So how long should I be able to use my Leap for email, texts and standard browser searches? I have latest OS 10.3.3.
    Thanks
    Email will depend on your provider or company.... in general I don't see an issue here unless you have a company email.

Text... no issues I can see.

Standard Browser... that's been an issue for many for a while. There are other options out there, but how long they'll keep working will depend on the security changes. Just browsing basic sites, no problem. Banking or purchase sites... those might not work now or in the near future.
    12-03-19 01:48 PM
    Thanks
    BTW If eventually forced to abandon my Leap, which phone(assume android) has best available App with BB 10 keyboard (swipe delete & word flick) and Hub?
    12-04-19 06:44 AM
    Thanks
    BTW If eventually forced to abandon my Leap, which phone(assume android) has best available App with BB 10 keyboard (swipe delete & word flick) and Hub?
    There’s no BB10 with Android real switchover. There’s BBAndroid type features that have similarities to some BB10 functions but it’s different. BlackBerry left many Android features intact since their goal was to attract the Android users rather than BB10 users. Google also blocks some features since Android is theirs to decide.

There’s are some BB apps for other Android phones but the BB Keyboard is not an official version offered. That has to be sideloaded but can’t always be compatible as its not officially supported.
    12-04-19 06:56 AM
    There’s no BB10 with Android real switchover. There’s BBAndroid type features that have similarities to some BB10 functions but it’s different. BlackBerry left many Android features intact since their goal was to attract the Android users rather than BB10 users. Google also blocks some features since Android is theirs to decide.

There’s are some BB apps for other Android phones but the BB Keyboard is not an official version offered. That has to be sideloaded but can’t always be compatible as its not officially supported.
    I almost wonder if iOS with's it's gestures isn't a better switchover.

Either way it's a big jump from BB10 to something new.
    12-04-19 08:38 AM
    Now using Yubrowser for everyday web browsing and it has truly breathed life back into my Passport. Anyone that wants to enjoy their Passport again this is the best I've used to date for reliability, compatibility and reasonable speed given every page loads and your not waiting for a stalled slug.

From APK Mirror
    yubrowser_27430226

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    Google search doesnt result anything. Link pls

Classic is magic!
    12-04-19 08:47 AM
    Either way it's a big jump from BB10 to something new.
    Well it’s not as if this day wasn’t announced long ago.

I switched to BBAndroid only after using Android/iOS hardware in dual carry settings first since I couldn’t meet client demands with BBOS or BB10 in 2010 approximately. Before that, I dual carried BBOS and Windows Phone sometime or tethered a laptop.

I don’t have much sympathy left for people who refused to let go or at least familiarize themselves with Android/iOS by now.

I haven’t used Android 9 PIE or Android 10 so I can’t really compare with iOS 13 on my Apple devices.
    12-04-19 08:51 AM
    Yubrowser from Apkpure.com
    File info:

Attachment 446839
    Google search doesnt result anything. Link pls

Classic is magic!
    You will have to navigate to APKpure.com and search Yubrowser then start looking for older versions until you find one that has the same version numbers as displayed in the picture quoted above. Hope that helps.
    12-04-19 08:52 AM
    Well it’s not as if this day wasn’t announced long ago.

I switched to BBAndroid only after using Android/iOS hardware in dual carry settings first since I couldn’t meet client demands with BBOS or BB10 in 2010 approximately. Before that, I dual carried BBOS and Windows Phone sometime or tethered a laptop.

I don’t have much sympathy left for people who refused to let go or at least familiarize themselves with Android/iOS by now.

I haven’t used Android 9 PIE or Android 10 so I can’t really compare with iOS 13 on my Apple devices.
    I don't think sympathy is required but it's appreciated lol.
    I am very familiar with Android and used to be with iOS but I appreciate BB10 design still even with its shortcomings. It's still a joy to use if you can. Also the Passport's keyboard is just a slate of crack I can't kick.
    Like many say, "enjoy it while you can ".
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-04-19 08:58 AM
    I don't think sympathy is required but it's appreciated lol.
    I am very familiar with Android and used to be with iOS but I appreciate BB10 design still even with its shortcomings. It's still a joy to use if you can. Also the Passport's keyboard is just a slate of crack I can't kick.
    Like many say, "enjoy it while you can ".
    I definitely agree. Not to sound rude but when BBAndroid came out four years ago, I used to say this day will come and I was heavily criticized as trolling for saying that. Also told, people like me saying that, was just pushing to kill BB10 for BBAndroid or similar.

