01-13-17 11:55 AM
116 1234 ...
tools
    I know it's hard for all of us in here to admit the reality, because we are all blinded by our love to BB10. But, the situation has become worst. The apps and the run time has all started crippling. In a few months, everything would go down the lane. BB10 has become another legacy OS. BBOS and BB10 are on the same boat. The browsing experience on BB10 hasn't improved at all, at least that's how I see with the claimed 10.3.3 updates. Both BBOS and BB10 are just good enough for the basics. Calls, Sms, texts, emails. No support from app developers and delayed updates from the parent company. The ecosystem is so dead, all the apps I see in the store dates back to the stone age,lol. Customising icons or giving a fresh look to the device is a distant reality. The glory days of BB10 are over. I have admitted the harsh reality and hence anytime soon I would also have to make the choice and migrate to another OS and it's ecosystem. Soon, most of ya all would do the same. But, let's face it, expecting more to come from the OS is something we all shouldn't be doing. Hence, this post :-)

Posted via CB10
    2015 called and left a message for you.
    01-08-17 04:19 PM
    While I can admit that app and developer support is nowhere near as good as that of say, iOS or Android, my apps and browsers are thankfully still working just fine. Even my APKs work reasonable well. How long will that last? Only time will, but depending on how you treat your phone, and what types of apps you have on it, your mileage will vary greatly.
    01-08-17 05:03 PM
    Hmmm,
    Well my BBOS device still works fine. Even has wi-fi calling. It's my backup when traveling.

As for my BB10 devices (Z30, Classic and PPSE), all my needs are fulfilled.
    Then again, I don't need any android applications for work and I don't need any social networks to get through my day.

Chris - Posted from my PP SE on CB10
    01-08-17 05:11 PM
    I know it's hard for all of us in hereme to admit the reality, because we are allI am blinded by ourmy love to BB10. But, the situation has become worse. The apps and the run time has all started crippling. In a few months, everything would go down the lane. BB10 has become another legacy OS. BBOS and BB10 are on the same boat. The browsing experience on BB10 hasn't improved at all, at least that's how I see with the claimed 10.3.3 updates. Both BBOS and BB10 are just good enough for the basics. Calls, Sms, texts, emails. No support from app developers and delayed updates from the parent company. The ecosystem is so dead, all the apps I see in the store dates back to the stone age,lol. Customising icons or giving a fresh look to the device is a distant reality. The glory days of BB10 are over. I have admitted the harsh reality and hence anytime soon I would also have to make the choice and migrate to another OS and it's ecosystem. Soon, most of ya all would do the same. But, let's face it, expecting more to come from the OS is something we all shouldn't be doing. Hence, this post :-)

Posted via CB10
    So here is my reallity

1. I have used, and continue to use BlackBerry devices because I value privacy and security above other concerns.
    2. If I want to play with apps and games I have an iPad with no important data on it. Even so, the number of apps I use on that are very small, the number that I use and can't get on BB10 are not worth changing my phone (more on this later).
    3. Maybe I'm in the tiny minority, but for me a phone is a tool that I use for communications. I don't want to have to relearn which icon does what. I'm all for UI updates that actually make the product bettern in some tangible way; but just to look different, no thank you.
    4. When I buy a new item -- regardles of what it is: car, phone, computer, airplane, house -- I do so because the benifits out weigh the costs. In the case of a smart phone the cost includes the value of the data I'm expected to turn over in order to get the service.

I am not continuing to use my BB10 phone because I expect BlackBerry to come out with a new BB10 phone, or to update the OS 12 times a year. I continue to use it because it is the best and most cost efficient solution for me today. If that changes tomorrow, then I will buy a new phone tomorrow. If BlackBerry produces another BB10 phone in the future I may, or may not, buy that phone. It will depend on how much it costs and how much increased benefit it represents. The same decision process that I would go through before I buy an Android, iOS or Windows phone. You can speculate all you want on when "everything would go down the lane." But that is just your speculation based on your point of view. Everyone is entitled to their own decision when the apps they need no longer perform adequately. "No support from app developers" is a very broad statement. No or poor support from app developers you consider important would be more accurate.

I really resent the continued implications from other Crackberry users that because I continue to use a BB10 device I can not admit the reality of the situation, am somehow deluding myself. It is one of the things that is making Crackberry a less enjoyable place to visit day by day.
    01-08-17 05:29 PM
    What's the deal with people on here trying to get others to jump on the bandwagon of dissing or being upset about the demise of BB10?

Everyone will deal with it on their own terms. Some of us are happy with the current functionality of the OS, some are not, and all the range in between.

If you're unhappy about it and just want to vent, fine, but trying to spell out the doom and gloom for the rest of us is nonproductive.

