Hello my fellow CrackBerry members,

I am seeking advice on whether to upgrade to a Z30 from my Z10. I got my Z10 when I was released on Tmo last year March and having an itch to upgrade after keep reading how great the Z30 is and considering there doesn't seem to be a upgrade to the Z10 any time soon, your feedback / advice will be really helpful.

My main concerns about moving to the Z30 from the Z10 are:

1. Screen resolution i.e. less ppi on Z30 vs Z10

Question : Is it that much of a major difference and would I be disappointed?

2. Non - Removable battery. I am so used to swapping out batteries with my Z10 and never have to plug my phone in to charge and thus I enjoy a long phone usage. I stream music ALOT while reading rss feeds for hours in a day and concern I may lose the luxury of never having to plug my phone in while using it.

Question : Will it be such a major inconvenience without having the ability to swap out batteries and having enough charge to enjoy my daily routine?

3. Texture of the back plate on the Z10 vs Z30. I love the grip on the Z10 battery door/back-plate.

Question : How does the grip compare on the Z30 to the Z10?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 05:07 PM
    Hello my fellow CrackBerry members,

I am seeking advice on whether to upgrade to a Z30 from my Z10. I got my Z10 when I was released on Tmo last year March and having an itch to upgrade after keep reading how great the Z30 is and considering there doesn't seem to be a upgrade to the Z10 any time soon, your feedback / advice will be really helpful.

My main concerns about moving to the Z30 from the Z10 are:

1. Screen resolution i.e. less ppi on Z30 vs Z10

Question : Is it that much of a major difference and would I be disappointed?

2. Non - Removable battery. I am so used to swapping out batteries with my Z10 and never have to plug my phone in to charge and thus I enjoy a long phone usage. I stream music ALOT while reading rss feeds for hours in a day and concern I may lose the luxury of never having to plug my phone in while using it.

Question : Will it be such a major inconvenience without having the ability to swap out batteries and having enough charge to enjoy my daily routine?

3. Texture of the back plate on the Z10 vs Z30. I love the grip on the Z10 battery door/back-plate.

Question : How does the grip compare on the Z30 to the Z10?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Posted via CB10
    I was concerned about the screen resolution as well before I switched to my Z30 (from a Z10). However I was pleasantly surprised how well colours showed up on the Z30. I don't think you will see a noticeable difference (at least not after an hour of use).
    I use my phone quite a lot during the day. My mileage seems to last 20 hours. I don't have much juice left after that point but quite honestly I sleep about 6 hours and thus 20+ hour days don't happen too often for me. I plug mine in and it is also my alarm clock. It doesn't see the charger again until bed time. A lot of days doing the math would suggest that my battery would have lasted 25 hours. But I am not that young anymore :-).
    As for the grip- no issues. You will find the glass weave to be as comfortable and as good a grip as the soft feel of (the black Z10). However the only issue I had was accidentally pressing the lock button in my pocket. So I ended up getting a case to prevent the accidental pocket dialing stuff. It adds some bulk but I know my valuable asset is protected.
    I can honestly say that you won't be disappointed. My Wife showed no interest when I got my Z30 (too big of a screen) but now she is envious of my battery life and doesn't see me have the same bugs (that appear to be hardware related).
    Good luck with your choice.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 05:34 PM
    Daylight viewing isn't as good. PPL is acceptable.

To me it would come down to the price, and if you are alright with a device that needs two thumbs to type.
    08-03-14 05:50 PM
    Z30! I made the switch!

Harry
    08-03-14 05:51 PM
    Performance wise : it's pretty good.

While people only notice the 1.7Ghz bump from the Z10's 1.5Ghz Dual Core Processor, the Z30 boasts Quad-Core Graphics by an Adreno 320 as opposed to just the weaker Adreno 225 from the Z10.

If you want benchmarks, try running some games on both phones and you'll see huge difference.

