03-26-18 11:46 AM
40 12
tools
    Unlike the other threads, I am planning my post-BlackBerry life.

Current plan:
    1. Re-register all my 9930 devices to get service books, turn off Protect, and download all apps for backup to laptop.

2. Download all store apps to my Q10 and Z10s, turn off Protect, and perform full backup so apps can be restored via Link on Windows 7.

3. Take my Nexus 5X and try out the following with the BlackBerry VKB app:
    a. Lineage with F-droid and Yalp
    b. Lineage with microg, F-droid and Yalp
    c. Copperhead OS with F-droid and Yalp

What are you plans? I am looking for a non-Google and Apple life. Sailfish is a non-starter as well as the crowd funded phones and ROMs.
    rayporsche and anon(9697770) like this.
    12-20-17 05:27 PM
    With the BlackBerry Hub+ Suite, its not difficult to minimize reliance on Google. The first step is to set up a Google account with an Alias identity that you use for your Android account and apps from Google Play. The one condition, obviously, is no financial transactions using your Google account, such as on the play store, unless you use a prepaid card. But the point is that it's largely doable so long as you're not shooting for complete anonymity.

Maybe I should write a Blog article on this?

Posted with my trusty Z10
    DrBoomBotz, falbo and glwerry like this.
    12-20-17 05:49 PM

Current plan:
    1. Re-register all my 9930 devices to get service books, turn off Protect, and download all apps for backup to laptop.

2. Download all store apps to my Q10 and Z10s, turn off Protect, and perform full backup so apps can be restored via Link on Windows 7.

What are you plans? I am looking for a non-Google and Apple life. Sailfish is a non-starter as well as the crowd funded phones and ROMs.
    Hi! Never had a BBOS/BB10 device, but last year or so tried out on one of my spare phones how a non Google version of Android would look like (Flashed Cyanogenmod, the predecessor of LineageOS)
    What I need to say that a lot of apps rely on Google Play Services, or other Google services or APIs (for example to work with the GPS) so these will not work with a "plain" Android, no matter what the version is (I am aware that on BB10 the Android emulator/runtime in on 4.3, which in itself causes problems with some apps)
    So either you only run apps which do not need any G service to run (F Droid has quite a number of those) or you get patched version of those Play Store apps you want to use (to run without G services) - if they exist and you can find them from any source you trust
    12-20-17 07:20 PM
    Theres MicroG, too. Probs on F-Droid. Open source replacement for Google Play Services.
    12-30-17 11:20 AM
    With the BlackBerry Hub+ Suite, its not difficult to minimize reliance on Google. The first step is to set up a Google account with an Alias identity that you use for your Android account and apps from Google Play. The one condition, obviously, is no financial transactions using your Google account, such as on the play store, unless you use a prepaid card. But the point is that it's largely doable so long as you're not shooting for complete anonymity.

A blog article on this would be very handy. Could it be made a sticky?
    12-31-17 03:36 AM
    I switched to the PRIV and then KEYone. I pretty much disabled and removed everything from Google (yes, even Google Play Services and Play Store) and BlackBerry and have installed mostly FOSS apps for Facebook (SlimSocial), Youtube (NewPipe), and Twitter (Twidere). I also set up a Firewall and AdBlocker (NetGuard) and run it in whitelist mode with only a handful of apps that are allowed to access the internet. Pretty satisfied but still miss my Classic. It was very pocketable and much more ergonomic.
    ciaoenrico likes this.
    01-01-18 03:36 PM
    Still using Passport until 2019.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    01-01-18 06:24 PM
    Tried the priv for a few weeks and just came back to my red pp. It still does what I need so I will stay with it

Sent from my Passport Red Edition
    01-01-18 06:42 PM

Yea, I did that with outlook, They had a few more security options I liked that.
    Though I probably would have rolled google if their Drive was integrated like OneDrive. Desktops always syncs its too easy to get files back and forth.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 01-05-18 at 05:29 AM.
    01-02-18 09:02 AM

Current plan:

Have you tried the Android forks you mentioned yet? Any thoughts you can share? We're considering Copperhead for our company after BB10?
    02-01-18 04:53 AM
    I am running LineageOS with microG. I have the Nexus 5x rooted so that I can run AdAway, macroDroid etc. I only use microG for Google Maps and Threema. I looked at CopperheadOS but it runs on only a few devices and you are charged $400 to get it on the Pixel devices. Copperhead won't run microG and no root so I passed on it for now.
    02-01-18 06:57 AM
    I'm tired of workarounds to get functions I need to get done done.

I'll be moving to a KeyOne, but probably holding off and keeping my Passport for a while yet.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry and kbz1960 like this.
    02-02-18 08:59 AM
    I'm tired of workarounds to get functions I need to get done done.

I'll be moving to a KeyOne, but probably holding off and keeping my Passport for a while yet.

