I would say 5 million sold in the first 2 months of production is rather good for a niche product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Perhaps I worded it poorly, but I didn't want to suggest the sales were downright rubbish - Samsung is the best-selling smartphone manufacturer in the world after all, they're not going to make something that doesn't sell. But it's a far cry from the significantly smaller iPhone 5, or even the Galaxy S3. If people are all swaying towards larger screens, then how come so many of them opted for a smaller device with the exact same OS, from the exact same manufacturer?
    01-27-13 06:34 PM
    I would say 5 million sold in the first 2 months of production is rather good for a niche product.

Maybe globally, i asked my carrier store, she's sold three.
    01-27-13 06:50 PM
    I was hoping for a more sleek design (physically and UI pov). I was impressed by the last pic that leaked. If I decide to purchase one, ill definitely go with the black Z10.

Sent from my Iphone 5 using Tapatalk
    01-27-13 06:52 PM
    Perhaps I worded it poorly, but I didn't want to suggest the sales were downright rubbish - Samsung is the best-selling smartphone manufacturer in the world after all, they're not going to make something that doesn't sell. But it's a far cry from the significantly smaller iPhone 5, or even the Galaxy S3. If people are all swaying towards larger screens, then how come so many of them opted for a smaller device with the exact same OS, from the exact same manufacturer?
    Like I said, the Note 2 selling that many being a niche product tells me the trend is definitely moving towards larger screens. We just disagree what the sweet spot of that trend is. I think 4.5-5� right now and possibly moving higher over the next 2 years. One thing is for certain, you won't hear too many people saying, "darn, I wish I would have bought that 4" inch screen instead of this 5" phone".

01-27-13 06:58 PM
    I like the design of both the Z10 and X10 OP. Everyone has their own preference though. Personally I think the samsung galaxy and note phones are the cheapest feeling and looking high end phones on the market right now.
    01-27-13 07:15 PM
    Like I said, the Note 2 selling that many being a niche product tells me the trend is definitely moving towards larger screens. We just disagree what the sweet spot of that trend is. I think 4.5-5� right now and possibly moving higher over the next 2 years. One thing is for certain, you won't hear too many people saying, "darn, I wish I would have bought that 4" inch screen instead of this 5" phone".

And yet I saw exactly that when I went on my search for people disappointed with the iPhone 5's screen earlier - people happy they went to a smaller screen. Granted, I haven't used a Note 2 personally, but I can't imagine it's terribly easy to use with just one hand for instance, while a huge part of BlackBerry 10 is one-handed use. And you'd be surprised at how many people value one-handed use. Yes, the general trend lately has been to increase screen size, but you can only go so far before it becomes unreasonably large for most people - that's what ultimately makes phablets a niche. They're for people willing to sacrifice a little portability (and possibly dignity) for that screen real estate. Is it possible that more people will be willing to make that sacrifice in the future? Maybe. But we can only speculate.
    HafeezAkmal and DJM626 like this.
    01-27-13 07:23 PM
    I think the Z10 looks ok. Doesn't do anything to stand out, but maybe understatement is their plan with the design.
    OS is nothing special looks wise either, but functionality is more important than looks IMO.

The leaked photos of the supposed X10 are not very attractive.
    But the final model of the Z10 look better than the early leaked photos, so I'm guessing the X10 will look better at release as well.
    Blacklatino and Majestic Lion like this.
    01-27-13 07:37 PM
    Until you see either the X10 or Z10 in real life I would suggest your opinion doesn't mean much. Those that have seen the Z10 like it very much. The problem with the X10 is that it may look like your 9730 too much ! Besides folks don't buy a QWERTY device for it's looks.
    01-27-13 07:38 PM
    How is it determined what is shown on these active frames? Will the user have a choice of customizations, or is it basically up to the developer what is shown? Owner customization would be nice, but I'm guessing it's probably up to the developer.

It's up to the dev what to display.
    That said, a dev could offer some customization options if they chose to.
    Admorris likes this.
    01-27-13 07:39 PM
    Sorry, just not true on the "man purse" comment. I have a Note 2 and it easily fits in any pocket I need to put it in. Once you get used to the size I can almost guarantee you'll never look at another phone with a screen under 5".

really? I dumped my galaxy note after months using it because of that and switched back to my 9900. it really was just bells & whistles. Size doesn't matter much after all. its comes back to your matter of preference. don't be judgmental because it's not like the majority of the crowd like the 5" display you're talking about.
    dadymon likes this.
    01-27-13 07:41 PM
    im throwing away my s3 and im getting the blackberry z10 phone looks awesome and it has great specs...
    01-27-13 07:45 PM
    On the screen size debate, I think there's nothing wrong with the size of the Z10. In fact, size is the only thing that stopped me from getting an SGS3.
    There's obviously a market for screens of all sizes, but I think RIM made the right choice by picking a point somewhere in between the popular small and large screens.
    01-27-13 07:50 PM
    And yet I saw exactly that when I went on my search for people disappointed with the iPhone 5's screen earlier - people happy they went to a smaller screen. Granted, I haven't used a Note 2 personally, but I can't imagine it's terribly easy to use with just one hand for instance, while a huge part of BlackBerry 10 is one-handed use. And you'd be surprised at how many people value one-handed use. Yes, the general trend lately has been to increase screen size, but you can only go so far before it becomes unreasonably large for most people - that's what ultimately makes phablets a niche. They're for people willing to sacrifice a little portability (and possibly dignity) for that screen real estate. Is it possible that more people will be willing to make that sacrifice in the future? Maybe. But we can only speculate.
    Yep, we'll agree to disagree on this one. I think numbers support my position that the trend is leaning heavily towards larger screened phones. Of course there will always be a market for small screens, but that is not where screens are headed. And we do agree that at a certain point, screens become unusable...I wouldn't want anything bigger than what I have now.

