BB10 works for me and I use an inexpensive Android device for apps I need but can't work on BB10. These are all dating apps by the way. So I have my work phone and my sexy phone.

I am not attempted to get Play services running on my BlackBerry.

The fact that they're not further developing BB10 seems to me no reason not to continue using it. I also use Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 even though Microsoft is not further developing either one.

Also, as a moral issue I do not want to use any operating system that is data mining me while I use it. This rules out Android and it rules out Windows 10. (Maybe there are setting to Windows 10 that help stop data mining.)

Posted via CB10
    I feel using a PP & a cheap android, say - a hyve/ moto G4 in India, is the best solution for the BB10 lovers, at this point in time.
    As The Architect in the Matrix series said "...there are levels of survival we are prepared to accept...", so is it with BB10. They are ready to put it in suspended animation, living, but not breathing, till the time comes to take a final call about its future.
    01-11-17 02:43 PM
    I feel using a PP & a cheap android, say - a hyve/ moto G4 in India, is the best solution for the BB10 lovers, at this point in time.
    Ah yes. One device in each pocket - the measure of true productivity.
    01-11-17 03:06 PM
    LMFAO!!!!!!
    lpthomasson and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-11-17 03:12 PM
    Form their point of view - being productive through one pocket & social through the other.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-11-17 03:27 PM
    Form their point of view - being productive through one pocket & social through the other.
    "Why yes, that is a Blackberry in my pocket. But, I am also happy to see you."
    01-11-17 03:51 PM
    I carry more than one knife in my kitchen to be more productive. It's better than a Swiss knife that doesn't do anything very well.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 04:12 PM
    Would that be a form of pocket pool?

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    01-11-17 04:22 PM
    You are correct here. I upgraded my MacBook Air and was stunned to see that I couldn't use bblink anymore and that BlackBerry wasn't planning on doing anything about it. Bad move on their part (when I can do without security updates). I managed to find a computer in the house on which bblink could still work and will use that in case I need to reload the OS for instance. Annoying though I agree.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 04:38 PM
    I still love BB10, but I also don't run many 3rd party apps. If you want a solid, forward-facing app platform, BB10 ain't it. It's a very, very powerful platform for the things it's good at, but it's not a general-purpose smart phone.

We have been told for almost two years now that BB10 development won't be getting any significant investment, so holding on to it when it doesn't meet your needs is not rational.

Also, switching away from a solid platform that meets all your current needs isn't rational, either.

So, if you're happy with BB10, there's no reason to jump ship now, but if you're not happy, there's no reason to expect meaningful change!

Posted via CB10
    Very well put! Absolutely agree.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 07:43 PM
    Is it opposite day or something?
    Kind of, lol. Though BB10 is not one of the mainstream OS, I still love if for what it is. Living on it without anymore expectations is the key to be happy with BB10. In short, BB10 without expectations = Glorified success and BB10 with expectations = Glorified Failure.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 07:53 PM
    BB10 without expectations = Glorified success and BB10 with expectations = Glorified Failure.

Posted via CB10
    Nice epitaph.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-11-17 09:37 PM
    In my view, what has happened to BlackBerry appears to be the result of too much of a keen focus on the quality and productivity of secure communication at the expense of quantity, novelty and variety. Perhaps too much of a high quality, secure technology hasn't been fully appreciated and valued as it should be by the masses to rally greater support. Generally, the majority of consumers seem to be more fascinated by and attracted to the mere novelty, quantity and variety of technology rather than its overall productivity and security. Security is not always a very real priority or necessity for many persons, perhaps only felt rarely when a real threat or breach occurs. Productivity, on the other hand may be relative and more associated with variety, quantity and pleasure rather than with quality or value. Quite often, consumers are willing to accept instant, tangible or real gratification at the expense of a more abstract, occasional security breach. Whilst I am strictly in favor of secure communication technology, I'm also very supportive of it's many novel features and facilities. Despite the fact that nothing is perfect or finite, the quest to explore, experience and enjoy the benefits of this great technology will continue to endure. Nothing is constant except change and quite often the reluctance to adapt to this constant evolution of technology.
    01-11-17 10:17 PM
    Again, BB10 fans are constantly talking down anyone who doesn't share their priorities and perspectives as if they are naive or stupid. Sure, SnapChat and Pokemon Go! are important to a lot of people, but there are also plenty of business and corporate apps and services that don't work, or don't work well, on BB10, not to mention apps that control other things, such as home automation, entertainment controls, etc.

You can pretend all you like that needing these things to work is unimportant, and makes people "sheep" - but it just makes you look petty and out of touch - and mean to boot. BB10 didn't fail because consumers are dumb, or "sheep" who follow the crowd - it failed because BB (meaning Mike Lazaridis) made a long series of bad decisions, misguided priorities, and had way too much hubris, and by the time they woke up and realized they were getting their clocks cleaned by Apple and Google, it was already too late for them to get into the game. And then Mike and BB still waited some more, before finally deciding to start working on the problem right around the time when the war was ending and the victors crowned.

