I finally found a brand new, still in the box Z10 to replace the original Z10 I bought on launch.

Ordinarily, I would back up my old device, restore on my new device and be set to go...not so easy this time.

My old Z10 has a motherboard issue (I've been told) that causes the screen to freeze on the Blackberry logo when it reboots. When that happens, I have to pull the battery. The BB usually freezes again; so another battery pull...then maybe it will proceed to my home screen OR it might continue to freeze for the entire day. I never know.

I can't do anything that requires me to restart my old Z10 in order to set up my new one. Unfortunately, when I plug it into BBLink, my Z10 shuts off. So...although I backed up my Z10 regularly, this problem happened suddenly and it has been about 6 weeks now since I have backed it up.

Here are the questions I can think of. I would appreciate a variety of opinions since I know there are always different solutions (For example the easy but expensive way, the teckkie way...). Please keep in mind that I am "moderately" knowledgable, meaning I will need at least a good source for instructions. Also, I have a MacBook and a Samsung tablet.

Things You Might Need To Know:
    • Old Z10: STL100-3; Release 10.2.1.537
    • New Z10: STL100-3: Release 10.2.1
    • I do NOT use the device for work.
    • I do NOT sync my contacts or calendar with anything on my laptop such as outlook or gmail.
    • I AM willing to download apps if they will help me with this process, provided, of course, they do not require me to restart my old Z10.
    • Anything else?

1. What is the best/most accurate way to transfer contacts?
    - I have way too many to add them to the SIM card
    - Taking the SIM card out would require pulling out the battery; therefore, I would not be able to do anything else.

2. What is the best/most accurate way to transfer my calendar?
    - I have a lot of repeating entries as well as yearly events such as birthdays. These were completely messed up when I switched from my Torch to the Z10.
    - This is the ONLY calendar I keep. If I lose it, I am soooo scr**ed.

3. How can I transfer all my passwords?
    - ALL of my passwords are in Password Keeper...Nowhere else.
    - I have hundreds of them... for every website.

4. Can I save the contents of "Remember" to the SD card?
    - I use it all the time. It would take me way too long to copy each note into Evernote. I have a feeling that's what I will have to do...

5. What about my apps?
    - I obtained many apps when they were free on BB World for a short time. If I just login using my BBID on my new Z10, will I be able to download all my apps or will I have to pay for the ones that are no longer free? What about the ones that are no longer available? Or apps on my old Z10 that are not from BB World? Do I have to download them all again?

6. Updating the Blackberry O/S?
    - I won't do the update on my old Z10 since it requires a restart but I will on my new one.
    - When should I install the update? Immediately before I add anything from my old Z10?
    - Can I go directly from the O/S that is on the new Z10 to the current version that my service provider is pushing (Rogers) or do I need to install interim versions?

7. Is there a way to do the equivalent of BB Link wirelessly with the O/S version I have... that will not shut down my old Z10?

8. Is there another way to do everything that BB Link does that will work with my old Z10?

Obviously I left out a lot of items that would be included in a typical "Backup and Restore" (my accounts and BB Settings, for example); however, I will leave it at the above since having that information is already asking a lot and will be a tremendous help to me.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

07-25-15 04:17 PM
    Here's the thing: unless you have a bbb file (a restore file) from your old Z10, there is nothing more you can do. You need to load the OS you want on your new phone, sign in with your BBID and re download all the apps you purchased or got free on BBW.

Then you need to set the phone up from scratch. If you have contacts in google and yahoo and your calendar too then they will populate. Unless you have stored a backup of Password keeper on your SD card, then you will have to rebuild that database too.

Did you use any other backup app like Backup Pro or ContactsX? if you have then install those apps first and retrieve your backups from your SD card. Otherwise....start fresh.

