I remember on my Bold 9700, at one point I was running 45 apps simultaneously. Obviously, that's ludicrous for normal operation, but so is only being able to run 8 apps at once. Is this really the limit? Does 10.3 change this, or are there any workarounds? I would love to switch to BlackBerry, but this limitation would be a dealbreaker. In my opinion, BlackBerry was the king of multitasking, and even my Bold on OS5 back in 2009 could multitask better than my Android Jellybean device today.
    12-03-14 10:04 PM
    Eight active frames, though some apps can also run in the background w/o an active frame. Quite frankly, that's probably the worst reasoning I've heard for not buying a BlackBerry 10 device though. I can't think of a single time it has ever hindered my use.
    12-03-14 10:26 PM
    So how would I access one of those apps that doesn't use an active frame? I guess you are saying that it's possible to bypass the 8-app limitation, provided that some of the apps you're running are the special kind that can run without an active frame?
    12-03-14 10:29 PM
    So how would I access one of those apps that doesn't use an active frame? I guess you are saying that it's possible to bypass the 8-app limitation, provided that some of the apps you're running are the special kind that can run without an active frame?
    You're not 'bypassing' anything. It's part of the system in which apps can run in the background without an active frame, otherwise known as headless apps. Pulling in data so it's ready when you open it up, changing your wallpaper at a timed interval etc etc.

Headless apps - BlackBerry Native
    12-03-14 10:32 PM
    Okay, thanks for your help by the way. From what I read on that link you posted, I'm guessing that it's not possible to choose whichever apps you want to be 'headless'. e.g. if I have 8 apps already open, I cannot simply choose my music player to be a 'headless app', which would allow me to run my music player along with my other 8 apps, for a total of 9 apps.

At the end of the day, 8 apps is the most I can run simultaneously that I have control over. Is this right?
    12-03-14 10:40 PM
    At the end of the day, 8 apps is the most I can run simultaneously that I have control over. Is this right?
    For the sake of simplicity, yes. You can't choose which apps you want to be headless, it's a developer option and as such it gets built into some apps. But again, the limit has never affected my usage and I've never heard anyone else complain about it either that I can recall.
    12-03-14 10:47 PM
    Okay. The 8-app thing is a serious concern for me, but I may end up doing a 30-day trial and return it if it becomes an issue. It's a bit disappointing that BlackBerry thought it necessary to restrict a fantastic feature that made the old BlackBerrys so productivity-friendly.

Thanks for your help.
    12-03-14 10:51 PM
    Okay. The 8-app thing is a serious concern for me, but I may end up doing a 30-day trial and return it if it becomes an issue. It's a bit disappointing that BlackBerry thought it necessary to restrict a fantastic feature that made the old BlackBerrys so productivity-friendly.

Thanks for your help.
    I'm just curious... which apps do you need to run simultaneously?

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 10:57 PM
    Okay. The 8-app thing is a serious concern for me...
    What are you talking about? Android OS will show you last used 8-10-12 apps and that's it! HTC Sense has a grid of last 9 used apps, for example. And it doesn't mean they are all running simultaneously. Most are in idle and OS will close them if it's running out of available memory. Don't worry about system processes and services. BB10 has all necessary services running in background, just like iOS and Android. Since BB10 10.2.1 update unlimited number of apps are allowed to run in background.
    Simon Bland likes this.
    12-03-14 11:14 PM
    I'm just curious... which apps do you need to run simultaneously?
    Honestly, I like to be efficient and I like to run as few apps as possible on my phone. On my Android, I like to deal with an email, close it, deal with whatever webpages I might've been looking at, bookmark them or whatever, then close my browser. Running too many apps feels hectic and disorganized, and I might miss or lose some important info.

But, I highly value the ability to run so many apps if I so need to. This is to avoid opening that 9th app and losing all the data on whatever was your oldest-used running app. This is what really annoys me with the way Android handles RAM and multitasking. If I ever pass that threshhold, which does happen on particularly busy days, I'll potentially lose useful information I need when the OS sees fit to close an app for me.

Here's an example.

Say I start my day by looking at Amazon's "Free App of the Day". I might be interested in download that app and I might not, but I don't have time to read into it or check it out, and I don't want to blindly install apps and deal with a messy app drawer later. So I leave it in memory to deal with later.

