The conversation isn't about your personal perspective - it's about the likelihood of shutting down the BBID infrastructure.
    It's also about whether that matters, and that depends upon one's use case. I suspect that there are plenty of BB10 users like me who never fooled around with apps and don't use autoloader, Link, etc.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-12-18 07:31 PM
    Also, am. I alone in thinking that BlackBerry World was never all that interesting? If I'd wanted third party apps, there were always two or three better platforms!

But even something as simple as SuperTube or OneDrive (or a news reader, or a forum app, etc) is a deal-breaker for many. Even most of the remaining diehards have at least one must-have.
    06-12-18 07:31 PM
    But even something as simple as SuperTube is a deal-breaker for many. Even most of the remaining diehards have at least one must-have.
    On these forums, probably, but I am not son sure about the few general users who are left. The idea that v the majority of remaining users are using workarounds and apps is suspect to me.

Why does anyone need a YouTube app when YouTube still works really well in the BlackBerry browser, for example? My daughter prefers YouTube on my Z10 in the Browser to YouTube as an app on my KEYone.

06-12-18 07:35 PM
    My daughter prefers YouTube on my Z10 in the Browser to YouTube as an app on my KEYone.

I can watch five videos before the old BB10 browser in desktop mode can even load the YouTube splash page. But that app was just an example anyway.
    06-12-18 07:37 PM
    I can watch five videos before the old BB10 browser in desktop mode can even load the YouTube splash page. But that app was just an example anyway.
    I'm not suggesting that using the Browser is better, just that many of the few remaining BB10 users may care a lot less about apps than you assume.

BTW, OneDrive is a stock app and still works great. Losing that would be a significant problem for me.

I'm really not suggesting that BB10 will last forever. I just don't see the end of support as a hard stop as that has never been true for me on any other platform, including the PlayBook, Palm, BBOS, etc. Perhaps I'll be surprised, but I'm not planning around an EOL date for a personal device.
    06-12-18 07:54 PM

BTW, OneDrive is a stock app and still works great. Losing that would be a significant problem for me.
    OneDrive is not stock.
    06-12-18 07:55 PM
    OneDrive is not stock.
    I seem to recall OneDrive for BB10 being developed by BlackBerry in 2014 and bundled with 10.3.2, when the Amazon app store was also included.

In any case, it's integration has been seamless, it was certainly free, and I don't expect it to stop working arbitrarily on 1/1/2020, though it will certainly stop working one day.
    06-12-18 09:13 PM
    I seem to recall OneDrive for BB10 being developed by BlackBerry in 2014 and bundled with 10.3.2, when the Amazon app store was also included.

In any case, it's integration has been seamless, it was certainly free, and I don't expect it to stop working arbitrarily on 1/1/2020, though it will certainly stop working one day.
    Perhaps you were talking about the "Connect to Microsoft OneDrive" app. AFAIK, Microsoft doesn't have a OneDrive app for BB10.
    06-12-18 09:31 PM
    I agree with bb10adopter111 in that I don’t believe BB will take any proactive actions that will result in every single BB10 to stop working on January 1, 2020.

I see it more as zero support and things will various features and functions will just stop working over time. I think as long as you don’t factory reset your device, you’ll be fine.

Aside: I’m writing this from my ipad and while I love it as a streaming and web browsing device, this iOS vkb is absolutely abhorrent! My favourite use for my BB10 devices to this day, is participating in the forums via the CB10 app. Aside from the desktop, nothing beats battling the trolls on my Passport SE! I hope that luxury (which I only do while lying in bed) isn’t taken away from me in 2020!
    06-12-18 09:44 PM
    Perhaps you were talking about the "Connect to Microsoft OneDrive" app. AFAIK, Microsoft doesn't have a OneDrive app for BB10.
    That's the one. But it's not stock.
    06-12-18 10:16 PM
    I think as long as you don’t factory reset your device, you’ll be fine.
    That's actually what I'm saying.

No BlackBerry World. No ability to backup or restore. No ability to autoload or factory reset.

But for all practical purposes, that's really the end, isn't it?
    06-12-18 10:18 PM
    That's actually what I'm saying.

No BlackBerry World. No ability to backup or restore. No ability to autoload or factory reset.

But for all practical purposes, that's really the end, isn't it?
    Cue Jim Morrison.......

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    06-13-18 12:30 AM
    Also, am. I alone in thinking that BlackBerry World was never all that interesting? If I'd wanted third party apps, there were always two or three better platforms!

I can assure you that you missed many apps that could have improve your productivity. Sorry, but if you never used the BBW, how could you judge it?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-18 12:52 AM
    Thank you. That's what I'm talking about. It was provided by BlackBerry and fully integrated OneDrive into the BB10 file manager. It's all I've needed for 4+ years to be able to access all if my work files on my BlackBerry phone in a way that is much, much simpler than I can with the limited file management capabilities on my KEYone.

