This is a serious question. Many here know that I’ve long moved on from BB10 and before that BBOS was left behind for me. About 18-24 months ago, I fired up the old BBOS AT&T 9860 for some fun as third line. It was fun to make phone calls, text and email like the old days. For about five minutes. The reality of limited slow internet wasn’t fun and I’d use occasionally but that’s it.

I’ve always carried two Factory Unlocked BB10 devices that I could use on WiFi or drop a SIM into for some kind of emergency. Both devices, Z3 and Q5, were still usable three years ago. I had long ago switched from Passport to PRIV to DTEK to KEYone as my daily use hardware.

Over the last two years, I would fire up the Z3 and Q5 on WiFi but it really was for CB10 use only. I’d feel bad yet remember how I couldn’t use the Passport for daily tasks alone. I used both for a week in July wondering if perhaps I was being too hard on BB10 users. I got busy and put them back in my emergency technology bag and did my daily life.

For the last 36 hours, I’ve been prepping and updating some things on my daily use dual eSIM XR and KEYones that have been relegated to WiFi only status. I had the Z3 and Q5 our for CB10 fun. I needed to check some things and message the wife etc. All my Android/iOS technology was either charging, updating or tasking something at that moment.

I opened the browsers on the Z3 and Q5 and tried searching things up. Installed compatible version of TextNow after realizing this wasn’t simple anymore.
    The website not reachable errors and slow broken links were horrible. Text message sent via TextNow showed up pretty quick but 10-30 second delay with each typed command wasn’t doable.

Literally, not figuratively, the ART 4.3 isn’t usable anymore. The factory browser isn’t really much better. Now in all fairness, these are the Z3 and Q5, so the bottom of BB10 hardware ever sold. Both were running last version of whatever OTA BB10 updates, 10.2.1 and 10.3.2 came through respectively. Keep in mind, I didn’t install 10.3.3 using autoloaders on either device simply because it’s not that important to me.

Sorry for TL;DR but I wanted to set the stage if you will... Since we’re in the final 90 days of published official BB support with the remaining additional 30 seconds to 30 years of implied BB support (that’s for you ( @conite and @TrumpetTiger ),

What BB10 hardware is still truly usable beyond email, phone calls and texting? More importantly, how? Only the Passport with it’s 3/32 setup and 801 chip? Some of you think you can tweak a Classic or Q10 better than others? Not forgetting my Z friends here with the Leap and Z30 either. There’s even couple of my good Z10 friends here with six batteries in their go bag ( I’m looking at you @bb10adopter111 ) or so you get the point.

I didn’t start this for arguments so I remind everybody I can do that on any BB10 thread here when I want to grave dance. Not the point of this particular thread. Not looking to complain about the lack of Android/iOS different alternatives. We’ve discussed the problems forever on here. What are the solutions for people to keep their respective BB10 hardware choices operating as the future gets closer?

Yes, even I can be serious 3-4 times per year...
    10-03-19 09:58 AM
    This is a serious question. Many here know that I’ve long moved on from BB10 and before that BBOS was left behind for me. About 18-24 months ago, I fired up the old BBOS AT&T 9860 for some fun as third line. It was fun to make phone calls, text and email like the old days. For about five minutes. The reality of limited slow internet wasn’t fun and I’d use occasionally but that’s it.

I’ve always carried two Factory Unlocked BB10 devices that I could use on WiFi or drop a SIM into for some kind of emergency. Both devices, Z3 and Q5, were still usable three years ago. I had long ago switched from Passport to PRIV to DTEK to KEYone as my daily use hardware.

Over the last two years, I would fire up the Z3 and Q5 on WiFi but it really was for CB10 use only. I’d feel bad yet remember how I couldn’t use the Passport for daily tasks alone. I used both for a week in July wondering if perhaps I was being too hard on BB10 users. I got busy and put them back in my emergency technology bag and did my daily life.