1. Amazon App Store

I have emails coming in every day like most poeple, and a particular email just has a lot of information on it that I can't deal with right away. I don't want to Star it and close my email; I might forget about it. I'd prefer to keep it in memory and deal with it later in the day. When I check my currently-running apps, I see the Gmail application and I know I need to deal with that email. If I star it and close it, it goes away and I'll for sure forget about it.

2. Gmail

I like to be listening to music during my commute and sometimes while studying. (I am in school)

3. Cubed

Maybe I have an open chat with a colleague I need to follow-up on. If I clear it from my list of running apps, I'll forget about it.

4. Google Hangouts

On my Kindle app, I have one of my textbooks open which I'm using for homework or studying on the bus.

5. Amazon Kindle

I might be taking a new route on the bus, and would like to have Google Maps open for live tracking, so I know to get off on the right stop.

6. Google Maps

I use OneNote to write down or record quick notes I need to remember later. I might have a note open that I'm currently editing with stuff I need to remember later, but I am editing notes in from the textbook I'm reading, so I'm not quite ready to close the app yet.

7. Microsoft OneNote

Obviously, there is the web browser. I might have tabs open with an article I read, or with my school webpage up with the assignments list and description of what we're asked to do for tonight's homework. I don't want to just Pocket all the tabs (I do use that service), because at least I need to be able to check back on that assignment page from time to time.

8. Mozilla Firefox

I'm still on the bus and oh crap, there is something coming up which I want to take a picture of. I open the camera app and now I've lost my free app of the day. I might forget about it for the rest of my busy day and tomorrow, I've lost my chance to download that sweet calculator app for free which is normally $5 because I didn't get a chance to compare it with my current calculator to see if it can plot multiple sine/cosine curves or if it handles variables better.

And yes, I'm still listening to music and still planning on dealing with that big email and Google Hangouts conversation and still have the ebook, web browser, and note app open for homework, and maps for tracking my location while on the bus.

Fortunately, this sort of demanding situation doesn't happen too terribly often, but I'd like to have a device that can keep up with my lifestyle when it does.
    12-03-14 11:22 PM
    Maybe he doesn't realize texting, email etc isn't all a separate app like it is on android or ios

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold, spikesolie, Rello and 1 others like this.
    12-03-14 11:26 PM
    What are you talking about? Android OS will show you last used 8-10-12 apps and that's it! HTC Sense has a grid of last 9 used apps, for example. And it doesn't mean they are all running simultaneously. Most are in idle and OS will close them if it's running out of available memory. Don't worry about system processes and services. BB10 has all necessary services running in background, just like iOS and Android. Since BB10 10.2.1 update unlimited number of apps are allowed to run in background.
    I was running 20 apps earlier today on my LG Optimus G Pro on Android 4.1.2 (this was an experiment to see what my phone could handle). My phone has 2 GB of RAM so fortunately all of them were able to run without getting lost in memory and having to reload.
    Last edited by Hevroth; 12-04-14 at 01:56 AM.
    12-03-14 11:26 PM
    Maybe he doesn't realize texting, email etc isn't all a separate app like it is on android or ios
    I do realize that (BlackBerry Hub), however BlackBerry is a different ecosystem than what I am used to. So, while I don't know how my multitasking habits will change going to a new OS, I like to know that whatever new OS I am moving to will be able to handle whatever I do on my current OS.
    12-03-14 11:28 PM
    Please go through this article, this may clear your doubt.
    Headless apps - BlackBerry Native
    12-04-14 12:25 AM
    Having that many apps idle in the background will slow down your phone over time.
    12-04-14 12:31 AM
    Having that many apps idle in the background will slow down your phone over time.
    Exactly what I was going to say! Does He realize that???
    12-04-14 12:33 AM
    I do realize that (BlackBerry Hub), however BlackBerry is a different ecosystem than what I am used to. So, while I don't know how my multitasking habits will change going to a new OS, I like to know that whatever new OS I am moving to will be able to handle whatever I do on my current OS.
    You dont need an extra open app to text, email, chat etc. Just use the reversed swipe L gesture to get to the hub. Your other apps can still be open and run (!!) in the background!
    12-04-14 12:39 AM
    45 open apps.... riiiiiiiiiiiight. on bb5, riiiiiiiiiiiight

