I for one would love to see the homescreen from OS7 and 6 make a comeback to the new OS. It, for me, makes the device more phone-like. The static icon based UI is very iPhone like which I personally hate.

Maybe the active frame screen can be used to replicate the older homescreen when not in use? Just saying.
    05-27-14 12:52 PM
    To those who have no idea about design? Really? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and there are plenty of us that think the flat design is just absolutely ugly; and who are you to question our tastes, oh ultimate master of design? What a joke of a comment.

And the bit about cameras on BlackBerry's has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion about the UI design, so thus is completely irrelevant.

So again I'll just say that I hope BlackBerry gives us all a fully featured theme engine so we can theme every aspect of the UI to each one of individual tastes, because as it stands I and other loath the absolutely boring, unimaginative and lazy flat design.

P.S.: Your rebuttal is neither needed nor wanted.

Posted via CB10
    I think the 'camera' point is pretty valid! Since many users have gone against the flat ui and compared the same to a three year old's colouring book! The absence of cameras was attributed to the fact that BlackBerrys were business devices and didn't "need" them! Similarly, people have been harping about the need for a more "professional" looking interface as against the 10.3 redesign... IMHO, BlackBerry is changing the UI for a number of reasons and not just for the sake of "beautifying" the overall design : a flatter design template (correct me if I'm wrong) utilizes less ram than one completely dependent on Skeuomorphism... a simpler layout with an identifiable set of colours will improve the user experience (users remember icons through colours and shapes; not their names scribbled below the apps)... Battery life will also get a huge bump up due to plainer graphics and will also result in faster loading times (the new Twitter app for example).

Moreover, I feel that new features are being totally neglected due to this constant debate about the "UI being ripped off from iOS 7"... Apple DID NOT invent the flat ui template or "flat design" and nor did Microsoft for that matter!

As long as the bb10 os is fast, smooth, secure and feature rich, I think I'll be more than willing to give the new BB10 experience a shot at WOWING me all over again!

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    spikesolie, redsaph and codeslinga like this.
    05-27-14 01:10 PM
    Does anyone know if the dark theme will continue in 10.3?

The flat appearance is one thing but flat and white will be too much. I'm hoping all the white is just for the early development stages.

emPowered by ?
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    05-27-14 01:29 PM

The flat appearance is one thing but flat and white will be too much. I'm hoping all the white is just for the early development stages.

emPowered by ?
    I guess the white layout will be for devices like the z10... while the rest will get the black theme... I'm open to the idea of letting users choose as well!

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    05-27-14 01:32 PM
    a flatter design template (correct me if I'm wrong) utilizes less ram than one completely dependent on Skeuomorphism… […] Battery life will also get a huge bump up due to plainer graphics and will also result in faster loading times (the new Twitter app for example).
    That is not necessarily true and I doubt that it’s much of a consideration with today’s hardware anyway. Skeuomorphism is actually not the right word in this context, the opposite of flat design would be rich design. 10.3 retains most if not all skeuomorphs of 10.2, but the aesthetics are different. 10.2 is a flat design with richer UI controls, whereas on 10.3 they’re both flat.

Flat design can be purely a matter of taste, but I think that there is a usability aspect to it that should not be overlooked. Toggles, drop-down menus, buttons, etc. To me, they all look less interactive with the flat design. That’s the point where I prefer a richer design. Icons can be as flat as you want, as long as they are distinctive and descriptive, they are fine from a usability standpoint. But I think buttons should have some aesthetic to them that allows you to see easily that they can be interacted with, regardless of your experience.

I also think that BlackBerry 10 uses some really nice custom UI components to create a visual hierarchy and distinction. The contacts app is one example. Notice the use of shadows when viewing a contact, both to divide the segmented control (‘Details | Updates | Activity’) from the rest of the content, and grouping certain data together (e.g. phone numbers). This is something I tried to recreate with a flat design, but it’s really not as easy. You simply have fewer tools to your disposal when you’re limited to a two-dimensional design that is only based on colours and lines.

