Hi,

My friend has a Q10 and is having some issues with android apps he installs using snap, apps like snap chat and flappy bird don't fit on his screen. They go off the top upwards, making them almost unusable. I don't know if this is a common issue, but on my Z10 all my apps fit the screen perfectly.
    Any help on how to solve this for my friend would be great, I've only just converted him to BB10.

Thanks
    02-03-14 12:44 PM
    The answer is simply that Android handsets use similar screen dimensions to the BlackBerry Z's so it's not an issue. The Q's have screen with different dimensions and therefore will always look wrong. I don't think that there's anything you can do about that. Perhaps a dev will come up with an app for it.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    02-03-14 01:12 PM
    This is ultimately why I chose to go with the Z10 over the Q10, even though I prefer keys. The screen and aspect ratio of the Z10 lends itself more to ported apps than the 1:1 screen of the Q10.
    02-03-14 01:14 PM
    HMMMMM.......
    I wonder why this could be.....
    So weird.....
    Probably has nothing to do with the fact that ONES A SQUARE AND THE OTHER IS A RECTANGLE......
    or that THE APPS ARE MADE FOR ALL TOUCH DEVICES......
    That would be way too obvious and easy to figure out........
    sirk25 likes this.
    02-03-14 01:14 PM
    Apparently some apps adjust to the screen http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=899675

02-03-14 01:17 PM
    HMMMMM.......
    So weird.....
    Probably has nothing to do with the fact that ONES A SQUARE AND THE OTHER IS A RECTANGLE......
    Mate no need to be like, maybe if you knew anything then you would know that many ported apps and apk installed apps that are designed for RECTANGLES do work on the SQUARE screen of the Q10. My question was simple why some apps do and some don't so even why they are all designed for RECTANGLES
    02-03-14 01:30 PM
    Mate no need to be like, maybe if you knew anything then you would know that many ported apps and apk installed apps that are designed for RECTANGLES do work on the SQUARE screen of the Q10. My question was simple why some apps do and some don't so even why they are all designed for RECTANGLES
    Because they're not programmed to fit whatever screen they're on. (auto resize)
    02-03-14 01:32 PM
    Apparently some apps adjust to the screen BlackBerry Q10 working android games - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Yeah this is what i was thinking, I thought this was something maybe handled by the runtime. Must just be some apps that adjust and others that don't.
    Thanks though, I'll let my friend know
    02-03-14 01:33 PM
    So now you just contradicting yourself. The apps do "auto resize" thats why I asked the question why a selection of apps were not doing so and many are
    02-03-14 01:34 PM
    So now you just contradicting yourself. The apps do "auto resize" thats why I asked the question why a selection of apps were not doing so and many are
    I was referring to the apps that don't resize.
    I thought you'd crack that one...

I'd break it down for you, but I can't post in crayon.
    02-03-14 01:36 PM
    I was referring to the apps that don't resize.
    I thought you'd crack that one...
    And everyone is meant to know which apps auto resize and which don't. And I'm sure one of the apps does as i've seen it scaled up to a large screen.
    Thanks for your amazing not so useful help. Unlike the other guys who were
    02-03-14 01:42 PM
    And everyone is meant to know which apps auto resize and which don't. And I'm sure one of the apps does as i've seen it scaled up to a large screen.
    Thanks for your amazing not so useful help. Unlike the other guys who were
    I don't see a single solution in here.
    Scaling up to fit a larger similar shaped screen and changing dimension ratios are two very different concepts.
    02-03-14 01:59 PM
    I don't see a single solution in here.
    Scaling up to fit a larger similar shaped screen and changing dimension ratios are two very different concepts.
    Whatever mate I don't have time to deal with you, got better things to do.
    02-03-14 02:02 PM
    Whatever mate I don't have time to deal with you, got better things to do.
    Finally!
    02-03-14 02:25 PM
    Well that's one advantage to getting your Android ports through BB World as they have to be vetted for devices supported.
    02-03-14 03:56 PM
    No way to fix this.
    Even when devs bring their Android apps into App World, they do very minor tunes and changes to their app to properly for BB10. They're different and the screen sizes are different.
    Simply, it's not supported.
    Rob Grieve likes this.
    02-03-14 04:28 PM
    Tell your friend to get a z10. That q10 model is played out.
    Rob Grieve likes this.
    02-03-14 06:13 PM
    Tell your friend to get a z10. That q10 model is played out.
    It's the keyboard he won't leave it for anything

Posted via CB10
    nedtherossi likes this.
    02-03-14 06:21 PM
    Sorry you are wrong mate. Android apps are not desugned for 1:1 ratio. This is the reason the apps won't fit on Q10.

HMMMMM.......
    So weird.....
    02-03-14 06:53 PM
    Not all apps can be made to fit any screen size (auto-resize) programmatically. Some apps like games require absolute positioning.
    02-03-14 06:57 PM
    Finally!
    Manners. Not everyone knows everything. Maybe be a little more polite.

Posted via CB10
    mjdimer likes this.
    02-03-14 07:31 PM
    Of course they don't work. I've never seen any android phone with a 1:1 aspect ratio so no app is coded for that

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 10:03 PM
    Sorry you are wrong mate. Android apps are not desugned for 1:1 ratio. This is the reason the apps won't fit on Q10.
    Which is exactly what I said.
    The whole square vs rectangle thing....
    02-03-14 10:25 PM
    Not all apps can be made to fit any screen size (auto-resize) programmatically. Some apps like games require absolute positioning.
    Again, you summarize my point and say I'm wrong.
    You make no sense.
    02-03-14 10:27 PM
    Some games work better than others, even from the same developer. Candy Crush? Works fine. Pet Rescue? Yep. Papa Pear? ...eh, not so much. Tiny, and cuts off the sides on my Q10.

But luckily I didn't buy my Q10 to play android games. I bought it because I love the keyboard, and had to replace my aging Bold 9700 with a modern phone. The rest is just bonus

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 11:44 PM