Z30 | Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3253 | Smart PH
    08-03-14 05:56 PM
    Thank you guys. Based on the collective feedback, I've decided to bite the bullet and give it a try...
    08-04-14 11:59 AM
    Performance wise : it's pretty good.

While people only notice the 1.7Ghz bump from the Z10's 1.5Ghz Dual Core Processor, the Z30 boasts Quad-Core Graphics by an Adreno 320 as opposed to just the weaker Adreno 225 from the Z10.

If you want benchmarks, try running some games on both phones and you'll see huge difference.

Games are usually developed for the lowest common denominator. The games I've tried on z10 and z30 are visually identical.
    08-05-14 06:50 AM
    Games are usually developed for the lowest common denominator. The games I've tried on z10 and z30 are visually identical.
    True that, some games that runs optimally on Z10 wouldn't see much difference. But for visually demanding games (mostly AAA Titles like Asphalt, Nova 3, Etc.) You will see a difference regarding fluidity.

I'm now trying up some high-performance Android apps with the Force GPU Rendering turned on to see some difference.

But for everyday use, yes this isn't a factor

08-05-14 08:06 PM
    I like my Z30 more than my previous Z10, except in both cases, the camera and software are not good except in bright sun. In fact, the camera side by side with others is pitiful, almost embarrassing. Focus lag is very long, and light metering is very poor. Otherwise, I find the Z30 battery alone to be worth it. After 5 months, I have never run out, except once when I ran Mireo for an hour.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 09:37 PM
    True that, some games that runs optimally on Z10 wouldn't see much difference. But for visually demanding games (mostly AAA Titles like Asphalt, Nova 3, Etc.) You will see a difference regarding fluidity.

I'm now trying up some high-performance Android apps with the Force GPU Rendering turned on to see some difference.

But for everyday use, yes this isn't a factor

How to turn on the "Force GPU Rendering" and what does it do, can you please explain? Thanks.

Pantless Nation 's very own Rookie of the Year!
    08-06-14 03:55 PM
    Okay so got my Z30 but unfortunately I got a STA 100-2 from amazon and not STA 100-5. #lessonslearned

Really appreciating the feedback. However I did get a chance to play with it before returning it and purchasing a replacement on shop blackberry.

My initial feedback is based on my previous post of concerns are:

1. PPI difference didn't seem to be obvious, except for the fact that the overall display seems dimmer than my Z10.

2. Can't comment on battery as I haven't had it for a day yet.

3. Back case does feel good and I won't see me having a problem and won't miss the Z10 feel

Other observation : The camera def seems worst than my Z10 in low light but I didn't test it by actually taking a picture with flash to see if its that terrible.

Anyhow I'll be getting my new Z30 tomorrow so hopefully all its pros outway the cons as it would suck if I'd have to return it... I'm optimistic that I'll love it like most former Z10 users

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 08:12 PM
    Okay so got my Z30 but unfortunately I got a STA 100-2 from amazon and not STA 100-5. #lessonslearned

Really appreciating the feedback. However I did get a chance to play with it before returning it and purchasing a replacement on shop blackberry.

My initial feedback is based on my previous post of concerns are:

1. PPI difference didn't seem to be obvious, except for the fact that the overall display seems dimmer than my Z10.

2. Can't comment on battery as I haven't had it for a day yet.

3. Back case does feel good and I won't see me having a problem and won't miss the Z10 feel

Other observation : The camera def seems worst than my Z10 in low light but I didn't test it by actually taking a picture with flash to see if its that terrible.

Anyhow I'll be getting my new Z30 tomorrow so hopefully all its pros outway the cons as it would suck if I'd have to return it... I'm optimistic that I'll love it like most former Z10 users

Posted via CB10
    Happy for you. Remember to Update to the latest 10.2.1

Pantless Nation 's very own Rookie of the Year!
    08-06-14 08:57 PM
    Go with the 30!
    08-06-14 09:25 PM