Haha... Our "boxes of components" still fit ATT Bolds. Interchangeability is a wondrous thing! Ask Eli Whitney... Lol.

Thanks to BIS saf revenues, Bolds could be intended for the LOoooong haul! In fact, BB risked attrition to other platforms when users were forced from the existing hardware they were accustomed to. No need to design planned obsolescence into the hardware... Keep that familiar experience in the users' hand and generate revenue thru BIS/BES saf, was obviously RIM's philosophy.

My dual carry Bold/Classic combo has largely been displaced by Bold/Key combo. I miss the Classic but Bold carries most typing & editing heavy lifting. Bold was always better at that than Classic anyway. Key does the "android thing" nicely. It even opens doors at Hampton Inn!! Lol.

Also, miniature desktop bluetooth mouse does a surprisingly good job of pointer pointing on Key. Fwiw.
    10-04-19 01:56 PM
    It is absolutely fine for me, especially with a second device such as a tablet at home or laptop. I leave my Galaxy S7 Edge at home on wifi with an app that sends my notifications to my Blackberry Classic via email. Luckily, my bank's app (apk) still works perfectly fine on BB10. LinkedIn works in the native browser, other sites need Firefox but are ok. In my high school everyone used Hangouts so I used Google Talk and had to fire up Firefox for groups, but in college everything is on email or sms. Calls, texts, emails are great. I read the news in my email inbox, and use the native weather and maps app daily. I'm tracking my steps with Health for BlackBerry and listening to tunes on FM radio in the music app.

Eventually I'd be interested in a KEY3 when it's no longer viable for me, but in the meantime it works great.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    10-04-19 02:02 PM
    Like @bb10adopter111 says repeatedly for his Z10, it does what BB is known for best and he uses other technology now for the other stuff or does without. “I’m paraphrasing” so no disrespect to anyone.
    No worries, you've characterized my attitude perfectly. I'm a polytechnologist who like to get the best out of all my gear by focusing on strengths rather than weaknesses.

The corollary to my attitude about BB10 is my attitude towards Android, which is that it's super convenient for tons of little things but crappy when it comes to protecting my privacy, so I do my best to obfuscate my real identity on the device and use lots of convenient apps with my aliases. My name is not attached to the device. AT&T knows it's my business, but the user is a made up employee. Google similarly has a completely different alias assigned to the phone, and that alias downloads apps from Google.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-19 05:35 PM
    I know that I've beat this drum before but my Passport does just fine. Phone calls, email and text is primarily what I use it for. My browser works great, better if I turn off cookies. Maps is stilll rocking but I also have a Garmin in each of our vehicles. As far as apps go, very few. I have an android tablet (without goolge) if I really need an app to run something.
    I go back to 5810 days with BlackBerry on Voicestream. All that thing did was email, text and phone calls and yet somehow we managed to build empires with it. It's what got me hooked on PKB's. Smartphone users today are spoiled brats in terms of expectations. Apps on phones are merely for sucking up user stats and data from you to sell to the highest bidder. Most people these days don't seem to care but that's how they have marketed and sold and conditioned you on free apps. The rest of you were ducked in on socila media. How many of you would freak out if they lost their smart phone and just couldn't manage to be productive?
    Wake up people.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 06:19 PM
    I know that I've beat this drum before but my Passport does just fine. Phone calls, email and text is primarily what I use it for. My browser works great, better if I turn off cookies. Maps is stilll rocking but I also have a Garmin in each of our vehicles. As far as apps go, very few. I have an android tablet (without goolge) if I really need an app to run something.
    I go back to 5810 days with BlackBerry on Voicestream. All that thing did was email, text and phone calls and yet somehow we managed to build empires with it. It's what got me hooked on PKB's. Smartphone users today are spoiled brats in terms of expectations. Apps on phones are merely for sucking up user stats and data from you to sell to the highest bidder. Most people these days don't seem to care but that's how they have marketed and sold and conditioned you on free apps. The rest of you were ducked in on socila media. How many of you would freak out if they lost their smart phone and just couldn't manage to be productive?
    Wake up people.

Posted via CB10
    Well that doesn't sound very opinionated..........

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    10-04-19 07:36 PM
    Well that doesn't sound very opinionated..........

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    YES! Somebody's listening, finally.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 07:48 PM
    Wake up people.

Posted via CB10
    But outdated in 2019 regarding the need for ecosystems to get things done for many
    10-04-19 08:12 PM
    Wake up people.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree more. Thank you for standing for the truth.

Typed on my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition

Posted via CB10
    10-05-19 11:36 AM
    I couldn't agree more. Thank you for standing for the truth.