If your old phone will not boot or not stay on, then BB Link cannot read it. Unless your old Z10 is working, you cannot retrieve any information from it. Backups should have been done in a more timely fashion to save you from this heartache. Sorry, but you have lost everything on your old phone and need to just start fresh with the new one. I sincerely hope that you have your email at google and your calendar there too....

you can try device switch in Link, maybe your old phone will stay on long enough to spit out it's contents to the Link software. Device switch is the only way to get your info out to the new phone unless you can make a complete backup.

adding a third party app to the old phone would not require a reboot, however, you would need to make the phone work ;long enough to designate a location SD card most likely, for a backup of contacts and calendar. Try backup pro.

if your phone stays on, backup your phone!!!!!!
    07-26-15 07:25 AM
    OP, for your questions 1, 2 and 4, obtain and install Ultimate Backup from BlackBerry World on your old Z10. Backup your contacts, calendar and remember plus whatever else onto the SD card. You can transfer the SD card to the new Z10, install Ultimate Backup on the new Z10 and do a restore. Ultimate Backup is a pay app.

For your question 3, you can export your Password Keeper entries to your SD card as well. After you've transferred your SD card and installed Password Keeper on the new Z10, you can import the password entries from the export file.

For question 5, you will have to reinstall all your apps.

For question 6, if you're going to reinstall all your apps, I would install the latest OS on the new Z10 first. I would even do a security wipe before installing the new OS. After the new OS is installed, your do the restore from the SD card and reinstall all your apps.

For question 7, I have not used Link enough to answer your question. You can simply connect Link with your Z10 through WiFi to find out.

For question 8, I would use Ultimate Backup for backup and restore. I wouldn't rely on Link. For media synching, the alternative is to use some cloud services, but the data usage could be high if you're not on Wifi.
    I have not used any cloud services for media synch to provide any suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 10:45 PM
    Thank you for your wonderful answer. I was away and am only doing this change-over now. I hope you don't mind, I have a few questions for you.

OP, for your questions 1, 2 and 4, obtain and install Ultimate Backup from BlackBerry World on your old Z10. Backup your contacts, calendar and remember plus whatever else onto the SD card. You can transfer the SD card to the new Z10, install Ultimate Backup on the new Z10 and do a restore. Ultimate Backup is a pay app.
    Turns out I already had Ultimate Backup... It must have been free at some point and I downloaded it so I just had to grab the new version.

Ultimate Backup worked perfected for everything except "Remember" where it appears unable to distinguish between categories. Let me explain: Do you recall that, before Blackberry had the Evernote App, Evernote entries were combined with the Remember App? I still have approximately 15 Evernote Notebooks in my Remember App, along with the regular Remember folder. In the regular folder, I type all my notes to myself. I use it constantly so I may have a hundred entries at any given time. When I used Ultimate Backup, the entire folder was merged and I am unable to distinguish between Notebooks without manually sorting each note. Is that supposed to happen? I could delete the Evernote Notebooks from the Remember App; however, I am concerned that will delete them from Evernote. I am unable to find a way to control the sync function...perhaps it is disabled now that there is an Evernote App for Blackberry?

For question 6, if you're going to reinstall all your apps, I would install the latest OS on the new Z10 first. I would even do a security wipe before installing the new OS. After the new OS is installed, your do the restore from the SD card and reinstall all your apps.
    Brief explanation please on the purpose of a security wipe and how to do it. Would I reinstall the apps immediately after the new OS by logging into Blackberry World and then restore from the SD card (Obviously I would at least need Ultimate Backup installed)?

Also, how do I transfer all my Blackberry settings? For example, my accounts that are already set up with passwords to send and receive messages such as email. What about my BBM? Will Ultimate Backup maintain my BBM contacts and chats "as is" or do I have to "invite" everyone again? I am guessing I have to invite because I will have a new PIN#.

Any other settings I have such as my WiFi passwords for various networks, my ringtones, volumes, vibrations...all of those I will have to enter again, correct?

You can simply connect Link with your Z10 through WiFi to find out.
    I am unable to figure out how to do this. I have read directions and have no idea what I am doing wrong. If you could provide me step-by-step or point me to a good source on how I can connect to Link via WiFi, that would be great.

Thank you again for your help!

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]
    08-10-15 10:22 AM