01-11-13 12:04 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    that's amazing news!! ..Will be first in line to buy!! lol
    01-11-13 12:13 AM
    Assuming this is a good source, BB10 will not have any "app support problems!"

BlackBerry <3
    01-11-13 12:20 AM
    We'll see. Hopefully people will focus on what's ON the platform and what's NOT on the platform at launch.
    01-11-13 12:27 AM
    Go to Port To BlackBerry 10 and tweet developers of your favorite apps
    01-11-13 12:09 PM
    BlackBerry is also aiming to release 70,000+ apps on the release of the BlackBerry 10 and they're getting close to that number. Adding the top apps for the iOS and Android on the release will be absolutely amazing.

If they actually reach that number, plus all the apps iOS and Android users are enjoying right now on the release, I cannot see a reason why someone would use a different platform than BB10. Plain and simple. Unless they're really in love with Siri.
    01-11-13 12:25 PM
    thats some amazing newss!! the only thing i get from android and IOS users are the constant crying about apps on blackberry world. my friends all have instagram and i dont even plan on using it when it does come available for blackberry. i only fell in love with the filters but we already know rim is working on a native photo editing app lets go RIM!!!! BlackBerry.By.Choice!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    01-11-13 12:29 PM
    BlackBerry is also aiming to release 70,000+ apps on the release of the BlackBerry 10 and they're getting close to that number. Adding the top apps for the iOS and Android on the release will be absolutely amazing.

If they actually reach that number, plus all the apps iOS and Android users are enjoying right now on the release, I cannot see a reason why someone would use a different platform than BB10. Plain and simple. Unless they're really in love with Siri.
    It's not all about the apps, and I think RIM understands this. To snatch an iOS user for instance, it is reasonable to infer that any new platform must be able to reasonably replicate the user experience of the current one. As Android makers initially found out, it takes more than a slab device. The ecosystem had to mature to really compete with Apple.

Point being that we shouldn't be surprised if folks don't drop what they have and run to BB10 immediately. They'll want to sewer how things happen, and sundry items like ethical procurement of content will be major factors.
    anon(140126) likes this.
    01-11-13 12:37 PM
    thats some amazing newss!! the only thing i get from android and IOS users are the constant crying about apps on blackberry world. my friends all have instagram and i dont even plan on using it when it does come available for blackberry. i only fell in love with the filters but we already know rim is working on a native photo editing app lets go RIM!!!! BlackBerry.By.Choice!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    I agree. My friends and family always tease me about having no apps on my phone and stuff.

RIM will finally fix its major weak point, app support.
    01-11-13 12:38 PM
    It's not all about the apps, and I think RIM understands this. To snatch an iOS user for instance, it is reasonable to infer that any new platform must be able to reasonably replicate the user experience of the current one. As Android makers initially found out, it takes more than a slab device. The ecosystem had to mature to really compete with Apple.

Point being that we shouldn't be surprised if folks don't drop what they have and run to BB10 immediately. They'll want to sewer how things happen, and sundry items like ethical procurement of content will be major factors.
    I completely agree. But one of the biggest things iOS users love about their iPhones is the app support. And that's one of Apple's biggest assets. It's not all about the apps, I understand that, but what does Apple's current iPhone 5 have that the upcoming BB10 will not? The answer is simple, apps. So, to really compete with Apple and Android, they would want those apps that the current iOS and Android users frequently use.
    01-11-13 12:48 PM
    I completely agree. But one of the biggest things iOS users love about their iPhones is the app support. And that's one of Apple's biggest assets. It's not all about the apps, I understand that, but what does Apple's current iPhone 5 have that the upcoming BB10 will not? The answer is simple, apps. So, to really compete with Apple and Android, they would want those apps that the current iOS and Android users frequently use.
    It will be a HUGE help, no doubt, but cut content will be just as important, I think, to pull users from other platforms in. The tough thing is that for a lot of people, "as good as" will not be enough; it will have to be better. Apps + content + accessories will help RIM overcome this.

