Not only is BB10 usable today, it is also efficient in that "let me get out of your way" style which ensures that the phone is just a means to your ultimate end.

Being no stranger to multiple phone OS' there is perhaps no other OS which so efficiently leaves you alone with your work (Windows phone and Sailfish are the closest competition).

Thanks to the community here I have loaded up all the must have native apps and tried to minimize Android ones. So many have mentioned the usual suspects in terms of apps that they use. I will make a note of the excellent Neutron player (BAR file) -free, I might add and RSS Savvy.

I try to stay with the native browser for the most part and only rely on Fennec F-Droid for the pages which misbehave. With uBlock origin and other wonderful addons the clutter on the web is kept at a minimum. Of course I cannot open dozens of pages as I would on the other leading OS' but that too helps me in keeping my focus and not get distracted.

3 email accounts, Evernote, Firefox Sync and Telegram X.

A special mention of the Bedside mode and the lovely convenience button (play/pause) as well as the skip track on long press of the volume buttons. These are features which can be missed even in flagship phones of today.

Lastly BlackBerry may not have heard of MIL standard certifications and dust and drop resistance. But no Passport owner needs any certification to tell him/her that the phone is able to withstand multiple drops, dust and hard use.

Pass(ion)Port!
    saint300 and dmlis like this.
    01-19-20 02:58 AM
    Oh and one other thing. In these days of people having a surfeit of devices at hand I find my Passport asking me to use it for calls, text and email and use laptop sized devices for video and other uses. It is peerless at what it was built for. It is not a jack of all trades and that is OK.

That paratek antenna means that I receive cellular reception even in the very remote area I live in. Switch the hotspot on and use whatever you want on any other device as needed...Just pick the Passport up for the essentials. Simple.

Pass(ion)Port!
    saint300 and Radoslav Valkov like this.
    01-19-20 03:02 AM
    So other than apps no longer being updated in BBW, how’s BB10 faring in 2020 for most users? More of the same or any subtle but irritating changes?
    Have to say for the present my Blackberry Passport is working better then it has in a long time and that is greatly due to the Frnnrc browser brought to us by XcrazyS.
    I have recently wiped my Passport and there must have been some software congestion cause it truly flies now. Very happy with it and will be taking it with me to the gym today for my workout, streaming SounCloud in the stock browser. Now that its all setup perhaps we will see how it goes as a daily again now that it's quicker.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    saint300 likes this.
    01-19-20 08:26 AM
    So now that we’re two days in with 2020 vision, see what I did there, where are we officially with BB10 usability?

I understand nothing blew up or shut down.

Has anybody noticed anything different in the ecosystem? Did anything change in BBW that’s actually confirmed?

Did a secret unknown stash of BB10 never released hardware show up on eBay today?
    Well, now that we are 19 days in 2020, I can say nothing's changed so far and everything works flawlessly!
    01-19-20 08:37 AM
    If it ever gets too bad, I will use a web rendering proxy via one of my servers. Problem solved.

but refers/hijacks links for data. Use duckduckgo, and you won't have this issue.

I can now use skype with bitlbee via IRC. Everything else I have comes from bbworld or is a side loaded bar (retroarch, torrent client).

But again, I am not a normal user.
    Dear not normal user , you let me smile.
    I have two questions:

first question ...
    this web rendering proxy thing. How I can do this? I am not a technician but use a shared server to install the necessary elements.

duckduckgo.com Thanks, I will install it.

second question ...
    this "use skype with bitlbee via IRC" thing sounds interesting ...

and ...
    3.b
    how I can manage or even generate side loaded bar-files?

Maybe you have a few words for me/us?
    Or some helpful explaining links?
    Maybe even a link with bar-file ressoures?

