At the risk of derailing the thread, I know you said you wanted a cheap 1:1 screen and a pkb, but can you elaborate on why you prefer a BB10 device over, say, a Galaxy S5 running LineageOS?

Seems like a LineageOS device would give you a lot more freedom to tinker and tweak the software to do exactly what you want, whereas BB10 is more restrictive.
    Pkb integrated into the chassis is a requirement for me. I have zombie fingers and have to pop out paragraph email replies 24/7/365.25... so lugging around a keyboard is a no go for me. On the wife's iphone, I get about 20wpm. On passport, I get about 40-50wpm. (Model M I do about 80-100wpm...)

My next device will be a Gemini PDA, the other Linux PDA (name eludes me at the moment.), or Titan + LineageOS (or /e/ or any one of the Linux offshoots like PostmarketOS ). In the mean time, I spent $160 for my Passport in 2017, short of a screen crack or a blown battery, I can probably get 3-5 more years out of it. Bang for the buck... But yes, BlackBerry's locked bootloader is my biggest pet peeve with the device.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-19 04:24 PM
    I believe that BB10 was and remains the most secure mobile OS on the market. I have what I view as compelling evidence to support that belief.
    I, for one, have not seen this compelling evidence. Would you care to summarize it or point me in the direction of the relevant threads?
    10-03-19 04:46 PM
    Pkb integrated into the chassis is a requirement for me. I have zombie fingers and have to pop out paragraph email replies 24/7/365.25... so lugging around a keyboard is a no go for me. On the wife's iphone, I get about 20wpm. On passport, I get about 40-50wpm. (Model M I do about 80-100wpm...)

My next device will be a Gemini PDA, the other Linux PDA (name eludes me at the moment.), or Titan + LineageOS (or /e/ or any one of the Linux offshoots like PostmarketOS ). In the mean time, I spent $160 for my Passport in 2017, short of a screen crack or a blown battery, I can probably get 3-5 more years out of it. Bang for the buck... But yes, BlackBerry's locked bootloader is my biggest pet peeve with the device.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose a locked bootloader can be a blessing or a curse, depending on what you want to do.

If it's locked, your device is that much more secure should it fall into unfriendly (and tech savvy) hands.

That's the one reservation I have with going all-in with the LineageOS approach, despite the privacy gains. If you can unlock and root it, so can someone else.
    10-03-19 05:22 PM
    It's certainly true that after using a more modern device, going back to a BB10 phone seems punishingly slow - even for simple tasks.
    There are simple tasks and...more simple tasks.
    I see no difference in speed when I work with emails, make phone calls and use Telegram on Passport.
    With my limited set of apps there are just two that really slow me down on the Passport: Evernote and Kindle. The former takes longer (vs modern Android) time to start and to open attachments, the latter became sluggish after I downloaded over 60 books.
    Browser can irritate, of course... but I use browser just for reading long articles and always in Reader mode. More comfortable for my eyes then on larger Samsung screen and scrolling (phone turned counter clockwise, keyboard under right thumb) is more convenient for me.
    And calculator is as fast as ever!
    10-03-19 05:33 PM
    I am very impressed by the lengths to which some (TrumpetTiger!!) are willing to go to configure older Android apps on BB10 devices.

But I couldn't do it.

However, I definitely enjoy using my BB10 phone as a daily driver with an (almost) stock set of apps. (CB, BPod, and Kindle from BlackBerry World are the only apps that I have installed).

I have fooled around with some of the Android apps (old and, in some cases, patched for BB10), and I found the decrease in phone responsiveness and battery life to be no bueno for me

So here is what I can do easily and pleasurably on my Z10:

- CB
    - Email (6 accounts: Consumer Gmail, GSuite, Outlook.com, Cloud Exchange, Fastmail)
    - Calendar (4 accounts: consumer Gmail, GSuite, Outlook.com, Cloud Exchange)
    - Contacts ((4 accounts: consumer Gmail, GSuite, Outlook.com, Cloud Exchange)
    - Remember Tasks (synced with Outlook.com and MS Cloud Exchange)
    - Remember Notes (synced with Cloud Exchange)
    - BPod podcasts
    - Downloaded FLAC audio and mp4 video files
    - BlackBerry native browser for reading dozens of news and other text-based sites using the excellent reader mode
    - Kindle books
    - SMS
    - BBM
    - Phone

The above constitutes 90+ % of all my smartphone use, and I couldn't be happier with BB10 as my primary OS.

For the other 10%, I'm happy to double carry my KEYone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 10-04-19 at 11:13 AM.
    10-03-19 06:48 PM
    Hey, Chuck, I didn't bother to read all of the posts, but for me I don't think it's really usable as a daily driver these days due to issues with the following apps:
    1) banking apps
    2) Google Hangouts, which we use extensively at work; more importantly it's a critical tool when I'm on vacation for keeping my co-workers able to support a few legacy systems on which I'm the Old Fart Who Still Knows the System
    I agree regarding my usability as well but I’d like to hear the ways that remaining BB10 daily manage to do so..
    10-03-19 07:15 PM
    .short answer yes. Everyday.