For the last 36 hours, I’ve been prepping and updating some things on my daily use dual eSIM XR and KEYones that have been relegated to WiFi only status. I had the Z3 and Q5 our for CB10 fun. I needed to check some things and message the wife etc. All my Android/iOS technology was either charging, updating or tasking something at that moment.

I opened the browsers on the Z3 and Q5 and tried searching things up. Installed compatible version of TextNow after realizing this wasn’t simple anymore.
    The website not reachable errors and slow broken links were horrible. Text message sent via TextNow showed up pretty quick but 10-30 second delay with each typed command wasn’t doable.

Literally, not figuratively, the ART 4.3 isn’t usable anymore. The factory browser isn’t really much better. Now in all fairness, these are the Z3 and Q5, so the bottom of BB10 hardware ever sold. Both were running last version of whatever OTA BB10 updates, 10.2.1 and 10.3.2 came through respectively. Keep in mind, I didn’t install 10.3.3 using autoloaders on either device simply because it’s not that important to me.

Sorry for TL;DR but I wanted to set the stage if you will... Since we’re in the final 90 days of published official BB support with the remaining additional 30 seconds to 30 years of implied BB support (that’s for you ( @conite and @TrumpetTiger ),

What BB10 hardware is still truly usable beyond email, phone calls and texting? More importantly, how? Only the Passport with it’s 3/32 setup and 801 chip? Some of you think you can tweak a Classic or Q10 better than others? Not forgetting my Z friends here with the Leap and Z30 either. There’s even couple of my good Z10 friends here with six batteries in their go bag ( I’m looking at you @bb10adopter111 ) or so you get the point.

I didn’t start this for arguments so I remind everybody I can do that on any BB10 thread here when I want to grave dance. Not the point of this particular thread. Not looking to complain about the lack of Android/iOS different alternatives. We’ve discussed the problems forever on here. What are the solutions for people to keep their respective BB10 hardware choices operating as the future gets closer?

Yes, even I can be serious 3-4 times per year...
    Chuck, I want you to know that I respect your post and your thread, and that this kind of thing (avoiding arguments) is the type of thing I have been railing against in other threads. I am going to to try to avoid any such arguments here and am going to limit myself to posting solutions as you have requested. Hopefully the arguments are not brought up by others.

There is one preliminary item I think it's important to clarify however, given that its fundamental to how many Blackberry 10 tasks and uses work. Blackberry ID, Blackberry Protect, and related services have been specifically exempted by Blackberry Limited from EOL status, so they are NOT EOL at the end of this year. The BB10 OS however IS EOL.

To answer your question, I would argue ALL BB10 hardware is usable beyond e-mail, phone calls, and texting. Here are my recommended basic solutions for common smartphone tasks:

(OS Version Disclaimer: Upgrade to 10.3.3 for all devices capable. Your device will run much more smoothly.)
    1. Backups: this is a fundamental concern for anyone having data on their phone. I would recommend the following for backups:

a. On Computer--Use Sachesi or Darcy's Blackberry Tools on a scheduled basis to
    back up all data including apps and app data.

b. Cloud--sync your BBB files to the cloud storage provider of your choice.

c. Device to Cloud--map your BB10 device as a mapped drive on Windows/Mac and
    sync that drive to the cloud storage provider of your choice. This will not take care of
    apps and data, but will handle files.

d. Device-Only Backups: purchase and use Ultimate Backup from Runisoft at
    Home and back up directly to your SD card, syncing to cloud if you so
    choose.

2. Browser: if you have trouble with the existing BB10 browser, install BEOL Browser. It's an Android app but designed specifically for BB10 and will handle all websites.

Link: https://github.com/jonathan-reisdorf...elease-arm.apk

3. Facebook: Use FacePro or F5 natively or, if you prefer, Facebook Lite in its Android version.

Link to Facebook Lite: https://mega.nz/#!95ZxHK4T!KaDNqOYqf...__SBGoKve4y3tM

4. Twitter: Use Neatly natively or Blaq if you have it (or can download it if I'm able to get it from the dev and release it on the thread in the CB BB10 Apps forum.)

