My device is PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281.

I've noticed that in almost all of the android runtimes I've experienced, certain android apps don't scroll very smoothly, namely 9gag and firefox while others like instagram are smooth like butter.

Has anyone managed to figure out a way to make scrolling smooth for these apps?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 04-16-15 at 03:57 AM.
    04-16-15 01:16 AM
    Me too

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 03:24 AM
    Anything?

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 01:43 AM
    When I was developing android apps I had a few android devices including high-end Samsung. I came from using Apple iPhone and noticed that android just doesn't do scrolling as well, Apple was faster and smoother with less stutter.
    As a developer I had to optimise how the data was loaded in as the user scrolled - using caching mechanisms and what not to improve performance. I saw huge differences in techniques used.
    It doesn't matter how powerful a machine is if the software is not optimised - all these apps are handling the data on screen differently.
    So while yes it could be the phone, it's also plausible it's the software running.

Posted via CB10
    early2bed, jope28 and kye2000 like this.
    04-19-15 02:28 AM
    When I was developing android apps I had a few android devices including high-end Samsung. I came from using Apple iPhone and noticed that android just doesn't do scrolling as well, Apple was faster and smoother with less stutter.
    As a developer I had to optimise how the data was loaded in as the user scrolled - using caching mechanisms and what not to improve performance. I saw huge differences in techniques used.
    It doesn't matter how powerful a machine is if the software is not optimised - all these apps are handling the data on screen differently.
    So while yes it could be the phone, it's also plausible it's the software running.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that. Explains alot!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:19 AM
    Agree with methodinsane. Scrolling behavior is largely dependent on how the developer designed the app. If you load everything into memory each time then you will get smooth scrolling just as if you were reading a newspaper with a magnifying glass. However, it's a tremendous waste of processing capacity and bandwidth to do so. It's more efficient to load in only what the user needs to see, however, if the processing takes longer than the developer optimized for then it won't be smooth. I would expect that using a runtime would cause some lag. Most developers just check to see if it works right on their device and call it a day.
    methodinsane likes this.
    04-20-15 09:34 AM