Many of us here said, might as well accept since it will be Android/iOS duopoly because in reality it already was.

I guess what I’m really saying is like Christmas, we all knew the day was coming so it’s not a surprise that requires last minute Christmas Eve shopping for your entire family and then complaining you’re stressed out and having problems.
    12-04-19 09:18 AM
    You will have to navigate to APKpure.com and search Yubrowser then start looking for older versions until you find one that has the same version numbers as displayed in the picture quoted above. Hope that helps.
    Thank you! Downloaded. Will test

Classic is magic!
    12-04-19 10:30 AM
    I definitely agree. Not to sound rude but when BBAndroid came out four years ago, I used to say this day will come and I was heavily criticized as trolling for saying that. Also told, people like me saying that, was just pushing to kill BB10 for BBAndroid or similar.

Many of us here said, might as well accept since it will be Android/iOS duopoly because in reality it already was.

I guess what I’m really saying is like Christmas, we all knew the day was coming so it’s not a surprise that requires last minute Christmas Eve shopping for your entire family and then complaining you’re stressed out and having problems.
    But some people love it that way.... as they'll do it year after year.

My view, is smartphones are just tools, and in the end I could use Android, or iOS. Right now iOS meets my needs best as that's what most my family uses and it has advantages. I liked BBOS and BB10 back in their day, but both fell behind and didn't meet my needs. I'm fully aware that some here can still use either OS, and that for some coming here wondering either might meet their needs as well. But they are like a drug ad on TV that has to spend more time telling you the possible negative factors....
    12-05-19 08:48 AM
    Thank you! Downloaded. Will test

Classic is magic!
    Fennec is working super smooth compared to kiwi or yubrowser. We need to just change configs from about:config as instructed in adapted android applications thread

Classic is magic!
    The_Passporter likes this.
    12-05-19 11:21 AM
    Fennec is working super smooth compared to kiwi or yubrowser. We need to just change configs from about:config as instructed in adapted android applications thread

Classic is magic!
    Ok so I do not like installing other stores cause I found that they could drain battery in the background, maybe not all but I'm not taking the chance again regardless.

I did finally manage to to find a version of Fennec @APK Mirror that would work on my Passport and it does seem to work well and yes the Passport does get a little warm but not terrible. I loaded all my websites that prove to be most difficult to load or navigate due to the page just not responding to on page selections or sign in for some sites.
    Coincidentally for the first time I did find one of those on page selection problems using Yubrowser. This only happened once and I am suspecting now that it is entirely possible that Fennec could have the same problem with a different website or page where Yubrowser may not.
    I have decided to continue testing of Fennec as my main browser for now and think that these two browsers would be essential to have on the Passport or BB10 since there aren't many other options.
    12-06-19 09:55 AM
    Ok so I do not like installing other stores cause I found that they could drain battery in the background, maybe not all but I'm not taking the chance again regardless.

I did finally manage to to find a version of Fennec @APK Mirror that would work on my Passport and it does seem to work well and yes the Passport does get a little warm but not terrible. I loaded all my websites that prove to be most difficult to load or navigate due to the page just not responding to on page selections or sign in for some sites.
    Coincidentally for the first time I did find one of those on page selection problems using Yubrowser. This only happened once and I am suspecting now that it is entirely possible that Fennec could have the same problem with a different website or page where Yubrowser may not.
    I have decided to continue testing of Fennec as my main browser for now and think that these two browsers would be essential to have on the Passport or BB10 since there aren't many other options.
    Good to know, pls keep us posted the updates

Classic is magic!
    12-06-19 10:22 AM
    I switched from Blackberry to Samsung but will be switching back shortly. Yes Samsung is great for running 1 or 2 media apps like YouTube or Twitter but as soon as you do that it will increase the amount of battery drain. My suggestion is to use a smartphone when you need to and a laptop or tablet when you don't need to use a phone.