5. Instagram: Use Inst10 natively.

6. Spotify: Use the Android version, available here:

https://mega.nz/#!IwJG1CoB!WPJYnLN4D...jMaG5CrYFmMMbw

7. Navigation: Use either Blackberry Maps or, if you prefer, a Google Maps wrapper.

8. Any Google Apps: use Cobalt's method and the older versions which still work with said method.

9. Streaming Your Own Media: Buy Kalemsoft Media Player from www.kalemsoft.com and set up the corresponding Streamer app. It's like Plex for your BB10.

10. Streaming Other Media: use the Netflix/Hulu/whatever Android apps that are compatible. I am working on adding those to my known compatible repository.

11. Podcasts: Use bPod Podcast Manager, a native app which has been released by the dev.

12. Playing Local Music: Use Neutron Media Player or Kalemsoft.

13. YouTube: Use FastTube natively, or failing that or StereoTube use an Android app of your choice.

There are many other solutions for specific use cases but that covers many basic functions for which people use a smartphone.

If I've missed the point of your question Chuck let me know and I'll clarify, but hopefully this helps answer it seriously and points people in a good direction....
    10-03-19 10:24 AM
    Chuck, I want you to know that I respect your post and your thread, and that this kind of thing (avoiding arguments) is the type of thing I have been railing against in other threads. I am going to to try to avoid any such arguments here and am going to limit myself to posting solutions as you have requested. Hopefully the arguments are not brought up by others.

There is one preliminary item I think it's important to clarify however, given that its fundamental to how many Blackberry 10 tasks and uses work. Blackberry ID, Blackberry Protect, and related services have been specifically exempted by Blackberry Limited from EOL status, so they are NOT EOL at the end of this year. The BB10 OS however IS EOL.

To answer your question, I would argue ALL BB10 hardware is usable beyond e-mail, phone calls, and texting. Here are my recommended basic solutions for common smartphone tasks:

(OS Version Disclaimer: Upgrade to 10.3.3 for all devices capable. Your device will run much more smoothly.)
    1. Backups: this is a fundamental concern for anyone having data on their phone. I would recommend the following for backups:

a. On Computer--Use Sachesi or Darcy's Blackberry Tools on a scheduled basis to
    back up all data including apps and app data.

b. Cloud--sync your BBB files to the cloud storage provider of your choice.

c. Device to Cloud--map your BB10 device as a mapped drive on Windows/Mac and
    sync that drive to the cloud storage provider of your choice. This will not take care of
    apps and data, but will handle files.

d. Device-Only Backups: purchase and use Ultimate Backup from Runisoft at
    Home and back up directly to your SD card, syncing to cloud if you so
    choose.

2. Browser: if you have trouble with the existing BB10 browser, install BEOL Browser. It's an Android app but designed specifically for BB10 and will handle all websites.

Link: https://github.com/jonathan-reisdorf...elease-arm.apk

3. Facebook: Use FacePro or F5 natively or, if you prefer, Facebook Lite in its Android version.

Link to Facebook Lite: https://mega.nz/#!95ZxHK4T!KaDNqOYqf...__SBGoKve4y3tM

4. Twitter: Use Neatly natively or Blaq if you have it (or can download it if I'm able to get it from the dev and release it on the thread in the CB BB10 Apps forum.)

5. Instagram: Use Inst10 natively.

6. Spotify: Use the Android version, available here:

https://mega.nz/#!IwJG1CoB!WPJYnLN4D...jMaG5CrYFmMMbw

7. Navigation: Use either Blackberry Maps or, if you prefer, a Google Maps wrapper.

8. Any Google Apps: use Cobalt's method and the older versions which still work with said method.

9. Streaming Your Own Media: Buy Kalemsoft Media Player from www.kalemsoft.com and set up the corresponding Streamer app. It's like Plex for your BB10.

