Time to time, I am not sure what triggers it, but android apps simply stops responding to touch.
    I can see they are still running and swiping from top brings their context menu, but I cannot select anything or interact with the app unless I restart the phone. Is there anywhere I can reboot the android runtime, maybe that will release whatever it is hanging or disabling touch input.
    Last edited by heading4tomorrow; 01-03-15 at 07:15 PM.
    01-03-15 07:03 PM
    It's becoming more and more frequent with my apps and it's getting really annoying. It's bad enough we don't have the app selection and now they just aren't working right.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 07:21 PM
    I used to have this issue very often on my BlackBerry Z10 using 10.0-10.2.1

On 10.3.x I never had any issues like that.

On my Passport, on 10.3.0 and 10.3.1, I've had that issue a few times, but the trick is to just close the apps (on my Z10 with past OS's, it never fixed it, only a restart would), then restart them and often they'll work again.

If they don't, a restart will always fix the problem!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    01-03-15 07:33 PM
    This seems to be getting worse on random basis.
    Today some Android apps don't even launch. Just some black screen.
    Is there a way to reset android runtime. Maybe it's my Google services copy?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    01-11-15 10:49 PM
    When 10.3 officially drops and if the app situation continues like this, I will be testing apple and android. It really bothers that as someone who is a fan of BlackBerry, we aren't really pointing out our flaws. How can some people say oh all my android apps work flawless without any issues and other people saying the exact opposite. Or saying we have the best mobile experience.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:58 AM
    When 10.3 officially drops and if the app situation continues like this, I will be testing apple and android. It really bothers that as someone who is a fan of BlackBerry, we aren't really pointing out our flaws. How can some people say oh all my android apps work flawless without any issues and other people saying the exact opposite. Or saying we have the best mobile experience.

Posted via CB10

It depends on the app. ;-) You test enough Android apps, you will find some that don't work.

What BlackBerry should do is have a central web page to post which apps don't work. Something like Bugzilla, but simpler.

I think BlackBerry could use the "hive" more.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 09:08 PM
    I agree with making a working and non working list but not a single android app works properly. It either takes forever to load or makes my phone hot. Another issue is when opening other apps and jumping between apps, they sometimes become unresponsive after they were working.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 11:18 PM
    I agree with making a working and non working list but not a single android app works properly. It either takes forever to load or makes my phone hot. Another issue is when opening other apps and jumping between apps, they sometimes become unresponsive after they were working.

Posted via CB10
    Actually most of the Android apps work just fine for me. Most of the BlackBerry World apps are actually Android. The T-mobile app for instance.

I'm on a 10.3 leak, so maybe that is why I have more luck. Case in point, I bought a dashcam that has a wifi link. It has a app to view the video on your Android phone. No luck on 10.2, works fine on 10.3. I really didn't need the app, but it was nice that it works. (It is from Transcend. There should be a post from me on Crackberry.)

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 11:47 PM
    It depends on the app. ;-) You test enough Android apps, you will find some that don't work.

What BlackBerry should do is have a central web page to post which apps don't work. Something like Bugzilla, but simpler.

I think BlackBerry could use the "hive" more.

Posted via CB10
    This is not really due to a specific app. It's obviously directly related to Android runtime issues.
    The same app that usually works randomly stops responding. When I try a different app, same thing. So the issue affects all android apps not just one. When I reboot the phone, next time I try the same app, it gives me a black screen for couple of minutes, then starts working. After a while, they stop responding or stop loading altogether.
    In this situation, having a compatible app list doesn't really help because the issue is not caused by a specific app.

01-13-15 08:52 AM
    This is not really due to a specific app. It's obviously directly related to Android runtime issues.
    The same app that usually works randomly stops responding. When I try a different app, same thing. So the issue affects all android apps not just one. When I reboot the phone, next time I try the same app, it gives me a black screen for couple of minutes, then starts working. After a while, they stop responding or stop loading altogether.
    In this situation, having a compatible app list doesn't really help because the issue is not caused by a specific app.

Well that is on your phone. Most of the Android apps run just fine on my Z10. You might want to load the Android taskmaster manager and see if there is an Android app running that you think should be idle. That is, you may have loaded an app that is messing up the system.

I'm running some really hard core Android apps such as the Delorme Earthmate. We're talking a full bluetooth stack and a few gbytes of maps. It runs better on the Z10 than it runs on my Android G2. (The old HTC Tmob phone.)

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 10:01 AM
    I've reported it and sent examples of device logs to BlackBerry. I've got a brand new Passport so hopefully something will get done.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 10:20 AM
    Well that is on your phone. Most of the Android apps run just fine on my Z10. You might want to load the Android taskmaster manager and see if there is an Android app running that you think should be idle. That is, you may have loaded an app that is messing up the system.

I'm running some really hard core Android apps such as the Delorme Earthmate. We're talking a full bluetooth stack and a few gbytes of maps. It runs better on the Z10 than it runs on my Android G2. (The old HTC Tmob phone.)

Posted via CB10
    Well I didn't say it's on everyone's phone, obviously there is something that's causing this and that's what I am trying to find and fix, avoiding fill blown restore.

