Could someone explain to me how album art images work? I had the idea that in some cases, the image is somehow coded into the mp3. For example, I have some single tracks that I've bought on Amazon, and the music player shows the art for the album from which I got it. I assume the player reads the art somewhere in the mp3 file itself. In other cases, it doesn't show anything.

But in some cases, a track that shows nothing in the BB10 music player will show an image in the CyanogenMod music player on my OnePlus one. So the CM player is finding the art but the BB10 player isn't.

There's a BB10 app, "Album Art Grabber", that finds album art online and lets you save it in a folder as a file called "folder.jpg." If you do this, then all the tracks in that folder will show that same image, so if you want accurate cover art you have to be sure to separate different albums into different folders.

There are several Android apps that do the same thing, such as "Cover Art Grabber", but they don't seem to work reliably; sometimes the album art gets associated with the tracks; sometimes not.

I guess my question is, How is this supposed to work? Should the mp3 file be edited to incorporate album art?
    12-28-15 12:50 PM
    Should the mp3 file be edited to incorporate album art?
    That would be the proper way to do it. Ideally, the album art would be built into the ID3 tag, which most reliable resources of audio files will do such as Google, Amazon, iTunes, etc. In some cases, apps have the feature built in where it will read the ID3 tag and download and assign the applicable artwork for you if it's missing, which is a large portion of the reason one app wll show while the other will not. That being said, if the title is 'off' from what it's really supposed to be or there's multiple versions of it, it'll assign whatever it feels is the most accurate which can quite often be wrong.
    ubizmo likes this.
    12-28-15 12:56 PM
    I use a PC-based program to edit my mp3s with missing covers or other missing/incorrect info.

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

I'm sure there are other solutions out there, but this is what I use.
    ubizmo and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    12-28-15 01:21 PM
    I use MP3tag on windows to add or change album art. It does a lot more than that, but that is how I discovered it originally.

A website called discogs is really good for downloading album art.

sometimes I have found (and this is interesting) that an mp3 has more than one picture embedded and some players get confused and won't show art at all. I have to remove all the art and then embed the picture I want. MP3tag also let's you save the embedded art as a jpg file.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    ubizmo likes this.
    12-28-15 01:25 PM
    Another vote for Mp3tag for editing info and album art from a PC. For on device editing I can recommend ID3IOT from BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    12-28-15 02:26 PM
    I use a PC-based program to edit my mp3s with missing covers or other missing/incorrect info.

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

I'm sure there are other solutions out there, but this is what I use.
    I'm a mobile DJ, and as such, having excellent music organization, including FULL and CORRECT ID3 tags is of paramount importance for me, and I've used MP3tag for close to a decade with excellent results. I use Album Art Downloader to find the best quality album art possible (mostly using FanArt.tv as my preferred source, though occasionally I have to search further with custom Google Image searches), edit as necessary using GIMP (a free graphic editor - similar to Photoshop), and I save 1000x1000 artwork in the album's folder as "folder.jpg" and 512x512 versions of the same artwork inside the individual MP3 files' ID3 tags.

It may take some work, but the results are worth it to me.
    zocster likes this.
    12-28-15 08:54 PM
    I'm a mobile DJ, and as such, having excellent music organization, including FULL and CORRECT ID3 tags is of paramount importance for me, and I've used MP3tag for close to a decade with excellent results. I use Album Art Downloader to find the best quality album art possible (mostly using FanArt.tv as my preferred source, though occasionally I have to search further with custom Google Image searches), edit as necessary using GIMP (a free graphic editor - similar to Photoshop), and I save 1000x1000 artwork in the album's folder as "folder.jpg" and 512x512 versions of the same artwork inside the individual MP3 files' ID3 tags.

Bookmarking..
    12-28-15 09:33 PM

I love reading someone who's as OCD about their music collection as I sometimes get. Some days I spend hours at a time getting tags and art right, normalizing with MP3Gain, and creating m3u playlists.

Nothing drove me crazier going to Windows 7 that Windows Media Player 12 only showing album art the size of a postage stamp. That looks so utterly pathetic on a 24 inch screen that I had to get a different media player.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    12-29-15 06:56 AM
    This has all been incredibly helpful. I keep my music archived on OneDrive. I'll edit tags and art there and re-download as needed. I just never bothered with this stuff before.

Some of the music is my own playing and I can even create an "album" to keep it visually straight.
    12-29-15 09:05 AM
    I use the ID3Tag editor functions built into WinAmp on a Windows PC. It still whips the llama's *** and really nothing replaces it IMHO as a media player/manager on PC. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to art and tagging and it took a significant amount of time to clean up my songs. I just kept telling myself I only had to do it once. (Finally down to a very well curated ~10K essential tracks!)
    12-30-15 11:00 PM