Good morning,

Can you recommend a 3rd party browser which has more performance to offer than the native one?

Actually I am satisfied overall with the native one. But sometimes some webpages (pretty rarely) are looking a bit weird after loading.

Now I am looking to test a 3rd party browser such as Evolution, Web splitter, browser 10 and browsie browser. If anyone is using one of those please feel free to tell me about your experiences.

Thank you in advance and greetings from germany...

BlackBerry OS10 � It ain't over until it's over! White Passport...
    02-23-16 01:39 AM
    Zeus browser.
    Supports flash, based on the native browser

CB10 on PP SE in UK on 3
    02-23-16 01:59 AM
    I use Browsie Browser when a web pages doesn't work correctly in the stock Browser. Browsie Browser will usually work on these problem pages.

In my case it is usually a functionality problem such as a table in the page not scrolling correctly.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 05:37 AM
    I use multiple browsers on my device simply for convenience and have used most of the popular BB10 browser alternatives. Currently installed are Zeus Browser, Alpha Browser, Browsie Browser, Hub Browser, Card Browser, Web-Splitter Browser, Evolution Web Browser, QuickSearch Browser, OhHai Browser, and QBrowser Pro.

I've never done any benchmark comparisons of any of them so rely on how each works for me with my intended purpose. That said, I find Browsie Browser, QBrowser Pro, and Evolution to be the strongest contenders for the Native browser alternative particularly if you've a desire for ad blocking.

Alpha Browser (also has ad blocking) and OhHai perform well but do seem to be a bit slower in start up compared to the others on my device (Verizon Z30). Zeus certainly if any of your favorite sites still require Flash.

Card and Hub Browser aren't full fledged (nor are they intended to be) so I probably shouldn't have included them but if you've a need for a quick look at a link from an email, you can't go wrong with either.
    02-23-16 06:10 AM
    All third-party browsers are really just add-ons based on a really old open-source. They are all buggy when used on keyboard-enabled devices (e.g. Passport).

Here's one example. Open a Web page that is not optimized for mobile. Zoom into main content. Start hitting spacebar. In stock browser, the page will be correctly scrolled down, vertically, one page at a time.

Here's what happens in Browsie, HUB, Card, Alpha, Evolution, QBrowser Pro (yes, I bought them all): once you start hitting spacebar, the page will be scrolled a seemingly random number of lines (from just a few to multiple pages). Moreover, every time you scroll, the content will be shifted to the left. (Test page: try exler.ru, it's not mobile optimized).

I contacted these browsers' respective developers, but received no reply from either of them.
    02-23-16 06:32 AM
    All third-party browsers are really just add-ons based on a really old open-source. They are all buggy when used on keyboard-enabled devices (e.g. Passport).

Here's one example. Open a Web page that is not optimized for mobile. Zoom into main content. Start hitting spacebar. In stock browser, the page will be correctly scrolled down, vertically, one page at a time.

Here's what happens in Browsie, HUB, Card, Alpha, Evolution, QBrowser Pro (yes, I bought them all): once you start hitting spacebar, the page will be scrolled a seemingly random number of lines (from just a few to multiple pages). Moreover, every time you scroll, the content will be shifted to the left. (Test page: try exler.ru, it's not mobile optimized).

I contacted these browsers' respective developers, but received no reply from either of them.
    From my perspective, that would seem to be an issue for the website developer - not that of the app developer. You said yourself the page isn't mobile optimized. How can you reasonably expect a mobile browser to render a page correctly if it doesn't conform to standards for mobile optimization? I would think if a website owner wanted the mobile traffic then it should be their responsibility to properly optimize the site for it.

In any case, my device is touch and the referred page renders and scrolls just fine on the browsers I popped it up on. I acknowledge you mentioned the problem occurs on keyboard enabled devices.
    dangerousfen likes this.
    02-23-16 07:03 AM
    Zeus is a must-have second browser for anyone with BlackBerry 10, for the flash that was ditched too soon. I used to always use web splitter, but its not working the same for me as it used to. I am experimenting with QBrowser Pro, and it seems to be a great video ad blocker but so far it hasnt been the whole answer to my new problems using Crackberry in desktop mode on BB10. (Crackberry, why do you hate BlackBerry?) hah.

