I've been reading for weeks now about "the slider" and how it may or may not be a BB10 device and how it's now looking likely it will be an Android. Everyone seems to have an opinion about it, whether it be good or bad.

Wading in to these muddy waters, I thought I'd just chuck my thoughts in to the mix: Android on a BlackBerry will be no benefit to the company apart from cutting costs of development. With such a global bad name, people don't buy BlackBerry now anyway. It's not cool and it's got a black mark like betamax and HD-DVD.

Yes, I know, we do buy BlackBerry. We are the hardcore and some of us actually find the OS more to our liking. Some of out spout security, others how great it is to have an SD card slot and some about the keyboard. Zoom out to the global market and we're minuscule. BlackBerry users of old give us tales of yesteryear and how they loved the physical keyboard. Offer them an Android from BlackBerry with the physical keyboard and I will bet the hair on my left nut most people will still frown at the name and opt for a well-known Android player such as Samsung or HTC.

What I'm getting at is that the BlackBerry brand is still broken in the eyes of the world. Changing the OS is such a small part. It will still take years of hard work on BlackBerry's part to polish the tarnished name.

All the BlackBerry 10 devices have shipped with lesser-abled (did I just invent a new word?) hardware but the fluidity of BlackBerry 10 has made up for its lacklustre physical abilities. We've paid a premium for this as well.

Moving forward, if BlackBerry can offer the same BlackBerry 10 experience on an Android OS with great hardware and it be secured but with Google Play then they will still struggle to push that device in to the hands of the 99.5%. Maybe slowly they will regain some market share but you have to let go of the past where so many BlackBerry's were seen in the wild. Those days are gone and just are not likely to return.

With John Chen at the helm, it's all about software and making a profit, even if it's a small one compared to where they were 5 years ago. He's saving the physical company from going under but to do it he's changing what BlackBerry do and I think you will find that BlackBerry 10 is too expensive to continue with, especially when the surveys say, Android.

It's just some thoughts. I love BlackBerry 10. It works brilliantly for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 12:53 AM
    If BB is not locked down with DoD and the likes, JC would have put 'Business Closed' board on hardware division already. This is not hate for JC, but business wise, he must be pulling his hair to stabilize hardware.
    IDK what was the roadmap when BB10 was released and how much changes JC is doing in that. If BB comes with Android, i think enterprises have clearly spoken. BB10 is not taking up. Maybe they will start with consumer offering and slowly goes to enterprises and ultimately offer a secured locked down Android to DoD likes.
    08-17-15 04:34 AM
    Most of the statements and speculation that the OP is commenting on, and much of his own statements ignore the official statements BlackBerry and Chen have made on the topic of handsets. I won't restate them here as they are easy enough to find.

What I take from those statements is that BlackBerry and Chen do realize that it is going to take a long time and a lot of work to rehabilitate the handset business, but they believe it is worth doing. But that can only be done if the company as a whole is profitable. They are clearly willing to put some money into production of hardware for their corporate clients who want an end-to-end BlackBerry solution. They also appear to be willing to put some money into experimenting with what might improve their popularity. But the OP's core thesis is correct, it doesn't really matter what phone they come out with it isn't going to change the handset business in the foreseeable future.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    08-17-15 06:56 AM
    I think that if they make an Android phone with the hub, keyboard, great display, excellent speakers, great call quality, and elite specs they may draw attention to themselves and sell some devices. I think that they can prove that cross platform and supporting more than one platform could be a positive things. BB OS, one could argue, will always have a place as the most secure platform. This could bring positive attention to BlackBerry that says, we can be a lot more than a stuffy provider of phones to business people.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 08:21 AM
    Yes it will!!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 11:18 AM
    I think that if they make an Android phone with the hub, keyboard, great display, excellent speakers, great call quality, and elite specs they may draw attention to themselves and sell some devices.
    I'm feel in two minds about this. About the only thing that would separate them would be a keyboard. How many people would pay the extra money for a keyboard when today's world is 16:9 video (okay, slider, but that's still only a small percentage of people that like them. The Storm was very uncomfortable for a lot of people.). You get the rest of those features on any high end <insert brand name selling android> phone. Those phones also don't come with the stigma attached to owning a BlackBerry branded product.