10. Streaming Other Media: use the Netflix/Hulu/whatever Android apps that are compatible. I am working on adding those to my known compatible repository.

11. Podcasts: Use bPod Podcast Manager, a native app which has been released by the dev.

12. Playing Local Music: Use Neutron Media Player or Kalemsoft.

13. YouTube: Use FastTube natively, or failing that or StereoTube use an Android app of your choice.

There are many other solutions for specific use cases but that covers many basic functions for which people use a smartphone.

If I've missed the point of your question Chuck let me know and I'll clarify, but hopefully this helps answer it seriously and points people in a good direction....
    Seems like a good start to me, but then again what do I know? You’ve figured out my intent.

BTW - what specific or various BB10 hardware are you running? I’m sure that matters from the 8/16/32 models out there for different reasons. Not doubting your list just setting realistic expectations for everyone out there.

I, for one, didn’t realize until last week that my AT&T Passport was essentially an SE in carrier garments... LOL
    10-03-19 10:33 AM
    In my case the stock browser and all other browser options are the downfall for me. I can deal with the rest but I don't like waiting till my next birthday for a page to load or searching for which setting or browser would load it efficiently.

If Blackberry only had released one last browser update before sailing of I to the sunset I would have been a very happy camper still.
    Gallofa, Jake2826 and Farzeen25 like this.
    10-03-19 10:38 AM
    In my case the stock browser and all other browser options are the downfall for me. I can deal with the rest but I don't like waiting till my next birthday for a page to load or searching for which setting or browser would load it efficiently.

If Blackberry only had released one last update before sailing of I to the sunset I would have been a very happy camper still.
    Glad to see you here this soon. Did you ever try any of TT’s suggestions mentioned above? Opinions +/- when you have time.
    10-03-19 10:42 AM
    I guess it comes down to how one defines "useable".

If you just want to pick up a device that simply works in a way one would generally expect a smartphone to work, then clearly NO.

If you are passionate about BB10 and willing to invest the time and effort with various workarounds for many common tasks, then YES.

If your smartphone needs stay within the limited subset of what BB10 can realistically offer, then YES.
    That’s exactly what I found in my use case. I don’t think even my Passport can handle my usage needs. I was surprised though, how the Z3 and Q5 still handled CB10 in comparison with the outside apks. Unfortunately, CB still isn’t paying enough for me to live on CB posts exclusively.... LOL
    10-03-19 10:47 AM
    That’s exactly what I found in my use case. I don’t think even my Passport can handle my usage needs. I was surprised though, how the Z3 and Q5 still handled CB10 in comparison with the outside apks. Unfortunately, CB still isn’t paying enough for me to live on CB posts exclusively.... LOL
    It's certainly true that after using a more modern device, going back to a BB10 phone seems punishingly slow - even for simple tasks.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-03-19 10:48 AM
    Now in all fairness, these are the Z3 and Q5, so the bottom of BB10 hardware ever sold. Both were running last version of whatever OTA BB10 updates, 10.2.1 and 10.3.2 came through respectively.
    This is a KEY point in your post. Your devices ARE slow to begin with and you would definitely have to update those ancient OS's. Even if you did, imo you would still shudder at the thought of having to use these devices as a daily driver but at the very least you would see an improvement. Having to use TextNow just defeats the purpose for messaging as far as I'm concerned. The Hub and native apps should be used for all messaging. As far as the browser goes, you will never be satisfied because it has lost lots of functionality and speed over the years.

