That's not BlackBerry it's Android.

Posted via CB10
    Then suddenly 90% of the voices on this forum will go silent all at once.
    02-09-18 02:32 PM
    I don't think they will let the devices just die, they need to push an update that eliminates the need for connecting to BB Servers so that way phones can still be used for texts, calls and email.

Posted via CB10
    mseeya likes this.
    02-09-18 03:51 PM
    I don't think they will let the devices just die, they need to push an update that eliminates the need for connecting to BB Servers so that way phones can still be used for texts, calls and email.

Posted via CB10
    I hear that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are part of that development team.
    02-09-18 03:54 PM
    After BlackBerry dies in 2020, it shall be succeeded by BlackBerry OS 11! If only...
    02-09-18 06:03 PM
    How about this idea.... turn off all radios on the legacy phone, yank out sim, restart the phone and see what happens. The phone won't be able to communicate with any servers, so if it turns on, it should still turn on after 2020, methinks. Such a device can still type, do emails, music, browse, vids. Making calls is anyone's guess. Don't ever ever factory reset it.
    mseeya likes this.
    02-09-18 07:42 PM
    BB10 devices don't connect to any servers on startup. I suspect BBM and BB World will no longer connect and anything to do with the Hub may also break. But you'll probably still be able to install APKs lol.
    mseeya likes this.
    02-09-18 08:02 PM
    I would just proceed based on the assumption that the phone won't be useful as at Dec 2019.
    I think BB10 users will go batsh-t crazy, and BlackBerry will just keep the servers running.

I have a Vector watch. Vector went out of business and its assets were bought by Fitbit. Just to avoid angering users of a defunct company, Fitbit is keeping Vector's servers running.

BlackBerry intends to stay in business -- or so they say. There is not enough money to be saved by angering people loyal to the brand.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-18 01:48 AM
    I think BB10 users will go batsh-t crazy, and BlackBerry will just keep the servers running.

I have a Vector watch. Vector went out of business and its assets were bought by Fitbit. Just to avoid angering users of a defunct company, Fitbit is keeping Vector's servers running.

BlackBerry intends to stay in business -- or so they say. There is not enough money to be saved by angering people loyal to the brand.

Posted via CB10
    I thought Fitbit announced the servers are going to be shut down on June 30 2018.

BlackBerry Limited is out of the phone market. I am sure the EOL date is the date the contracts end for managing and maintaining the servers. If BlackBerry Limited cares about how BB10 customers feel they have not demonstrated it for the last three years. They are not going to care in 2020 for the few remaining BB10 users.
    Last edited by eshropshire; 02-10-18 at 09:24 AM.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    02-10-18 02:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    BB10 devices don't need BlackBerry servers for text or email. As long as you wireless carrier allows you to use their standard APN and not a BlackBerry APN these will continue to work.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    mseeya likes this.
    02-10-18 06:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    I believe they are hoping no one will be left using BB10 in two years, so they won't have to deal with that.
    zer0ten likes this.
    02-10-18 07:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    1. There aren't enough BB10 users left to care and BB wants them all to leave anyway. If they cared what BB10 users thought or not to upset them, BB wouldn't have announced EOL date.

2. BB wants to end responsibilities to BB10 users and the ecosystem. They announced EOL two years out so nobody has basis for complaining.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    02-10-18 07:34 AM
    BB10 devices don't need BlackBerry servers for text or email. As long as you wireless carrier allows you to use their standard APN and not a BlackBerry APN these will continue to work.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    I'm talking about the process of setup,the anthi theft protection and BBID

Posted via CB10
    02-10-18 07:41 AM
    I'm talking about the process of setup,the anthi theft protection and BBID

Posted via CB10
    I believe nobody is completely sure, but I believe some knowledgeable persons here stated earlier, plan for that other stuff to end of life .
    02-10-18 07:52 AM
    I thought about BB Protect as well. And I reminded myself to turn that off just before 2020.
    In my opionion everything besides BBW and BBM shouldn't really be affected.
    Apart from APIs changing and braking for even more apps of cause

I could imagine that even after 2020 there'll be some smaller projects on github to develope new alternatives for broken things – jut like basket for dropbox, which really works pretty well for me. So you don't necessarily need BBW just to install apps, since you can sideload them via sachesi and/or BB Playbook Manager addon for Chrome.
    mseeya likes this.
    02-10-18 08:48 AM
    Can someone explain to a dummy like me what's happening in 2020 and why??? I'm still rockin a Z10

Posted via CB10
    02-10-18 10:33 AM
    Can someone explain to a dummy like me what's happening in 2020 and why??? I'm still rockin a Z10

Posted via CB10
    No one is sure exactly.

But BlackBerry said services will be shutting down over the next two years - culminating with the shuttering of BlackBerry World and BlackBerry support for BB10 in Dec 2019.
    mseeya likes this.
    02-10-18 10:36 AM
    I think a lot of the Crackberry community is worrying about something that may affect only a very small amount of users and I mean VERY small.

If we run under the assumption that the vast majority of the BlackBerry 10 base was sold in 2013, 2014 and some hardcore fans in 2015, by the time 2020 rolls around, these devices will be OLD. This is not to say that they aren't still useful or anything about the BlackBerry 10 OS or anything. I am taking about them being old with batteries having been worn down, screens having been cracked, keyboards may be in need of replacing and the device's having slowed down a bit.

In BlackBerry's release about the future they said a "minimum of 2 years" which means they could potentially have certain services go past that.

