I have tried to get someone at BlackBerry to look at this issue since I got my Z10 on March 30th. Unfortunately, not only can I not find the right person to talk to at BlackBerry, every tech support person I spoke to doesn't seem to know that Name Display caller ID service is available on some wireless carriers and has been available on Rogers and Fido (Canadian wireless carriers) since 2006.

I have Name Display service with Rogers in addition to Number Display service. As a result, when someone calls me (and they are NOT in my contact list), I see the name and number of the caller.

On the Z10, I cannot simply add the caller to my contact list and have BOTH the name and number added to my contact list automatically.

On the iPhone 4S (a device I never intended to own), it works automatically and as expected. I really don't want to be forced to sell my Z10 so I can buy an iPhone.

I spoke at length with a Rogers Technical Support agent and I called him on both his iPhone 4S and Z10 (i.e. both devices have Name Display and Number Display caller ID service). He verified that the iPhone 4S does copy the name and number from the caller list to the contact list automatically while the Z10 does not.

I really hope that BlackBerry becomes aware of this issue and fixes it but I don't know how to bring this to their attention. I'm trying to get Rogers to submit a ticket to BlackBerry about this problem but they say that they can't go back to BlackBerry and tell them about it because it's not available in the BB10 OS. They can only send in tickets for issues in the current OS not features missing in the current OS that should be put into the next update.

So, in a nutshell, there is a feature or function that Rogers has verified is available on the iPhone 4S which is missing on the Z10 that deals specifically with a service that only Rogers and Fido offer in Canada BUT Rogers has no way to tell BlackBerry about it.

If anyone from BlackBerry reads this post, please bring it to the attention of someone at BlackBerry who can look at it and hopefully fix it.

Thanks,

Marc
    05-09-13 11:32 AM
    once a phone call received you can add it to your phone book by long press on the number and from the right it gives you a choice to add that phone number to a already name in the book or add new
    05-09-13 11:39 AM
    I want to add the name AND the number to my contact list, not just the number. When I choose "add new" it makes me type in the caller's name instead of just copying it from the caller list where it clearly shows both the name and number (i.e. the reason I pay for Name Display service). iPhone 4S does it properly while the Z10 does not.

Marc
    05-09-13 11:59 AM
    How about don't pay for "Name Display" and save some cash every month.... then just type in the person's name? Is it really THAT big a deal? I just see your problem as a way Rogers is getting more money out of you!
    05-09-13 01:48 PM
    do you have someone in your phone app that has not been copied in phone book?

if yes phone App>long press on number or name>on right side there is some choices>tap on info>then new window open letting you know who called with (name I believe and phone number) at the bottom it says call, text and add...try that way to see if it works
    05-09-13 02:00 PM
    @kyleheney... Yes it really is THAT big a deal... for me. I paid for the service for a reason and I expect that my BlackBerry would be able to use both the name and number for each caller just as standard telephones and some wireless phones have been able to do for years. As for cost, $5/month is worth it for my needs. If you don't receive a large number of calls from new numbers, I suspect that you wouldn't need Name Display.

I receive a large number of calls each day because I provide technical support and many of the calls I receive are from new clients (who are not in my contact list).

I can appreciate that some may not find it useful but I don't understand why you feel the need to belittle my need for a feature that I find very useful and that I expected to see in a BlackBerry product.

@ Alain_A, there is no option to choose to add the name. Once you choose Add, it asks you to type in the contact name.

I hate having to admit that the 4s does it.

Marc
    Kayatoca likes this.
    05-09-13 02:34 PM
    well then you either live with it or return the phone to go with Iphone.

Maybe some day they will add this feature
    05-09-13 04:11 PM
    I can certainly see where this would be a good feature. Never understood why name and number appear on a land line but not a cell phone.

Still, I can see where this feature should be implemented.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 04:25 PM
    This feature has worked on every BlackBerry I have owned and it is missing from the os10...it's going to get fixed eventually. as for those who comment on if the service is of value or ridicule people who need / use the feature you can pound sand...just because it's not of use to you doesn't mean it is not useful to others and it makes light of the fact that a bug exists in the OS

Posted via CB10
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    05-09-13 08:23 PM
    well then you either live with it or return the phone to go with Iphone.

Maybe some day they will add this feature
    I shouldn't have to "live with it". I'm frustrated that there is no mechanism available to bring this to the attention of BlackBerry.

Rogers says they can't tell BlackBerry about the issue and BlackBerry says that only Rogers can tell them about the issue. It's an easy thing to implement and with an update coming soon, it would be nice if BlackBerry could be made aware of the issue so they can provide a fix.

I think I'll go try my sim card in a Q10 to see if the fix is already in that version of BB10.

Marc
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    05-10-13 07:34 AM
    I shouldn't have to "live with it". I'm frustrated that there is no mechanism available to bring this to the attention of BlackBerry.