I get by using my Passport as a daily driver because I'm not much of a media consumer. The native browser PLUS either Kiwi or now, Fennec from F-Droid will work well enough for me for the little time that I am using the web but ymmv. I just cannot see any of this stuff working well enough on your under-powered BB10 devices to satisfy you to any large degree.
    10-03-19 10:50 AM
    Glad to see you here this soon. Did you ever try any of TT’s suggestions mentioned above? Opinions +/- when you have time.
    Yes I have. I have installed Firefox beta, YouBrowser, Qbrowser, BEOL and have played with them plenty. It's really a crap-shoot when it comes to the vast Internet.

I feel I can do more when I am not waiting... waiting.... Waiting...... Lol
    10-03-19 10:52 AM
    This is a KEY point in your post. Your devices ARE slow to begin with and you would definitely have to update those ancient OS's. Even if you did, imo you would still shudder at the thought of having to use these devices as a daily driver but at the very least you would see an improvement. Having to use TextNow just defeats the purpose for messaging as far as I'm concerned. The Hub and native apps should be used for all messaging. As far as the browser goes, you will never be satisfied because it has lost lots of functionality and speed over the years.

I get by using my Passport as a daily driver because I'm not much of a media consumer. The native browser PLUS either Kiwi or now, Fennec from F-Droid will work well enough for me for the little time that I am using the web but ymmv. I just cannot see any of this stuff working well enough on your under-powered BB10 devices to satisfy you to any large degree.
    Although I primarily use my Z30 as my BB10 test unit, I would definitely agree that, as a BB10 daily driver, it would be Passport or nothing for me.
    Last edited by conite; 10-03-19 at 11:35 AM.
    10-03-19 10:54 AM
    But gosh-Darn I miss that Passport keyboard and OS
    Nathan Snyder likes this.
    10-03-19 10:55 AM

If Blackberry only had released one last browser update before sailing of I to the sunset I would have been a very happy camper still.
    So true for me also. If it wasn't for the stock browser being so slow and finniky with some websites, I doubt very much I would even have another android device. It's all about the browser (or lack thereof) for me. Would have been ultra cool to have had that updated but it is what it is.
    10-03-19 10:57 AM

On the other hand, I don't believe 10.3.3 came to either of those devices OTA. If one wants to keep things official then pre-10.3.3 is the name of the game, but between autoloaders and APK sideloading going off the beaten path is essentially mandatory to wring out whatever remains.

That BB continued to generate builds for those devices might be some indication of expecting that autoloaders would happen, but they still built 10.3.3 builds for the STL100-1 and those won't even work via autoloaders.
    10-03-19 11:15 AM
    On the other hand, I don't believe 10.3.3 came to either of those devices OTA. If one wants to keep things official then pre-10.3.3 is the name of the game, but between autoloaders and APK sideloading going off the beaten path is essentially mandatory to wring out whatever remains.
    Exactly true - the Q5 will accept 10.3.3 but the Z3 will go to 10.3.2 only. Chuck would probably benefit by updating to the max but I can see why he doesn't bother.
    10-03-19 11:18 AM
    And I'll just toss this in here. Have a friend who is a senatorial type (in the good sense: elderly, calm, wise) who two years ago gave up on his 9320 because "email stopped working" (I suspect because his carrier shut BIS down) so he went onto his computer & found a Classic BNIB on eBay. He has been happily using it for the past two years for browsing, phone calls, maps, email Facebook, text etc. The only complaint I've heard from him is that Twitter stopped working, & that sometimes a site won't load. But he shrugged these off: "Not important.."

You're wondering have I communicated to him about how all technology enters a crepuscular phase eventually, including his BB10 device? Have I hinted about getting a newer device, etc? Nope. Why complicate things for him? Once, after sending a long text reply to his wife, he opined, "I don't know if I can ever use one of those soft screen [sic] phones. I hope BlackBerry or somebody will keep making some kind of phone with real keys on it!"

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    10-03-19 11:54 AM
    It really comes down to personal preference and expectations.

There are many reasons most people have moved on from BB10 devices, and there are also many reasons some people still use them in 2019 and will continue to use them.

