Yes, unless this is part of an offensive to move current BB10 users away to BlackBerry on Android devices...
    12-27-17 04:46 AM
    What do you trust the most: some random German or Dutch news website (what's their source?) or the BB10 WhatsApp developer himself posting on CrackBerry?
    12-27-17 07:35 AM
    Read this, its the same like in two other links below
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...new-years-eve/

Posted via CB10
    12-27-17 09:29 AM
    I think people are just misreading the blog post, it clearly says existing WhatsApp functionality will continue to work until December 31, 2017. WhatsApp builds expire a few months from release so there's no way for it to work "indefinitely".
    12-27-17 10:05 AM
    Since there's plenty of speculation among everyone trying to mince words spread through a number of articles, I'd just like to clear up exactly what is going to happen with the BlackBerry 10 client*:

The December 31, 2017 date has not changed. It is for real this time. However, since I know that many of you will "run to town" on the forums if the app doesn't die in your face at the stroke of midnight, here's how things are actually going to happen (at least on BlackBerry 10):

Once the date passes Dec 31 2017, the app will go into "deprecation" mode. It will still continue to function for a short grace period, but some behaviors will change. Most importantly, you will no longer be able to re-register your account with the app. That means if you delete and reinstall it (or install it on a different phone), it will no longer allow you to verify your phone number and complete the setup process.

After the grace period, which is approximately two weeks after the published date, the app will go into "expired" mode. At this point it will stop functioning as a usable WhatsApp client, and thus will no longer connect to our servers. (Around this same time, our servers will stop allowing the client to connect as well.) However, once it is expired, the BlackBerry 10 client app may still allow you to access your existing message content on your phone. This behavior should be similar to what was seen by everyone who forgot to update their app the last time our published expiration date had passed.

Note: If you want to try the "Export for Android" feature that's been mentioned in some other threads, please do it (or at least try to do it) before your app is cut off. Part of the initial setup process for this feature requires a connection to our servers.

(* The client being referred to here is the native "WhatsApp for BlackBerry 10" application. None of our language refers to the Android client, because it has never been an officially supported option. The Android client may continue to work past this date, but no effort has been or will be made to ensure compatibility. As such, it could break at any time. Therefore, to continue using WhatsApp, switching to a real Android phone is strongly recommended.)
    12-27-17 11:22 AM
    thx for the clarification dkonigsberg_wa, and good luck on your next project.
    12-27-17 11:33 AM
    Same here, thx a lot @dkonigsberg_wa ! Your posts are always meaningful & useful!
    12-27-17 01:06 PM
    I feel like CrackBerry should put this on the News Blog! If that's the only reason people are gonna move away from OS10 (right now), then they those Crackberrians should know about that!
    This has been discussed a great deal and WhatsApp themselves have posted it, I believe (I don't use it, so I'm not certain). Isn't that enough?
    12-27-17 02:37 PM
    I feel like CrackBerry should put this on the News Blog! If that's the only reason people are gonna move away from OS10 (right now), then they those Crackberrians should know about that!
    Was posted earlier today on CB front page..
    12-27-17 05:08 PM
    (* Therefore, to continue using WhatsApp, switching to a real Android phone is strongly recommended.)
    Thanks for the clarification.