06-13-18 06:01 AM
    I can assure you that you missed many apps that could have improve your productivity. Sorry, but if you never used the BBW, how could you judge it?

Posted via CB10
    I installed stuff to test and experiment. But I was never trying to get the most out of my phone. I only perform tasks on my phone that I can't perform on my PC, and that typically only happens when my PC isn't available.

The one, HUGE exception to that is email, which for more than 10 years I have handled almost exclusively on my handheld device, because I found email faster and easier to handle on BBOS and BB10 than in my PC email client or browser windows.

Unlike many people who post around here, I don't particularly like using my mobile phone. It's a work tool, and just like bricklayers don't try to use their trowels at the dinner table, I don't use my mobile phone very much outside of my professional life,

For example, I don't need a third party music player because I listen to downloaded hi-rez files which I purchase, and the native BlackBerry music player plays those perfectly.

If you look at the apps I've downloaded, they were almost all.one-time use freebies, such as a Ukulele tuner that I used to tune a neglected instrument at a friend's house for a birthday party.

I look at apps like I look at engine modifications for my car. I could go to an aftermarket shop and add a turbocharger so that it would go faster, but I am satisfied with the current performance, which meets every single one of my needs.

If you like spending money on and using Mobile apps, that's great, but then you should really be on a better platform than BB10, IMO. Android and iOS have much better apps.

BB10 in 2018 is, depending on your perspective, either a rapidly aging app platform with the end of support looming at the end of next year (Conite's perspective), or a very stable and efficient email, SMS and MS Exchange client with the added benefit of being a great music player, eReader, etc. (my view).

I own two cars. A 10-year old BMW 3-series and a 15 year old Subaru. The BMW is more fun to drive, but if I had to sell one, it's also the one I'd give up, because it requires a lot more attention and is ultimately less reliable. BB10 is more like my Subaru. I just keeps running with practically zero maintenance.

I'm aiming for 300K miles on my Subaru and 8-10 years of use from my BB10 phones. But I won't be surprised or disappointed iif either die first.

This thread is all about the idea that the end of 2019 is the "apocalypse" for BB10, and my whole point is that that is seriously overblown. A user happy with the functionality if their BB10 phone on Dec. 31, 2019 will likely be happy with its functionality the next morning.

Conite is absolutely right that one should assume that it may not be possible to validate a BBID after the EOL date, so users should not count on Link and should turn off BlackBerry Protect before that. Autoloaders (not used by average humans), security wipes (rarely needed on a stable OS and terrifying for average humans), and Link restores (long unsupported) may certainly be affected.

What's probably more common(though still rare) for average users is syncing contacts via Link over USB. Since that can be done offline and air gapped , there's no reason to suspect that anything BlackBerry does on its network will impact that operation

06-13-18 06:29 AM
    Thank you. That's what I'm talking about. It was provided by BlackBerry and fully integrated OneDrive into the BB10 file manager. It's all I've needed for 4+ years to be able to access all if my work files on my BlackBerry phone in a way that is much, much simpler than I can with the limited file management capabilities on my KEYone.

Still wasn't stock.
    06-13-18 06:33 AM
    Still wasn't stock.
    I can't prove that it was, but I'm 99% sure the app was pre-installed on my wife's Z10 when I restored it for her via Link after purchase (AT&T Variant).

But since I'm not going to repeat that operation to settle an argument, I'll at least acknowledge that it currently lives in BlackBerry World and shows up under my "installed" list. But that doesn't really prove anything, since Adobe Reader, Connect to Dropbox, Documents To Go, and BBM also show up there, and they all came pre-installed on my phone.

06-13-18 06:44 AM
    I can't prove that it was, but I'm 99% sure the app was pre-installed on my wife's Z10 when I restored it for her via Link after purchase (AT&T Variant).

But since I'm not going to repeat that operation to settle an argument, I'll at least acknowledge that it currently lives in BlackBerry World and shows up under my "installed" list. But that doesn't really prove anything, since Adobe Reader, Connect to Dropbox, Documents To Go, and BBM also show up there, and they all came pre-installed on my phone.

I know with 100% certainty.
    06-13-18 06:47 AM
    Then I will concede the point as your 100% > my 99%, and I trust you at your word (and know you have performed orders of magnitude more restores than I have!)

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 06-13-18 at 09:52 AM.
    06-13-18 06:49 AM
    Then I will concede the point as your 100% > my 90%, and I trust you at your word (and know you have performed orders of magnitude more restores than I have!)

Are we talking like NSA or CIA level of magnitude ? James West or James Bond level operations ?

Do you think Conite has Aston Martin?
    06-13-18 06:56 AM
    Re: OneDrive:

If it's only available via BlackBerry World I'd make sure that you've installed it prior to the end of support for BlackBerry World.

