I like active frames a lot, it's a perfect way to demonstrate true multitasking on a mobile OS. These are some tweaks I'd like to see implemented, tell me what you think.

1. I'd like to push and hold on an active frame to take me to the content that the frame is currently displaying. For example, in Blaq, if the frame shows a certain tweet, push and hold will take me to that tweet.

2. Pin active frame.

3. Push and hold two active frames at one to run two apps side by side. Only works in landscape on Z10 and Z30 and will work fine and Passport it's a no-brainer.

4. Actionable items in Active Frame. Can start/stop a timer, play/pause music etc with a single tap.

5. Gesture: Swipe up and to the left to get to the next active app. In the hub would get you the first app, in an app it would get you the last app you were just in.
    08-03-14 08:08 PM
    1. I'd like to push and hold on an active frame to take me to the content that the frame is currently displaying. For example, in Blaq, if the frame shows a certain tweet, push and hold will take me to that tweet.

Ehh, too complicated... Others may disagree but I don't think this one adds much value.

2. Pin active frame.

Amen. You, me and Kevin have asked for this though I gotta point out that in 10.3, Active Frames behave a bit differently. The first app open will ALWAYS be the top app. They no longer get pushed down as you open stuff, so they are kinda pinned. And if you want, say, the third app to be on the top spot, press and hold then move it there. Kinda solve, no?

3. Push and hold two active frames at one to run two apps side by side. Only works in landscape on Z10 and Z30 and will work fine and Passport it's a no-brainer.

I like it, but BB10 does not support landscape on the home screen and I doubt it ever will. How will the OS know when to active the feature as you propose? I say, hold two frames and it automatically goes to "dual mode", which defaults to landscape.

4. Actionable items in Active Frame. Can start/stop a timer, play/pause music etc with a single tap.

Right, how do you stop the app from "maximizing"? And if you want to maximize, how to do prevent from tapping "active actions"? Too complicated, if you ask me, with little practical value.

5. Gesture: Swipe up and to the left to get to the next active app. In the hub would get you the first app, in an app it would get you the last app you were just in.

Hmmm, why not simply swipe up and see the apps? 10.3, like I said keeps the apps in order so 1st will always be 1st and so on. Swipe up once and hit the "next app".
    Keep them coming! The more we brainstorm BB10 (heh, I stole it from you Kevin) the better a OS we'll get!
    08-04-14 12:06 AM
    1. I've had too many times where Blaq or Alien Flow shows me something that I want to read but when I click the app the article I wanted to read in my active frame is now lost and I can't find it in the feed. Tap and hold for 3 seconds and Blaq should bring up that article. First world problem? Perhaps.

2. I think that will work. I saw in the Passport screenshots that some active frames were smaller but I didn't read anything about it on CB. I'll have to try it out when I pick up a Passport of my own.

3. Lack of landscape support on my Z10 is upsetting, especially considering the placement of the USB/HDMI port. Perfect for that vaporware dock that was supposed to be available. Nevertheless, having two active frames in landscape seems perfectly reasonable to me with 4 vertical pages.

4. Hmm, maybe double tap to bring up actionable items and single tap just to launch the app? But perhaps you're correct, too convoluted for little practical value. I can see that being an issue with some people.

5. I'd prefer a gesture to get in and out of my hub. It enhances the 'flow' if when I get an email, gesture into the hub (to provide context, not every message can be made with the toast notification), reply, then I'd like a gesture back into what I was doing before, all without entering the home screen.
    08-04-14 01:54 AM
    The 'close' cross needs to be bigger. It's hard to see in sunlight...

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 04:54 PM
    The 'close' cross needs to be bigger. Period. It's hard to see in sunlight...
    Fixed it for you.

3. Lack of landscape support on my Z10 is upsetting, especially considering the placement of the USB/HDMI port. Perfect for that vaporware dock that was supposed to be available. Nevertheless, having two active frames in landscape seems perfectly reasonable to me with 4 vertical pages.

I find it funny that people seem so ticked by this. iPhones don't have this. Windows Phones don't have this. Most Android devices don't have this. It's a phone not a tablet. I can see how a tablet stuck on either landscape/portrait can be nuts, but phones? Seems fine to me, specially considering apps do rotate.
    08-04-14 10:20 PM
    My reason is only to do with mobile computing rather than a phone/tablet. I want bt mouse and keyboard for at home with a dock connecting my z10 to a monitor but it doesn't work as well as I imagined. The placement of the usb and hdmi port is deceiving.

Besides, I don't care is wp or Android or iPhone doesn't have it, doesn't matter one bit.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 10:53 PM
    Actionable/interactable active frames ala android widgets would be super sweet.

But I hope everyone realises that only native apps would be able to take advantage of this.

Differentiate or Die
    08-05-14 12:05 AM
    I think active frames are the most underused feature in the OS. Such great potential but for some reason the programmers just don't care to take advantage of it. Such a waste.

Posted via CB10
    JTon likes this.
    08-05-14 12:14 AM
    I love active frame suggestions. Also there are ton available in icanmakeitbetter.

IMO, what essentially they should do is upgrade active frame in to Active Element. Not all but some.

Active Elements are nothing but pinned frames but with multiple actionable elements. Like you said a music app with next, forward etc. Don't have x mark. To close hold and x pops up to close.Sizes can be changeable. In a news app AE, clicking on a story will lead to directly to that story. Also in this, pressing > button can show next headline. So without opening app, you can scroll through news headlines. A temperature app scrolls through cities or days.

So these elements (<, >, || and others) can be effectively used to navigate info within Active Frame level.

User can use 2 or 3 AE at a time so that OS is not loaded. It will also give choice to users to use AE for their favorite app.

the rest can be Active Frame as present.
    08-05-14 01:50 AM
    But the device auto rotates when on HDMI... I think it's really a pet peeve most users have.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 07:51 AM
    So I accidentally came across this on my passport.
    I'm unsure if it had been noted in the 10.3 leaked forums but you can actually long press an active frame and change it's location on the screen as your would an app icon.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 07:51 AM
    1. I've had too many times where Blaq or Alien Flow shows me something that I want to read but when I click the app the article I wanted to read in my active frame is now lost and I can't find it in the feed. Tap and hold for 3 seconds and Blaq should bring up that article. First world problem? Perhaps.
    Alien flow? That doesn't have an active frame for me...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 08:11 AM
    I would love if there could be less gestures needed to close an app frame. Like swipe diagonal (up and to the right) to minimize, but swipe up and to the left to close altogether. Or swipe the app upwards to minimize, but swipe downwards to close it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 2cats1dog; 10-03-14 at 08:41 AM.
    10-02-14 11:28 PM
    So I accidentally came across this on my passport.
    I'm unsure if it had been noted in the 10.3 leaked forums but you can actually long press an active frame and change it's location on the screen as your would an app icon.

Posted via CB10
    It's a well documented 10.3 feature.
    10-14-14 01:51 PM
    If you look at the Jolla, an app can have up to two swipe gestures on an active frame: for example, on the media player, swipe left is 'pause', swipe right is 'play' (might be vice versa, I forgot), or on the weather app, a swipe in either direction is 'update'. Would be cool to have something similar on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 04:44 PM