Sure I can watch YouTube or NetFlix on the train, but why would I? Phones are great for conference calls, email and audio. They are also fairly useful for social media apps, especially if you are going to take a photo and then share it. But why are you sharing what you are eating for dinner or where you are at every moment of the day? Is it really worth the effort? Does anybody care?

We keep ourselves busy doing things that really don't make sense. Your question was what would you use a BB for beyond phone email and texting? My answer is that's exactly what you should use it for. Beyond that you could use it for more but why would you, unless you had absolutely no other alternative? If you had a S10+ or whatever, would you really use it like a tablet or laptop? If so why?
    truth4u likes this.
    12-06-19 10:53 AM

Classic is magic!
    Thx for the tip on that thread, I switched to the version offered in that thread and am now using and testing that. I learn something new every day in here.
    12-06-19 09:40 PM
    And I have no patience for those who continue to evangelize Android while ignoring its shortcomings.

Over the summer, I tried a Moto G and experienced the following:
    - almost daily updates of Google's shovelware apps - eating up all of my monthly data allotment in under a week.
    - voice mail did not work.
    - out-of-memory error messages, despite the fact that I had only three apps loaded and deleted all photos.

That's why I returned to my Q10. It just works.
    12-07-19 08:53 AM
    And I have no patience for those who continue to evangelize Android while ignoring its shortcomings.

Over the summer, I tried a Moto G and experienced the following:
    - almost daily updates of Google's shovelware apps - eating up all of my monthly data allotment in under a week.
    - voice mail did not work.
    - out-of-memory error messages, despite the fact that I had only three apps loaded and deleted all photos.

That's why I returned to my Q10. It just works.
    Sounds like you bought the cheapest Moto G you could find since you’ve described the memory issues. I have several cheap Android $40-$50 USD prepaid 8GB memory phones. That’s expected when 16GB-32GB is really minimum standard. In 2020, I’d go further and say 32GB only as minimum standard.

I’ve got 8-10 lines on my account which in total uses about 30GB/month average. So that’s 4-6GB month depending on user. All devices are now Android/iOS for reference.

You can set your device to update over WiFi only and you can turn data off and on as you need to further control usage.

Voicemail has nothing to do with Android since that’s a carrier function.

Look if the Q10 is doing it’s job great. My comment is about complaining when you’re on Android/iOS complaining it’s not BB10 so I agree, go back if still usable.
    12-07-19 09:06 AM
    Sounds like you bought the cheapest Moto G you could find since you’ve described the memory issues. I have several cheap Android $40-$50 USD prepaid 8GB memory phones. That’s expected when 16GB-32GB is really minimum standard. In 2020, I’d go further and say 32GB only as minimum standard.

I’ve got 8-10 lines on my account which in total uses about 30GB/month average. So that’s 4-6GB month depending on user. All devices are now Android/iOS for reference.

You can set your device to update over WiFi only and you can turn data off and on as you need to further control usage.

Voicemail has nothing to do with Android since that’s a carrier function.

Look if the Q10 is doing it’s job great. My comment is about complaining when you’re on Android/iOS complaining it’s not BB10 so I agree, go back if still usable.
    Sounds like you're blaming the user and are still in denial about Android.

The first action I took with the Moto was to set the device to update only over Wifi. The phone still ate up my data.

Oh, and I almost forgot...the Android's battery indicator would still show that the phone was charging even after being unplugged from the outlet. Rebooting the phone was the only way to get the indicator to show properly.

If expecting basic phone functions (like apps and voicemail) to work, then colour me a complainer.
    12-07-19 09:48 AM
    Sounds like you're blaming the user and are still in denial about Android.

The first action I took with the Moto was to set the device to update only over Wifi. The phone still ate up my data.

