Hello everyone,

So my Passport battery is on its dying legs and I'm in the process of doing some research on whether I should look for a new one on ebay or if I should just do the switch to Android or iOS. I'm looking at this from an OS perspective alone because I'm eligible for a free upgrade from my carrier on either one and although I will probably miss the physical keyboard I know I can adapt since I owned a Z10 and Z30 before.

So, I looked into maybe getting a BlackBerry with Android, but they don't seem to be selling anymore besides the KeyOne but it's not available with my carrier. So I'd like to know if any of you guys had to switch which OS do you think would be best? What OS is most intuitive when it comes to multitasking, email, and all round UI?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 08:00 AM
    If you're on contract there should be a trial period for new phones, to see if you like them or not, no?
    08-04-17 08:08 AM
    iOS is a one size fits all approach with ease of use as a primary design criteria.

Android can be customized so much, that you'd think its various users weren't even using the same OS. Some find this complicated, but many others appreciate the versatility.
    co4nd, The_Passporter and kwartey like this.
    08-04-17 08:54 AM
    I find iOS to be a bit like BB10 in that you don't need to do much "maintenance" - no need to clear cache, you can go long periods without rebooting, etc.

Android (I run a PRIV now) does need more routine maintenance than iOS, but functionally it seems more like BB10 to me - you can still get the Hub, attachments can be done on emails, etc.
    Longer learning curve with Android, I think.

One surprising thing that I didn't realize until time to replace my wife's iPhone 5: if you want a WIDE screen you are going to have to spend significant money to get a wide-screen iPhone. The Android phones are MUCH more affordable.

You mentioned carriers only stocking KeyONEs: if you are in Canada the law now dictates that all phones must be sold unlocked. So, if you are in Canada you may have more flexibility.
    If you are considering Ebay for the Passport, then please consider Ebay for a PRIV.

I went from a Classic to a PRIV and have been very satisfied. It would take some serious adjustments after a Passport, but the keyboard is still pretty decent and if you want to treat it as a "slab" then you can.
    08-04-17 09:38 AM
    if you are in Canada the law now dictates that all phones must be sold unlocked.
    This law is not in effect yet. December 2017, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    08-04-17 09:46 AM
    For being intuitive and multitasking, well I haven't owned an iphone and never will but BB10 definitely beats android by a long shot on both counts. Unfortunately, BB10 does not have the same app availability and support so it may not meet your needs if you're an app person. I had intended on getting a passport but now I'm rethinking that after switching back to a q10 and seeing what it lacks. At first I thought all I need is a basic functioning phone and for the most part, that's true but I'm starting to see, BB10 is absolutely great at phone, texting and email but the browser is outdated and there are certain things it won't do. That's the main issue I'm having and I'm so torn because I love BB10 but I depend on being able to do everything I need to do on my phone. But I hate android.
    08-04-17 09:57 AM
    This law is not in effect yet. December 2017, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    No, you're right, it's December 1 that the law kicks in.
    08-04-17 10:05 AM
    For being intuitive and multitasking, well I haven't owned an iphone and never will but BB10 definitely beats android by a long shot on both counts. Unfortunately, BB10 does not have the same app availability and support so it may not meet your needs if you're an app person. I had intended on getting a passport but now I'm rethinking that after switching back to a q10 and seeing what it lacks. At first I thought all I need is a basic functioning phone and for the most part, that's true but I'm starting to see, BB10 is absolutely great at phone, texting and email but the browser is outdated and there are certain things it won't do. That's the main issue I'm having and I'm so torn because I love BB10 but I depend on being able to do everything I need to do on my phone. But I hate android.
    Agree on all accounts. That's the same reason I'm on the fence on whether I should buy another Passport or not. The combination of the UI and the hub is hard to beat when it comes to productivity.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 11:21 AM
    I may get a passport and a cheap tablet to run on WiFi, not sure I'm so torn and so frustrated lol. Maybe I'll buy the Zeus browser on BBW and see what it can do. So far none of the free browsers available can do anything more than the stock browser.
    08-04-17 11:42 AM
    So far none of the free browsers available can do anything more than the stock browser.
    You won't gain much with ANY other browser as they all use the webkit from the stock. Only if the OS gets an updated browser will you see any improvement and that is very unlikely to happen. You do get some nice bells and whistles from Browsie Browser and others but the basic rendering remains the same.
    Last edited by brookie229; 08-06-17 at 07:32 AM.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-04-17 11:50 AM
    I tried installing chrome. It works, and renders pages properly but it's agonizingly slow. Wondering if it would run better on a passport with the 3gb of ram and the latest OS udpate
    08-04-17 12:26 PM
    Hello everyone,

So my Passport battery is on its dying legs and I'm in the process of doing some research on whether I should look for a new one on ebay or if I should just do the switch to Android or iOS. I'm looking at this from an OS perspective alone because I'm eligible for a free upgrade from my carrier on either one and although I will probably miss the physical keyboard I know I can adapt since I owned a Z10 and Z30 before.