edit: btw your example is flawed, gmail is NOT an app, so even if you wanted cubed, onenote, amazon appstore, firefox, gmaps, kindle and hangouts open (which doesnt exist on bb, only google talk which doesnt support voice/video and also is a headless app, so you dont need to have its active frame open 24/7), thats perfectly fine

btw wasnt the limit bumped up to 16 in 10.3.0 or 10.3.1? or was the bump for z3 only to 8? or it was just some speculation i read on the forums
    skstrials likes this.
    12-04-14 12:58 AM
    btw wasnt the limit bumped up to 16 in 10.3.0 or 10.3.1? or was the bump for z3 only to 8? or it was just some speculation i read on the forums
    Will someone with a 10.3 device verify this? Thanks in advance.
    12-04-14 01:56 AM
    Well you just have to adjust yourself and your friends a little and you are all set:

As for your desire, leave the following open:

1. Amazon App Store
    2. Cubed ?
    3. Amazon Kindle
    4. Google Maps / BlackBerry Maps
    5. Microsoft OneNote / Docs to Go / Remember app / Evernote
    6. Mozilla Firefox Native Browser

Now change the following:

7. Google Hangouts
    I would strongly suggest getting your friends & colleagues on BBM or one of the alternatives messenger apps that have hub integration.
    With BBM you can send them messages or even call them and share all types of files.
    So no need to keep the app open, or at least not all the time, cause its also running in the background.
    If you want to see a message when closed, just swipe into the hub, and from there you can read and reply...

* Gmail (Does not count as an app)
    This just comes rolling into your hub and it will be there for you later on; you can even flag it, give it priority, mark as unread and or a color code the email account. You can also attach it to notes you make in the Remember app. By marking it as unread again, the hub will keep telling you, you actually have an unread email in the hub when you swipe up from your phone as well as on the lock screen. Also inside the hub you can filter on accounts.... or use pinch to get all your unread messages back in view.

7 & 8 (if you switch to bbm or sort like):
    So now you have still one or two free slot for your camera, in fact, when you use 8 slots and you want to take a picture for sharing something with a friend, invoke the share screen, from there you can actually take a new picture, without loading the camera app as a separate app.

BB10 power:
    The fact is BB10 is fast and the hub is amazing... closed an app? No worry, back open in no-time....and for a lot of communication you often don't even need to open the app and you can just reply from the hub... e.g. BBM, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter..
    Always check that one specific site all the time, place the bookmark on your homescreen, just click it... and the browser opens with that site,
    or opens an extra tab for that site.

I don't know about the Amazone store, but if in BBWorld you can also bookmark an app for later. Also, if you are already sure you want that free app or even just try it.... then why not just press the download button... and maybe cancel right way? This way you got it for free and can still try it later.... another app closed....maybe you will forget about it, but at least its there and didn't hurt your wallet in any way.
    ezikiah likes this.
    12-04-14 03:21 AM
    45 open apps.... riiiiiiiiiiiight. on bb5, riiiiiiiiiiiight

edit: btw your example is flawed, gmail is NOT an app, so even if you wanted cubed, onenote, amazon appstore, firefox, gmaps, kindle and hangouts open (which doesnt exist on bb, only google talk which doesnt support voice/video and also is a headless app, so you dont need to have its active frame open 24/7), thats perfectly fine

It was never changed.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 03:32 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is the best multitasking phone I have ever had.

Posted on my Q10.
    12-04-14 03:56 AM
    Honestly, I like to be efficient and I like to run as few apps as possible on my phone.
    Honestly, you have no idea how much easier is to do all that on Blackberry 10. On iOS and Android you have to open and close apps all the time. On Blackberry 10 you are one gesture away from your emails and messages from any app, no matter what it is. This is one of the main reasons I use BlackBerry after playing a lot with iOS and Android.
    12-04-14 05:24 AM
    To the OP and please accept my SARCASM in this reply...Put down the Monster Energy drink and Starbucks and maybe try a nice relaxing green tea instead. Nothing is going to disappear in the 5 seconds it takes to open up an app...I promise!! To most of the world what you seem to be proposing is simply ludicrous..nobody and I mean NOBODY needs to have that many apps running at the same time, not even Presidents or Prime Ministers. And to quote a "famous" Vulcan philosopher
    " After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
    mk2234 likes this.
    12-04-14 05:42 AM
    OP go try a
    BlackBerry phone and you will see how much easier Your life will be with BlackBerry 10.
    12-04-14 07:54 AM
40 12