Honstely. WhatsApp had PLENTY of options to keep the client alive on older platforms. There was no need to kill it completely. You know, something like a legacy client to keep text and image messages alive. So many options. But you chose the worst option available. KILLING WHATSAPP completely. It's like SMS would stop working just because. It's pretty lame and makes me very angry honestly. WhatsApp was so popular because it was available on ALL platforms. I guess as soon as RCS is finally ready WhatsApp will slowly die on all platforms. I know, it's not your fault personally. But didn't you discuss these options with your team?

Anyway, happy new year everybody!
    If this bothers you so much, why don't you pay the salaries of the people who are going to have to keep working on the legacy app?

By the way, what is "RCS"?
    01-02-18 01:24 PM
    since from their viewpoint, BB10 users are freeloading compared to different OS users sharing their data.
    Which actually is kind of strange reasoning. BB10 users or not freeloading more or less than when the app came out. App functionality isnt changed, amount of data shared isn't changed either.

So it is kind of a one way change of conditions even if the BB10 is still delivering his part.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-18 01:49 PM
    Honstely. WhatsApp had PLENTY of options to keep the client alive on older platforms. There was no need to kill it completely. You know, something like a legacy client to keep text and image messages alive. So many options. But you chose the worst option available. KILLING WHATSAPP completely.
    The WA dev addressed this. WA wants to have all clients up-to-date and at feature parity, because when that isn't the case, they get lots of complaints and poor reviews from the people who are missing out on those features.

WA also has metrics to show how many people are using their services and what app version and OS they are running on - and those numbers get added to the equation. Another part of that equation is the state of the development tools and APIs, as well as the state of the platform as a whole.

With all that information, WA calculated that the cost of further development and support of the BB10 client wasn't worth it anymore. They know that most of the few users who are still on BB10 will switch to the Android app, and the few who can't or won't simply don't justify the costs (development, support, or opportunity costs) of keeping the BB10 client alive.

That kind of calculation is just basic good business. WA already extended support twice, but it had to end somewhere.

Either install the Android version of the app on your BB10 device, buy a supported phone, or go without WA. Those are the options.
    john_v and vimagreg like this.
    01-02-18 04:02 PM
    Thanks for this, I must have missed that statement. Well, then there's nothing left to say. I don't even use my Classic, I switched to the PRIV and KEYone long ago. My brother and my dad still use the Classic and the Passport and I already installed the Android version on their phones. It was just hard to see such an elemental and basic messenger disappear from a great platform.
    01-03-18 08:19 AM
    It was just hard to see such an elemental and basic messenger disappear from a great platform.
    I understand, but this kind of thing HAS to be expected (and it's going to continue). BB10 development ended in 2015, which is also the year the last BB10 device was released. It's 2018, and smartphones are a bleeding-edge tech product, which means at 3 years old, even the newest BB10 phones are considered obsolete by the industry anyway.

No one has a problem if you choose to use your BB10 phones as long as you want to, but you can't possibly be shocked when third-party developers pull support for their apps 3 years after the manufacturer pulled development of the platform itself. The tech world moves on, and old tech gets left behind. It's an old and oft-repeated story...
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-04-18 02:11 AM
    I understand, but this kind of thing HAS to be expected (and it's going to continue). BB10 development ended in 2015, which is also the year the last BB10 device was released. It's 2018, and smartphones are a bleeding-edge tech product, which means at 3 years old, even the newest BB10 phones are considered obsolete by the industry anyway.

No one has a problem if you choose to use your BB10 phones as long as you want to, but you can't possibly be shocked when third-party developers pull support for their apps 3 years after the manufacturer pulled development of the platform itself. The tech world moves on, and old tech gets left behind. It's an old and oft-repeated story...
    Is this why I'm having problems with Palm and webOS now?
    01-04-18 08:12 AM
    Whatsapp android apk still works great. It heats up the device and eats up the juice like hell, sure, but...eh.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 01-11-18 at 09:32 PM.
    Luciano GC likes this.
    01-11-18 04:08 AM
    my orginal whatsapp on my Q10 still works as normal as always - but only using it over wifi
    01-11-18 04:55 AM
    Funny, my BB10 whatsapp on the classic worked no longer. All the chats were there, but I couldn't add anything to them. Which was why I replaced it with the android version.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-18 05:02 AM
    my orginal whatsapp on my Q10 still works as normal as always - but only using it over wifi
    It's strange, my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-5 still works with carrier's data plan and also WI-FI !...
    01-11-18 08:29 AM
    It's strange, my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-5 still works with carrier's data plan and also WI-FI !...
    Well I did not try over carrier, as the sim card on that device doesn't have data plan
    01-11-18 09:12 AM
    Funny, my BB10 whatsapp on the classic worked no longer. All the chats were there, but I couldn't add anything to them. Which was why I replaced it with the android version.