My suspicion is that app gap has not yet been filled, and is a somewhat unfair metric to measure the success of BB10 by. MS tried throwing money at it, and that didn't work (and I admit being surprised by that).
    01-11-13 01:16 PM
    is there a list of what those 600 'top' apps are suposed to be?
    travaz likes this.
    01-11-13 01:19 PM
    This seems pretty cool. Although, it could be 65% of the top 100%, plus 95% of the next 500 (#200 through 600).

600 * 90% = 540

(100 * 65%) + (500 * 95%) = 65 + 475 = 540

That's still awesome, but if the bulk of the "missing" apps are the more important apps, you know the detractors will point it out and specific "must" apps that are missing could be deal breakers.

Not for me though - I'm getting BB10 for sure. I'm just not sure if I'll somehow get a Z10 at launch or if I'll just need to wait for when my contract allows me to upgrade in June. I have a work BB so that complicates it (no personal phone, since it'd be redundant)
    01-11-13 01:51 PM
    This seems pretty cool. Although, it could be 65% of the top 100%, plus 95% of the next 500 (#200 through 600).

600 * 90% = 540

(100 * 65%) + (500 * 95%) = 65 + 475 = 540

That's still awesome, but if the bulk of the "missing" apps are the more important apps, you know the detractors will point it out and specific "must" apps that are missing could be deal breakers.

Not for me though - I'm getting BB10 for sure. I'm just not sure if I'll somehow get a Z10 at launch or if I'll just need to wait for when my contract allows me to upgrade in June. I have a work BB so that complicates it (no personal phone, since it'd be redundant)
    My fear as well. I'm pretty much locked for a Z10, but I'm not holding my breath for the "top of the top" apps from other platforms.
    01-11-13 02:04 PM
    We'll see. Hopefully people will focus on what's ON the platform and what's NOT on the platform at launch.
    What!? You telling me blank app won't be on BB10? I'll stick with my crummy Android or bland iPhone then! Lol yeah hopefully we don't hear that.
    01-11-13 03:06 PM

Which brings a good question, does the BB10 have a Siri app (I know it's not built in)?
    01-11-13 03:08 PM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    this is amazing news for BB10! ... others will surely follow! .... I will be buying like crazy!!
    01-11-13 03:10 PM
    And the hardware accessories that Apple has. For consumers that matters.
    01-11-13 03:10 PM
    Which brings a good question, does the BB10 have a Siri app (I know it's not built in)?
    How do you know that? Do you have the final GA'd version of the device and software? The QNX Bentley has Siri-like ability baked in. There have been plenty of hints to this functionality being build into the OS too.
    01-11-13 03:11 PM
    hopefully we'll have whatsapp and skype!
    01-11-13 03:12 PM
    How do you know that? Do you have the final GA'd version of the device and software? The QNX Bentley has Siri-like ability baked in. There have been plenty of hints to this functionality being build into the OS too.
    I guess I should have said it's not announced to be in BB10 yet. It's possible it will be, yes sure. If I am wrong, though, and they announced a Siri like feature, then show me a link to where RIM says BB10 has it. Otherwise ... my question is still valid, are there any Voice Assistant's announced for BB10? Similar to Siri or Google Now?
    01-11-13 03:41 PM
    hopefully we'll have whatsapp and skype!
    I believe we will have WhatsApp. I'm not sure about Microsoft/Skype. Are they going to pull a Google and block the app from BB10 just because they can?
    01-11-13 03:42 PM
    I guess I should have said it's not announced to be in BB10 yet. It's possible it will be, yes sure. If I am wrong, though, and they announced a Siri like feature, then show me a link to where RIM says BB10 has it. Otherwise ... my question is still valid, are there any Voice Assistant's announced for BB10? Similar to Siri or Google Now?
    i believe there are some screen caps floating around that feature a microphone like symbol that is used to prompt the voice assistantce in BB10.
    HUNTZODIAC and astraith like this.
    01-11-13 03:46 PM
    Hopefully a good part of that 90% if those from the Top 200, and not so much in the 400-600 area.
    01-11-13 03:58 PM
    Well they Do have a YT video of someone doing the voice recognition by pressing a button on the side of one of the Dev alpha's....so yeah I would say it's pretty valid. Also other 3rd party apps such as SAYIT (new video of his is posted in a thread too)are made for Voice Recognition.
    jakie55 and astraith like this.
    01-11-13 05:47 PM
43 12