What are the benefits a rich UI can provide? Because so far I'm seeing none. I'm only just feeling like I got a new phone in terms of aesthetics but really I like the OS more because of the new FUNCTIONALITY. You know the quick action for emails in the hub (file/delete), the 2 handed quick settings, endless folders are all things that I'm loving. The aesthetics have done absolutely nothing for me in terms of increased or decreased productivity.

It strikes me that you are just hating to hate. I understand it's not your favorite way but to say it makes it less functional is silly. They didn't change the source codes you know... they simply changed Hex codes for all you know... colors went from gradient to solid. I miss the part where you are supposed to tell me you are also being less functional with all the flat websites online these days.. you find it hard to click on things because the colors are solid dark blue rather than dark2light blue /:

Posted via CB10
    ^^ this!!

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    05-29-14 12:17 PM
    I believe it's pretty similar
    Attachment 274568
    It doesn't look better. It's lazy design. Instead of come up with some nice visuals, they've drawn a box, placed the cursor somewhere and started typing.

I also think that flatter menus will be harder to use in bright light such as outside in bright sun.

I'm not really sure about your point about easier customizability. There's no reason why the colours of buttons and backgrounds couldn't be changed without resorting to a flat theme. In other words, flat themes aren't required for customizability.

As for consistency with other devices - Unless it's identical to the point where "muscle memory" comes into play with menus and buttons being placed identically across devices, any variation will require a look-think-do process by the user.

I have to ask - if you like the flat theme so much, why haven't you switched to a Nexus 5?

Can you please post some shots from the control panel such as the "storage and access" page?

I'll again post this as an example of how it is so easy to muck up flat design. It inspires laziness in design which results in an interface that's heavily text based while providing the user with limited visual cues as to what elements are interactive.

05-29-14 01:14 PM
    Lol I wonder how hard it is to read in sunlight when you have 2 dark texts over a white background...

1. Cancel
    2. Delete

Must be hard to choose and see the difference in buttons with 2 contrasting functions.

Like I said I don't need to switch to nexus 5 because nexus doesn't have the functionalities that I enjoy in bb10. When they had the "rich" design up until 10.2.1 I was fine with it now that they have switched I'm fine with it. It's done absolutely nothing to me in terms of functionality.

Lazy designing or not, it's going universal and I'm going with it .

Also I think you missed my point. Those buttons have to be designed specifically for it to look good. If you change the color of the button for example, those border shadows around it could look ridiculous depending on the color.

I'm the one that's using the leak. I can tell you haven't used it because I simply don't understand your points. The whole "hard to use in bright light "... easily just clock on the word.
    Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 02:44 PM
    10.3 UI design...-img_20140529_144825.png
    10.3 UI design...-img_20140529_144814.png

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 03:05 PM
    Great, it's an Android clone.

Google's UIs are some of the most nonsensical and disjointed around.

You can barely make out the text for Remember, Games, Browser, Settings, Maps...

Backgrounds serve a purpose.

When I want to look at a picture, I'll open the picture. When I want to do something with my phone, I want to wake it up to something useful, not just a blank page.
    First off you must be old or really boring.. Pls accept my judgment. Why do you want to read what app it is if the icons says it all.. if not in one or two times you won't be needing to read again.. what does it really cost you to wake it up swipe and begin "doing something useful "...

Posted via CB10 App
    05-29-14 03:15 PM
    First off you must be old or really boring.. Pls accept my judgment. Why do you want to read what app it is if the icons says it all.. if not in one or two times you won't be needing to read again.. what does it really cost you to wake it up swipe and begin "doing something useful "...

Posted via CB10 App
    Please don't post drivel like this again. This is a discussion forum, not a judgmental opinion forum.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 03:29 PM

Posted via CB10 App
    Wow a bit too far /: even if he's old aren't you taught in almost every culture to respect elders?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 04:30 PM

Posted via CB10 App
    I'm 30 and do tech support for a living, which includes tutoring clients in the use of their devices so I get to see what the sort of people who don't post on forums like these struggle with in everyday use.

