02-18-18 03:39 AM
93 ... 234
tools
    What about BlackBerry hardware line, knowledge and patents? They sold that? Just licensed? What about a chinnese company using making PKB and a flavour of BlackBerry devices for generic android?

I want a proper PKB device without this super secure BlackBerry firmware/software.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 was available to licence for years. There were no takers.
    12-17-17 07:51 AM
    Way to go dpgo. You woke up Conite.
    12-17-17 07:56 AM
    Way to go dpgo. You woke up Conite.
    I'm going back to bed!
    12-17-17 07:59 AM
    No, BB10 hardware is too old so it wouldn't officially run any recent version of Android anyway. You're better off with BB10 and the runtime than an EOL version of Android IMO.
    Not quite true!
    The hardware is capable of running Android Oreo(my old nexus 4 dose that why not much more powerfuler passport? ) but the problem is the bootloader which no one to the date is able to unlock it except company himself!

Posted via CB10
    02-13-18 04:56 AM
    Not quite true!
    The hardware is capable of running Android Oreo(my old nexus 4 dose that why not much more powerfuler passport? ) but the problem is the bootloader which no one to the date is able to unlock it except company himself!

Posted via CB10
    What about the drivers compatibility? Such as the Android system recognizing the text input from the physical keys
    02-13-18 06:22 AM
    Not quite true!

Posted via CB10
    That's because the community added support for it but Google, Qualcomm, etc don't officially support it. If BlackBerry wanted to update their old devices they would need to do that work themselves and then convince Google to certify the devices.

Hypothetically the community could do this if the bootloader was unlocked but I don't know if an update stable enough for daily use is a sure thing (even the N4 Oreo update is missing some features).
    02-13-18 10:48 AM
    What about the drivers compatibility? Such as the Android system recognizing the text input from the physical keys
    That would be just a matter of finding right event in acpid or we can use KEYone's driver and back port it for passport!

That's because the community added support for it but Google, Qualcomm, etc don't officially support it. If BlackBerry wanted to update their old devices they would need to do that work themselves and then convince Google to certify the devices.

Hypothetically the community could do this if the bootloader was unlocked but I don't know if an update stable enough for daily use is a sure thing (even the N4 Oreo update is missing some features).
    Yes I didn't denied that they have to do almost everything by themselves!
    And as I mentioned before and you said the bootloader is main problem and about features yes we may or may not lose some of them but it mostly based on how this new features are hardcoded to actual hardware!
    Posted via CB10
    02-13-18 03:03 PM
    That would be just a matter of finding right event in acpid or we can use KEYone's driver and back port it for passport!

Posted via CB10
    Nothing is "just a matter of...".

This would all cost a fortune.
    02-13-18 03:07 PM
    Nothing is "just a matter of...".

This would all cost a fortune.
    Hi conite!
    How you doing?
    I think you misunderstood my point!
    All I said was about custom roms not blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    02-13-18 03:10 PM
    Hi conite!
    How you doing?
    I think you misunderstood my point!
    All I said was about custom roms not blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    Hi!

I agree that unlocking the bootloader and getting by hardware root of trust is a non-starter, but in the interest of conversation, I would also add that getting Marshmallow/Nougat/Oreo drivers for all the Passport's custom hardware would be next to impossible.
    02-13-18 03:13 PM
    Hi!

I agree that unlocking the bootloader and getting by hardware root of trust is a non-starter, but in the interest of conversation, I would also add that getting Marshmallow/Nougat/Oreo drivers for all the Passport's custom hardware would be next to impossible.
    But let's imagine that we could wave a magic want and unlock the bootloader and bypass root-of-trust. And imagine there was a big community of developers who wanted to work on this. If they started today, there might be a relatively stable build by, when? Mid-2019? LOL.

How many PPs will even be functional then, hardware-wise?

But as you say, it's all a fantasy anyway, since the bootloader and root-of-trust aren't changing.
    02-14-18 03:53 PM
    But let's imagine that we could wave a magic want and unlock the bootloader and bypass root-of-trust. And imagine there was a big community of developers who wanted to work on this. If they started today, there might be a relatively stable build by, when? Mid-2019? LOL.

How many PPs will even be functional then, hardware-wise?

But as you say, it's all a fantasy anyway, since the bootloader and root-of-trust aren't changing.
    Well maybe after Q3 of 2018! What would be wrong with passport to not functional at the time? Is there somewhere a self distraction system in Passport that I am not aware of it which would destroy passports?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-18 05:04 PM
    Well maybe after Q3 of 2018! What would be wrong with passport to not functional at the time? Is there somewhere a self distraction system in Passport that I am not aware of it which would destroy passports?
    Smartphones rarely last more than 5 years. They're not designed to have infinite life - especially phones with fixed batteries. You can expect to see replacement parts disappear too - there just isn't much demand.

I'm not saying that every last device will be dead - I'm saying there won't be enough in use to matter much to anyone except the few who still use one.
    02-14-18 05:21 PM
    All in all, BB 10 is already at old age. Only native apps can work well. Any other android app is not compatible in any BB OS version.

PG sheng BB classic user from Malaysia
    02-14-18 08:25 PM
    People get offended with good business idea??

It's really strange

Posted via CB10
    02-14-18 10:59 PM

It's really strange

Posted via CB10
    Who's offended?

The proppsal is simply impossible.
    02-14-18 11:46 PM

It's really strange
    The problem you’re having is that it’s not a “good business idea.”
    02-14-18 11:47 PM

It's really strange

Posted via CB10
    Pardon, who get offended?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-18 03:39 AM
93 ... 234