thanks in advance
    Huibert from Germany
    with THE black passport :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-26-20 02:59 AM
    What are the solutions for people to keep their respective BB10 hardware choices operating as the future gets closer?
    There is no actual need for me to come to a solution in order to keep my BB10 device because in my digital world I have never allowed to have a piece of hardware to offer more than I actually need. I strongly agree that the email/text/calls capability can no longer be categorised as a significant advantage just because the experience is good as this is not enough to constitute a smartphone. I consider my BB10 device of choice an excellent addition to my workflow because I write very much on its keyboard and find it particularly convenient especially when I have an idea that I want to capture instantly. All things I need are already pre-installed for me. The reason for keeping this BB10 device is that it ensures a natural flow for me - Docs To Go, Adobe Reader, Remember and Calendar and its internet tethering is what I need. I will keep the device until it ceases to function properly and wish I had another one for backup. As my array of requirements is fairly limited, I do not believe my hardware would lead to disappointment in near future. It is also a stylish compact camera for me where the native BB10 app yields good results.
    01-27-20 07:19 AM
    There is no actual need for me to come to a solution in order to keep my BB10 device because in my digital world I have never allowed to have a piece of hardware to offer more than I actually need. I strongly agree that the email/text/calls capability can no longer be categorised as a significant advantage just because the experience is good as this is not enough to constitute a smartphone. I consider my BB10 device of choice an excellent addition to my workflow because I write very much on its keyboard and find it particularly convenient especially when I have an idea that I want to capture instantly. All things I need are already pre-installed for me. The reason for keeping this BB10 device is that it ensures a natural flow for me - Docs To Go, Adobe Reader, Remember and Calendar and its internet tethering is what I need. I will keep the device until it ceases to function properly and wish I had another one for backup. As my array of requirements is fairly limited, I do not believe my hardware would lead to disappointment in near future. It is also a stylish compact camera for me where the native BB10 app yields good results.
    That’s good for you. Some can live that way.
    Radoslav Valkov and pdr733 like this.
    01-27-20 09:08 AM
    What I also find vital is the topic about whether the BB10 environment and hardware are limiting factors regarding real usability in 2020 and to what extent the emotional appreciation of BB10 devices determines the fact many people would not give up their devices. In my opinion, many people still retain their respect for BB10 and the good quality hardware associated with BB10 and the users who would not leave BB10 are those with such strictly defined workflows. I think there is not too much attachment to devices here - it is the actual habit that dictates retaining the BB10 configuration. So, BB10 goes inseparable from a given handset. In other words, people using BB10 only have this current set of options which for some people is more than enough, as you aptly said.
    01-27-20 09:37 AM
    That’s good for you. Some can live that way.
    But most of us can't.

At this point... if someone doesn't already own a BB10 phone, then BB10 really shouldn't be a consideration.
    01-27-20 11:10 AM
    But most of us can't.

At this point... if someone doesn't already own a BB10 phone, then BB10 really shouldn't be a consideration.
    Again your opinion and your needs and your purchasing power.
    eNough said

01-27-20 11:57 AM
    But most of us can't.

I beg to differ here.

I have said on some other thread, that I wouldn't try to talk people into experiencing BB10, if they are most probably on other platforms. Then again, this does not mean, by any stretch of the imagination, that I cannot offer here my experiences with this fabulous and still "dying and well", to quote Peter Sellers from that spectacular movie, OS! And there may be lots of people here that are interested in BB10, at least to know what this OS is all about, and after reading/asking questions, maybe make an informed decision to actually try BB10 and see if it is actually better suited to their needs. So, there you are.
    01-27-20 12:22 PM
    I beg to differ here.

I have said on some other thread, that I wouldn't try to talk people into experiencing BB10, if they are most probably on other platforms. Then again, this does not mean, by any stretch of the imagination, that I cannot offer here my experiences with this fabulous and still "dying and well", to quote Peter Sellers from that spectacular movie, OS! And there may be lots of people here that are interested in BB10, at least to know what this OS is all about, and after reading/asking questions, maybe make an informed decision to actually try BB10 and see if it is actually better suited to their needs. So, there you are.
    Problem is, without writing a lengthy treatise, you can't even scratch the surface of how newbies would struggle with BB10.

I think we're well past the point now of seriously suggesting the platform to all but the most informed - i.e.: current or previous users. It just wouldn't be responsible.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-27-20 12:43 PM
    Problem is, without writing a lengthy treatise, you can't even scratch the surface of how newbies would struggle with BB10.

I think we're well past the point now of seriously suggesting the platform to all but the most informed - i.e.: current or previous users. It just wouldn't be responsible.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but that's exactly what I said, no? Well, with a slight variation indeed. But the main point remains the same. Not any sort of preaching, simply offering personal views/experiences, and let people work on that, or not...
    01-27-20 12:57 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but that's exactly what I said, no? Well, with a slight variation indeed. But the main point remains the same. Not any sort of preaching, simply offering personal views/experiences, and let people work on that, or not...
    I think point conite is making is that we’d be irresponsible suggesting BB10 to a never used BB10 person without the caveats that many complain as the anti-BB10 comments.

Just read the few posts from some new BB10 users about certain apps not being available or completely functional as on Android/iOS platforms. Too many prospects want to believe and then are disappointed.
    01-27-20 01:17 PM
    But you can do that all on a K1.
    01-27-20 01:25 PM
    Only if you resist Android Ecosystem temptation as has been explained by recovering Social Media junkies here.