BB10 is a fine OS, but it does nothing that the vast, vast majority of the population consider vital that iOS and Android doesn't do (and, heck, even the niche of people who DO find BB10's features to be vital wasn't nearly big enough to support the platform and make a profit) - and BB10 clearly can't do many things that the others can do. And by being 6 years late to the game, when the war ended around Year 3 or maybe 4, BB10 never had a chance to succeed. That's not consumers' fault, and it isn't the carriers' fault - it's Mike L's fault, and more broadly, BB's fault. BB has even publicly admitted this and taken responsibility for it, so please, stop pretending that the fault lies with "sheeple." You demean yourself when you try to demean them in such a tone-deaf way.
    01-11-17 10:44 PM
    I will be BB10 till the last breath. I am used to having two phones, right pocket for the Priv, left for the Passport. I will be soon getting the Silver Edition just for a little change, because my Passport Black really is still in mint condition. I don't enjoy Android as much as enjoy BB10, however it covers several other needs that unfortunately are not available on my Passport. However, if I was forced to keep only one phone it would be my BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 10:49 PM
    Again, BB10 fans are constantly talking down anyone who doesn't share their priorities and perspectives as if they are naive or stupid. Sure, SnapChat and Pokemon Go! are important to a lot of people, but there are also plenty of business and corporate apps and services that don't work, or don't work well, on BB10, not to mention apps that control other things, such as home automation, entertainment controls, etc.

You can pretend all you like that needing these things to work is unimportant, and makes people "sheep" - but it just makes you look petty and out of touch - and mean to boot. BB10 didn't fail because consumers are dumb, or "sheep" who follow the crowd - it failed because BB (meaning Mike Lazaridis) made a long series of bad decisions, misguided priorities, and had way too much hubris, and by the time they woke up and realized they were getting their clocks cleaned by Apple and Google, it was already too late for them to get into the game. And then Mike and BB still waited some more, before finally deciding to start working on the problem right around the time when the war was ending and the victors crowned.

BB10 is a fine OS, but it does nothing that the vast, vast majority of the population consider vital that iOS and Android doesn't do (and, heck, even the niche of people who DO find BB10's features to be vital wasn't nearly big enough to support the platform and make a profit) - and BB10 clearly can't do many things that the others can do. And by being 6 years late to the game, when the war ended around Year 3 or maybe 4, BB10 never had a chance to succeed. That's not consumers' fault, and it isn't the carriers' fault - it's Mike L's fault, and more broadly, BB's fault. BB has even publicly admitted this and taken responsibility for it, so please, stop pretending that the fault lies with "sheeple." You demean yourself when you try to demean them in such a tone-deaf way.
    So to disagree with you is to shame ourselves?

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-11-17 11:25 PM
    Conite, but what's your problem when people want to use two smartphone? Said that I appreciate your continous support here in CB to the people who are struggling with BlackBerry handsets, I find really childish your continue blaming who are using BB10. Man, what the hell!! Do you work for BlackBerry and promoting Android in BB? Stop blaming the people if they want to use BB10. Are you happy with your Android Smartphones? Cool . . . enjoy, but stop bothering. CB is getting less and less interesting due to some posts like yours and I am sorry to say that.

Nothing personal. Cheers!!
    Last edited by elfabio80; 01-12-17 at 12:00 AM.
    01-11-17 11:47 PM
    Conite, but what's your problem when people want to use two smartphone? Said that I appreciate your continous support here in CB to the people who are struggling with BlackBerry handsets, I find really childish your continue blaming who are using BB10. Man, what the hell!! Do you work for BlackBerry and promoting Android in BB? Stop blaming the people if they want to use BB10. Are you happy with your Android Smartphones? Cool . . . enjoy, but stop bothering. CB is getting less and less interesting due to some posts like yours and I am sorry to say that.

Nothing personal. Cheers!!
    Umm, I couldn't care less what device you or anyone else uses. I've always stated that one should use the device that suits one's needs. I use several devices - BB10 included.

I can also appreciate irony. When people state unequivocally that BB10 is by far more productive than anything else on the planet, and then proceed to say they lug a second device around with them, everywhere they go, to do all the things that BB10 can't, I can't help but wonder.
    01-12-17 12:10 AM
    We humans are never satisfied with what we have!!

 Passport Silver Edition™
    elfabio80 and blackmass like this.
    01-12-17 12:23 AM
    Umm, I couldn't care less what device you or anyone else uses. I've always stated that one should use the device that suits one's needs. I use several devices - BB10 included.