Another option, of course, is to drop WhatsApp instead...
    12-28-17 02:19 PM
    Thanks to clarify the situation, now we know what will happen and how to act.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    12-28-17 02:24 PM
    Another option, of course, is to drop WhatsApp instead...
    What other option do you really have on BB10 for a feature rich experience? Even BBM is leaving the platform behind, at least the runtime is giving you a chance to continue using the app and OS without major compromises.
    12-28-17 03:04 PM
    What other option do you really have on BB10 for a feature rich experience? Even BBM is leaving the platform behind, at least the runtime is giving you a chance to continue using the app and OS without major compromises.
    Telegram?
    12-28-17 04:11 PM
    Telegram?
    This.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-28-17 04:17 PM
    Telegram?
    Sure but if you're already using WhatsApp on BB10 it doesn't seem to make much sense to switch to a new service and have to run an Android app for the full experience anyway just out of spite.
    12-28-17 04:19 PM
    Yes, unless this is part of an offensive to move current BB10 users away to BlackBerry on Android devices...
    For crying out loud ... this has been building for, what, TWO FULL YEARS? Separately, BB has announced the EOL path for BB10 and other services. How exactly would BB influence the developers of WhatsApp? Remember, that's NOT BB owned software.
    12-28-17 04:52 PM
    For crying out loud ... this has been building for, what, TWO FULL YEARS? Separately, BB has announced the EOL path for BB10 and other services. How exactly would BB influence the developers of WhatsApp? Remember, that's NOT BB owned software.
    I am fully aware of the difference between Blackberry and WA. My implicit, now explicit point is that WA should have been allowed to run until the end of 2019, in sync with BB's own support plan for BB10. I do not care if the WA is as feature-rich as iOS or Android versions as long as it retains the basic functionality of messaging text and images. If you want video, use Skype. And, as an aside, it is after the takeover of WA by Facebook that interest in developing any other client than iOS and Android has dropped.
    elfabio80 and ColinsCity like this.
    12-29-17 03:36 AM
    I am fully aware of the difference between Blackberry and WA. My implicit, now explicit point is that WA should have been allowed to run until the end of 2019, in sync with BB's own support plan for BB10.
    Your original statement ("unless this is part of an offensive to move current BB10 users away to BlackBerry on Android devices...") seems to be implying that BB is influencing WA to drop their support.

The "villain" here, however, would be WA and not BB. If there are darts to be thrown, then they should be thrown at WA/Facebook.
    12-29-17 08:16 AM
    And, as an aside, it is after the takeover of WA by Facebook that interest in developing any other client than iOS and Android has dropped.
    Windows Phone users would disagree.

WhatsApp made their decision nearly two years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry made their decision relatively recently as they were still open to licensing BB10 earlier this year.
    ColinsCity likes this.
    12-29-17 07:25 PM
    Looks like, first casualty of disowning WhatsApp on BB10 is here down under, Australia (see message below from WhatsApp). Interestingly, it is still working as I am still receiving and sending messages.

"Switch to Supported phone: WhatsApp no longer support this phone. Please switch to a supported phone"
    12-30-17 08:25 AM
    Guys for the sake of God, WA isn't the only message option. There's a lot of even better options out there. And if the service is so so important to you that you can't even consider to live without it so, it's really time to upgrade your phone after two full years of a very slow BB10 death.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-30-17 08:49 AM
    Guys for the sake of God, WA isn't the only message option. There's a lot of even better options out there. And if the service is so so important to you that you can't even consider to live without it so, it's really time to upgrade your phone after two full years of a very slow BB10 death.
    This. Even telegram works great.
    12-30-17 09:29 AM
    Well, it looks like you have a couple of days, at least, to send this message out to everyone who sends or ever will send you WhatsApp messages. You can sign it "Sincerely, The Only Person You Know That Can Not Be Contacted by WhatsApp."
    12-30-17 09:30 AM
    Well, it looks like you have a couple of days, at least, to send this message out to everyone who sends or ever will send you WhatsApp messages. You can sign it "Sincerely, The Only Person You Know That Can Not Be Contacted by WhatsApp."
    I use WA. I need it to work. Because of it I bought an iPhone. No problems for me. But if I considered using a vintage phone more important than that so, yes, I would abandon WA. To live is to make choices. Simple like that.
    12-30-17 09:39 AM
    Of course it's not the only option. But the value of a messaging platform is the users that are on it. You could build the perfect app, if you have no users on it, it's useless. Convincing people to switch messaging platforms is a really time consuming thing and will result in a splitting user groups.

Where I live people mostly use two messaging apps: Whatsapp and Facebook messenger.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-30-17 02:53 PM
117 1234 ...