Almost universally among my clients, the plain, flat UIs cause the most frustration with interaction. Many if them also dislike Office 2013 due to the ambiguous nature of the UI.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-29-14 06:15 PM
    I'm 30 and do tech support for a living, which includes tutoring clients in the use of their devices so I get to see what the sort of people who don't post on forums like these struggle with in everyday use.

Almost universally among my clients, the plain, flat UIs cause the most frustration with interaction. Many if them also dislike Office 2013 due to the ambiguous nature of the UI.

Posted via CB10
    You didn't have to entertain that sort of post. It was ignorant imo

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 06:33 PM
    Office 2013 is the poster child for bad flat design. I'm still using 2010 (with the dark color scheme).

I've been using 10.3.0.296 for a few days now. Some things are not as bad as I thought initially, but some things still agitate me, such as the dialog boxes and those so called buttons, and some other things that lack contrast. Way too much white in emails. The keyboard is fine, and there are other new features that help offset the things I dislike, but those could be implemented in the previous design.

The original design was very clean and simple, and actually fairly flat. While some things still look alright in the new design, I would like them to use more color in some places (like the original blue title bars). The solution is clearly theme choices, or at least a few options to tweak the design.

I don't care for the primary option sticking out the way it does. I would rather it be inline where the circle is there but maybe truncated. Maybe a squircle shape too.

Posted via CB10
    anon8656116 and peter0328 like this.
    05-29-14 08:47 PM
    Just wait leak 10.3 for stl100-1 autoloader

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 09:43 PM
    Wow a bit too far /: even if he's old aren't you taught in almost every culture to respect elders?
    That's fine. Posts like that reveal true ignorance.
    05-29-14 10:23 PM
    I believe it's pretty similar
    Attachment 274568

As for why flat colors are good, well for one many BlackBerry users are not exclusively BlackBerry users as they have other devices. It gives an Harmonious feel to the devices especially since it's becoming an industry standard. Secondly it provides a more streamlined feel. This I'm not sure on but if it's anything like coding a website, all those blue bar are images that have to be designed and then source coded, which is now replaced by either nothing or a flat simple hex code that can be changed easily which hopefully will move us into an era where we can change the whole feel of the app (mini-theming) if you will.

Having used snap2chat I kinda hope i can see this someday.

Posted via CB10
    I see serious issues with that style of dialog

1. It ditches the title bar, choosing instead to incorporate the title in a similar space with the actual content (that is, further inside the box). While I agree that title and content goes hand-in-hand, it eats up the precious screen real-estate

2. The title, subtitle, and the radio buttons all look similar, what with the white background and no really visible separator (yes, I know there is a separator there, in the screenshot they don't look very visible).

3. The buttons don't look like buttons at all. This is actually one of the reasons I despise iOS7. While I agree that we have been conditioned to treat "OK" and "Cancel" words as some sort of button themselves (even without any sort of border) this design would extend to any button that is not an OK or Cancel. Buttons should look like buttons, not merely excel cells.

I do not agree that "harmonious" feel is a merit for THIS flat design. It's a side effect, and should not be the goal. I agree that all that blue bars have to be coded, but that's only once when they initially built the framework. It's been that way all the way back to 10.0, changing it now is actually more work than keeping it that way.

Most importantly, they don't just remove the colors, replacing it with monochrome (ironically, one of the hallmarks of outdated technology), they also change the positioning of dialog elements.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-29-14 10:50 PM
    Actually all the other dialog boxes function similarly. They clearly aren't done with it as there are in consistency all over the Os. Some have monochrome bars while others blend into the box. I'm excited to get my hands on the next leak though.

Honestly the buttons not looking like buttons isn't a big problem as you'd think.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 11:24 PM
    Actually all the other dialog boxes function similarly. They clearly aren't done with it as there are in consistency all over the Os. Some have monochrome bars while others blend into the box. I'm excited to get my hands on the next leak though.

Honestly the buttons not looking like buttons isn't a big problem as you'd think.

Posted via CB10
    Regarding buttons, I think they should be blue. They could stay flat, but giving it another color identifies it as something to interact with. I noticed on the old DROID that Android's flat buttons turn blue after pressing them.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 11:36 PM
    Regarding buttons, I think they should be blue. They could stay flat, but giving it another color identifies it as something to interact with. I noticed on the old DROID that Android's flat buttons turn blue after pressing them.