Oh, and I almost forgot...the Android's battery indicator would still show that the phone was charging even after being unplugged from the outlet. Rebooting the phone was the only way to get the indicator to show properly.

If expecting basic phone functions (like apps and voicemail) to work, then colour me a complainer.
    It doesn’t matter to me. I’ve used Android for 9-10 years now along with iOS for 5-6 years on various dual carry setups.

Telling me that voicemail is broken on Android is ridiculous since it’s not handled by Android itself. That’s simply a carrier provisioning issue. When switching devices, it happens.

As far as the device, three apps doesn’t fill a modern current Android phone. My AT&T KEYone has 32GB of memory with 306 installed apps sitting at 95% storage capacity. My BE KEYone has 64GB of memory with same number of apps installed sitting at roughly 50%.

With all the issues you’ve described it sounds like you bought a faulty device as it makes absolutely zero sense. It’s not like there’s not a BILLION Android users successfully using Android to prove this.

The data usage is expected because Android/iOS apps use data since they’re current and plentiful. There’s all kinds of ways to dial that usage down when you have to use Android/iOS one day.

If you know how to adjust your Android settings with experience and use it no differently than BB10 hardware, your data usage is similar.
    The Android/iOS devices can be as efficient as BB10 devices when doing similar tasks. Main difference is the BB10 hardware can’t do all the similar tasks newer Android/iOS hardware can do. By default, many data consumption services are turned on that most people use in 2019 like GPS and location services.

Again if BB10 can get it done for you, that’s awesome. Get back to me after BB10 server backend starts breaking down.

Look at most ardent BB10 supporters on here like @bb10adopter111 for topics like this. He lives on his Z10 and begrudgingly carries a KEYone and iPad for other usage. Tell him your story if you think I’m being too harsh.
    12-07-19 10:22 AM
    It doesn’t matter to me. I’ve used Android for 9-10 years now along with iOS for 5-6 years on various dual carry setups.

Telling me that voicemail is broken on Android is ridiculous since it’s not handled by Android itself. That’s simply a carrier provisioning issue. When switching devices, it happens.

As far as the device, three apps doesn’t fill a modern current Android phone. My AT&T KEYone has 32GB of memory with 306 installed apps sitting at 95% storage capacity. My BE KEYone has 64GB of memory with same number of apps installed sitting at roughly 50%.

With all the issues you’ve described it sounds like you bought a faulty device as it makes absolutely zero sense. It’s not like there’s not a BILLION Android users successfully using Android to prove this.

The data usage is expected because Android/iOS apps use data since they’re current and plentiful. There’s all kinds of ways to dial that usage down when you have to use Android/iOS one day.

If you know how to adjust your Android settings with experience and use it no differently than BB10 hardware, your data usage is similar.
    The Android/iOS devices can be as efficient as BB10 devices when doing similar tasks. Main difference is the BB10 hardware can’t do all the similar tasks newer Android/iOS hardware can do. By default, many data consumption services are turned on that most people use in 2019 like GPS and location services.

Again if BB10 can get it done for you, that’s awesome. Get back to me after BB10 server backend starts breaking down.

Look at most ardent BB10 supporters on here like @bb10adopter111 for topics like this. He lives on his Z10 and begrudgingly carries a KEYone and iPad for other usage. Tell him your story if you think I’m being too harsh.
    Since you mentioned me...

My perspective is that there are certain inherent Android limitations that can't be overcome:

1) the app-based notification architecture limits the user's ability to control interruptions at a granular level. . Individual apps can offer unlimited different classes of notifications, but the user can only select on/off/priority for each one, and cannot set different notification overrides by contact for each communication type, as in BB10. BB10 has fewer notification categories per app, but almost unlimited flexibility to create custom notification profiles and configure notifications by contact and communication type in the Hub. Even with third party apps, Android can't manage that. The result is that, for practical purposes, the only control a user has to tame the notification tray is to turn off most notifications altogether, even if they might be a particular contact on a particular app that you'd like to allow to notify you in some contexts. (For example, when I'm in a client meeting, the only interruptions I want to allow is a notification from my two co-founders via email or an SMS from my wife. All other emails and SMS messages should be silenced and not appear in the notification tray. BB10 can do that. Android cannot.)

