Im still rocking my passport SE, tried BlackBerry android but was not impressed.. still the same ol' android but with a blackberry flavour..

everything I need is still working and functioning fine, and in many cases while others phones wont load or connect or what have you.. my reliable BlackBerry 10 phone keeps on working just great!

I have a classic sitting in my drawer if heaven forbid my passport stops functioning for some reason.

I've felt the squeeze to move on many times already, but when it comes to the core functions I still choose bb10 every single time

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-09-17 10:41 AM

True, some apps have gone away but I'm still able to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, Linkedin and of course BBM. So all my needs are still being taken care of. Sure, some people need Snapchat and Pokémon Go but for business users. So just need E-mails and instant messaging its still a lovely OS to use.

Snapchat and Pokemon go? Seriously? I don't find any reason to make mockery of OS's that have better application ecosystem. And it's not my fault if business users are an outdated bunch of men that rely on age old emails, text messages and calls. Linkedin for BB10 is just another piece of joke. An enterprise class OS like BB10, does not even have support wrt their user base. I.e limited and unsupported apps such as Linked in, Cisco WebEx....etc

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Farzeen25; 01-09-17 at 11:05 AM.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-09-17 10:46 AM
    Lol people still think bb10 has a future?

Posted via Passport SE
    I gave up trying to predict the future a long time ago. BB10 has a present, which is where I'm using it.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2163
    01-09-17 10:53 AM
    I gave up trying to predict the future a long time ago. BB10 has a present, which is where I'm using it.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2163
    That's how everyone should think about it but alas..

As I've said multiple times, use BlackBerry 10 for what it is now. Not what it can be in the future or could have been. It's still a solid OS for those who know what it's about.
    RichardHBB and David Tyler like this.
    01-09-17 01:59 PM
    Anyway if the continued regular requirement to patch StageFright -- now the multimedia library -- doesn't convince you how complex securing Open Source software can be if the originators of that software don't bake security in, the evolving MongoDB fiasco should. Sure you can argue that no one should have installed an Internet accessible database without security controls, but this is like Windows XP shipping with a firewall that was off by default. Except we have years more experience with the Internet and exactly how bad an idea it is for products to behave that way. At least IoT light bulbs make the hackers work a little.
    While you aren't wrong about those older versions of MongoDB shipping with stupid defaults (fixed more than 2 years ago), the fact is that tens of thousands of newer MongoDB installs are still listening to all open ports and leaking tons of data - because their admins changed the defaults to make it do so. That's like paying for a really nice deadbolt for the reinforced door of your expensive house - and then leaving on a trip with the door standing open. Anyone walking by can get right in.

Which goes to show that - by far - the biggest threat to security is the end-user - who doesn't want to be bothered by the inconvenience of security measures. Again, I'm not excusing poor design decisions; just pointing out that there are hundreds of ways that an end-user can be compromised - even on BB10 - because they choose to share things or choose to turn off security. You'd probably be astonished by how many people who have their whole lives on their smartphones don't even bother with a PIN to lock the screen...
    01-09-17 03:59 PM
    [QUOTE=Troy Tiscareno;12725350]While you aren't wrong about those older versions of MongoDB shipping with stupid defaults (fixed more than 2 years ago), the fact is that tens of thousands of newer MongoDB installs are still listening to all open ports and leaking tons of data - because their admins changed the defaults to make it do so. That's like paying for a really nice deadbolt for the reinforced door of your expensive house - and then leaving on a trip with the door standing open. Anyone walking by can get right in.

So true, massive ransom ware attack took out 27000 MongoDB servers just a few hours back. https://www.google.co.in/url?q=http:...ngodb-servers/

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 07:01 PM
    That's how everyone should think about it but alas..

As I've said multiple times, use BlackBerry 10 for what it is now. Not what it can be in the future or could have been. It's still a solid OS for those who know what it's about.
    There is one thing, I would like to add: Fake news and rumors.

Neither Apple nor Android OEM ever had to deal with such heavy kind of "out of business soon" or "will become unusable soon" stories.