Richard
    01-08-17 06:30 PM
    That is your opinion, others also have opinions which are different. Wait a little longer like annoncements at Mobile World Congress at end of February and then verify if you maintain your present opinion.
    Chen also said he wouldn't make an Android device unless he could make it as secure as BB10 either. How'd that turn out?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-08-17 07:05 PM
    2015 called and left a message for you.
    As always I was in the denial stage. The various other blackberry blogs gave me as well as many others hope to stay with BB10. '2017' and still the situation has not yet improved, it's just dragging. At the moment, I am out of the denial stage and hence the inner peace :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 07:19 PM
    Chen also said he wouldn't make an Android device unless he could make it as secure as BB10 either. How'd that turn out?
    Exactly Blaze, I don't still understand why a bunch of users in here feel BB10 is more secure than Blackdroid/Droidberry. Things have changed a lot since the inception of android Blackberry's. The Dtek's and Priv have much better apps that alert us wrt security flaws in the device. I believe, most of them are just freaking out when they hear the word 'GOOGLE'. As though android is all about breaching your privacy and security, which is just plain nonsense. The Google playstore has a lot of malwares / spywares, agreed. But, that doesn't mean the ecosystem is substandard or lacks any sort of security. I feel the situation is all blown out of proportion.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 07:37 PM
    Exactly Blaze, I don't still understand why a bunch of users in here feel BB10 is more secure than Blackdroid/Droidberry. Things have changed a lot since the inception of android Blackberry's. The Dtek's and Priv have much better apps that alert us wrt security flaws in the device. I believe, most of them are just freaking out when they hear the word 'GOOGLE'. As though android is all about breaching your privacy and security, which is just plain nonsense. The Google playstore has a lot of malwares / spywares, agreed. But, that doesn't mean the ecosystem is substandard or lacks any sort of security. I feel the situation is all blown out of proportion.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure you grasped the essence of Bla1ze's comment...
    01-08-17 08:09 PM
    I'm not certain what needs to be admitted to.

I think everyone, save the handful of the delusional, are well aware that BB10 is not going anywhere and no new devices will come.

But, like always, you use what continues to work for you until it doesn't.
    01-08-17 08:17 PM
    Also as a side note, BlackBerry has gone forward to even mention that Blackberry Link is not officially supported on macOS Sierra or Windows10. Now, what does that mean? Let us assume that you use BB10 for the communication aspect and that you have all your important contacts, emails,text messages and company documents in your BB10 device; what if your device shows signs of failing and a requirement for an emergency backup? Especially in the situation where you rely on the latest desktop OS ( Windows/Mac ). It would be a horrendous situation if the Link software would show issues all of a sudden and stop working. Please do not think that I am going overboard with the topic, it is a situation that you, me or anyone else could face in the near future. I am just shedding some light for the uninformed.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 08:21 PM
    Also as a side note, BlackBerry has gone forward to even mention that Blackberry Link is not officially supported on macOS Sierra or Windows10. Now, what does that mean? Let us assume that you use BB10 for the communication aspect and that you have all your important contacts, emails,text messages and company documents in your BB10 device; what if your device shows signs of failing and a requirement for an emergency backup? Especially in the situation where you rely on the latest desktop OS ( Windows/Mac ). It would be a horrendous situation if the Link software would show issues all of a sudden and stop working. Please do not think that I am going overboard with the topic, it is a situation that you, me or anyone else could face in the near future. I am just shedding some light for the uninformed.

Posted via CB10
    Are you trying to convince people that BB10 and its tools are no longer being developed?

I don't think anyone will deny that.
    01-08-17 08:25 PM
    Are you trying to convince people that BB10 and its tools are no longer being developed?

I don't think anyone will deny that.
    Yes Conite, that's all what I am trying to do. I love BB10 for what it is and I am not letting it go unless it is 'officially dead'. But, there are a bunch of BB10er's just like me who has high hopes for the system and it's revival. I just wanted to ascertain the facts and let everyone know that the blackberry droids are not something to be considered as inferior. :-)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Farzeen25; 01-09-17 at 12:24 AM.
    01-08-17 08:33 PM
    Please do not think that I am going overboard with the topic...
    Well, alrighty then

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-08-17 11:15 PM
    That was a lot of hot air expended for naught. If our BB10 devices function in a way that works for us today, tomorrow and into the future then they work for us. If your device doesn't do what you want it to for your purposes then find a substandard OS that works for you.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    If that "substandard" OS doesn't need workarounds, patches, and the devices that have it work out-of-the-box, then yeah, absolutely!
    01-08-17 11:25 PM
    So here is my reallity

1. I have used, and continue to use BlackBerry devices because I value privacy and security above other concerns.
    2. If I want to play with apps and games I have an iPad with no important data on it. Even so, the number of apps I use on that are very small, the number that I use and can't get on BB10 are not worth changing my phone (more on this later).
    3. Maybe I'm in the tiny minority, but for me a phone is a tool that I use for communications. I don't want to have to relearn which icon does what. I'm all for UI updates that actually make the product bettern in some tangible way; but just to look different, no thank you.
    4. When I buy a new item -- regardles of what it is: car, phone, computer, airplane, house -- I do so because the benifits out weigh the costs. In the case of a smart phone the cost includes the value of the data I'm expected to turn over in order to get the service.