01-27-13 07:56 PM
    IMO I think the x10 could use some extra loving but the z10 is a sexy device. I am loving it all the way. Great screen size and a good form factor that will fit in the hand nicely. Now to only get one in my hands.
    01-27-13 08:02 PM
    4.2" screen is typical BB...arriving at the game too late. 4.5" screens and up are the new fad and what people are looking for when they walk in to retail stores. There will be a entire group of customers that will discount the BB without even picking it up due to the screen size.

I hear from people every day that say they don't like those big "phones" and wouldn't buy one. One size does not fit all. There are rumors of a larger phone coming which means they will have both sides covered pretty well. The bottom line is that you can't make everyone happy.

James
    01-27-13 08:10 PM
    I hear from people every day that say they don't like those big "phones" and wouldn't buy one. One size does not fit all. There are rumors of a larger phone coming which means they will have both sides covered pretty well. The bottom line is that you can't make everyone happy.

James
    I'm not saying that RIM should only build large phones, but they need to attract those of us who want a larger size phone, which we all agree is a growing population! RIM is trying to get back on the game, so they need to add more variety to their product line.

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    01-27-13 08:42 PM
    I'm not saying that RIM should only build large phones, but they need to attract those of us who want a larger size phone, which we all agree is a growing population! RIM is trying to get back on the game, so they need to add more variety to their product line.

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    The problem is, the larger phone isn't where the larger part of the market its so it would be a bad move by RIM to start there. I for one would wait if they put out a larger phone. I don't want anything up around the Note size.

Making a larger phone might not be a bad idea but its not the place to start in my opinion.

James
    01-27-13 09:09 PM
    I like the design of both the Z10 and X10 OP. Everyone has their own preference though. Personally I think the samsung galaxy and note phones are the cheapest feeling and looking high end phones on the market right now.
    People think I'm crazy, but I thought the SG3 felt a little bit cheap too.
    01-27-13 09:12 PM
    not going to work OP. I'm still buying one.
    01-27-13 09:14 PM
    People think I'm crazy, but I thought the SG3 felt a little bit cheap too.
    Samsung puts the quality in the screen, besides I use otter box commuter, that covers the plastic back! I can use my note with one hand thanks to aid and launchers. All I can say to RIM is to get with the times or get left behind!
    01-27-13 09:35 PM
    Samsung puts the quality in the screen, besides I use otter box commuter, that covers the plastic back! I can use my note with one hand thanks to aid and launchers. All I can say to RIM is to get with the times or get left behind!
    Have always used cases on my devices since my Palms, so yeah it does become somewhat moot. But the perceived build quality was a reason I didn't get the SG3... though now that I see the development community that has developed around it, I get a little jealous LOL.
    01-27-13 09:40 PM
    Hello fellow crackberry enthusiasts I must admit I am very disappointed with the looks and design of bb10 I was really expecting more especially with the multiple delays for the new platform. I showed a picture of the z10 to one of my co workers and he said it looked like a "metro pcs" phone lol for the touchscreen the lack of a chrome bezel is the biggest fault and it looks rather bulky and the qwerty version let's not even start my bold 9930 looks very high quality with great build quality while the x10 looks too bland and boring with cheap looking materials. I know the hardware is going to be good but is it going to be better than iphone5 or S3? I'm worried blackberry will fail because it won't be able to attract new buyers therefore buying a blackberry 10 device at launch would be a huge waste of money due to the fact that prices will drop in a few months if sells are low. I'm buying a iphone for my mom next week I might have to convert to the "darkside" too

Please give me some feedback on the dimensions of the final versions of both devices? I'm pretty sure the device won't change much from the dev alphas and the phones showed at ces 2013?
    Sent from my bb playbook
    If the lack of a chrome bezel is the biggest fault...we are doing good! lol
    Meh...chrome belongs on a motorcycle! I find that shiny things are the first to show signs of wear and tear from use.

I definitely hear you there with the 9930, both my 9900's are the best looking devices I've owned..but..my 9860 has been indestructible. All we have to go on the X10 is speculation and unofficial leaks. I'm a function over fashion kinda guy. I see so many ios and samsung screens smashed/cracked from very minor drops or other issues. That being said I will be wrapping my new BB10 in a decent case/holster combo
    01-27-13 09:43 PM

I have a friend that chose the droid incredible lte over all other android phones because it was the only "small" android phone left on verizon. I personally would not own a phone that cannot be easily used with one hand. All my other friends have iphones, which are small in comparison.

We'll see.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-27-13 09:54 PM
    im throwing away my s3 and im getting the blackberry z10 phone looks awesome and it has great specs...
    You're going on the record as saying you're throwing it away? I'm going on the record and asking you send it to me. I'll pay for postage.
    Admorris likes this.
    01-27-13 09:57 PM
    I hope the build quality to be top-notch, any chance that RIM will use aluminum metal?
    01-27-13 10:07 PM
139 ... 23456