I can also appreciate irony. When people state unequivocally that BB10 is by far more productive than anything else on the planet, and then proceed to say they lug a second device around with them, everywhere they go, to do all the things that BB10 can't, I can't help but wonder.
    I agree that there is nothing wrong with loyal BB10 users having one place in the world to vent our angst and praise what became the best smartphone OS in the world. Let this be our safe space. Conite's help with BB10 should be appreciated nonetheless.
    01-12-17 12:42 AM
    Chen also said he wouldn't make an Android device unless he could make it as secure as BB10 either. How'd that turn out?
    From what I remember he said they will stop developing BB10 only when they will secure Android at the same level so they can offer the same security to their BlackBerry 10 cunsumers. If that will not be possible in 2 years (from the moment he said it), they will have to find a different solution. And that was after launching Priv.
    The fact there are some Android BlackBerry devices doesn't say they secured it at the same level as BlackBerry 10 is.
    And that's why they say "The most secure Android smartphone" and not "the most secure smartphone".

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 12:46 AM
    I know it's hard for all of us in here to admit the reality, because we are all blinded by our love to BB10. But, the situation has become worst. The apps and the run time has all started crippling. In a few months, everything would go down the lane. BB10 has become another legacy OS. BBOS and BB10 are on the same boat. The browsing experience on BB10 hasn't improved at all, at least that's how I see with the claimed 10.3.3 updates. Both BBOS and BB10 are just good enough for the basics. Calls, Sms, texts, emails. No support from app developers and delayed updates from the parent company. The ecosystem is so dead, all the apps I see in the store dates back to the stone age,lol. Customising icons or giving a fresh look to the device is a distant reality. The glory days of BB10 are over. I have admitted the harsh reality and hence anytime soon I would also have to make the choice and migrate to another OS and it's ecosystem. Soon, most of ya all would do the same. But, let's face it, expecting more to come from the OS is something we all shouldn't be doing. Hence, this post :-)

Posted via CB10
    So BlackBerry 10 doesn't cover your needs anymore, ok.
    You want us to admit the same thing? Why? You need some kind of approval?
    What is the point of this thread?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 12:48 AM
    Again, BB10 fans are constantly talking down anyone who doesn't share their priorities and perspectives as if they are naive or stupid [...]

BB10 is a fine OS, but it does nothing that the vast, vast majority of the population consider vital that iOS and Android doesn't do [...]

I think even they BB10 diehards on CB will agree with you that only Mike and Jim are responsible for the situation of the handsets business.

Furthermore, it seems to be CB consensus that the app gap exists for the majority of consumers, though BB10 is out of the box very well equipped.

The only question is: How big is the (potential) minority?

My mother found all apps she needed for her Z30.
    My wife had to sideload two Android apks and is otherwise happy with BB10.

Actually it seems that most regular consumers are using a smartphone primarily for what it does out of the box and install only few apps from the appstore afterwards (though these few apps are typically crucial then)

I have my own theory:
    Many people switched from flip phones straight to Android or iOS and found instantly everything they needed, so they never cared about alternatives like BB10.
    The same is true for people who disliked BBOS and who were happy to switch to iOS or Android... they never looked (back) to BlackBerry.

That would explain why many people never knew about BB10!
    They just didn't feel the necessity to try something else or new.

BTW, I was a very loyal Nokia user for about a decade, but when my company issued me a Torch 9860 I switched to BlackBerry also for private use and never looked back at Nokia and completely ignored all their smartphones.

Some BB10 diehards on CB might should take a look to other platforms, however, I have (spent hours in the appstores of Apple and Google, have bought an iPad, have tested a Samsung with 5.1) and done that exercise and decided to stay with BB10.

I am absolutely sure other consumers and companies are in the same situation, some people stay with BB10 because of reasons.

Interestingly though, Godwin's law doesn't seem to apply on CB

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    01-12-17 03:27 AM
    [...] When people state unequivocally that BB10 is by far more productive than anything else on the planet, and then proceed to say they lug a second device around with them, everywhere they go, to do all the things that BB10 can't, I can't help but wonder.
    Well, in all fairness, most people carry a device for work and a second device for private anyway.
    I was carrying two BB10 devices with me (work/private), but it's so inconvenient for everybody... now it is only one Passport with Balance.
    As a result my employer can see the private calls on the bills, but I don't care.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 05:42 AM
    So BlackBerry 10 doesn't cover your needs anymore, ok.
    You want us to admit the same thing? Why? You need some kind of approval?
    What is the point of this thread?

Posted via CB10
    I never stated that BB10 doesn't cover my needs. Infact, it covers all my needs except for the updated apps such as Linked In, Cisco webex, whatsapp..etc

My point was just to shed light on the fact that BB10 has not received any updates to its tools ( BlackBerry link ) and likely will never, ever receive one. The app ecosystem is falling slowly and has been staying stagnant for a while. The development of the OS has almost ceased except for minor security updates. Despite all these facts, I know many who still believe that BB10 has a future which is yet to come. An unexpected comeback with partnerships that would take back the OS to its glory days. This thread was specifically for those enlightened ones.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 06:54 AM
    Are we saying that BB10 is PRACTICALLY dead?
    01-12-17 10:18 AM
116 ... 2345