Task manager is also an Android app. So when I am having issues with unresponsive android runtime or weird touch disabled interface, it also applies to Task Manager app as well, so it doesn't help.

Is there a way to just side load newer android runtime? Or what's the latest leaked 10.2, I am willing to give that a shot.

Thanks.

01-13-15 06:12 PM
    You can always open Device Monitor, go to the Storage tab, open each Android app installed and tap the bin at the bottom to uninstall them properly. Then, restart your phone and install them back one by one to find a culprit. Start by the ones that don't run in the background.

Note that you can also stop any app via the CPU tab (tap the app, then the circle at the bottom). But it's not useful for you as your issue is probably caused by a headless app which will restart if halt.

If the Android runtime is still broken, time for a Reload via Link (click on Preferences in Link)... with no restore afterward. So, remember to save essential data to your SD card or computer before.
    01-13-15 06:37 PM
    You can always open Device Monitor, go to the Storage tab, open each Android app installed and tap the bin at the bottom to uninstall them properly. Then, restart your phone and install them back one by one to find a culprit. Start by the ones that don't run in the background.

Note that you can also stop any app via the CPU tab (tap the app, then the circle at the bottom). But it's not useful for you as your issue is probably caused by a headless app which will restart if halt.

If the Android runtime is still broken, time for a Reload via Link (click on Preferences in Link)... with no restore afterward. So, remember to save essential data to your SD card or computer before.
    Might just be me here, but the CPU stop-app tab doesn't always work, it says it successfully closed the app but the app will remain open or restart itself in the next 5 minutes (without permission to run in background).

Had this issue more on 10.3.0.x official for Passport, but seen it happen a few times here on my phone on 10.3.1.1154.

Hopefully fixed in the 1949 builds but no way to properly test that on my Passport :P

(*fingers crossed for a new Passport leak*)

01-13-15 10:19 PM

I don't see any uninstall for the Android apps. Just a delete.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 05:11 AM
    I don't see any uninstall for the Android apps. Just a delete.
    Same thing for native or Android apps, tap the bin at the bottom.
    01-14-15 06:23 AM
    It's becoming more and more frequent with my apps and it's getting really annoying. It's bad enough we don't have the app selection and now they just aren't working right.

Posted via CB10
    What version of BlackBerry 10 are you running?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 08:04 AM
    Might just be me here, but the CPU stop-app tab doesn't always work, it says it successfully closed the app but the app will remain open or restart itself in the next 5 minutes (without permission to run in background).

Had this issue more on 10.3.0.x official for Passport, but seen it happen a few times here on my phone on 10.3.1.1154.

Hopefully fixed in the 1949 builds but no way to properly test that on my Passport :P

(*fingers crossed for a new Passport leak*)

For this, I usually use Task Manager but that's not very effective either. Apps somehow return.

Device Monitor does not even list the running android apps.

Also, going to storage tab and deleting Android apps one by one is not a convenient solution. The issue is also present upon fresh reboot, so it indicates that it's not a particular app that's causing this.

Maybe it's the Google services.
    Android apps become unresponsive to touch-uploadfromtaptalk1421245790562.jpg
    Android apps become unresponsive to touch-uploadfromtaptalk1421245809459.jpg

Above two are taken at the same time.

01-14-15 08:30 AM
    For this, I usually use Task Manager but that's not very effective either. Apps somehow return.

Device Monitor does not even list the running android apps.

Also, going to storage tab and deleting Android apps one by one is not a convenient solution. The issue is also present upon fresh reboot, so it indicates that it's not a particular app that's causing this.

Maybe it's the Google services.

Above two are taken at the same time.

I may be wrong, but I believe that some android apps are able to run in background right from the start... correct me if I'm wrong though!

Also, yes, could definitely be the modified version of Google services causing the issues!

01-14-15 08:44 AM
    Also, yes, could definitely be the modified version of Google services causing the issues!
    I agree. Uninstall all this Android apps can be start to identify your culprit bugger. Don't forget to restart after and install Task Manager first to be sure all is gone.
    01-14-15 01:34 PM
    I may be wrong, but I believe that some android apps are able to run in background right from the start... correct me if I'm wrong though!

I don't have the Play services installed on my phone. That was on my list of hacks, but I never got around to trying that.

Google Play never sees my phone. I download my apk files from my Linux desktop. I did a post on this in the forum.

I'm not in front of that PC at the moment, but if I recall correctly, the program to download apk files on your desktop is cross platform. Python I think.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:08 PM
    Time to time, I am not sure what triggers it, but android apps simply stops responding to touch.
    I can see they are still running and swiping from top brings their context menu, but I cannot select anything or interact with the app unless I restart the phone. Is there anywhere I can reboot the android runtime, maybe that will release whatever it is hanging or disabling touch input.
    My wife also stops responding to my touch from time to time. Perhaps I should restart her. Can I reboot her runtime? I would also like to release what's hanging! :-D

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    01-14-15 04:12 PM
    This issue is getting worse. It seems I have to restart almost every day if not every other day because apps randomly stop responding to touch. They simply run, I can see they are running but I can't tap on anything at all.
    What could be the reason? Could it be the Google services or something?
    I uninstalled Google Settings today to see of that makes any difference.
    03-01-15 11:39 AM