Played with a bunch of up to date droids, and apples faster yes.....extremely faster...maybe,maybe not. Likeable usability from my perspective NO.....ads? WTFacebook? Its like every morning all morning,the paper boy flops the local bundled newspaper flyer between you and your doc. IF I get a page in a stock browser with bizarrely designed CSS or the like that renders badly....I just view source (VS:https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...8/www.......in the stock browser) and look for the link and surgically cut and paste the link i want in a new tab and or bookmark it, if i need it down the road again. You do kind of have to know what you are looking for though Over the top (post html5.0 rendering) Doesn't happen often, and it stopped happening on some sites. I'm guessing users are complaining to the Company that owns the chic-e-chic designed site (Google Chrome extensions??) that their edge is bleeding all over their potential customers useability on older phones, pc's and tablets...not just BB10's I would gather. Html 5.0 does most (or is that all?) of what you need....what are they edge-bleeding for? in going beyond that, I haven't looked into yet and probably don't care.....I was happy when Web pages were only html coded, no javascript, no CSS, no embedded nothin....except images and playable video..man they were lightening fast on slower internet connections than now. If you are designing a 3d sci-fi movie knock yourselves out with the special effects....if you just wander over to see Google hangouts (does anyone even bother anyways?) ...then what's with the extra junk that makes it unusuable to older devices? It's just plain nonsense.
    ooops I ranted.
    Curious though about the wild routes some web page requests take....and how long between hops they are occuring occasionally....nothing to do with the processing capability of the phone itself though it appears but rather the monkeys in the middle....or internet providers somewhere between here and there.
    10-03-19 08:35 PM
    short answer yes. Everyday BB10 It's just plain nonsense.
    ooops I ranted..
    This is what I got after Captain Morgan and i had a serious in depth conversation. ;-D
    Nathan Snyder likes this.
    10-03-19 08:48 PM
    This is what I got after Captain Morgan and i had a serious in depth conversation. ;-D
    Does this have anything to do with that horse ship that sailed thread? You never know, whenever Cap'n Morgan gets on his ship .....a few tiles go missing....and some are out of order
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...agical.svg.png
    10-03-19 08:59 PM
    What BB10 hardware is still truly usable beyond email, phone calls and texting? More importantly, how?
    Could you summarize and give examples of what "every day tasks are to you?"
    10-04-19 08:48 AM
    I, for one, have not seen this compelling evidence. Would you care to summarize it or point me in the direction of the relevant threads?
    It was at one time, circa 2013, but no longer is the case. As secure in some instances but not more.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-04-19 09:24 AM
    And to Chuck's post, no. It's something to get out and enjoy and recall the fun times but it's pretty much unusable for day-to-day tasks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-19 09:25 AM
    My Keyone is in a drawer at home and I am not missing it one iota. This Q10 is what I use for the most part and works well for me, but I don't use many apps, even on my Keyone.
    Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 09:43 AM
    My Keyone is in a drawer at home and I am not missing it one iota. This Q10 is what I use for the most part and works well for me, but I don't use many apps, even on my Keyone.
    Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    So, to follow up on Chuck's question, would you say you mostly use it for email, texting, and phone calls? Or are there other things you find it does in a better way for you too?
    10-04-19 09:47 AM
    If I may put my five cents worth in, I will say that for me BB10 (not to sideline into BBOS & my 99) does things "better" simply because word productivity is what I need.
    & BB10 is attached to a best ever for word productivity PKB -- which for my uses is the Classic (though I've not used a Priv, a PP or a Key2). Miles ahead of my KEYone

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    10-04-19 10:40 AM
    If I may put my five cents worth in, I will say that for me BB10 (not to sideline into BBOS & my 99) does things "better" simply because word productivity is what I need.
    & BB10 is attached to a best ever for word productivity PKB -- which for my uses is the Classic (though I've not used a Priv, a PP or a Key2). Miles ahead of my KEYone

Posted via CB10
    That's 6¢ worth. Post stricken from the record. Lol.
    10-04-19 10:50 AM
    So, to follow up on Chuck's question, would you say you mostly use it for email, texting, and phone calls? Or are there other things you find it does in a better way for you too?
    I use it for the above... music, exercise tracking... the weather network and environment Canada radar actually load faster on this Q10. The calender, calculator are better on bb10.and then there is the compact size of this thing

Posted via CB10
    conite likes this.
    10-04-19 11:21 AM
    I use it for the above... music, exercise tracking... the weather network and environment Canada radar actually load faster on this Q10. The calender, calculator are better on bb10.and then there is the compact size of this thing