I am sure *every* BB10 user has made several "I've heard they're out of business (soon)" experiences.

But it seems most people never knew that RIM tried to sell the handsets business (which is BTW not equivalent to "going out of business") and I doubt that regular people are visiting tech forums like CB, but still

- Everybody knows the brand and
    - Everybody "knows" that RIM has pulled out from smartphones many years ago or will pull out "soon" (since 2013).

All that despite all established news media have been reporting regularly on BB10 device releases and that big carriers like Vodafone still have the Classic, Passport and Leap on their website.

So, I truly wonder just how this false information made its way into peoples mind all over the globe (except for Japan, where customer were told by the big carriers that BB10 won't be available in the market) .
    Honestly, I am genuinely interested how that has happened,okay, I see the horribly bad PR (obviously part of the brand), I see negative blogs posts or threads too, but again:
    Most regular people don't visit these websites.
    Why do so many people believe for years that BlackBerry is out of the business (soon).
    Was it all old-fashioned hearsay outside the internet?

Anyway, all this "BB10 dead!" whining would be far less annoying, if the handset business wouldn't have been (partially) destroyed by "next week it'll be definitely dead!"- rumors that we hear for 4 years now.

Heck, they even continued the appstore for the PlayBook although it's EOL for 3 years now.

And recently we are reaching a completely new level of false information, when people start to claim that iOS or Android are safer than BB10 or equally safe.

I personally was open to that idea until mid 2014, when there wasn't much data available in terms of CVEs, malware concepts, exploits etc. etc...keeping also in mind the first release of BB10 was vulnerable to a rooting attack, afaik.
    ... but after 3 years it should be clear now to everybody with a sound mind that BlackBerry delivered on their promise of security (at least compared to the promises we hear from Apple and Google without delivering yet for years now).

No device is offering 100% everything you need or want.
    There is always a compromise required.
    A truly dead platform means that even a compromise isn't possible any more, and that's simply not true for BB10, it's even untrue for the PlayBook.

I have 50 apps on my Passport, no app gap here, moving to other platforms would mean giving up the Hub, the superb VKB/PKB, the way the apps integrate with each other, among many other things.
    In fact to me Android and iOS are dead, certainly NOT secure and at least not my foreseeable future.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-10-17 01:57 AM
    Snapchat and Pokemon go? Seriously? I don't find any reason to make mockery of OS's that have better application ecosystem. And it's not my fault if business users are an outdated bunch of men that rely on age old emails, text messages and calls. Linkedin for BB10 is just another piece of joke. An enterprise class OS like BB10, does not even have support wrt their user base. I.e limited and unsupported apps such as Linked in, Cisco WebEx....etc

Posted via CB10
    Emails, sms and calls are far better for business because they are universal.

Using social networks instead is troublesome because all workers need to have the same apps, and the privacy on thoses networks is laughable.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 02:00 AM
    Emails, sms and calls are far better for business because they are universal.

Using social networks instead is troublesome because all workers need to have the same apps, and the privacy on thoses networks is laughable.

Posted via CB10
    I do agree on your point but you cannot generalize business needs just to emails, texts and calls. There are businesses which rely heavily on social media presence and applications, especially start-ups. The leap was mainly advertised for professionals who were starting out on their new ventures or businesses ( watch the blackberry Leap commercial on youtube ). But, with the capabilities of BB10 I highly doubt it could get things done for the new age businesses that heavily rely on social media and professional networks.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 05:15 AM
    There is one thing, I would like to add: Fake news and rumors.

Neither Apple nor Android OEM ever had to deal with such heavy kind of "out of business soon" or "will become unusable soon" stories.
    Surely you jest?

Apple has been branded 'beleagured' and 'doomed' by the media so often and for so long that it seems the common default setting. Every time there's a minor misstep or setback Apple is doomed. Every mildly promising new phone from every angle was labeled the next iphone killer.
    01-10-17 06:08 AM
    Surely you jest?

