Air app when it's got a doomsday device strapped to it.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 08:13 PM
    How many of the apps had been abandoned when the notice went out 12 months prior to the removal of Air?

It's costly enough to develop for BlackBerry 10 with its minuscule user base, never mind developing the app for a second time.

There was not much point in continuing to plow money into the development of your Air app when it's got a doomsday device strapped to it.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly is that really your point and justification!! Now I get your M.O. and at least your indirectly being honest.

04-30-15 09:24 PM
    another typical fanboy topic. i like my q10, but which is "better" depends on the end user's needs and preferences.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 07:15 AM
37 12