Amazon Fire Phone Gets Discontinued As $50 Tablet Hype Heats Up : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Fire phone is dead and I don't think amazon will be releasing another one.

Whatever transpired between devs and amazon in regards to blocking the availability of most popular apps for BlackBerry devices (instagram, tinder and many more) has to me, blown up in their face.

Amazon app store could have had 10 million new active users, actively using their services and now it's nothing but an annoyance on our BlackBerry 10 devices.

What good is amazon app store to blackberry users, if it doesn't allow us to download it's most popular apps?

Why bother with the partnership if they are gonna cut BlackBerry off like that anyways?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 03:00 PM
    Makes little difference now.

Upcoming Slider is full Android.

Plus we can install Google Play Store on our BB10 devices thanks to Cobalt.

Amazon was worth the shot a year ago.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-14-15 03:04 PM
    Makes little difference now.

Upcoming Slider is full Android.

Plus we can install Google Play Store on our BB10 devices thanks to Cobalt.

Amazon was worth the shot a year ago.

If amazon app store devs didn't block the download and install of instagram, tinder and such on BlackBerry devices, the consumer community would have received BlackBerry 10 more openly.

I'm just angry that even though almost ALL the big name apps were infact on amazon app store, BUT it wasn't available to BlackBerry users.

Now myself and some BlackBerry fans have to deal with an android or ios only future.

I think it's very sad.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 03:12 PM
    I don't think the Amazon App store is useless. I don't use a lot of android apps, but I have 7 installed from Amazon and 6 installed using Snap. Of these, I rarely use 4 of them. I have a personal cloud (WD Mycloud) so the Amazon WD apps are very important for me, and therefore it is useful. At this point, I personally have no need for Google Play Services, so I could easily do without android BB devices, but in the future, maybe I will.
    09-14-15 03:13 PM
    This has been going on way too long,make an announcement already,lol
    09-14-15 03:15 PM
    Now myself and some BlackBerry fans have to deal with an android or ios only future.

I think it's very sad.

Posted via CB10
    This is hardly the reason for that though. Maybe it's 1 of 20 things on the list.

09-14-15 03:20 PM
    This has been going on way too long,make an announcement already,lol
    Many here said when they made the Amazon announcement last year that the Amazon store was already dying. I don't think the Amazon phone caused the problem, I think developers have the hands full just dealing with one or two platforms.... It's redundant, and small developers just don't have the time, lager developers there is no ROI.
    09-14-15 03:20 PM
    Amazon Fire Phone Gets Discontinued As $50 Tablet Hype Heats Up : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Fire phone is dead and I don't think amazon will be releasing another one.

Whatever transpired between devs and amazon in regards to blocking the availability of most popular apps for BlackBerry devices (instagram, tinder and many more) has to me, blown up in their face.

Amazon app store could have had 10 million new active users, actively using their services and now it's nothing but an annoyance on our BlackBerry 10 devices.

What good is amazon app store to blackberry users, if it doesn't allow us to download it's most popular apps?

Why bother with the partnership if they are gonna cut BlackBerry off like that anyways?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    In terms of a "partnership" and such, I don't think it was ever as tangible as we would have hoped. If I had to guess, it was more of Amazon allowing BBRY to use its environment. Amazon gained a few sales without having to do anything.

I think if one views that conjectural scenario, what occurred makes a bit more sense. The developers acted like normal people do, and the ones I spoke to (a limited number) simply said they got a lot of EVIL feedback from users they didn't know they had (aka BB10 users). Consequently, they adjusted.

So, again, it's a BB10 issue, IMHO.

The Fire Phone was an expensive experiment, but underscores the need for a very good ecosystem for Android devices.
    09-14-15 03:27 PM
    I
    The Fire Phone was an expensive experiment, but underscores the need for a very good ecosystem for Android devices.
    Yup. For Android it's Google Play Store and Google Play Services or nothing. Google and the OHA has made sure of that.