Apple has been branded 'beleagured' and 'doomed' by the media so often and for so long that it seems the common default setting. Every time there's a minor misstep or setback Apple is doomed. Every mildly promising new phone from every angle was labeled the next iphone killer.
    My post was surely far too long.

I wrote "All that despite all established news media have been reporting regularly on BB10 device releases...".

I am wondering why so many regular people "know" for years (since 2013) that BlackBerry has given up the handsets business.
    There is false information inside their heads for years and I wonder how it came in...

Again: Media were reporting in BB10 devices like the Z10 or the Passport, you can find these devices on Amazon or websites of big carriers like Vodafone... but still: "BlackBerry?! Uh, are they still around?".

At least that is my personal experience, when I show my BB10 devices to business partners or friends (all over the globe) or when I follow some forum discussions.

You are right about media trashing Apple, but I have never met a single person who believed that Apple is pulling out from handsets.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 07:51 AM
    My post was surely far too long.

I wrote "All that despite all established news media have been reporting regularly on BB10 device releases...".

I am wondering why so many regular people "know" for years (since 2013) that BlackBerry has given up the handsets business.
    There is false information inside their heads for years and I wonder how it came in...

Again: Media were reporting in BB10 devices like the Z10 or the Passport, you can find these devices on Amazon or websites of big carriers like Vodafone... but still: "BlackBerry?! Uh, are they still around?".

At least that is my personal experience, when I show my BB10 devices to business partners or friends (all over the globe) or when I follow some forum discussions.

You are right about media trashing Apple, but I have never met a single person who believed that Apple is pulling out from handsets.

Posted via CB10
    I will tell you how this happened. It's because Blackberry management is so incredibly stupid.

First, before Chen came around they were so stupid that they publicly announced they were trying to sell the company instead of hiring an investment bank to quietly canvass for potential buyers. This must've been the product of sheer panic on the part of the Board of Directors.

Second, after Chen came on board then he had to make it so abundantly clear that he would drop the handset business if it did not work out for the company. I believe he did this because he was scared of the challenge in front of him and wanted to make it clear that he might fail this test but it would not be his fault if he did.

In the following years, Chen kept saying over and over again that Blackberry would be a purely software company and would be abandoning hardware if BlackBerry did not reach a certain threshold of sales. He did this because early on Wall Street wanted to hear that Blackberry would be dropping its smartphone business. The stock would react positively every time Chen would say something about this. Now they no longer care because they stopped listening to him.

But the spectacle of a CEO repeatedly saying that the company would be dropping its core product for which it had been known for decades attracted media and public attention. This became BlackBerry's public persona -- the failed company that is giving up. Add in the fact that Chen spent absolutely zero dollars on trying to rehabilitate the brand using advertising and the end result is this negative perception.

I cannot wait to see if TCL cannot show Chen and his gang how to market a consumer electronic product. I think the odds are against them but they actually have a chance if they try.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-10-17 09:49 AM
    I do agree on your point but you cannot generalize business needs just to emails, texts and calls. There are businesses which rely heavily on social media presence and applications, especially start-ups. The leap was mainly advertised for professionals who were starting out on their new ventures or businesses ( watch the blackberry Leap commercial on youtube ). But, with the capabilities of BB10 I highly doubt it could get things done for the new age businesses that heavily rely on social media and professional networks.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree with you, I am currently working on a new project with some friends, and we use Trello and Slack instead of emails.

But for core business, emails and calls are still primary needs (but not necessary the only ones).