Thankfully a handful of enthusiasts are dedicated to keeping their devices going as long as possible and sharing their workarounds with others.
    10-03-19 12:24 PM
    I think that as conite aptly said, the key word here is "useable"", and how a prospective user defines that. So, as a follow-up to this, I believe TT's post clearly showed that BB10 devices can actually be "useable", although I do have to add that in my experience, the most useable device from that lot is really only the Passport. All the above mentioned apps work well, and in my case even the native browser still functions ok (although I do have a couple more as a possible back-up). Then again, it's not only the apps; it can never be only about them. After all, there millions of them out there, and most of them are not of any use at all. What about the actual OS? Anyway, as far as I am concerned, BB10 is really a great OS, apps can work, and the PKB is a joy, so I will stay with my Passport for as long as I can (hopefully quite a lot!).
    10-03-19 12:25 PM
    So part of the summation for anyone so far is that

Z3/Q5 - pretty underpowered for today’s standards but native apps run fine

Q10/Z10/Z30/Leap/Classic 2/16 GB setup is doable for native and some Android or browser use

Passport with it’s 3/32 setup if you’re trying for daily use with more Android and browser use
    10-03-19 01:15 PM
    I think that as conite aptly said, the key word here is "useable"", and how a prospective user defines that. So, as a follow-up to this, I believe TT's post clearly showed that BB10 devices can actually be "useable", although I do have to add that in my experience, the most useable device from that lot is really only the Passport. All the above mentioned apps work well, and in my case even the native browser still functions ok (although I do have a couple more as a possible back-up). Then again, it's not only the apps; it can never be only about them. After all, there millions of them out there, and most of them are not of any use at all. What about the actual OS? Anyway, as far as I am concerned, BB10 is really a great OS, apps can work, and the PKB is a joy, so I will stay with my Passport for as long as I can (hopefully quite a lot!).
    Blackberry has always produced under-powered phones in comparison to relative market specs. The Blackberry Passport was the first (by my standards) comparable flagship phone that could compete for specs and that was my window to take the plunge. Couldn't have been happier for 3 years and a bit. Knowing what an amazing OS BB10 is and how the keyboard worked fluid with it never did better. (this is not a question in need of an explanation)

The Passport still remains the best phone I've owned and still enjoy playing with it keeping it chugging along as an emergency backup.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    10-03-19 02:10 PM
    For me, the experience has been a little different. I have had most Flagships from all the big brands since the beginning of time, yes, I still have my first cell phone the Motorola Brick. I presently own the K2 and this Passport. I decided to daily my Passport for 2 main reasons. 1) Was never too impressed with the Key Droidberry's, they're ok. 2) using the the Passport is a challenge, I like that. A lot of apps I was use to just will not work. And here is the kicker, I am truly enjoying the lack of "Time Waster Apps" that I thought I couldn't do without. I feel freed from the manic pursuit of Media consumption. Last, but certainly not least, my Passport feels Premium! The Keyboard is Premium! A true Blackberry!

PS - I still have Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, YouTube, Google Maps, Google Drive, Twitter, CB, Euronews and CNN.
    Native apps are email, text, Blackberry Maps, Weather, etc...

Bottom line, right now, I'm not missing much and the OS handles memory like a champ. Better than my old SE K1 with 3 Gigs. So like a high performance sports car of yesteryear, it demands more work, all you need to decide is whether it is worth it for you. Cheers,

Posted via my Passport
    Last edited by Crusader03; 10-03-19 at 04:25 PM.
    10-03-19 03:37 PM
    Seems like a good start to me, but then again what do I know? You’ve figured out my intent.

BTW - what specific or various BB10 hardware are you running? I’m sure that matters from the 8/16/32 models out there for different reasons. Not doubting your list just setting realistic expectations for everyone out there.

