This has to be one of the more annoying features of OS10 I have discovered. How does one call for example 888TWCABLE? On my 9900 on the phone app i can type is a mix of numbers and characters and the phone dials without any additional steps. Using the Assistant does not work either. Did BB really remove this basic feature?
    03-20-15 12:38 AM
    It's as simple as dialing 8888922253. The letters are right under the numbers on the dial pad much like how they're been for years on landline touch tone phones.
    MADBRADNYC and der_mit like this.
    03-20-15 12:52 AM
    Wow...

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 12:54 AM
    You are missing the point. This was a very basic feature on OS7 and prior which is no longer on OS10. Why would BB remove Smart dialing?
    03-20-15 12:57 AM
    Do you really think I don't know how to dial the full number without alpha characters?

I'm astonished people feel the need to respond without actually addressing the question or issue!
    03-20-15 01:04 AM
    Wasn't the Smart Dialing feature on BBOS something to with setting default area/country codes?

Anyway...

I get what you're saying. It makes sense on a hardware qwerty keyboard to enable dialing by simply hitting the letter on the keyboard, since it would be damn near impossibly to fit tiny letters onto the 9 numeric keys (or for a user to see them). I wouldn't consider it a feature per se, just a modification of the input method to work around the QWERTY layout. You don't need to do that with a virtual keyboard since it can change to suit the usage. The touch tone phone layout is pretty standard. Everyone knows it. Every virtual keyboard phone uses it on their dialer. It just plain would not be user friendly if your all touch phone threw up a QWERTY keyboard when you're trying to dial a phone number.
    03-20-15 01:16 AM
    Wasn't the Smart Dialing feature on BBOS something to with setting default area/country codes?

Anyway...

I get what you're saying. It makes sense on a hardware qwerty keyboard to enable dialing by simply hitting the letter on the keyboard, since it would be damn near impossibly to fit tiny letters onto the 9 numeric keys (or for a user to see them). I wouldn't consider it a feature per se, just a modification of the input method to work around the QWERTY layout. You don't need to do that with a virtual keyboard since it can change to suit the usage. The touch tone phone layout is pretty standard. Everyone knows it. Every virtual keyboard phone uses it on their dialer. It just plain would not be user friendly if your all touch phone threw up a QWERTY keyboard when you're trying to dial a phone number.
    The feature Smart Dialing is there still you are correct, i should have used different words to describe this feature.

I understand what you are saying but the Classic keyboard is identical to the 9900 and this feature worked just fine on that phone. I don't see the harm in leaving this feature there. Sure it is not a deal breaker but it is quite an inconvenience and really no excuse for BB to not include this feature on the classic in my opinion. Another tradeoff i guess between the 9900 and OS10
    03-20-15 01:21 AM
    Just try typing TWCable and assistant should have the contact on screen before you've finished typing.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    03-20-15 05:20 AM