So, I looked into maybe getting a BlackBerry with Android, but they don't seem to be selling anymore besides the KeyOne but it's not available with my carrier. So I'd like to know if any of you guys had to switch which OS do you think would be best? What OS is most intuitive when it comes to multitasking, email, and all round UI?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear, I dread the day this happens to me. Any good aps for checking the health of battery? Is it bad to leave it charge all night, does BB10 trickle charge baked in or overcharge in a bad way, hmm...

When this happens to me I may swap it or try to as heard it's not super hard with the proper tool! To bad can not get a off beat brand larger mah batter! Be kind of cool..

I just remembered I have Battery, Fiction Pro and think that is is for battery health, etc..

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 12:29 PM
    You won't gain much with ANY other browser as they are all use the webkit from the stock. Only if the OS gets an updated browser will you see any improvement and that is very unlikely to happen. You do get some nice bells and whistles from Browsie Browser and others but the basic rendering remains the same.
    I am very happy with my native Annapurna browser, wonder what it uses. I know you can change the strings. I also am trying out Zeus to. Browsie Browser is nice Brookie! You have great app suggestions wish I could follow you around as you suggest Newpipe for YouTube and it's amazing (no api either) I even get picture in picture on android apps. Didn't try it on a BAR file yet as in the PiP from Newpipe. Thank you, DPR

PS: any other great apps your hoarding from us? Hehe..

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 12:34 PM
    I tried installing chrome. It works, and renders pages properly but it's agonizingly slow. Wondering if it would run better on a passport with the 3gb of ram and the latest OS udpate
    Not much better--I've tried them all--there is no answer. All the android browsers-Chrome-Firefox-Opera Mini etc etc etc all have to be run through the ancient and slow runtime. It just is not the answer.
    08-04-17 12:56 PM
    Sorry to hear, I dread the day this happens to me. Any good aps for checking the health of battery? Is it bad to leave it charge all night, does BB10 trickle charge baked in or overcharge in a bad way, hmm...

When this happens to me I may swap it or try to as heard it's not super hard with the proper tool! To bad can not get a off beat brand larger mah batter! Be kind of cool..

I just remembered I have Battery, Fiction Pro and think that is is for battery health, etc..

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    I know my battery is having issues because of the unreliable battery life. It used to last somewhere between 1-2 days now it varies between 8-12 hours.
    As for everything else, I'd only charge my phone whenever I was down to the red. There's a pretty good battery app for BlackBerry 10 called Battery Guru. Gives everything you'd need for your phone. I checked my health and it says 80% but I'm still getting a fluctuating battery life even after checking for background apps that could be hoarding it.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 04:01 PM
    "Android or iOS vs BlackBerry 10"

Hmmmmm.... We'll be seeing the LG V30, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and iPhone 8 pretty soon, so I don't know which of those 4 to recommend to you.....

Have you considered buying a new battery for your Passport, or getting someone to fix that for you? If not, I guess I'll just recommend the iPhone 8 to you, since you value a solid, well rounded OS that's quick to receive fluid updates.
    08-05-17 09:43 PM
    Hello everyone,

Posted via CB10
    How about a new battery, not hard to do at all.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-05-17 10:40 PM
    I know my battery is having issues because of the unreliable battery life. It used to last somewhere between 1-2 days now it varies between 8-12 hours.
    As for everything else, I'd only charge my phone whenever I was down to the red. There's a pretty good battery app for BlackBerry 10 called Battery Guru. Gives everything you'd need for your phone. I checked my health and it says 80% but I'm still getting a fluctuating battery life even after checking for background apps that could be hoarding it.

Posted via CB10
    Get Battery Fiction PRO It is amazing and really works. Set it in settings to stop background apps, it does something without affecting anything except way longer battery and I am the biggest skeptic of battery apps except droids greenify on root however Battery Fiction Pro is no JOKE!

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 12:51 AM
    Get the most expensive phone you can get from your carrier for free, sell it on eBay and buy a new Passport, profit!

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 04:26 AM
    Get the most expensive phone you can get from your carrier for free, sell it on eBay and buy a new Passport, profit!

Posted via CB10
    LOL if only it were that easy!
    08-06-17 03:54 PM
    Come on! It's a great plan

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 04:14 PM
    Sorry, for not responding for so long. Been busy with work and also started classes for my Master's. After watching the Apple keynote I've decided to get the iPhone X due to the gesture controls. Less of a learning curve compared to Android but I will miss the hub, sigh.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-17 10:23 AM