I've tweeted Michael Clewley about this very issue since the boxes make the icon names easily readable when using lighter backgrounds and he replied, "We are addressing this"; which in reality could mean anything. It could mean they'll make an option to turn them on or off, or it could even mean they just make a larger drop shadow for the icon text to make it readable on light backgrounds.

Posted via CB10
    Hope it's the drop shadow on texts majority of users don't want those icons back and it took away iconography that way even the best designed icon looked normal.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 04:46 PM
    Check it out, it's the background that came with the playbook originally and I'm loving it
    10.3 UI design...-img_20140531_164635.png

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 04:47 PM
    Hope it's the drop shadow on texts majority of users don't want those icons back and it took away iconography that way even the best designed icon looked normal.

Posted via CB10
    Not everyone hated them. An option to turn them off/on and/or a slider for opaqueness would be much better then no option for either camp.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 05:16 PM
    Not everyone hated them. An option to turn them off/on and/or a slider for opaqueness would be much better then no option for either camp.

Posted via CB10
    Like I said you can't have options with everything and majority of users asked them to turn it off so they did..

Also about that slider...the functionality required to build that would be absolutely wasted on such a trivial function. if placed on a busy background those boxes are hard to see anyways. They've got better things to improvise on imo. It's such a trivial function yet you all blow it out of proportion.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 08:32 PM
    Like I said you can't have options with everything and majority of users asked them to turn it off so they did..

Also about that slider...the functionality required to build that would be absolutely wasted on such a trivial function. if placed on a busy background those boxes are hard to see anyways. They've got better things to improvise on imo. It's such a trivial function yet you all blow it out of proportion.

Posted via CB10
    Well, this is a first. A person who's completely opposed to having options. Options that would help make every happy. Are you serious? Why on God's green earth are you so opposed to UI customization options and/or a theme engine?

They've got better things to improvise? Apparently not since they went out of their way to completely destroy a beautiful UI with this flat crap. In any case it's very apparent they have enough resources to waste on UI changes; so I don't see why they wouldn't have the resources to dedicate to UI customization.

I'm tired of debating this with you. You've more than proven you love this hideous UI and that you don't want anyone that doesn't like it to have the option to change it; which is just completely asinine. So this is my last post directed at you. If you bother to respond, then do not expect a response back.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 09:53 PM
    Well, this is a first. A person who's completely opposed to having options. Options that would help make every happy. Are you serious? Why on God's green earth are you so opposed to UI customization options and/or a theme engine?

They've got better things to improvise? Apparently not since they went out of their way to completely destroy a beautiful UI with this flat crap. In any case it's very apparent they have enough resources to waste on UI changes; so I don't see why they wouldn't have the resources to dedicate to UI customization.

I'm tired of debating this with you. You've more than proven you love this hideous UI and that you don't want anyone that doesn't like it to have the option to change it; which is just completely asinine. So this is my last post directed at you. If you bother to respond, then do not expect a response back.

Posted via CB10
    Could care less if you replied back. For all I care they aren't making a slider X,'D

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 03:26 PM
    Hmmm.. the music icon looks more like an ECG than an audio waveform.

I feel bad for the guy with a dodgy ticker who has to look at that every time he wants some music to comfort him as he's on the way to the cardiologist.
    06-01-14 03:54 PM
    Why on God's green earth...
    It's blue. Blue!
    06-01-14 05:17 PM
    On today's installment of crap flat UI design, here's this screenshot taken from the DI.FM app (Android port to BB10).

The menu is an ever so slight shade darker than the background it pops-up in front of. It's random placement on the screen just looks odd - slight spacing to the right, massive space to the left, no space to the top. Nothing to "link" the menu to the three dots that represent the button to access the menu. No symmetry to the design, just haphazard placement reminiscent of annoying internet pop-ups that we go to great lengths to block.

Next on the hit list is the "track list". Just like the three-dot menu, white text on a grey background. They even have darker grey backgrounds that almost look like buttons! These must be buttons, right? Tap, tap... hello? Anyone in there? Nope, not buttons. Just text labels. Typical crapdroid flat UI design. One element has white text on a grey background that ARE buttons, another element has white text on a grey background that AREN'T buttons.

Remember, kids, things that are buttons should look like buttons. Things that aren't buttons shouldn't look like them.

Further down the screen we have an ad. I can understand ads, I haven't paid for the app. But Android ads just look goofy the way they're placed. If you're going to leave space to the sides, at least add some space at the bottom between the bottom edge of the ad and the horizontal bar above the pause and time section of the screen. It's too easy to hit when aiming for the pause button.

Speaking of the pause button... misuse of the pause button runs rampant in apps and websites these days. The idea of a pause button is to pause the media. For streaming radio, in order to pause the stream the device would have to cache the content. Most of the time that doesn't happen, so the pause button actually functions as a STOP button. So if that's the case, make it a friggen STOP button. And for the love of go, make it look like a button.

Moving to the right a bit you see the button for changing the quality of the stream. Well, at least it looks like a button. The background is dark and has a slight gradient, the outline is lighter and there's a label. But it's not a button. Tapping it does nothing. If it's just an info label, then make it look like the time display on the far right.

Flat interfaces such as the one BlackBerry is moving to in 10.3 makes it easier for developers to be lazy and sloppy, coding buttons that look like labels, labels that look like buttons and headings that look like content.

Fortunately 10.3 looks to retain some of the layout structure that helps to separate elements such as menus from backgrounds a little better, but it's getting dangerously close to the steamrolled mess that we commonly see with Android UIs.

10.3 UI design...-img_20140621_220153.png
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-22-14 12:13 PM
    I'm still bugged by this whole UI redesign direction.

There is a LOT more important crap that needs to be fixed!

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    - on BES10, using interactive notifications (workspace emails separated or not) selecting such an email jumps The Hub (a flickering) twice from previous view left and then into an sms, never the email presented and selected.
    - too many other bugs that kill the performance of the device or the joy in using it daily. BlackBerry should be fixing these vs creating new issues by screwing with an already great UI design that is less than 2yrs old. Like seriously BlackBerry common.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    06-22-14 09:14 PM
    Still don't believe me that the flat design in 10.3 opened the door to poorly designed app UIs?

Now it appears that the calendar has been hit with the steamroller, the growing numbers are gone, you've got the big "action button" sticking up from the bottom, and where's the grid for the calendar? Every calendar I've seen has a grid separating the days from each other. The coloured bars? Without the grid, now there's nothing "linking" them to the calendar day. At a quick glance, it could be easy to mix up which date the coloured bars go with.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post10834391
    09-13-14 11:32 AM
236 ... 8910