Rogers says they can't tell BlackBerry about the issue and BlackBerry says that only Rogers can tell them about the issue. It's an easy thing to implement and with an update coming soon, it would be nice if BlackBerry could be made aware of the issue so they can provide a fix.

I think I'll go try my sim card in a Q10 to see if the fix is already in that version of BB10.

Marc
    Have you posted this issue in BlackBerry's forum. Just wondering. People here that have the same problem as you could go there and add to your thread. BlackBerry would surely take notice if there were a large number of people upset about this missing feature or bug.

Being with Rogers myself, I've noticed a sharp decline in their support for BlackBerry devices that they sell. It is now pretty much nonexistent. Wouldn't hurt to post in the Rogers BlackBerry forums either.

I don't have this problem because when I moved my grandfathered family plan (which included paid for name display) to a newer family plan, I didn't get name display back.

IMHO you have every right to be upset and if it was me I'd discuss this with Rogers customer relations - perhaps they might credit you on the name display cost and for the inconvenience.

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    05-10-13 09:28 AM
    Have you posted this issue in BlackBerry's forum. Just wondering. People here that have the same problem as you could go there and add to your thread. BlackBerry would surely take notice if there were a large number of people upset about this missing feature or bug.

Being with Rogers myself, I've noticed a sharp decline in their support for BlackBerry devices that they sell. It is now pretty much nonexistent. Wouldn't hurt to post in the Rogers BlackBerry forums either.

I don't have this problem because when I moved my grandfathered family plan (which included paid for name display) to a newer family plan, I didn't get name display back.

IMHO you have every right to be upset and if it was me I'd discuss this with Rogers customer relations - perhaps they might credit you on the name display cost and for the inconvenience.

10 people have replied to this thread, with only the OP needing the feature. So, I'm sure this would go to the very bottom of the priority list. If, they added very 'one off' feature people wanted...........
    05-10-13 09:35 AM
    Yes I posted the same topic on the BlackBerry forum at the same time that I posted this here.

As someone else posted, this functionality has been available on the previous BlackBerry phones. I'll try the Q10 to see if it has already been fixed.

Admittedly Name Display is available on very few wireless carriers but the functionality has been available on BlackBerry devices before BB10 and on competitors' devices.
    05-10-13 09:47 AM
    I'm sure BlackBerry doesn't need to be made aware. If it was a feature in the old OS I'm sure they are taking steps to add it. Who knows where it stands on the priority list though. If you really want to get a final answer, call BlackBerry and pay for per incident support. They will work with you and see if it is something that can be added or at least let you know if it is in the works.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    05-10-13 10:38 AM
    I tried the Q10 with my sim card and it has the same issue. I guess a fix in the BB 10.1 update is not in the cards for the Z10 because the problem exists in the BB 10.1 OS on the Q10.

BlackBerry told me to get Rogers to contact them about the missing functionality. I suspect that it was to avoid the $49 per incident support charge.

I asked CrackBerry to reach out to BlackBerry for me since they have contacts within BlackBerry but I never received a reply.

I'll try other ways to reach someone within BlackBerry. They have an office here in Ottawa so maybe I'll take a drive out there.
    05-10-13 03:22 PM
    Might be a dumb question but Have you tried their twitter accounts?

05-10-13 03:58 PM
    I noticed their @BlackBerryHelp Twitter feed but I don't have a Twitter account nor do I have a Facebook account. Those are the two accounts I have been trying to avoid getting.

Hopefully I'll be able to reach someone at BlackBerry through other channels.

Thanks for the advice.

Marc
    05-10-13 04:14 PM
    5 bucks a month for caller ID?? just stupid. i work in the tech field and get tons of calls. i just add them to my contacts since they will probably only call from 1 or 2 numbers. and if you client base is growing at a pace that you cant even keep contacts straight i feel sorry for your customer base. dont act like that is hard.. remember when you didnt even have a cell phone that could store more the 100 numbers?
    05-10-13 04:22 PM
    Not to belittle you, but are you getting absolutely inundated with calls that you can't take 2-3 seconds to type out the name? I fail to see what the problem is here. So what if you can't copy both the name and number at the same time. Copy the number, type the name. You're literally out a few seconds at the absolute most, right?

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 04:51 PM
    I don't understand why some of you are so against the phone being able to do something that the previous versions used to be able to do. Can I do it manually? Sure. I don't want to which is why I got the Name Display service from Rogers.

It's not the 2-3 seconds or the ease or difficulty of typing it myself. I had number display with my previous provider (using a BlackBerry 9900) and I absolutely hated having to type the name for all of my contacts. Not all names are Jones or Smith. I am fine with $5 per month for Name Display and Visual Voice Mail Plus where I can read the converted voice message or listen to an audio file without having to go into my voice mail.