09-14-15 03:30 PM
    Many here said when they made the Amazon announcement last year that the Amazon store was already dying. I don't think the Amazon phone caused the problem, I think developers have the hands full just dealing with one or two platforms.... It's redundant, and small developers just don't have the time, lager developers there is no ROI.
    I don't think you see my point, instagram for example is on amazon app store, available to download and install for ONLY amazon devices, and it's really nothing different from the Google play store version, as I know, instagram doesn't use Google play services anyways, so why would that be keep any dev busy? Just plonk in the amazon app store what you would with the Google play store version.

Everyone on the crackberry community knows that instagram for android works perfectly with our android runtime. Right from the beginning might I add with any version or instagram on any BlackBerry android runtime version.

In fact I load instagram on my passport almost as fast as my friends new SGS6.

So why was it blocked for BlackBerry amazon app store users?

Also it still baffles me how amazon app store with its smaller than even BlackBerry App World user Base gets entries from instagram when BlackBerry App World gets jack.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 03:35 PM
    I don't think you see my point, instagram for example is on amazon app store, available to download and install for ONLY amazon devices, and it's really nothing different from the Google play store version, as I know, instagram doesn't use Google play services anyways, so why would that be keep any dev busy? Just plonk in the amazon app store what you would with the Google play store version.

Everyone on the crackberry community knows that instagram for android works perfectly with our android runtime. Right from the beginning might I add with any version or instagram on any BlackBerry android runtime version.

In fact I load instagram on my passport almost as fast as my friends new SGS6.

So why was it blocked for BlackBerry amazon app store users?

Also it still baffles me how amazon app store with its smaller than even BlackBerry App World user Base gets entries from instagram when BlackBerry App World gets jack.

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't Instagram an app ransom player? If so, I can see where a single complaint would spark a block.
    09-14-15 03:38 PM
    Wasn't Instagram an app ransom player? If so, I can see where a single complaint would spark a block.
    Cause the reviews from amazon devices users were so good?

Amazon app store for BlackBerry is useless-img_20150915_044736.png

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 03:48 PM
    Cause the reviews from amazon devices users were so good?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150915_044736.png 
Views:	1007 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	371272

Posted via CB10
    No, but (and my memory is foggy) if Instagram was an app ransom player like Netflix, I completely understand toggling off accessibility the second a report from a BB10 user came in.

Instagram didn't come to Amazon because they liked Amazon.
    09-14-15 04:00 PM
    No, but (and my memory is foggy) if Instagram was an app ransom player like Netflix, I completely understand toggling off accessibility the second a report from a BB10 user came in.

Instagram didn't come to Amazon because they liked Amazon.
    I'm a little confused at what "app ransom player" means, kindly elaborate sir.

Does it secretly take pictures of the user and then demands a ransom?

Like this?:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...orn-ransomware

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 04:07 PM
    I'm a little confused at what "app ransom player" means, kindly elaborate sir.

Does it secretly take pictures of the user and then demands a ransom?

Like this?:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...orn-ransomware

Posted via CB10
    Way back when, when BlackBerry was looking to fix the app issue natively, the writers here mentioned app ransoms becoming a concept. Basically, big name apps demanding a huge upfront payments and/or maintenance.

I believe it. Since then, I have had the opportunity to confirm such exists.

I am fairly certain it occurred with Netflix.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    09-14-15 04:22 PM
    My thoughts:

App availability on BB10 native is very limited.
    App performance from BB10 native is great.

App availability on Amazon is better.
    App performance from Amazon is horrible.

App availability on Snap is good.
    App performance from Snap is OK.

BBRY decided not to negotiate with Google and decided misery loves company, so partnered with the Amazon app store.
    Obviously they once again demonstrated their lack of understanding when it comes to apps.

Personally, since I carry two devices, my Classic meets and exceeds all my communication and work needs and my Lumia 1520 (to be replaced with the upcoming Slider) serves my needs for games, news, and reading.
    deadcowboy likes this.
    09-14-15 04:31 PM
    Way back when, when BlackBerry was looking to fix the app issue natively, the writers here mentioned app ransoms becoming a concept. Basically, big name apps demanding a huge upfront payments and/or maintenance.

I believe it. Since then, I have had the opportunity to confirm such exists.