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 10:15 AM
    I know it's hard for all of us in here to admit the reality, because we are all blinded by our love to BB10. But, the situation has become worst. The apps and the run time has all started crippling. In a few months, everything would go down the lane. BB10 has become another legacy OS. BBOS and BB10 are on the same boat. The browsing experience on BB10 hasn't improved at all, at least that's how I see with the claimed 10.3.3 updates. Both BBOS and BB10 are just good enough for the basics. Calls, Sms, texts, emails. No support from app developers and delayed updates from the parent company. The ecosystem is so dead, all the apps I see in the store dates back to the stone age,lol. Customising icons or giving a fresh look to the device is a distant reality. The glory days of BB10 are over. I have admitted the harsh reality and hence anytime soon I would also have to make the choice and migrate to another OS and it's ecosystem. Soon, most of ya all would do the same. But, let's face it, expecting more to come from the OS is something we all shouldn't be doing. Hence, this post :-)

Posted via CB10

BB10 has the potential, unlike BBOS. It's just laziness and lack of care that has consigned BB10 to a slow death.
    01-10-17 10:20 AM
    What glory days did the OS 10 have?

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-10-17 06:22 PM
    What glory days did the OS 10 have?

Posted via CB10
    Glorified failure, of course.
    DiegoV_G likes this.
    01-10-17 10:44 PM
    Glorified failure, of course.
    BB10 is still a glorified success to me. Glorified failuire? Yeah blackdroid maybe :-P

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 03:33 AM
    BB10 is still a glorified success to me. Glorified failuire? Yeah blackdroid maybe :-P

Posted via CB10
    How can you call it a success? It was never a success, not even in the beginning

Posted via Passport SE
    01-11-17 05:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    A billion-dollar losing "glorified success" to the 0.1% marketshare.
    01-11-17 05:52 AM
    I still love BB10, but I also don't run many 3rd party apps. If you want a solid, forward-facing app platform, BB10 ain't it. It's a very, very powerful platform for the things it's good at, but it's not a general-purpose smart phone.

We have been told for almost two years now that BB10 development won't be getting any significant investment, so holding on to it when it doesn't meet your needs is not rational.

Also, switching away from a solid platform that meets all your current needs isn't rational, either.

So, if you're happy with BB10, there's no reason to jump ship now, but if you're not happy, there's no reason to expect meaningful change!

Posted via CB10
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-11-17 08:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    Is it opposite day or something?
    DiegoV_G likes this.
    01-11-17 09:06 AM
    I still love BB10 OS it works so well for me.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-11-17 09:07 AM
    I noticed the browser performs a hell of a lot better in 10.3.3 when the CPU is set to the fixed 1.7 GHz. You have to use escreen for that though. I'm not sure about battery life yet, I'm testing it out now.
    01-11-17 10:17 AM
    Sadly, I really think BlackBerry 10 is now stagnant and near EOL. It has been holding out quite steady and strong but now so severely battered by unpopularity and lack of App support it just limps along in as-is state with no more new options or features to offer. So let's face the reality, either we continue limping along with it for what it's worth or throw the past behind us and jump ship to another more viable OS (Android, Apple IOS or "out through the" Windows 10). Although the initial prospects for BlackBerry 10 seemed quite good the reality has shown a much different picture and it's now looking really grim indeed (end of the road and possibly end of life). At this stage for me, it simply meant getting another device if I wanted to remain relevant and do more than just basic mobile communication ("secure" phone calls and emails). Like most diehards, it was a very difficult decision to make, almost like having to decide on whether to keep or ditch a good and faithful friend for a new but more promising stranger. However, I'm still keeping some faith in BlackBerry to rebound in its new Android venture or other incarnation. So finally, I decided to hold on to my old BlackBerry Classic as backup but obtain a brand new Blackberry Android DTEK50 for the challenging journey ahead. I had been considering the DTEK60 but couldn't justify the cost, US $499 ($269 more than double the cost of the DTEK50). Long live BlackBerry!
    01-11-17 11:30 AM
    BB10 works for me and I use an inexpensive Android device for apps I need but can't work on BB10. These are all dating apps by the way. So I have my work phone and my sexy phone.

I am not attempted to get Play services running on my BlackBerry.

The fact that they're not further developing BB10 seems to me no reason not to continue using it. I also use Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 even though Microsoft is not further developing either one.

Also, as a moral issue I do not want to use any operating system that is data mining me while I use it. This rules out Android and it rules out Windows 10. (Maybe there are setting to Windows 10 that help stop data mining.)

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 01:15 PM
116 12345