I, for one, didn’t realize until last week that my AT&T Passport was essentially an SE in carrier garments... LOL
    I'm actively using a Z30 and have test models for most other BB10 variants. I would, however, agree that the Passport has the best specs and if one's carrier supports it I'd go with that.
    10-03-19 03:40 PM
    Duplicate post. Pilot error!
    10-03-19 03:44 PM
    Hey, Chuck, I didn't bother to read all of the posts, but for me I don't think it's really usable as a daily driver these days due to issues with the following apps:
    1) banking apps
    2) Google Hangouts, which we use extensively at work; more importantly it's a critical tool when I'm on vacation for keeping my co-workers able to support a few legacy systems on which I'm the Old Fart Who Still Knows the System
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-03-19 03:53 PM
    Device works fine for me. Even the stock browser. But I am not a social media :&@. I avoid web 3.0 like the plague. Most of the sites I use and all of the sites I own are html4/php heavy. The few sites with "modern" javascript that the stock browser fails on can either be used with Browsie with javascript disabled, or is a site I should not be visiting on a mobile device anyway. (Like banking.) Chromium, Kiwi, BEOL are all backups if a customer sends me a link to imgur instead of just attaching the damn picture in an email...

If it ever gets too bad, I will use a web rendering proxy via one of my servers. Problem solved.

To be fair, I am a FreeBSD user that runs Firefox with uMatrix that blocks nearly all dynamic third party code. So I am not normal. Allowing web browsers to run turing complete code was the worst thing to happen to the internet imo.

On issues like "broken links" from "searching". This is because you're using a search engine that does not directly link, but refers/hijacks links for data. Use duckduckgo, and you won't have this issue.

As for apps, I don't use many. Chromium, kiwi, f-droid, totalcommander, rar are the only android apk I have installed now. I used to have skype, but with their switch to browser centric code, I can now use skype with bitlbee via IRC. Everything else I have comes from bbworld or is a side loaded bar (retroarch, torrent client).

But again, I am not a normal user. I am an old systems developer who is only here for a cheap 1:1 screen and a pbk. I used a symbol mc70 for a few almost a decade...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BronzeBeard; 10-03-19 at 04:16 PM.
    10-03-19 04:01 PM
    Device works fine for me. Even the stock browser. But I am not a social media :&@. I avoid web 3.0 like the plague. Most of the sites I use and all of the sites I own are html4/php heavy. The few sites with "modern" javascript that the stock browser fails on can either be used with Browsie with javascript disabled, or is a site I should not be visiting on a mobile device anyway. (Like banking.) Chromium, Kiwi, BEOL are all backups if a customer sends me a link to imgur instead of just attaching the damn picture in an email...

If it ever gets too bad, I will use a web rendering proxy via one of my servers. Problem solved.

To be fair, I am a FreeBSD user that runs Firefox with uMatrix that blocks nearly all dynamic third party code. So I am not normal. Allowing web browsers to run turing complete code was the worst thing to happen to the internet imo.

On issues like "broken links" from "searching". This is because you're using a search engine that does not directly link, but refers/hijacks links for data. Use duckduckgo, and you won't have this issue.

As for apps, I don't use many. Chromium, kiwi, f-droid, totalcommander, rar are the only ones I have installed now. I used to have skype, but with their switch to browser centric code, I can now use skype with bitlbee via IRC. Everything else I have comes from bbworld or is a side loaded bar (retroarch, torrent client).

But again, I am not a normal user. I am an old systems developer who is only here for a cheap 1:1 screen and a pbk. I used a symbol mc70 for a few almost a decade...

Posted via CB10
    At the risk of derailing the thread, I know you said you wanted a cheap 1:1 screen and a pkb, but can you elaborate on why you prefer a BB10 device over, say, a Galaxy S5 running LineageOS?

Seems like a LineageOS device would give you a lot more freedom to tinker and tweak the software to do exactly what you want, whereas BB10 is more restrictive.
    10-03-19 04:15 PM
296 123 ...