Typed on my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition

Posted via CB10
    What’s truth exactly? The point of thread is how to keep BB10 devices usable beyond email, calls and text? How do you complete internet tasks required to exist in society? Many daily tasks are pushed through applications designed by taking advantage of Android/iOS ecosystems.
    10-05-19 01:41 PM
    What’s truth exactly? The point of thread is how to keep BB10 devices usable beyond email, calls and text? How do you complete internet tasks required to exist in society? Many daily tasks are pushed through applications designed by taking advantage of Android/iOS ecosystems.
    Truth regarding how both iOS and Android systems suck our data and make millions off of us. I realize that many of us have to have certain applications for business and personal purposes but that doesn't mean we have to have these applications on our phone? Why can't we we have tablet that runs on wi-fi that can give us these applications instead ?

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-05-19 02:00 PM
    Truth regarding how both iOS and Android systems suck our data and make millions off of us. I realize that many of us have to have certain applications for business and personal purposes but that doesn't mean we have to have these applications on our phone? Why can't we we have tablet that runs on wi-fi that can give us these applications instead ?

Posted via CB10
    You can. Buy a dumb phone and a tablet.
    10-05-19 02:29 PM
    I just read (listened to) a couple dozen articles from major newspapers on a long drive with the native BlackBerry Browser in Reader Mode with the built in Text-to-Speech.

100% stock BB10.

==========
    Composed and edited on the exceptional BlackBerry VKB on my trusty Z10. Any typographic errors, misspells, or grammatical errors are likely due to my inattention and lack of interest in word-perfect communications on an Internet tech fan forum.
    bbfanfan and Farzeen25 like this.
    10-05-19 02:30 PM
    You can. Buy a dumb phone and a tablet.
    Already have both.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-19 02:33 PM
    Already have both.

Posted via CB10
    There ya go!

Trust me, I’ve thought about it. I just find too much usefulness having a smartphone in my pocket. I’m not hurt by any information gathering, in many ways it helps me. It’s just a personal choice.
    10-05-19 02:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can remove any apps or trackers you wish on Android. You can lock it down entirely if you want.
    10-05-19 02:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sure we can. I have a WiFi only iPad and even a mobile data enabled iPad from my carrier. What does that have to do with carrying my iPhone though? If you don’t use the apps on an iPhone then it doesn’t use data or give up the same level of information.

The point of thread is how will people keep BB10 going and has it become harder or even impossible to not have some kind of Android/iOS secondary device?
    10-05-19 02:49 PM
    Sure we can. I have a WiFi only iPad and even a mobile data enabled iPad from my carrier. What does that have to do with carrying my iPhone though? If you don’t use the apps on an iPhone then it doesn’t use data or give up the same level of information.

The point of thread is how will people keep BB10 going and has it become harder or even impossible to not have some kind of Android/iOS secondary device?
    I understand what you are saying, absolutely. I have an iPhone and iPad, for personal use, AND as an IT Consultant, I have a second phone line for business on my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition BECAUSE it does a heck a lot better job than Android and Apple with documents, Adobe pdf files, Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc. Hope this answers your questions.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-19 02:58 PM
    Usable banking app is just too important for me. But my passport SE for everyday normal use is just fine.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-19 03:05 PM
    Usable banking app is just too important for me. But my passport SE for everyday normal use is just fine.

Posted via CB10
    So going back to OP, what’s your solution? Going without your money required needs or separate device of sorts? ;-)
    10-05-19 03:38 PM
    I understand what you are saying, absolutely. I have an iPhone and iPad, for personal use, AND as an IT Consultant, I have a second phone line for business on my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition BECAUSE it does a heck a lot better job than Android and Apple with documents, Adobe pdf files, Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc. Hope this answers your questions.

Posted via CB10
    It does partially, as I did that for years. I’m also wondering if people are using native apps only like docs to go or are you using apks?
    10-05-19 03:44 PM
    It does partially, as I did that for years. I’m also wondering if people are using native apps only like docs to go or are you using apks?
    I only use 3 APK apps and the rest are native to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-19 03:48 PM
    I only use 3 APK apps and the rest are native to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    List if you would please, as I think it would be helpful to others before EOY BBW shutdown. Especially, the apks too as those solutions will become necessary after BBW shutdown for whatever conite, TT and others won’t be able to immortalize somewhere.
    10-05-19 03:55 PM
    Absolutely. Firefox browser, Yalp store and Magicjack that has my Canadian phone number on it.

Posted via CB10
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    10-05-19 04:05 PM
    I'm actually using an extra phone just for banking stuff. Everything else I'm using my Passport SE. I do even compose my blogs at workwide. I just super love that app!

Posted via CB10
    Chuck Finley69 and elfabio80 like this.
    10-05-19 04:06 PM
    I'm actually using an extra phone just for banking stuff. Everything else I'm using my Passport SE. I do even compose my blogs at workwide. I just super love that app!

Posted via CB10
    And honestly a lot of people here are so dramatic over anything BB10. Like if you want apps (and your BlackBerry phone to stay), go do some research and experiment on it. If they're not working, delete. Use the browser instead or get an extra phone. But I'm seriously thankful that my SE is just too perf. I mean, the battery is fine. And there's this FB business group here in the middle east selling good cases with prints for Blackberry devices. So anytime I want a new case with print, I can just whatsapp them and customise it for me. :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-05-19 04:15 PM
296 12345 ...