Posted via CB10
    These ones I believe turn dark grey when pressed. Like I said it's still inconsistent so might not be universal but it's there

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 11:55 PM
    Here is an example of the primary button where the circle doesn't stick up so much. It's bigger and encompasses the text, the icon lines up with the other icons, and the circle is truncated at the bottom. These are crude but you get the idea.

Original Dark Calendar
    10.3 UI design...-dark-calendar-original.png

Modified Dark Calendar
    10.3 UI design...-dark-calendar-alt.png

Original Bright Calendar
    10.3 UI design...-bright-calendar-original.png

Modified Bright Calendar
    10.3 UI design...-bright-calendar-alt.png
    05-30-14 05:00 PM
    The problem with BlackBerry is that it's boring. It's really good (the best!), but people don't appreciate the fundamentals. People like the flashy stuff. Without any new O/S updates, app updates, features, software updates, whatever... BlackBerry isn't on the news. If BlackBerry says they'll release a phone update "by the end of the year", then the only press BlackBerry will get will be by the end of the year. There's no way around it and by the end of the year we will hear the same comments again, "people still use BlackBerry?". Give us something, even if it's mediocre small updates, but keep them coming. Find loopholes like how Microsoft has "developer previews", but don't stop when you have momentum.
    My feelings exactly...

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 05:06 PM
    The problem with BlackBerry is that it's boring. It's really good (the best!), but people don't appreciate the fundamentals. People like the flashy stuff. Without any new O/S updates, app updates, features, software updates, whatever... BlackBerry isn't on the news. If BlackBerry says they'll release a phone update "by the end of the year", then the only press BlackBerry will get will be by the end of the year. There's no way around it and by the end of the year we will hear the same comments again, "people still use BlackBerry?". Give us something, even if it's mediocre small updates, but keep them coming. Find loopholes like how Microsoft has "developer previews", but don't stop when you have momentum.
    I agree with keeping new stuff released even if it's small as long as it gets the dumb mainstream sheep's attention.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 08:14 PM
    Is it me or do people exaggerate when it comes to BlackBerry? Just cm down. I bet most things about 10.3 will be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    noelwoodward and spikesolie like this.
    05-30-14 08:19 PM
    Honestly idk how ios = flat. The whole ideology of flat is simply 1 solid color rather than gradients. That's all. A good designer will make it look beautiful. A bad one would pull off an ios7.

And as you can see its evolving with bb. They have this childish camera icon that I hate... it looks like squares put together. then they have this
    Attachment 271983
    Would you say that camera icon isn't well designed? that's the point. Designers matter ah
    Also that search icon can and is being improved.

Posted via CB10
    Camera icon design is kinda pointless, I wouldn't be surprised is most BB10 users use the shortcut to launch the camera and hide the app in a useless folder.

Posted via CB10
    Basti89 likes this.
    05-31-14 08:49 AM
    Camera icon design is kinda pointless, I wouldn't be surprised is most BB10 users use the shortcut to launch the camera and hide the app in a useless folder.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha. Yep. I had to go and look in a folder on my back page to even see what the current camera icon looked like. I couldn't remember.

Posted via CB10
    dragon77 likes this.
    05-31-14 09:16 AM
    Not sure if this has been addressed recently, but is there an option to keep the black squares around the icons? I quite like them and it makes BB10 stand out from iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 01:50 PM
    Not sure if this has been addressed recently, but is there an option to keep the black squares around the icons? I quite like them and it makes BB10 stand out from iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    From my understanding they've been removed without option to put them back. However, I wouldn't be surprised if an option is added later on per feedback.

emPowered by ?
    05-31-14 03:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've tweeted Michael Clewley about this very issue since the boxes make the icon names easily readable when using lighter backgrounds and he replied, "We are addressing this"; which in reality could mean anything. It could mean they'll make an option to turn them on or off, or it could even mean they just make a larger drop shadow for the icon text to make it readable on light backgrounds.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 03:13 PM
236 ... 78910