I am not continuing to use my BB10 phone because I expect BlackBerry to come out with a new BB10 phone, or to update the OS 12 times a year. I continue to use it because it is the best and most cost efficient solution for me today. If that changes tomorrow, then I will buy a new phone tomorrow. If BlackBerry produces another BB10 phone in the future I may, or may not, buy that phone. It will depend on how much it costs and how much increased benefit it represents. The same decision process that I would go through before I buy an Android, iOS or Windows phone. You can speculate all you want on when "everything would go down the lane." But that is just your speculation based on your point of view. Everyone is entitled to their own decision when the apps they need no longer perform adequately. "No support from app developers" is a very broad statement. No or poor support from app developers you consider important would be more accurate.

I really resent the continued implications from other Crackberry users that because I continue to use a BB10 device I can not admit the reality of the situation, am somehow deluding myself. It is one of the things that is making Crackberry a less enjoyable place to visit day by day.
    ^This, every single word!

I would like to share my personal experience with all the "the sky is falling!" people on CB, just to offer a different view on BB10.

1) Document sharing

First of all, I do use cloud services (Amazon, Box, Onedrive...), but I don't use the corresponding desktop clients, because they all break Software Restriction Policies in (and design recommendations for) Windows.

Now, we have an iPad in our household and over the year my wife took a lots of fantastic pictures/videos with it.
    Last month I wanted to copy those files to our desktop pc... but oh, what a hustle!
    A trivial and simple procedure that takes me only a few minutes with a BB10 device (in mass storage mode) took me several hours with the iPad (b/c I had to move everything through iCloud).

In other words:
    iPad is just not really a good fit with my system setup, but I blame Apple for that, b/c BB10 shows how easy AND (!) secure it can be.

2) PlayBook and EOL myths

My home router (German AVM Fritz!Box) received an OS update last year and is now supporting the CISCO 3000 VPN CONCENTRATOR profile of the PlayBook and BB10.
    As a result, my EOL PlayBook is now always connected to my home network, also when I'm traveling (which is opening a lots of new options for entertainment and security).

Despite being EOL, the usability of my PlayBook has significantly increased (and I do regret the iPad purchase now).

As a welcomed side-effect on BB10:
    All BBM videochats between my wife and me seem to be no longer routed through the internet/BB infrastructure, b/c we always stay connected to the same WiFi via VPN (BBM Enterprise support confirmed to me twice that my assumption is correct).

3) Related to system compatibility myths

I am currently testing some pac files on the webserver of a friend of mine (they will be later hosted on a RasberryPi in my home network).

An initial test file in .txt format worked with all common desktop browsers in Windows, but not with BB10.
    Simple solution: We changed the format to .pac (just renaming the file), now the same file works also with BB10.

BlackBerry seems to have a tendency to implement solutions in a very conservative way "by the book".
    Even if something doesn't work with BB10 but with everything else, it's still worth checking if your setup is violating common standards.

I could provide a long list of other issues, but the take-home-message is that I am not off the grid, just doing things differently.

And one last thing:

I am fed up with the IT industry as a whole.

If you build a factory, all important decisions are made by engineers.
    If you build a hospital, all important decisions are made by doctors and professional business administrators.
    If you seek advise about health issues or legal issues, you will typically consult a doctor or a lawyer.
    Decisions are typically made by experienced professionals, not by novices or outsiders.

However:
    If you make a piece of software these days, the main decisions seem to be made by people like hair stylists, make up artists or fashion designers, while professional software engineers and administrators are the last in a chain of command.

To me BlackBerry solutions were always an exception from the rule, compared to the insecure Android jigsaw of 3rd party software or the buggy version upgrades of iOS.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 and vanrickman like this.
    01-09-17 02:15 AM
    They had to patch the Android media server in January 2017.
    As long as a simple MMS can compromise the phone, I wouldn't call it secure at all. Really, it's laughable.

If you have a hole once and patch it quickly, it would give me confidence in your QC.
    If you have a hole almost every month in the same library over almost 2 years after the first discovery... then I would say:
    Sorry, I have seen enough.