It would sure be nice if the Origami Browser could be cloned for BlackBerry 10. I'm back to Playbook surfing just so i can get here and surf in peace again; other sites I visit work fine with BB10 browsers.

I use Browsie sometimes too. Others I have tried i just deleted when they didnt work right, and i forget which ones they were.

Sometimes you have to go back to portrait mode from landscape mode in order to scroll right, i found out on the QBrowser Pro, at least for my problems with this site.
    02-23-16 07:45 AM
    For any who might be interested, Evolution Browser was just updated this morning. https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US

I think it's a good idea to mention when any native BB10 app gets an update.
    02-23-16 08:13 AM
    Evolution has just done a update. Try that

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 10:51 AM
    How can you reasonably expect a mobile browser to render a page correctly
    Uhm... I dunno... maybe because all Android browsers (Chrome, Opera, UC, Amazon Silk), Windows Phone's Internet Explorer, Windows 10 Mobile Edge, iOS Safari and even BlackBerry 10 stock Browser handle that very page without issues? Don't these things set a reasonable expectation of performance? Now, I understand that third-party BB10 browsers are not in the league of Opera, UC or other independent Android browsers, but being based on a single buggy open-source code and charging their users for those bugs is just... wrong.
    02-23-16 11:26 AM
    Evolution has just done a update. Try that
    Just checked. The bug with page scrolling using spacebar is still there. It's unlikely any developer will bother fixing it as it requires substantial work (altering the scrolling engine coded in the open source). After all, I haven't received a single reply from any developer after reporting this issue.
    02-23-16 11:38 AM
    Uhm... I dunno... maybe because all Android browsers (Chrome, Opera, UC, Amazon Silk), Windows Phone's Internet Explorer, Windows 10 Mobile Edge, iOS Safari and even BlackBerry 10 stock Browser handle that very page without issues? Don't these things set a reasonable expectation of performance? Now, I understand that third-party BB10 browsers are not in the league of Opera, UC or other independent Android browsers, but being based on a single buggy open-source code and charging their users for those bugs is just... wrong.
    I would use the android browser that works for the isolated pages of your frequented site that don't conform to the mobile standards then and be grateful you have the option

I'm just saying that I wouldn't feel justified in barking at the browser app developer vs the website owner for the fix in an instance like that. As far as my expectation of performance - if you referred to a site that was mobile friendly and similar issue resulted then fine, I can see utility in bringing it to the attention of the app developer. No one browser I've ever used, desktop or mobile, handles everything thrown at it in a manner that suits me. That may explain why I like having such a myriad of alternatives at my disposal.

As it is, BlackBerry developers are faced with a limited set of core resources to work with and there is likely a several thousand fold difference in the numbers of Android vs BlackBerry developers working on an issue at any point in time. Thankfully, it's open source though and you're welcome to contribute your time, energy, and expertise toward a non-fee based solution toward a remedy in this matter.
    02-23-16 12:19 PM
    There is no download manager in Browsie Browser. It works fine otherwise. I use it occasionally when some ad sponsored websites start running autoplay video ads. That is just too much! Otherwise I use the stock browser and just ignore the ads.

If any 3rd party devs or even hopefully BlackBerry is reading this, Apple put out a job ad for what looks to me to be a junior level dev to work on webRTC and other next gen browser features. I suspect they are already working on this and just are staffing up QA, though the ad didn't exactly read that way.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 12:24 PM
    Well the reason behind my question is the fact that nobody here @ CB knows is the future of BlackBerry 10. Therefore it is uncertain if the native browser will be still further developed or not? The same goes for 3rd party browsers from the Appworld.

Meanwhile I tried some Android browsers like Chrome, Opera and Firefox. I am a bit surprised about the performance of those, especially Firefox. Runs fast and smooth! Maybe this is the real alternate for an up 2 date browser until the day I stop to use my Passport as my daily driver...