I believe someone described it as equal to heroin and related addictions which I didn’t find humorist or realistic.
    01-27-20 01:33 PM
    That's the thing.... iOS or Android can do those things and more, without limitations.

I know some will say the flow isn't the same or that "they" can't be as productive. But the bottom line is many of the apps and services that are out there, do make jobs easier to do. There is nothing like Slack's productive with workmates..
    01-27-20 01:35 PM
    Only if you resist Android Ecosystem temptation as has been explained by recovering Social Media junkies here.

I believe someone described it as equal to heroin and related addictions which I didn’t find humorist or realistic.
    You are correct that it is not as equal to heroin or nicotine and related addictions, and it is not yet entered in the DSM, but research does compare it to gambling. In my eyes it can be a significant problem for many and should probably not be taken lightly: https://www.psychguides.com/behavior...-and-symptoms/
    01-27-20 01:40 PM
    You are correct that it is not as equal to heroin or nicotine and related addictions, and it is not yet entered in the DSM, but research does compare it to gambling. In my eyes it can be a significant problem for many and should probably not be taken lightly: https://www.psychguides.com/behavior...-and-symptoms/
    In that scenario, I don’t think switching to a BB10 phone truly would be solution as that’s like giving alcoholic something to drink old and/or expired but still containing some alcohol.
    01-27-20 01:48 PM
    I think point conite is making is that we’d be irresponsible suggesting BB10 to a never used BB10 person without the caveats that many complain as the anti-BB10 comments.

Just read the few posts from some new BB10 users about certain apps not being available or completely functional as on Android/iOS platforms. Too many prospects want to believe and then are disappointed.
    It's true that if someone came in blind, of course they would be shocked and disappointed but if someone did the research and made an informed decision I don't see why it would be a problem. Obviously you don't see advertisements for compatibility for iOS/Android and Blackberry, only the first two and that would be a big red flag to do the research to see if BB10 could work for them. And some people may want low cost alternatives and not be plugged into Google so intensely.

The cases to be made for newbies may be for the few but they can still be made.

01-27-20 01:53 PM
    In that scenario, I don’t think switching to a BB10 phone truly would be solution as that’s like giving alcoholic something to drink old and/or expired but still containing some alcohol.
    Some alcoholics may want to kick the habit(google) and this is an alternative for them

truth4u likes this.
    01-27-20 01:54 PM
    That's the thing.... iOS or Android can do those things and more, without limitations.

I know some will say the flow isn't the same or that "they" can't be as productive. But the bottom line is many of the apps and services that are out there, do make jobs easier to do. There is nothing like Slack's productive with workmates..
    As far as productivity I can only say at this point that the only advantage left here is the physical keyboard that let's me put my thoughts into digital text quicker and more efficiently then any slab of glass. The Passport's keyboard is unparalleled in my view for productivity.

01-27-20 01:57 PM
    Some alcoholics may want to kick the habit(google) and this is an alternative for them

LOL
    01-27-20 02:06 PM
    It's true that if someone came in blind, of course they would be shocked and disappointed but if someone did the research and made an informed decision I don't see why it would be a problem. Obviously you don't see advertisements for compatibility for iOS/Android and Blackberry, only the first two and that would be a big red flag to do the research to see if BB10 could work for them. And some people may want low cost alternatives and not be plugged into Google so intensely.

The cases to be made for newbies may be for the few but they can still be made.

All for newbies fully informed. The lack of full disclosure has always been the issue. Some replies are so zealous that some real neophytes don’t understand ART 4.3 or just run native. It’s not often, but it seems the person that can least afford the misunderstanding is the one that buys an old Classic and then can’t understand social media limitations or security ART limitations.

It’s as if people think recruiting new BB10 users is a cause that will avoid total annihilation of the platform. It will exist until it doesn’t.
    01-27-20 02:14 PM
    Hmnn dunno, sometimes it may be advantageous to wean yourself off slowly re: Methadone treatment. Who knows maybe a similar approach is needed here. I spend far, far less time on Reddit when I have my Passport in hand than I do with my android phone. Could go to a flip phone, I guess.

sorry - my reply to Chuck's post #269
    BTW, in no way am I saying I would recommend a BB10 device to anyone without complete disclosure of it's capabilities or lack thereof. I can, however, see occasions where a device such as this could be useful and do not dismiss it outright as some here may do.
    Last edited by brookie229; 01-27-20 at 02:34 PM.
    01-27-20 02:18 PM
296 ... 9101112