Posted via CB10
    I bit the bullet about a year ago and went to a PRIV.
    Struggled for a bit but it has been a good experience overall.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-02-18 03:12 PM
    I'm taking a big-picture approach: Google, Apple, and Microsoft are the three dominant powers. Don't want to have to be plugged into more than one matrix. Since I'm already using Windows 10 on the desktop, and since MS appears to be the least worse of the three evils, will try to wait for Windows Andromeda, assuming it is actually released.

(BTW: I respect the major efforts by BlackBerry to make Android respectable, but I cannot respect Google, whose GPlay monopoly, more than anything else, destroyed any chance for BB10. As for the iPhone X, this BB10 imitation is overpriced, too delicate, and I cannot respect the Apple totalitarian state - witness what they did to Telegram.)

Posted via CB10
    02-02-18 04:11 PM
    My plan is to go back to my good ol' Motorola V6 Maxx SE. Seriously. Although I will use one of my old smartphones (probably HP Pre3) as a mobile hotspot.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    02-02-18 05:18 PM
    I am running LineageOS with microG. I have the Nexus 5x rooted so that I can run AdAway, macroDroid etc. I only use microG for Google Maps and Threema. I looked at CopperheadOS but it runs on only a few devices and you are charged $400 to get it on the Pixel devices. Copperhead won't run microG and no root so I passed on it for now.
    What's your opinion on microG? I'm not terribly familiar with it.
    02-03-18 02:56 AM
    Buying a BlackBerry P9982 and a new Passport S E!

Posted via CB10
    02-03-18 09:27 AM
    microG is a set of open source api that replace the proprietary Google services. Apps that use Google services would instead use the microG services. I mainly us it for Google Cloud messaging service so Threema can get instant messages. You can learn more at the website :
    https://microg.org/
    02-03-18 10:15 AM
    I just bought a Sony Xperia X and put Sailfish on it, it works fine.

Android apps work much better than on my Passport.

Gestures are nice too.

But I miss the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-05-18 05:14 AM
    I just bought a Sony Xperia X and put Sailfish on it, it works fine.

Android apps work much better than on my Passport.

Gestures are nice too.

But I miss the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    What level of ART does Sailfish have?
    02-05-18 05:20 AM
    What level of ART does Sailfish have?
    Sailfish uses Alien Dalvik 4.4, but just announced that it will be update later this year.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-18 08:39 AM
    I am surprised at a few of the responses I have seen for a lot of BlackBerry fans.

I have a Passport SE, I love it, I love BlackBerry 10 and it takes care of the vast majority of my needs. I do mostly calls, texts, emails some BBM messaging with friends who still use it and some web surfing and some very minor apps like news and sports.

I have had a total of 8 apps I use on a regular basis that have stopped working and lately I have an issue with receiving email money transfers from my Canadian bank, it's a known issue with the BB10. The workaround USED to be to use the mobile version of the site but now I am getting error messages saying my browser is out of date.

I plan on keeping my Passport probably until the end of the year and than I am hoping but regretting a potential move to BlackBerry Android if and when the new keyboard devices come out. I am not thrilled with Google or Android but one of the reasons is the keyboard. I need and want the keyboard.

It's sad to see the issues plaguing the BlackBerry 10 OS but it was bound to happen. I am happy to continue to use my devices as is for the time, maybe even for a few more years as long as the core functions work but what I am finding is more and more issues with friends and people in my social circle where more things are being done on WhatsApp, my carrier (Freedom) not supporting BlackBerry in any way on their LTE network yet I am paying for it etc.

Hopefully things continue to work, I love the quality, keyboard and the hardware/design of the Passport and I dread when I need to make the change but hopefully the BlackBerry Mobile experience continues to grow and improve!

Posted via CB10
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    02-06-18 04:46 PM
    I bought a Moto Z Play, it's ready with BB Hub in case I want to switch.. (I won't for now xDDDDD)

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-07-18 08:53 PM
    I switched from my Passport in October to a Huawei P10 Plus. But only because my Passport got the "emergency calls only" disease. It's been a good experience using the Android Hub and all the customization and launchers.

But a few weeks ago, something still made me want to keep using BB10 as a daily phone and I got my eyes set on a White Classic. Maybe because they're so rare and because the one feature of BB10 I never experienced was the toolbelt and associated software tweaks. I felt like that was enticing enough to bring me back. Plus I've invested heavily into BB10 apps.

So I'm going to stick with this Classic until the wheels fall off in 2020 and see what happens (if I can make it). It doesn't have as many cool features or apps as my Huawei but it meets my basic needs and then some, so I'm satisfied.

When it becomes no longer usable, I'll move back to Android and embrace the Google god.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-18 10:17 PM
    If Signal starts having problems it might be the final straw; it's already impossible to find other Signal contacts and you need to close it twice. The solution would be a cheap Android Phone, since I hate typing on displays but find sending voice messages a little ridiculous, I'd just use messaging and the phone in general less. The KeyOne seems poorly made and expensive, from a company that doesn't stand behind its products. The mobile phone plateau has arrived.
    zer0ten likes this.
    02-08-18 12:36 PM
40 12