Last night I watched the Google I/O 2016 event.

I understand why Blackberry is / was doomed now.

Blackberry should definitely stay in the hardware game, continue to offer a close stock android device.

Chen did the right thing. Now they need to minimize / cut loses on BB10.
    GadgetTravel, Xeak and Ronindan like this.
    05-19-16 03:31 PM
    All very cool at a glance but in the end I'm not overly impressed. Allo is stupid. Watches are stupid and I won't be writing one letter at a time to answer anyone lol. In my opinion this is all gimmicky other than the virtual part. I don't see why BB10 can't still make a comeback not saying it will but there is nothing wrong with it really. They should keep working with android but I think keeping BB10 in their back pocket is a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    BB_PP, gugomat and saxxman like this.
    05-19-16 05:47 PM
    They didn't show it at I/O but all Android apps are coming to Chromebooks using containerization over the next year running Marshmallow/Android N within ChromeOS with very little having to be done on the dev side. Very cool tech.

Google/Apple/MS are putting so much R/D dollars into their platforms that another 4th company really has no chance to compete.

Last edited by Ment; 05-19-16 at 06:47 PM. Reason: added demo
    GadgetTravel, Xeak and eldricho like this.
    05-19-16 06:03 PM
    I think the biggest reason is they have 4 Billion in cash and trying to get BB10 to where it needs to be would take at least half of this with no guaranty of success.

All very cool at a glance but in the end I'm not overly impressed. Allo is stupid. Watches are stupid and I won't be writing one letter at a time to answer anyone lol. In my opinion this is all gimmicky other than the virtual part. I don't see why BB10 can't still make a comeback not saying it will but there is nothing wrong with it really. They should keep working with android but I think keeping BB10 in their back pocket is a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    05-19-16 06:06 PM
    I think the biggest reason is they have 4 Billion in cash and trying to get BB10 to where it needs to be would take at least half of this with no guaranty of success.
    Agreed but like Amazon focusing on something and doing it well (Alexa) and better than others equals gold for success. Google is spending billions on different ideas like Glass or hangouts which no one I know uses and just not getting it right on so many things. Google creates and kills so many things and wastes money it would make our heads spin. BlackBerry would only need to put their feet forward on making what they have better than the rest (example G-Board great idea by Google that can be implemented on BBM). They have the base just not the funds to do it yet. Hopefully android pans out for them but I think it would be a mistake to kill BB10 is all. I think it can still be done just not at this present time.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 05-19-16 at 06:43 PM.
    05-19-16 06:22 PM
    Google is apparently looking at making SWIFT the language for developing apps so that they would work on iOS and Android. Isn't that kind of the idea JC was trying to convey in congress about having apps for all platforms, not to mention Microsoft was looking at that also. I think if we could level the playing field with apps, all the platforms would have a chance and we could have a choice more so than we do with Only two major players. Hopefully the EU has some success with their attempts with making Google more friendly and perhaps not requiring all apps to use Google Play Services but to have a choice to turn it on if you want added functionality. Here is to hope lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 07:14 PM
    Google is apparently looking at making SWIFT the language for developing apps so that they would work on iOS and Android. Isn't that kind of the idea JC was trying to convey in congress about having apps for all platforms, not to mention Microsoft was looking at that also. I think if we could level the playing field with apps, all the platforms would have a chance and we could have a choice more so than we do with Only two major players. Hopefully the EU has some success with their attempts with making Google more friendly and perhaps not requiring all apps to use Google Play Services but to have a choice to turn it on if you want added functionality. Here is to hope lol.
    Supporting swift on android is nothing like what Chen was suggesting. Android apps written in Swift won't run on iOS, since the Android APIs and frameworks are completely different.

It does make it easier for developers to go back and forth between their iOS apps and Android apps. So that's a good thing. It also gives Google a way forward if they can't settle with Oracle.
    05-19-16 07:54 PM
    Supporting swift on android is nothing like what Chen was suggesting. Android apps written in Swift won't run on iOS, since the Android APIs and frameworks are completely different.

It does make it easier for developers to go back and forth between their iOS apps and Android apps. So that's a good thing. It also gives Google a way forward if they can't settle with Oracle.
    Ah! I C, says the ground hog in spring.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 08:24 PM
    Yeah, I get it... Hooli got it right with their middle out compression algorithm....
    05-20-16 11:34 PM
    There'll be a market for non-Android and non-iOS.

Whoever that is just need to stay focus and execute.

Being the 3rd player in the market doesn't mean it's dead. It's just having a different market position, though BlackBerry really needs to get it right.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-21-16 12:11 PM
    There is nothing worse than stock Android experience.
    PHughes likes this.
    05-21-16 01:00 PM
    There'll be a market for non-Android and non-iOS.

Whoever that is just need to stay focus and execute.

Being the 3rd player in the market doesn't mean it's dead. It's just having a different market position, though BlackBerry really needs to get it right.

But BB isn't the third player, Windows phone is. While not selling a lot, WP has a market share almost 10 times bigger than bb10.
    05-21-16 02:02 PM
    Sure, but that doesn't mean BlackBerry can't work towards being the 3rd player. Microsoft is doing stuff, but it'd be far more challenging to stabilise than BB10 since they have to consider all the varying platforms they have to develop Win10 on.