Posted via CB10
    Good point! I do like the calendar on my Q20 better than any other phone I own. Have not noticed how quick radar weather is but that probably says enough. The FM radio is excellent. Not sure it's better than the one on my KEY but it might be. It is for certain way better than the FM radio on my 8Plus

And while we are at it, moving the cursor through fields of text with the trackpad on my Classic* is far & away a better experience than moving a cursor on any Android I own.. And yep better than the slow & clumsy KEY cursor methods as well. Lastly, yes, better than the iOS on-keyboard arrangement

*I do realise this isn't exclusive to BB10, nor all devices using BB10, but this is my UX about what makes BB10 better.
    Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 12:37 PM
    That's 6¢ worth. Post stricken from the record. Lol.
    Haha! I best splash for a dime @ this point

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 12:38 PM
    Good point! I do like the calendar on my Q20 better than any other phone I own. Have not noticed how quick radar weather is but that probably says enough. The FM radio is excellent. Not sure it's better than the one on my KEY but it might be. It is for certain way better than the FM radio on my 8Plus

And while we are at it, moving the cursor through fields of text with the trackpad on my Classic* is far & away a better experience than moving a cursor on any Android I own.. And yep better than the slow & clumsy KEY cursor methods as well. Lastly, yes, better than the iOS on-keyboard arrangement

*I do realise this isn't exclusive to BB10, nor all devices using BB10, but this is my UX about what makes BB10 better.
    Posted via CB10
    Doesn't the Classic also sport an actual mouse pointer that you can move with the trackpad when using the stock browser? Its usefulness cannot be overstated!
    10-04-19 12:49 PM
    Precisely. We have all grown accustomed to smearing our fingers all over a screen, but that in itself is merely a technical convention . It is not necessarily superior.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 12:57 PM
    Could you summarize and give examples of what "every day tasks are to you?"
    Beyond the emails, calls and texts, I rely on multiple financial services and investment services apps for my independent practice. I also use similar apps to support my volunteer activities with our children school and sports activities. Somewhere here on CB, I detailed more but essentially, all require minimum 5.0 and 6.0 for security reasons.

Even my official email address requires O365 with the security protocols set by the independent companies themselves. I can use the hub for some but not all because of this, even with the KEYones running BBAndroid since ultimately some vendors require the Outlook app for whatever reason. Since my email has to be archived for regulators, this creates even more hurdles.

I’ve dual carried for years but I recently activated dual eSIM iPhone XR capabilities since WFC requires carrier sold and supported hardware. That’s part of what started this particular thread. I’m still dual-carrying at least one KEYone and tethering via mobile hotspot as I adjust. It reminded me of the old days.

Since I’m tethering, why not dual carry BB10 instead of BBAndroid was part of my thought process. My Z3 and Q5 hardware couldn’t handle stuff via internet as well as KEYones unfortunately. It got me thinking about the last BB10 device I actually dual carried actively, the carrier sold and supported AT&T Passport which had been like three years ago which the AT&T PRIV eventually replaced.

I almost bought an SE 12-18 months ago when prices had dropped reasonably for hobby use. I missed out with a seller on eBay and forgot about. When I saw the asking list recently, I laughed since I’m only using as hobby. That’s when I recently found out the AT&T Passport is the carrier sold and supported version of the SE everyone raves about. Since I’ve been there and done that, I was curious what others really do. I know the Z3 and Q5 weren’t optimal in 2019 but I’ve seen longtime BB10 supporters admit recently about using Android/iOS for limited tasks. Rather than start another flaming thread or grave dancing as I’m known to do, I’m curious what happens after 12/31/2019 just from hardware deprecating.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-19 12:58 PM
    I’m curious what happens after 12/31/2019 just from hardware deprecating.
    Well, we've all seen that post from BlackBerry that they put up at the end of July. "Today, we can proudly say that we are extending that commitment and will continue to support critical infrastructure and services for BB10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond the end of 2019."
    So let's wait & see.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 01:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    To your point about the 8plus and Key#, are you only using the BB10 hardware for the original basics that we all did in the beginning?

Like @bb10adopter111 says repeatedly for his Z10, it does what BB is known for best and he uses other technology now for the other stuff or does without. “I’m paraphrasing” so no disrespect to anyone.
    10-04-19 01:05 PM
    Well, we've all seen that post from BlackBerry that they put up at the end of July. "Today, we can proudly say that we are extending that commitment and will continue to support critical infrastructure and services for BB10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond the end of 2019."
    So let's wait & see.

Posted via CB10
    I mean from the user end. My Z3 and Q5 are practically dead now since the specs are 1/4 to 1/2 of 10/20/30 series.

Even a Key2 is worthless today if the battery is no good and one can’t find a replacement to be swapped out. The older devices have other less common type of components going bad. Look how @idssteve company have boxes of components to swap out. Even then, switching carriers for BIS getting pulled on VZW for instance.
    10-04-19 01:07 PM
296 1234 ...