The point is, I waited until the Z10 came out to move to Rogers for their Name Display service and features (including Rogers One Number, Enhanced Voice Mail Plus, etc.) and I discovered that my phone can't do what it should be able to do right out of the box.

I wouldn't even have to mention anything on this forum if BlackBerry would simply find out why my new phone can't do what my old BlackBerry could do. Instead I talk to certain BlackBerry support agents who try to tell me that Name Display is not supported by wireless carriers.

I (i.e. me, myself and I) find Name Display useful and I pay $5 per month for it and other features as part of a value pack. I would not pay more than $5 for it and I would prefer it if it were free.

I always enjoyed reading CrackBerry.com but I'm not liking the forums quite as much. It might be just me but if someone asks a question and I can help him or her, I try. If I can't help them, I move on to another post. I appreciate the help that some have offered.

If you don't think the feature (that I'd like to see fixed) is important, why bother posting a reply?

Marc
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    05-10-13 05:47 PM
    The feature you are asking for is not a standard across all carriers. Call BlackBerry directly, pay for support, and explain to them how it should work based on 9900. I'm sure they will add it to the feature request list. I doubt anyone here will be able to answer this for you or get a message to the right people. Everything has a process and calling blackberry directly is the most efficient route.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 03:13 AM
    I think you misunderstood the issue. The Name Display works and the name shows up in the caller list as it should. The issue is that the name isn't automatically copied to the contact list when you add the caller to the contact list. Just the number is copied over and you have to type the name of the caller even though it's already in the caller list and should have been copied over automatically.

It's a BB10 OS issue because the Q10 has the same issue.

I don't expect anyone here to answer the question but I had hoped that someone from BlackBerry would see this here or on supportforums.blackberry.com and provided some feedback on whether this is something that was supposed to be fixed just as other features that used to exist on previous versions of the BlackBerry will need to be implemented on the new BB10 based phones.

Thank you for your reply.

Marc
    05-11-13 09:10 AM
    No worries, dude, just chill out. First, this is the Internet. People will post in a thread regardless if it's relevant or not. It doesn't matter what forum it is. That's just the Internet. Second, you seem to have put yourself in a really unique position that not everyone can appreciate. Indeed, some appear to have no idea what you are even taking about. It's not that you can't type names, it's that you don't want to because you don't think you should have to because you didn't have to before. Just to play devil's advocate here, you sound kind of entitled, and some may interpret that as whining. New phones are released all the time (as are operating systems, software, cars, TVs, etc...), and not every one has the features of the one that came before. That's just technology. Fortunately, updates are also released all the time, so maybe this just requires your patience.

If this one feature is the most important thing for you, then by all means go to the iPhone 4S. No one will fault you for it, but don't expect everyone to understand your reasons.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 11:08 AM
    OP - are you on a trial period for your Z10 and time crunched to get this resolved? If yes, then maybe you should consider moving to the iphone. At least for now.

As it was a feature before on BlackBerry I would be pretty sure they will bring it back - however if it only exists on 2 carriers in 1 country and a limited number of people from those 2 carriers even use or care about it - i think it may be pretty far down on the must do list.

I'm not sure you can open a ticket on it because it's not a bug - it's a feature request. I'm not sure how tickets work for feature requests. There was a thread somewhere in the forums that listed feature requests - maybe you could add to that one? We do know that BlackBerry at least skims the forums and I'm sure that's a thread they've kept their eye on.

Good luck, with whatever you end up doing.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 11:37 AM
    I appreciate your comments.

I would like to clarify that Name Display and Number Display, as it pertains to showing the name and number of the caller in the caller list, works just fine.

It's just that I expected to be able to tap and long hold the caller, click "add to contact" and have both the name and number show up in the contact list. I did not expect that I'd have to type the name that is already listed in the caller list. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Do I understand that I'll need to be patient? Sure
    Do I understand that it could be added to the BB10 OS in the future? Sure

My frustration comes from the fact that BlackBerry Tech Support tries to tell me that there is no name display available on wireless carriers when that part actually works on the phone already.

My frustration equally comes from the fact that I can't get anyone from BlackBerry to acknowledge that the option to copy the caller's name from the caller list to the contact list automatically is missing when it's been available on previous versions of BlackBerry phones.

Neither Rogers nor BlackBerry seem to have a mechanism by which the missing functionality can be placed on a list or communicated to the appropriate department within BlackBerry for consideration to be added to the OS.

I don't expect CrackBerry users to be able to give me answers to my question. I had hoped that a BlackBerry employee could read my post and reply with something that would let me know that BlackBerry is aware of the missing functionality and that it is planning to put it in a future update.

iPhone is not an option for me because I just don't like their products.

Thanks again for the comments.

Marc
    John Pawling likes this.
    05-11-13 02:00 PM
36 12