Yep. 10.3 will even have some additions that make it easier for developers to support those two themes and to implement a theme switcher that works without having to restart the app. The only thing that’s missing is a system-wide setting for users. Currently, only the Z10 will use the bright theme, all others use the dark one.
    Last edited by Eitot; 05-27-14 at 03:00 PM.
    peter0328 and ssbtech like this.
    05-27-14 02:28 PM
    OLO, these ugly 10.3 pictures could draw my 10y old sister in the mspaint on Win98...
    peter0328 and p_r_a_g_m_a like this.
    05-27-14 03:22 PM
    Currently, only the Z10 will use the bright theme, all others use the dark one.
    Glad to hear that since I ditched Android mainly because I couldn't stand black menus and backgrounds anymore. I love Blackberry white menus and backgrounds.

Posted via CB10
    bruce73 and ssbtech like this.
    05-27-14 07:09 PM
    Not a fan of the black theme either.
    chalx likes this.
    05-27-14 07:16 PM
    I'm a designer. And I love the new flat design like crazy. I'm drooling for it. To those who have no idea about design. Design, just like fashion, has trends.
    Just remember mike larzidis said he didn't want cameras on Blackberry's at that time, because they were business phones.

From Zarafet my Z30.
    Pepperidge farm remembers.
    05-27-14 10:30 PM
    Having been using the 10.3 leak for 2 weeks now I can honestly say I have no idea east 10.2.1 used to look like anymore. Seriously and I have no complaints. Things are just as easy to pick out before. Even the keyboard is flat colored and I have had no problems with it and that was my biggest concern

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 12:00 AM
    Having been using the 10.3 leak for 2 weeks now I can honestly say I have no idea east 10.2.1 used to look like anymore. Seriously and I have no complaints. Things are just as easy to pick out before. Even the keyboard is flat colored and I have had no problems with it and that was my biggest concern

Posted via CB10
    OK, we get it, you love the new UI; but I hate to break it to you, some of us do NOT like it. Actually, some of us straight up hate it.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-28-14 01:12 AM
    OK, we get it, you love the new UI; but I hate to break it to you, some of us do NOT like it. Actually, some of us straight up hate it.

Posted via CB10
    *yaaaaawn* whatever you say won't matter. The UI is gonna be flat. And there's nothing you can do about it. *smiling my happiest smile ever*

From Zarafet my Z30.
    05-28-14 07:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    How long have you been using 10.3 now?
    What would you like to change in detail?

I prefer to look on the positive things like more screen space reserved to show actual content (thinner Action and Title bar).
    The primary action is overlapping content you could not see on 10.2 anyways.
    Change of colors does not really matter to me as long as the overall user experience improves. The flat style is something I guess I can live with.
    It's not a change in usability but rather in UI comprehension and intuition IMHO. (still - good locks is what sells)

If you don't like it, don't use it. You might like the UX once it's finished It's all work in progress.
    05-28-14 07:28 AM
    Agreed, as above, work in progress has now provided 10 pages of feedback. Hopefully the final result will be enough to keep the majority satisfied, can't please everyone.

Z30 144GB
    05-28-14 07:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's what I'm curious about.. have you actually used it or is this based on hatred developed from screen shots?

Also whether you hate it or ... realize they can't please everyone and what you hate I and lots more people welcome.. move on and look for the positives. The text selection is better and android runtime is significantly better... but hey you are welcome to not upgrade if the ui design is really that more important than functionality

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 10:51 AM
    If you use your phone for texting friends and taking cat videos, then perhaps you might be indifferent to the UI.

If you're busy, in meetings, having to look things up quickly, having to put things in your calendar quickly, adding contacts in a rush, etc... you need a UI that makes it very clear what elements you interact with.

The UI needs to be very explicit with regards to what elements are interactive. Every Android phone I've used falls flat on its face in this department with menus of different sizes and design popping up all over the place.
    05-28-14 11:54 AM
    If you use your phone for texting friends and taking cat videos, then perhaps you might be indifferent to the UI.

If you're busy, in meetings, having to look things up quickly, having to put things in your calendar quickly, adding contacts in a rush, etc... you need a UI that makes it very clear what elements you interact with.

The UI needs to be very explicit with regards to what elements are interactive. Every Android phone I've used falls flat on its face in this department with menus of different sizes and design popping up all over the place.
    Yea I'm sure cat videos is all my phone is for. I mean there's absolutely 0 link to me using my pc less and less and altogether forgetting I have a playbook because of my phone....