Posted via CB10
    sorry, did you manage to retrieve the chat history and keep it online with Android?
    01-11-18 01:47 PM
    sorry, did you manage to retrieve the chat history and keep it online with Android?
    Nope. Gotta start fresh. Groups are there, but the chats are also gone. Start from empty.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-18 09:31 PM
    My friends can't load any of my videos photos and voice notes that send them I think it's done but I still can write them. Sad!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-18 09:56 PM
    Is this why I'm having problems with Palm and webOS now?
    We're having problems with webOS? Mine's just fine.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    01-11-18 11:13 PM
    Invictus0, I looked and it wasn't there. I did manage to download WhatsApp apk, is that the right one?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-18 08:53 AM
    Invictus0, I looked and it wasn't there. I did manage to download WhatsApp apk, is that the right one?

Posted via CB10
    Just point your device browser here: https://www.whatsapp.com/android/
    01-14-18 10:24 AM
    dkonigsberg_wa I am unable to use the "export conversations for Android" feature and have been for at least a week. When I click "prepare" it says "Could not prepare for conversation export because WhatsApp does not have a valid network connection". What can I do? I did "Email export" and "Copy database" but that's not useful for restoring the chats to Android. Please help.
    01-14-18 05:18 PM
    Also, does anyone know a way or could at least give some hints as to whether (and how) it would be possible to use the unencrypted SQLlite message database (This database file is in SQLite format, and the schema is specific to the BB10 app) for migrating the chat history to Android. Is it possible? thanks!
    01-14-18 05:47 PM
    Since there's plenty of speculation among everyone trying to mince words spread through a number of articles, I'd just like to clear up exactly what is going to happen with the BlackBerry 10 client*:

The December 31, 2017 date has not changed. It is for real this time. However, since I know that many of you will "run to town" on the forums if the app doesn't die in your face at the stroke of midnight, here's how things are actually going to happen (at least on BlackBerry 10):

Once the date passes Dec 31 2017, the app will go into "deprecation" mode. It will still continue to function for a short grace period, but some behaviors will change. Most importantly, you will no longer be able to re-register your account with the app. That means if you delete and reinstall it (or install it on a different phone), it will no longer allow you to verify your phone number and complete the setup process.

After the grace period, which is approximately two weeks after the published date, the app will go into "expired" mode. At this point it will stop functioning as a usable WhatsApp client, and thus will no longer connect to our servers. (Around this same time, our servers will stop allowing the client to connect as well.) However, once it is expired, the BlackBerry 10 client app may still allow you to access your existing message content on your phone. This behavior should be similar to what was seen by everyone who forgot to update their app the last time our published expiration date had passed.

Note: If you want to try the "Export for Android" feature that's been mentioned in some other threads, please do it (or at least try to do it) before your app is cut off. Part of the initial setup process for this feature requires a connection to our servers.

(* The client being referred to here is the native "WhatsApp for BlackBerry 10" application. None of our language refers to the Android client, because it has never been an officially supported option. The Android client may continue to work past this date, but no effort has been or will be made to ensure compatibility. As such, it could break at any time. Therefore, to continue using WhatsApp, switching to a real Android phone is strongly recommended.)
    Thanks but we won't switch to Android (:
    01-25-18 11:45 AM
    Thanks but we won't switch to Android (:
    No one's forcing you to.
    kvoox likes this.
    01-25-18 11:47 AM
    No one's forcing you to.

Of course man, I'm so addicted to BlackBerry 10 and will never use another OS I really don't care what people think of it !
    BlackBerry 10 = Drug 🔥🔥
    01-25-18 11:51 AM
    Of course man, I'm so addicted to BlackBerry 10 and will never use another OS I really don't care what people think of it !
    BlackBerry 10 = Drug
    So why bother the WhatsApp developer? Only being more helpful than anyone else was regarding WhatsApp..
    01-25-18 01:35 PM
    Due to some issue today uninstalled whatsapp (powered by android) and tried to install it back while installing got msg "whatsapp won't work with out google play service - already am installed playservice but even though am getting this alert.

Using BB10, help me out in this as soon as early to recover.
    01-25-18 02:20 PM
    Due to some issue, today uninstalled whatsapp and tried to install it back while installing got msg (while loading backup) - "whatsapp required google play service to run " installed play service very long back even though am getting this issue for lot of apps.
    01-25-18 02:25 PM
117 ... 2345