02-29-16 01:59 PM
    Well the reason behind my question is the fact that nobody here @ CB knows is the future of BlackBerry 10. Therefore it is uncertain if the native browser will be still further developed or not? The same goes for 3rd party browsers from the Appworld.

Meanwhile I tried some Android browsers like Chrome, Opera and Firefox. I am a bit surprised about the performance of those, especially Firefox. Runs fast and smooth! Maybe this is the real alternate for an up 2 date browser until the day I stop to use my Passport as my daily driver...

I will give the Android FF a try. The thing about FF is Mozilla NSS. They implement all the security stuff in that platform, while Chrome tries to use the OS. Chrome tends to be faster, but I have had kernel updates break Chrome, where FF keeps working. This is related to their desktop products.

FF is open source. It is not trivial to compile. Most of Chrome is open source. So in theory they could be made native, but practice is way harder than theory.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 07:21 PM
    There are the android chromium sources available, I wonder if it could be ported to native? Considering google is normally one of the best for compatability and supporting new web technologies I would think this would be the best way forward.

When all the native apps for Facebook etc. stop working due to API changes and the Android runtime gets too old to be relevant, the Web is going to be the only way to use our bb10 devices, unfortunately as we don't use a 'popular' browser, no-one is going to test for compatibility and the native browser is showing its age sometimes when things don't render correctly or render slowly.

Fortunately it's still ok for the time being but at some point it's going to become unusable...

Posted via CB10
    03-01-16 03:03 AM
    I use firefox for android as primary browser on my Blackberry. It's smooth, can sync with my PC browser. Specially,i can block ad on firefox with add-ons (ublock origin).
    Native browser on blackberry can't sync,can't block ad (at that moment)
    03-02-16 12:27 AM
    There are the android chromium sources available, I wonder if it could be ported to native? Considering google is normally one of the best for compatability and supporting new web technologies I would think this would be the best way forward.

When all the native apps for Facebook etc. stop working due to API changes and the Android runtime gets too old to be relevant, the Web is going to be the only way to use our bb10 devices, unfortunately as we don't use a 'popular' browser, no-one is going to test for compatibility and the native browser is showing its age sometimes when things don't render correctly or render slowly.

Fortunately it's still ok for the time being but at some point it's going to become unusable...

Posted via CB10
    If you look at what powers the bb10 browser, it is just a combination of open source projects glommed together, not unlike Safari, which is just a souped up version of KDE Konquerer/webkit. (Apple has a proprietary Javascript engine.)

What I've noticed is websites not sniffing the bb10 user agent properly. For instance the Guardian website won't play videos unless you are in desktop mode. I haven't got around to complaining to them about that.

But basically bb10 is WebKit. That makes it very IOS like.

https://webkit.org/

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 10:53 AM
    Palemoon, it is an android app, its opensource and based in firefox (but light and faster)

I tried in an BB10 and its a killer app.
    Every platform should have a native firefox....

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 03:08 AM
    The problem with the stock browser is, on my Passport I have keyboard input lags on the comment section at different websites. Eurogamer and so on...
    The problem with third party browsers, I can't setup them at the systemwide default browser, so my BlackBerry assistant open it directly when I search for something...
    In every way it's a pain

モーニング娘。15 ... my BlackBerryZ : Storm9500, Torch9860, Bold9900, Z10, Passport
    03-04-16 03:16 AM
    If you look at what powers the bb10 browser, it is just a combination of open source projects glommed together, not unlike Safari, which is just a souped up version of KDE Konquerer/webkit. (Apple has a proprietary Javascript engine.)

What I've noticed is websites not sniffing the bb10 user agent properly. For instance the Guardian website won't play videos unless you are in desktop mode. I haven't got around to complaining to them about that.

But basically bb10 is WebKit. That makes it very IOS like.

https://webkit.org/
    Firefox for iOS uses Webkit. I wonder if it's possible to make a BB10 native browser with Firefox Sync ported from the iOS version lol
    03-11-16 10:43 PM