05-21-16 02:24 PM
    Well.. This might be a bit all over the place, as far as I'm concerned, releasing android phones while keeping BB10 in maintenance mode, was a good decision. That the android phones have failed to get major traction in the market, is also no huge surprise given all the 'BlackBerry is going out of business / getting sold" + "failed past releases of phones (storm)" that's been making the rounds in the media these last few years. So JC is doing the right thing again, by listening to his core customers (enterprise) and making a "$400 phone". (Which probably will cost more than $400 unless you buy it in bulk through shopBlackBerry.) If they are able to get some meaningful sales into that channel, then that combined with the good results they have had with increasing the software business, can be momentum they can leverage to get back into the consumer market.*More and more of my friends are starting to be " over the iPhone, is there something new out there?"

I think it's smart to keep BlackBerry10 around, as who knows what will happen to android in the years to come. There is currently a huge anti trust case between EU and Google, *which might have the result of the Play Store having to be unbundled. If that happens, BlackBerry can update the runtime on BB10 with the Play Store and run android apps as secure as they can, while still having pure android phones in the market. (Or well... I guess they have to rebuild the organization somewhat.)*

I guess there's something to be said about focus, but yeah.. We'll see.*

But it's early days. If AI is the next differentiator in phones, doubling down on their cooperation with Google was the best long term decision they can make. Even Apple might be in trouble if that happens.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-22-16 03:15 AM
    AI would still need some time to take off. It's still early days. When Siri came up, lots of people were amazed. But what's its usability? How many actual users are out there to say it's a significant number? Even Windows 10 is trying to do it.

Just seems that Google had to show something to stay in the field, which is just pure marketing.

BB's assistance is so bad.

Don't forget, if the CEO loves something, and is able to convince the Board, it's a keeper. And Chen loves the BB10 Passport. Question would be, how is he going to manage to keep the organisation profitable and not cutting too much out of the BB10 for the future.

Only time will tell...

05-22-16 03:34 AM
    BlackBerry is keeping BlackBerry 10 in their back pocket, as JC said "if we don't can't secure Android at the same level as BlackBerry 10 in 2 years we need to find a solution for our customer" or something like that.
    Why is BlackBerry Assistant so bad for some? I find it so useful.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-16 05:00 AM
    BlackBerry is keeping BlackBerry 10 in their back pocket, as JC said "if we don't can't secure Android at the same level as BlackBerry 10 in 2 years we need to find a solution for our customer" or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    This is a critical factor. Can BlackBerry secure Android to the same level as BB10? This doesn't mean winning all the same certification, it means convincing the highest security conscious markets. But BlackBerry doesn't control the code base, Google does. And Google has a history of using any open source library that meets their needs without doing a security audit first. There is a myth that open source is more secure because anyone can look at it and report bugs. But all too often that doesn't actually happen. The Android media library was around for 11 years before a white hat found and reported vulnerabilities. Now every month there are new patches. What we don't know is how many vulnerabilities are being found by black hats and weaponized. Does anyone seriously believe that BlackBerry can security audit and fix every library to support every new idea that Google comes up with when Google can't or won't?

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-22-16 08:08 AM
    Can BlackBerry convince the consumers that their BlackBerry Android's security is important for daily usage? Can they see security as an important part of their lives? Or even to convince corporations...

I think that's what Chen is trying to do...

Something must happen to be the enabler that mobile phone security is important.

05-22-16 11:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    It is impossible to secure Android for me since what I want it to be secure from, is Google itself. If I want Android, I have a ton a very good phones to choose from, I don't need Blackberry to build one telling me it is "private," when Google still tracks it. I don't think Chen understands a lot of Blackberry's customers feel this way. Not all obviously, but many.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    05-22-16 03:20 PM
    It's funny when Google has there big event Google I/0 and Apple has theirs. Year after year I see features of BB10 getting ripped off. Makes me think it's BlackBerry's fault why they're where they're at. I mean 1% of marketing wouldn't kill them. If they had all that cash they spent on that stupid superbowl ad to do some meaningful and aggressive marketing they'd be better of. I mean seriously these OS are just pretty. BB10 is so functional. From day 1 we had app permissions, Android introducing that in M, reply to message from the notification? Bb10 had that 2 years ago. apple followed last year and Google putting that in N. So much of Bb10 is so much ahead... with only one achilles heel, apps.

The_Passporter likes this.
    05-22-16 03:41 PM
    Android will survive. Bb10 is dead.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-16 05:38 PM
    I'd say that for all intents and purposes BlackBerry10 is dead. If BlackBerry are re-amp phones with an in-house OS, it'll probably be as QNX.

05-25-16 06:06 AM
    The problem with android in the end is the reliance on java for the design of the base os. Java has terrible memory management and even the power of Google hasn't been able to untangle that giant ball of string. So you will just always need more extreme hardware to handle the inefficiencies that Java will create. Also you will always have issues with your phone running like crap and killing your battery within a year. These are just inherent design flaws in android and no release will fix it because it's baked into the ground level of the OS

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Classic
    05-25-16 06:17 AM
    Don't care about all the hipster/millennial app crap.

Need a phone with a physical keyboard and can do the job.

Got a BlackBerry Q10. Job done.
    05-25-16 11:54 AM