Security has been discussed to death. Most consumers just plainly don't care. Now you're back to prosumer/enterprise/corporate. If they have security concerns they will want BB10 for its certifications.

I'm circle jerking this really. I love BlackBerry 10 as it is now, it just won't grow to most of our satisfaction and killing it for Android just seems like admitting your software is crud when it's actually the total opposite.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 12:54 PM
    All good points. When I said keyboard (even though I realize topic started due to rumored slider) I meant the flick typing. I pick my iPad and I want to Frisby it into the drywall whenever I have to type. Which brings me to a question, will the slider be capable of a virtual keyboard just as my Z30? Another point, I love my passport, I actually miss the Z30 virtual style keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 01:41 PM
    All good points. When I said keyboard (even though I realize topic started due to rumored slider) I meant the flick typing. I pick my iPad and I want to Frisby it into the drywall whenever I have to type. Which brings me to a question, will the slider be capable of a virtual keyboard just as my Z30? Another point, I love my passport, I actually miss the Z30 virtual style keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    The Torch sliders had the option of a virtual keyboard. I would guess that any future slider would have that option as well.

Posted via CB10 with my Awesome Z30 STA100-5 processing OS 10.3.2.*. Jabbering on the AT&T Network.
    08-17-15 02:00 PM
    I think that if they make an Android phone with the hub, keyboard, great display, excellent speakers, great call quality, and elite specs they may draw attention to themselves and sell some devices. I think that they can prove that cross platform and supporting more than one platform could be a positive things. BB OS, one could argue, will always have a place as the most secure platform. This could bring positive attention to BlackBerry that says, we can be a lot more than a stuffy provider of phones to business people.

Posted via CB10
    Right up until a BlackBerry Android phone is vulnerable to the same flaw as all the rest, at which time if will become an albatross around their necks. As much as most people don't care about security, there are people who would love to see a BlackBerry branded device being pwnd like a Jeep on the interstate.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    08-17-15 03:44 PM
    I don't understand why BlackBerry are not marketing.. even with the release of the first Z10 I didn't hear nothing about it what so ever hear in Australia. Telstra had the phone on display but they workers had no clue how to use it.. seriously wtf why spend billions or millions whatever it is making blackberry 10 and these new devices if no one knows about them.. if they had some ads on TV or billboards or something showing it off they might have sold more. I had to rely on youtube to find out about the q10 which I bought straight away after seeing it.
    This was my first BlackBerry and it was the best I've ever had in a phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 05:06 PM
    Logic is out the window on this stuff. Phone ownership looks like a very EMOTIONAL choice for most people.

The label BlackBerry depicts yesterday's phone.

I've observed smart people gravitate to iPhones just because it was cool. And then they never really used them to their full potential. Not even close.

I really don't know how BlackBerry can get out from under this.

As much as I like the BlackBerry products, I can see the reality of the problem here.

I don't think keeping the BlackBerry name has positioned the company for growth.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 06:40 PM
    Need to remember when the OP talks market share ... Chen has said 10 million sales is what is needed to make the hardware viable... with the partial ??? switch to Android and lower development costs... Layoffs and restructuring in the hardware division the magic number could be even lower.... only Chen knows.... so maybe Android would be the bump BB needs to keep the hardware division afloat....
    08-17-15 06:55 PM
    Chen has said that the hardware business is one he'd like to stabilise - but there are no statements saying that the hardware would continue to run BB10, and nor is any BlackBerry member coming out to say it is a continuous concern. Hardware will continue - running Android - backed in business by security software at the back end. Consumers will have another Android vendor to choose from, and BlackBerry will have one less OS to have to support in their EMM platforms going forward - makes very logical sense.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 04:18 AM