I am fairly certain it occurred with Netflix.
    That makes complete sense to me. Thanks for that it explains alot.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 04:38 PM
    My thoughts:

App availability on BB10 native is very limited.
    App performance from BB10 native is great.

App availability on Amazon is better.
    App performance from Amazon is horrible.

App availability on Snap is good.
    App performance from Snap is OK.

BBRY decided not to negotiate with Google and decided misery loves company, so partnered with the Amazon app store.
    Obviously they once again demonstrated their lack of understanding when it comes to apps.

Personally, since I carry two devices, my Classic meets and exceeds all my communication and work needs and my Lumia 1520 (to be replaced with the upcoming Slider) serves my needs for games, news, and reading.
    Android app performance is the same whether you obtain the app from Amazon or Snap - they are just stores.

There was nothing to negotiate with Google. If you have a forked version of Android, it is a non-starter. Amazon was BlackBerry's only option at that time.

09-14-15 04:43 PM
    Android app performance is the same whether you obtain the app from Amazon or Snap - they are just stores.

There was nothing to negotiate with Google. If you have a forked version of Android, it is a non-starter. Amazon was BlackBerry's only option at that time.

True - the runtime is the same, however apps are not updated at the Amazon app store and most are so outdated they don't get the benefit of newer updates and improvements. My experience is specific to apps like Spotify and Fitbit.

BBRY could have negotiated with Google to get Play services without joining the alliance and NOT fork another inferior version of android. This is what they ended up doing anyways (assuming the Slider is indeed Android) because they have not joined the alliance, yet are going to ship an Android device.
    09-14-15 07:51 PM
    BBRY could have negotiated with Google to get Play services without joining the alliance and NOT fork another inferior version of android. This is what they ended up doing anyways (assuming the Slider is indeed Android) because they have not joined the alliance, yet are going to ship an Android device.
    Well of course they could have gone full Android earlier. I didn't think that's what you were originally getting at.

09-14-15 07:57 PM
    The future is coming soon .. :P
    Please wait .. as Venice is going full android .. BB10 devices will also get update that will take us to the androidBB.
    this news will come soon .. if you can install a build of Venice OS in your BB10 device its done .. Amazon app store for BlackBerry is useless-waiting-game-meme-generator-now-waiting-game-07fc04.png
    Till December these things should get clear out.. and you wont be asking yourself this question..
    But ya as a BB user its good that u have amazon app store .. I just installed trial extreme 3 .. its running cool .. I am loving it ..
    And why it is good ? ..well its always good to have options..
    09-14-15 09:43 PM
    If amazon app store devs didn't block the download and install of instagram, tinder and such on BlackBerry devices, the consumer community would have received BlackBerry 10 more openly.

I'm just angry that even though almost ALL the big name apps were infact on amazon app store, BUT it wasn't available to BlackBerry users.

I think it's very sad.

Posted via CB10
    The ability for devs to select supported or unsupported devices for each app exists in ALL app-stores and it is not something that can be forced upon them. There are a lot of filters for devices based on screen size, screen ratios, specs, OS version etc.

If a dev, for ANY REASON (subjective or objective) doesn't want to support certain devices then Amazon, Google, BB or any other app-store providers can't force them to.
    09-15-15 03:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because the Amazon Store just sells APK's. No extra work for the devs. To make a BlackBerry App (a real one), the devs need to build for a different platform.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 04:50 AM
    The future is coming soon .. :P
    Please wait .. as Venice is going full android .. BB10 devices will also get update that will take us to the androidBB.
    this news will come soon .. if you can install a build of Venice OS in your BB10 device its done .. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waiting-game-meme-generator-and-now-the-waiting-game-07fc04.PNG 
Views:	682 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	371315
    Till December these things should get clear out.. and you wont be asking yourself this question..
    But ya as a BB user its good that u have amazon app store .. I just installed trial extreme 3 .. its running cool .. I am loving it ..
    And why it is good ? ..well its always good to have options..
    What is your source for your claim that we will be able to install Android on our existing BB10 devices?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 04:51 AM
    how can we remove amazon on the latest update, it only lowers my phone memory, HELP!

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 05:15 AM
44 12