08-03-13 10:15 PM
    What OS has a one gesture/button close option? iOS doesn't. Android doesn't.

Windows Phone?

I'm not even certain it's a good idea. A one-gesture close means there is enormous potential to accidentally close an app, possibly before work is saved.

Posted via CB10
    Windows 8/RT has this. Works well too.

Sent from my GS II Skyrocket using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-03-13 11:03 PM
    Windows 8/RT has this. Works well too.

Sent from my GS II Skyrocket using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Agreed.

Could be a two motion swipe.

I.e. Swipe up form bezel to minimize, while finger still down flick right to close.

Like an L shape

Posted via CB from my LE
    08-03-13 11:20 PM
    Or you can leave it on active frame. If it's a non live updating frame, it feel like it uses no processing power or extra energy.

I mean that's why they developed active frames, so you can see where you left off and multi task and go back to it whenever you want. I think every OS I've used is intended to leave the app minimized instead of fully closed. Android, iOS, BB10.
    It's really a hassle to close apps in Android and iOS7 and I think they're discouraging it. BlackBerry may have one of the easier app closing methods. I don't think they want you to close them.

In short, I think the developers intended and encourage minimizing for multi tasking and optimized the OS to use no extra power to keep them minimized. Unless it's an active frame. Closing it is against their intentions.
    Last edited by Chanlion; 08-04-13 at 12:57 AM.
    08-04-13 12:40 AM
    It is a real issue. Watch videos of people using bb10. They almost always minimize then immediately close apps. Two moves, one intention, inefficient.

Posted via CB10
    The old BBOS is similar. There were some apps you could back key to close. But mostly you had to press the BB key and then select "Close" or "Exit" or "Shut Down" (real consistent). iOS is a lengthy process at least up through ver. 6. Android you hold the home key and swipe stuff away. So there's a couple of steps. Windows Phone I am not sure about.

Not saying it can't be done -- just that it's not something BB lacks in comparison to others.
    08-04-13 12:46 AM
    QNX is very efficient with prioritizing application resources. You don't have to worry about closing an application immediately. You could even have eight apps open and let the system close the oldest running frame and still have decent performance.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 12:48 AM
    QNX is very efficient with prioritizing application resources. You don't have to worry about closing an application immediately. You could even have eight apps open and let the system close the oldest running frame and still have decent performance.

Posted via CB10
    Qnx might be efficient.
    BlackBerry 10, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 03:27 AM
    Qnx might be efficient.
    BlackBerry 10, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    How so exactly? I am on the 10.2 latest leak and efficiency is an understatement actually.

Posted via Z10
    08-04-13 07:42 AM
    How so exactly? I am on the 10.2 latest leak and efficiency is an understatement actually.

Posted via Z10
    I've had my z10 since launch, it was, to begin with very snappy, over time it's become:

* Sluggish
    * Laggy
    * Things take a while (few seconds) to load such as settings, phone dialer, replying to sms etc,
    * Noticeable drop in battery performance
    * Few other things, there are improvements in many other areas too BUT

... I refuse to believe BlackBerry 10 is any more efficient than let's say iOS, forget anything you know about QNX, bb10 is not QNX, see thread on "bb10 is bloatware".

10.2 leak maybe great and as many have said it's a big improvement from 10.1, thus confirming the current public version of BlackBerry 10 is not entirely optimal or entirely efficient, hence the notable changes found in 10.2 that has everyone excited.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 08:26 AM
    Even if dragging your finger to the very top of the screen would close an app, vs halfway to minimize it, I think a lot of people would realize how much quicker the experience would be, and would just close apps most of the time.
    That's actually exactly what I had in mind. To minimize the app, we could use the current gesture. To close an app while it's in full screen mode, just swipe it up to the very top. That's it

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 08:54 AM
    I like the idea of one gesture to close rather than just minimize an app since most apps save your information when they close. Can we at least agree that the PlayBook method of closing minimized apps by swiping up was better than trying to find that little x at the bottom right of the active frame?
    08-04-13 09:23 AM
    What OS has a one gesture/button close option? iOS doesn't. Android doesn't.

Windows Phone?

I'm not even certain it's a good idea. A one-gesture close means there is enormous potential to accidentally close an app, possibly before work is saved.

Posted via CB10
    Coming from Samsung GS3, there was a way to do this on Android. But I was using the Omega ROM which had the option to kill/close an app by pressing and holding the left touch key of the device.

I can understand the need of the original poster who likes to have a 'tidy' device. But I think BB OS10 should handle better opened apps than Android in terms of power and processor efficiency.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 09:47 AM
    I like the idea of one gesture to close rather than just minimize an app since most apps save your information when they close. Can we at least agree that the PlayBook method of closing minimized apps by swiping up was better than trying to find that little x at the bottom right of the active frame?
    I can't agree, as there were a number of times that I accidentally closed apps on the PB because of that gesture.

Swiping up and tapping the X of the first tile IS already a gesture! It is always the same action... as it is always the same tile! lol.

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    08-04-13 02:46 PM
    Does the home button not close an app in ios? I thought it did.

Posted via CB10
    It returns you to the home screen, but does not close apps. They are left in hibernation.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 03:15 PM
    I've had my z10 since launch, it was, to begin with very snappy, over time it's become:

* Sluggish
    * Laggy
    * Things take a while (few seconds) to load such as settings, phone dialer, replying to sms etc,
    * Noticeable drop in battery performance
    * Few other things, there are improvements in many other areas too BUT

... I refuse to believe BlackBerry 10 is any more efficient than let's say iOS, forget anything you know about QNX, bb10 is not QNX, see thread on "bb10 is bloatware".

10.2 leak maybe great and as many have said it's a big improvement from 10.1, thus confirming the current public version of BlackBerry 10 is not entirely optimal or entirely efficient, hence the notable changes found in 10.2 that has everyone excited.

Posted via CB10
    Find me a phone, or any tablet, that doesn't have this after a while. I have had my Z10 since UK launch and I have not noticed any detrimental impact on my phone. Even my Nexus 7 gets sluggish after a while. Hell every smart phone I owned did this after months of constant use and been switched on. Improvements in the OS will come over time.

As for bloatware. Take a look at Samsung or HTC and what they pack into their OS. Compared to those BB10 is lightweight.

I am not making excuses but you have to look at all angles. Other devices aren't perfect rose gardens by any stretch of the imagination. It happens across the board.

As for the ops original post.

I personally don't find anything wrong with the process to close applications. It's no more time consuming than any other device I have used. I can see how it would be a nice option for those that would want it. But for me the current system is perfectly fine.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 03:35 PM
    Not an efficient means to.closeapps when the screen sizes increase from 4.2 inches for.the person with average hand size.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 09:30 PM
    Closing apps now is much less "inefficient" than the time and effort that will be wasted by people gesturing out of an application accidentally.

The Windows comparison ignores the wildly different screen size between a tablet and the Q10 or Q5.

The current process for closing apps is an excellent balance between speed and intention. A two-step process is a good thing.

I close apps all the time and never think of it as slow--on Android, I found it a pain in the ***.

Posted via CB10
    drewread and Richard Buckley like this.
    08-04-13 10:33 PM
    The flashlight free app has an exit button. Just click to exit

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 12:58 AM
43 12