Let's not forget about the fact that a lot hardcore BlackBerry fans may have made the switch to BlackBerry's Android experience with Priv, Keyone and Motion. The natural upgrade for a lot of those users and corporate clients would be the existing BlackBerry Android devices that are going to launch in the coming years.

I think for a lot of us the hope is that we will still cling to the BlackBerry 10 phones for a lot of years and I am one of those people but I am starting to see very small cracks on my loyalty. I just look at how many people on CB were always so against Google and going the Android route, never buying a touchscreen BlackBerry, BlackBerry 10 for life etc etc etc. Devices like the Priv and Keyone came along and a lot of the sales to those devices came from BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 users. It wasn't iPhone and other Android fans that flocked to those initial sales which at the time caused some small time sell outs. The numbers were gigantic but it did erode the BlackBerry 10 base and that also occurred again with the Motion.

If we see some unique devices this year from BlackBerry Mobile I have no doubt that more and more BlackBerry 10 fans will make the switch eroding the base even further. It's just a natural progression for a huge amount of BlackBerry fans. Given the choice of perhaps spending $75 on getting a brand new Motion on a 2 year contract where I believe $99 or spending $75 on repairing the cracked screen or busted keyboard at a local shop for a 2013 BlackBerry 10 devices, most people will just buy a new phone.

Whatever happens the devices will still be able to do a lot of functions in 2020 but not all of them. For some users who don't require those functions, they will be proudly using them and I MAY be one but I don't know. I see myself using my Passport for the vast majority of needs for probably another year and we can reassess the BlackBerry Mobile line up then and go through the process of finally getting a Google account! Lol

Posted via CB10
    mseeya likes this.
    02-10-18 09:18 PM
    You know, when people brainstorm the things that happen to a device that's no longer updated that make it no longer feasible to continue using, a LOT of people overlook the browser.

I've been loyal to RIM for as long as I can remember (I'm in my 20s). That said, I did try using a Pre3 for a while.

To be honest, I loved it, and would go back to at least using it as a backup, if it weren't for the browser.

That browser is from 2011. However, web standards have change so much in that time so as to render it unusable practically. NOTHING works. Not google, not eBay, not Crackberry. Nothing.

That's a six- or seven-year-old browser--which, it's worth noting, is roughly comparable to what the BB10 browser will be in 2020.

Web standards change, fast. I know I'm gonna get a lot of people replying who say they don't browse the web hardly at all, but I firmly believe you lot to be in the minority here. I think that once the BB10 Browser reaches a tipping point, where a critical percentage of websites no longer load useably, that's when the phone becomes a paperweight.

I can deal with the HP app store being offline. I can deal with the screen feeling smaller and smaller in comparison with each passing year. I can deal with the battery wearing further down. But if I can't load google dot ****in com properly, let alone the sites I find through it, I simply cannot use it as my main device in any meaningful way.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-10-18 11:45 PM
    You know, when people brainstorm the things that happen to a device that's no longer updated that make it no longer feasible to continue using, a LOT of people overlook the browser.

I've been loyal to RIM for as long as I can remember (I'm in my 20s). That said, I did try using a Pre3 for a while.

To be honest, I loved it, and would go back to at least using it as a backup, if it weren't for the browser.

That browser is from 2011. However, web standards have change so much in that time so as to render it unusable practically. NOTHING works. Not google, not eBay, not Crackberry. Nothing.

That's a six- or seven-year-old browser--which, it's worth noting, is roughly comparable to what the BB10 browser will be in 2020.

Web standards change, fast. I know I'm gonna get a lot of people replying who say they don't browse the web hardly at all, but I firmly believe you lot to be in the minority here. I think that once the BB10 Browser reaches a tipping point, where a critical percentage of websites no longer load useably, that's when the phone becomes a paperweight.

I can deal with the HP app store being offline. I can deal with the screen feeling smaller and smaller in comparison with each passing year. I can deal with the battery wearing further down. But if I can't load google dot ****in com properly, let alone the sites I find through it, I simply cannot use it as my main device in any meaningful way.

Posted via CB10
    Not paperweight, just smartphone deprived of its smart features, therefore becoming a feature phone
    02-11-18 02:07 AM
    I don't know. I've long ago moved on to BBAndroid devices. I still have my BB10 devices, however, it's possible they may no longer function after 2019. I only use BB10 for entertainment purposes. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Yeah it was a great OS but people really need to accept that it's gone and move on. Android with the blackberry flavour is amazing.
    02-11-18 08:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can install Android browser just fine.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-18 11:14 AM
    You can install Android browser just fine.

Posted via CB10
    You're forgetting this is 2020. 95%+ of regularly-updated apps will require Android 4.4 or later.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-18 08:19 PM
    I WILL stick with BlackBerry I just hope one of the phones this year is to my liking.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-18 08:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    A lot of good and valid points on the browser, but it's still usable. Not being updated to W3 standards is killing it in consumers minds but the javascript core, webkit, and python integration with this mobile netscape are still pretty good. Wish I had an example, I know their are some good ones.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-18 06:51 PM
    You're absolutely correct; the browser still works! I have no problems browsing with my Z30, and, I am no casual browser. Maybe my Z30 is a rare exception, but I don't have the problems others have posted - this BlackBerry works. If one day BB10 fails to deliver, so be it, and then, and only then, I'll switch to another operating system.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-18 09:49 PM
102 1234 ...