However, once installed, there will be no reason to need BlackBerry World again unless performing a restore, so the issues of BBID authentication and BlackBerry World support are equivalent.

I think we all agree that users should assume they won't be able to restore their BB10 devices or access BlackBerry World in 2020. If and when that will matter to an individual user is entirely based on that user's circumstances.

For my use case, the EOL date will be the beginning of the end. For others it may simply be the end.

06-13-18 06:56 AM
    Are we talking like NSA or CIA level of magnitude ? James West or James Bond level operations ?

Do you think Conite has Aston Martin?
    Hopefully it's a Lotus Esprit so he can drive it underwater. 😎
    06-13-18 07:00 AM
    I installed stuff to test and experiment. But I was never trying to get the most out of my phone. I only perform tasks on my phone that I can't perform on my PC, and that typically only happens when my PC isn't available.

The one, HUGE exception to that is email, which for more than 10 years I have handled almost exclusively on my handheld device, because I found email faster and easier to handle on BBOS and BB10 than in my PC email client or browser windows.

Unlike many people who post around here, I don't particularly like using my mobile phone. It's a work tool, and just like bricklayers don't try to use their trowels at the dinner table, I don't use my mobile phone very much outside of my professional life,

For example, I don't need a third party music player because I listen to downloaded hi-rez files which I purchase, and the native BlackBerry music player plays those perfectly.

If you look at the apps I've downloaded, they were almost all.one-time use freebies, such as a Ukulele tuner that I used to tune a neglected instrument at a friend's house for a birthday party.

I look at apps like I look at engine modifications for my car. I could go to an aftermarket shop and add a turbocharger so that it would go faster, but I am satisfied with the current performance, which meets every single one of my needs.

If you like spending money on and using Mobile apps, that's great, but then you should really be on a better platform than BB10, IMO. Android and iOS have much better apps.

BB10 in 2018 is, depending on your perspective, either a rapidly aging app platform with the end of support looming at the end of next year (Conite's perspective), or a very stable and efficient email, SMS and MS Exchange client with the added benefit of being a great music player, eReader, etc. (my view).

I own two cars. A 10-year old BMW 3-series and a 15 year old Subaru. The BMW is more fun to drive, but if I had to sell one, it's also the one I'd give up, because it requires a lot more attention and is ultimately less reliable. BB10 is more like my Subaru. I just keeps running with practically zero maintenance.

I'm aiming for 300K miles on my Subaru and 8-10 years of use from my BB10 phones. But I won't be surprised or disappointed iif either die first.

This thread is all about the idea that the end of 2019 is the "apocalypse" for BB10, and my whole point is that that is seriously overblown. A user happy with the functionality if their BB10 phone on Dec. 31, 2019 will likely be happy with its functionality the next morning.

Conite is absolutely right that one should assume that it may not be possible to validate a BBID after the EOL date, so users should not count on Link and should turn off BlackBerry Protect before that. Autoloaders (not used by average humans), security wipes (rarely needed on a stable OS and terrifying for average humans), and Link restores (long unsupported) may certainly be affected.

What's probably more common(though still rare) for average users is syncing contacts via Link over USB. Since that can be done offline and air gapped , there's no reason to suspect that anything BlackBerry does on its network will impact that operation

I fully understand your point. Me viceversa, I tried to use the less possible my pc/mac. But sometimes I had too...but being always moving, I had to be ready to read and check docs, modifying them and use a lot emails.

Concerning to the post apocalypse of BB10....well, I had Win Mobile ( I liked it...but insanely killed at the wrong time), I used for almost a year Android alone or with BB10, and I did not like it so much so to make it my to be used OS. I have to admit that Android did huge steps ahead from the time of Android 4.3.... you have many options, but I have a lot of concerns regarding privacy and security. For sure the BlackBerry Android are miles better than the stock Android, but I still do not see any consistent privacy. So I am using now since 3 months IOS.... and I quite like it a lot. I have all the apps I need ( I am not a huge app users), and I am quite satisfied. I keep on prefer bb10 for email, listening to radio ( some radio channels I could not find on IOS or only on insane Abonnement ) and the keyboard. So use now 60% IOS ( IPhone se 128 gb), and 40% bb10. My nice Nokia 5 will rarely used, or no more than 10 hrs per week.

Concerning to the servers.... it is what it is.we are still far from end 2019....., so no need to panic. And I guess in one year probably TLC so as other producers will present new models.

Greetings,

Elfabio

Posted via CB10
    06-13-18 07:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    I liked BBW. Maybe I'm the only one,lol, but IMHO there are/were many high quality apps there. I've bought quite a few over the years.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    06-13-18 08:16 AM
    Your certainty is 100% correct. The app is NOT pre-installed.
    06-13-18 08:20 AM
227 ... 45678 ...