Hi,

I've done lots of reading and I can't quite find this answer so here we go.

I would like to buy a Passport and I know that email will not work without a data plan, but the browser and some other functions will work over wifi.

So i thought well i don't plan to use the built in email or bbm, I just want to use a browser and an email app of my choice which is an Android app (Aquamail) does not requires google services. So is it possible to load an android app using Cobalts instructions to load android apps on the BB OS and use it over Wifi only without a SIM card?
    10-22-18 03:41 PM
    Your info is based on older BBOS devices. Everything on BlackBerry 10 will work over WiFi.
    10-22-18 03:47 PM
    This is the second thread where you say you have done some research. Clearly you haven't or have been misinformed.

If you want a Passport for browsing and email, you can use the built-in Hub for email and (it will be fabulous) and the built-in browser (it will not be fabulous).

Forget about Aquamail on a Passport. It is not an Android device, it is a BB10 device which can run Android apps on the side. It does this with old APK's and it does it adequately, not well.

Do not confuse BB10 and the older BBOS in regards to email and data.

I say this as a BB10 and Passport lover and heavy user.

Go away and do some more research.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-18 07:40 AM
    Hi,

I've done lots of reading and I can't quite find this answer so here we go.

I would like to buy a Passport and I know that email will not work without a data plan, but the browser and some other functions will work over wifi.

So i thought well i don't plan to use the built in email or bbm, I just want to use a browser and an email app of my choice which is an Android app (Aquamail) does not requires google services. So is it possible to load an android app using Cobalts instructions to load android apps on the BB OS and use it over Wifi only without a SIM card?
    Jets, James is absolutely right that it seems you've been misinformed at the least.

I would advise against using Android apps when native services will work better. Since Aquamail simply connects to IMAP and other accounts which BB10 supports natively, I'd suggest that route. But if you want to try Aquamail you certainly can.

With that said, I second James on doing some more research. In case you have been misinformed, could you let us know how you came to the belief that e-mail will not work without a data plan on Blackberry 10? (as opposed to Blackberry OS, which is the name of the OS that runs on the Bold, Torch, Curve, Storm, and older series of Blackberry devices)
    10-25-18 07:28 PM
    Jets, James is absolutely right that it seems you've been misinformed at the least.

I would advise against using Android apps when native services will work better. Since Aquamail simply connects to IMAP and other accounts which BB10 supports natively, I'd suggest that route. But if you want to try Aquamail you certainly can.

With that said, I second James on doing some more research. In case you have been misinformed, could you let us know how you came to the belief that e-mail will not work without a data plan on Blackberry 10? (as opposed to Blackberry OS, which is the name of the OS that runs on the Bold, Torch, Curve, Storm, and older series of Blackberry devices)
    I did a search and that is what came up on multiple threads. I clearly didn't know the difference between the older BBOS and BB10 which is why I asked the question.

That said I ordered a Priv so will play with that for now until Priv2 comes or even Key2 if i don't like the Priv.
    10-25-18 07:37 PM
    I did a search and that is what came up on multiple threads. I clearly didn't know the difference between the older BBOS and BB10 which is why I asked the question.

That said I ordered a Priv so will play with that for now until Priv2 comes or even Key2 if i don't like the Priv.
    Fair enough! I hope Android works out for you. Let me know if you decide you want to come back to BB10 or have questions about such a move.
    10-25-18 07:40 PM