But I'm sure there aren't other people with other flat colored OS that have meetings and such... only the high powered special people on cb

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 12:15 PM
    I know a lot of people using that other flat colored OS which are unhappy with UI change. They are still devoted to their platform, but they had some rough time to adjust, and they are still commenting how old UI was better.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-28-14 05:10 PM
    I know a lot of people using that other flat colored OS which are unhappy with UI change. They are still devoted to their platform, but they had some rough time to adjust, and they are still commenting how old UI was better.

Posted via CB10
    The way I see it, once it's past aesthetics and it actually affects someone's productivity they would not be devoted to said platform...

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 06:12 PM
    The way I see it, once it's past aesthetics and it actually affects someone's productivity they would not be devoted to said platform...

Posted via CB10
    Maybe, but there is other factors to consider. Beside fact that long time iOS users had invested a lot in apps, they still consider their devices as as premium commodity and they are not feeling a need to switch platforms despite dislike of new UI.
    Anyway, new UI is here to stay and us that don't like it have to try to accept it.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 12:55 AM
    I refuse to switch to Android. Partly due to security, partly due to the lame UI I keep finding on Android phones.

The UI change on BlackBerry 10 won't make me switch, but it will lead to a frustrating experience that will make me wonder why I stuck with BlackBerry. I wanted something different, something functional... but it's quickly becoming the same old generic junk everyone else is pumping out these days.

And before you say the flat UI sells phones, I'd say buyers of those phones put up with the mediocrity because 1) the app selection and 2) they don't know what benefit a rich UI can provide.
    05-29-14 02:00 AM
    I refuse to switch to Android. Partly due to security, partly due to the lame UI I keep finding on Android phones.

The UI change on BlackBerry 10 won't make me switch, but it will lead to a frustrating experience that will make me wonder why I stuck with BlackBerry. I wanted something different, something functional... but it's quickly becoming the same old generic junk everyone else is pumping out these days.

And before you say the flat UI sells phones, I'd say buyers of those phones put up with the mediocrity because 1) the app selection and 2) they don't know what benefit a rich UI can provide.
    Lol... a change in aesthetics makes something less functional? that's new! Functionality also depends on whether the user makes an effort to use something to its full potential. I agree, that it will take some time getting used to... and I'm with BlackBerry on this one...some change is better than no change at all!

spikesolie likes this.
    05-29-14 02:29 AM

What are the benefits a rich UI can provide? Because so far I'm seeing none. I'm only just feeling like I got a new phone in terms of aesthetics but really I like the OS more because of the new FUNCTIONALITY. You know the quick action for emails in the hub (file/delete), the 2 handed quick settings, endless folders are all things that I'm loving. The aesthetics have done absolutely nothing for me in terms of increased or decreased productivity.

It strikes me that you are just hating to hate. I understand it's not your favorite way but to say it makes it less functional is silly. They didn't change the source codes you know... they simply changed Hex codes for all you know... colors went from gradient to solid. I miss the part where you are supposed to tell me you are also being less functional with all the flat websites online these days.. you find it hard to click on things because the colors are solid dark blue rather than dark2light blue /:

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 11:26 AM
    They've done a lot more than change hex codes from gradient to solid.

Maybe you can post some other screenshots of pages where there are a mix of buttons and drop-downs in the flat style so I can make a better decisions on BlackBerry's specific implementation of "flat".

Several of us have provided several examples of how we feel a rich UI makes using the device easier by more readily identifying what elements of a screen are interactive. You've yet to make a solid case for how flat UI improves a device's usability. Perhaps you can do that for us?
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-29-14 11:48 AM
    I believe it's pretty similar
    10.3 UI design...-img_20140529_115938.png

As for why flat colors are good, well for one many BlackBerry users are not exclusively BlackBerry users as they have other devices. It gives an Harmonious feel to the devices especially since it's becoming an industry standard. Secondly it provides a more streamlined feel. This I'm not sure on but if it's anything like coding a website, all those blue bar are images that have to be designed and then source coded, which is now replaced by either nothing or a flat simple hex code that can be changed easily which hopefully will move us into an era where we can change the whole feel of the app (mini-theming) if you will.

Having used snap2chat I kinda hope i can see this someday.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 12:04 PM
236 ... 678910