2) Control over personal information. The only way to protect your privacy on Android is with a custom ROM, which, obviously, BlackBerry does not support. The best alternative on Android is to use an alias with your carrier and to avoid all use of Google services, which isn't practical for most users. There are degrees of awful when it comes to how much Android violates your privacy, and you certainly can manage the mist egregious, but Android has commercial surveillance as a core part of its app and services architecture.

3) Short life cycles for apps and hardware. You're lucky to buy an Android phone that receives three years of OS upgrades. Finding one that will last five or more years (easy with BB10 or Apple) is almost impossible.

Obviously, Android offers compensatory benefits. It has a huge ecosystem of apps, media and games, and it offers many customization options. Ultimately each user should decide what is most valuable to them.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    anon(8946998) likes this.
    12-07-19 11:37 AM
    Just installed YuBrowser. Will try it out. I also have Fennec installed, it works well but I find the phone gets a little hot using it, anyone else having this issue or is this normal? Thanks,

Posted via my Passport
    I managed to get Fennec browser from another thread in here and it is working as good if not better then Yubrowser. Not sure if it's faster but I'm very impressed with this versions ability to render webpages properly. I am now using it full time as my default browser.
    I would like to make a note that note every browser is flawless as I have had Fennec freeze and Yubrowser has once failed with on a webpage selection where Fennec shined through. I think having both of these browsers on BB10 is essential and whichever you choose to be your main, you may not be as fast as modern phones today but you can at least get through the everyday.

/blackberry-10-os-f269/adapted-android-applications-tips-tricks-1173929-post13458531/

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 12-08-19 at 07:49 AM.
    12-07-19 04:51 PM
    Your question was what would you use a BB for beyond phone email and texting? My answer is that's exactly what you should use it for.
    Your use cases for your smartphone are your own, and just as you wouldn't want other people trying to tell you how you should use your phone, neither should you presume to tell others how to use theirs.

Clearly a lot of people find value in using their phones for things that you find frivolous or unnecessary, but it isn't your place (or mine) to say that they're wrong. The fact is that it is you who are the outlier with your limited use case, not the people you mentioned.
    12-07-19 05:26 PM
    I switched from Blackberry to Samsung but will be switching back shortly. Yes Samsung is great for running 1 or 2 media apps like YouTube or Twitter but as soon as you do that it will increase the amount of battery drain. My suggestion is to use a smartphone when you need to and a laptop or tablet when you don't need to use a phone.

Sure I can watch YouTube or NetFlix on the train, but why would I? Phones are great for conference calls, email and audio. They are also fairly useful for social media apps, especially if you are going to take a photo and then share it. But why are you sharing what you are eating for dinner or where you are at every moment of the day? Is it really worth the effort? Does anybody care?

We keep ourselves busy doing things that really don't make sense. Your question was what would you use a BB for beyond phone email and texting? My answer is that's exactly what you should use it for. Beyond that you could use it for more but why would you, unless you had absolutely no other alternative? If you had a S10+ or whatever, would you really use it like a tablet or laptop? If so why?
    How about the business apps that people swore by for productivity in the old days of BBOS when, at least in my industry, companies were supporting the platform. When Android/iOS came out, the support migrated from BBOS to add support for Android/iOS devices. For 3-4 years I could do everything on my BBOS hardware that Android/iOS users could do but that degraded towards latter part of time frame. Eventually I had to dual carry for many things as BBOS lost support.

As BB10 was introduced at beginning of 2013, it had less of an ecosystem than BBOS had even then. But you’re saying I shouldn’t have been using my BBOS hardware from 2003-2013 with it’s features, benefits and ecosystem beyond phone calls, texting and emails. That’s like people would tell me a phone was for just phone calls and texting and emails weren’t necessary. Only kids were texting and laptops were appropriate for email on the road.
    12-07-19 05:40 PM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    12-07-19 06:36 PM
296 ... 678910 ...