But yeah, if you still really need Android, then BlackBerry is your best choice.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 02:39 AM
    Lol people still think bb10 has a future?

Posted via Passport SE
    01-09-17 03:30 AM
    Lol people still think bb10 has a future?

Posted via Passport SE
    For the next 3-5 years, BB10 will remain my best options compared to iOS or Android.
    If that changes, I will switch in a heartbeat.

Posted via CB10
    vanrickman and tjseaman like this.
    01-09-17 03:45 AM
    This is not about blackberry's fall my dear friend, this is about accepting the fact that 'BB10' in particular is getting weaker as the days go by. Even James Nieves of BerryFlow ( Another Popular blackberry fan site, similar to crackberry) had said they have stopped developing for BB10 because of the API limitations and lack of support from BlackBerry. This shows the state of BB10 and it's future. So, with all due respect, all I am asking is to accept the grave reality instead of wishing and hoping that BB10 would rise once again like a phoenix.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you but you are nearly two years late.

BB10 fate was sealed when BlackBerry announced the Priv running Android.

We all know that BlackBerry can't afford to develop two OS, and there was many signs of BB10 being abandoned : no more OS leaks, messages to BB10 devs asking them to develop for Android instead, almost none update to BlackBerry apps...

And I repeat, all of this was discussed to death many times ago in many threads, so I fall to see the point of opening another one.

You could have post this in an existing thread.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 03:51 AM
    Well, they have stopped saying that they will transition BB10 users to BlackBerry powered by Android when they finally have Android as secure as BB10. Does that mean that they have finally realised that without control of the Android OS they can't make it secure? Or were they schooled by the institutions that have always used BlackBerry because it is more secure?

Anyway if the continued regular requirement to patch StageFright -- now the multimedia library -- doesn't convince you how complex securing Open Source software can be if the originators of that software don't bake security in, the evolving MongoDB fiasco should. Sure you can argue that no one should have installed an Internet accessible database without security controls, but this is like Windows XP shipping with a firewall that was off by default. Except we have years more experience with the Internet and exactly how bad an idea it is for products to behave that way. At least IoT light bulbs make the hackers work a little.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2163
    David Tyler and elfabio80 like this.
    01-09-17 03:58 AM
    That was a lot of hot air expended for naught. If our BB10 devices function in a way that works for us today, tomorrow and into the future then they work for us. If your device doesn't do what you want it to for your purposes then find a different OS that works for you.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    Fixed it for you.
    PS a lot of BB fans did and we are not sorry about switching. I hear what the OP is saying. He can see the end is in sight. Tell him to find another phone and be happy. Don't insult us who have moved on to a better phone for our needs by calling the OS we use as "substandard".
    TGR1 and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-09-17 08:10 AM
    Don't insult us who have moved on to a better phone for our needs by calling the OS we use as "substandard".
    Since when did phone or OS choice become something people take so personally? Is it really that huge a part of everyone's ego? It must be, when you see some of the droid-vs-Apple battles, and the sneering that the other camps rain down on BB diehards.

It's not like someone is clowning your choice of religion, sexual preference, or how you dress. It's your phone. Use what you use and who cares what anyone else thinks?

Should I feel insulted that you have slighted my BB10 phone by saying your Android BB is "better" ???

Richard
    FabriciusFab likes this.
    01-09-17 08:19 AM
    The browsing experience on BB10 hasn't improved at all, at least that's how I see with the claimed 10.3.3 updates.
    The Blackberry browser running 10.3 scores 395 points on a HTML5 test. For comparison the iPhone 7 running IOS 10.0 scores 389.. Thats 6 points LOWER. So that puts to rest the BB10 browsers capabilities's being bad.

The apps and the run time has all started crippling. In a few months, everything would go down the lane.
    True, some apps have gone away but I'm still able to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, Linkedin and of course BBM. So all my needs are still being taken care of. Sure, some people need Snapchat and Pokémon Go but for business users. So just need E-mails and instant messaging its still a lovely OS to use.

I have admitted the harsh reality and hence anytime soon I would also have to make the choice and migrate to another OS and it's ecosystem
    Bye

Even though i have a PRIV and use Android, i still come back to my Q5 simply because i love it so much. Obviously my opinion is very different to your and thats OK.
    01-09-17 09:38 AM
    The Blackberry browser running 10.3 scores 395 points on a HTML5 test. For comparison the iPhone 7 running IOS 10.0 scores 389.. Thats 6 points LOWER. So that puts to rest the BB10 browsers capabilities's being bad.
    The HTML5 test is only one metric out of many - and BB10 loses in most of the others.

Chrome on Android scores 520/555
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-09-17 09:43 AM
116 1234 ...