Android m will now let you control permissions like iOS and bb10, which I think is great news but will this filter over to blackberry 10 for android apps as blackberry 10 only uses a runtime?
    05-29-15 01:12 AM
    BlackBerry runtime still 4.3 I think

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680
    05-29-15 01:20 AM
    BlackBerry runtime still 4.3 I think

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680
    I agree but I wonder if this is something that will get updated for the blackberry android runtime as I think the runtime is only a partial install of the android OS. If I am honest the lack of permission control has always put me off of android but now this shouldn't be an issue anymore,although I'm currently very happy with my passport if blackberry eventually stops making handsets or changes its business model at least it gives me another option.
    05-29-15 01:35 AM
    I just read about the possibility to adjust rights. I think BlackBerry M U S T integrate this into their Android runtime!
    BB stands for security - and not being able to adjust rights is a major! security issue!

Edit: Just think about it: In the future Androids apps might be more trusty on Android than on Blackberries.
    Besides: For those Android users with root / custom ROM (like me), they already have the ability to adjust app-rights!
    05-29-15 03:32 AM
    Android M makes the competition for BlackBerry harder. From now android M users can control the permission for apps, which was unique feature for BlackBerry.
    05-29-15 01:12 PM
    Android M makes the competition for BlackBerry harder. From now android M users can control the permission for apps, which was unique feature for BlackBerry.
    Nobody cares about that. There is no competitive advantage.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm and D3C0D3R like this.
    05-29-15 08:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Enhanced security and privacy settings will matter to some people..

Posted via CB10
    idhbar likes this.
    05-29-15 08:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    there are more Android users with root who already control permissions than there are BB owners who actually use that feature.
    05-29-15 08:40 PM
    I think this is significant: another Android feature that erodes BB10 competitive advantage.
    jope28 likes this.
    05-29-15 08:50 PM
    Pssst, app ops were still open on 4.3, which means you can control android app permissions on bb10 already.

In fact if they update the runtime past 4.4, then we'll probably lose the ability to do that, unless they update all the way to M

Just Google for app ops or something, there are apps that take you to the menu to do it.

Work Wide and Prosper
    05-30-15 03:06 AM
    Sorry to disappoint you, but App Ops doesn't work on my Blackberry, its not available via Snap nor via Amazone.
    And even though this wouldn't be perfect solution. Using an Android App for this task.

In fact I'm unsure if BB couldn't develop the right management for 4.3. Couldn't they just add this feature to the OS.
    I mean, if a simple Android app can handle permissions, why shouldn't BB be able to develop the same??

And to all of those who think nobody cares about app permissions: This might be true for the vast majority of android users, but isn't BB known to be a leader in security? Where is this leadership if there's no why to control Android apps? BB itself is pushing OS 10 towards Android Apps, so BB should make those apps as secure as possible!
    idhbar likes this.
    05-30-15 04:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    I came here, in black berry paradigm after 6 years use of android only for security reasons. After announcement of google IO 2015, I have started talking about going back to Android. Let's see what black berry is doing in next few months. But it is true that except security nothing is left in BlackBerry at this moment. Lack of native apps , backdated android runtime.. and very less development.
    05-30-15 05:23 AM
    Sorry to disappoint you, but App Ops doesn't work on my Blackberry, its not available via Snap nor via Amazone.
    And even though this wouldn't be perfect solution. Using an Android App for this task.

In fact I'm unsure if BB couldn't develop the right management for 4.3. Couldn't they just add this feature to the OS.
    I mean, if a simple Android app can handle permissions, why shouldn't BB be able to develop the same??
    Uhmmm.... App Ops is an hidden Android feature, it's not an app =="

But App Ops is not perfect. Some permission can only be disabled after the app used it.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.680
    05-30-15 08:00 AM

But App Ops is not perfect. Some permission can only be disabled after the app used it.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.680
    You should have the option to retract data.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 09:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    I care, and my name is not Nobody.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 11:30 AM

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.680
    On my Android devices, I used App Ops, wich is an application. I know that Android (until 4.4) had the features you need to control app-permissions built in, but you had to use an extra app, to control these settings (at least with stock ROMs). So these features should be there and BB should be able to make them accessible their users!

And if I look at Custom-ROMs like Cyanogenmod: I can control App permissions even though I am on 5.1 - so it's possible even though I'm not using something <4.4 or Android M.

Blackberry really H A S to integrate the feature. Otherwise I can't install lots of Android apps, wich are supposed to close the so called "app gap", because I don't know, what they are doing to my data.

PS: Here's a link to google play https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rmission&hl=de --> the app is there, but not available (at least not for my Z10)
    05-30-15 11:41 AM
    Just in case you didn'n know. AppOps is built into the Blackberry Google ID app, which is part of my Google Play store package.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=11189556
    05-30-15 12:05 PM
    Don't get it from Google play. Try aptoide, or just googling it. I think it's called app permissions.

Android m impact on bb10-img_20150530_184859.png

Android m impact on bb10-img_20150530_184936.png

Work Wide and Prosper
    05-30-15 05:49 PM
    I tried app ops on a non rooted android device and it was very un user friendly and was very confusing and didn't seem to let me edit all the permissions I wanted to.
    05-31-15 12:29 AM
    On my Android devices, I used App Ops, wich is an application. I know that Android (until 4.4) had the features you need to control app-permissions built in, but you had to use an extra app, to control these settings (at least with stock ROMs). So these features should be there and BB should be able to make them accessible their users!
    What you installed on your Android is not an application, it's a shortcut to AppOps.

I do agree about BlackBerry should try to use AppOps though. But many Android apps don't work after having their permissions disabled, mostly because they can't handle the exception that Android throw when they try to access the disabled permission.

You can use cobalt's Google ID to access AppOps, or if you already have Ghost Commander, it's right there

Attachment 355291Attachment 355292

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.680
    05-31-15 12:45 AM
    Ok, I see your point. I know it's just a shortcut and I do believe that there is a possibility to enable this feature, no matter how well it will work.

But still, I think it's BB's task to make these settings accessible to their users, especially since they pushed BB 10 towards Android apps. BB is all about security and most of the users probably don't have a clue how to change those permissions.
    05-31-15 05:13 AM
    Two apps capable of changing android permissions:

* APK Permission remover
    * Lucky Patcher

Q10 - 10.3.2.680  < σиє ℓσνє > 
    05-31-15 09:03 AM
    Not really on Topic but the Android "M" operating system is going to be called "Marshmallow"

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    05-31-15 09:29 AM
    Not really on Topic but the Android "M" operating system is going to be called "Marshmallow"

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    Say what you want about Android, I DO like their naming scheme.

Blackberry 10.4 should be codenamed Marshmallow Fluff.

Work Wide and Prosper
    05-31-15 03:48 PM
    Say what you want about Android, I DO like their naming scheme.

Blackberry 10.4 should be codenamed Marshmallow Fluff.

Work Wide and Prosper
    What's interesting is that all those names will perfectly suit iOS naming scheme. However, they chose to stay simple, with numbers (or should I say complicated for some?).

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 07:07 PM
28 12