I'm not a huge fan of the new icon design, which is really the only change they made to the UI. Mine will be hidden anyway so it won't matter much. I hope to take advantage of the assistant and certainly continue using the search, making the icons useless regardless.

Either way, 10.3 can't be released soon enough

emPowered by ?
    05-25-14 05:36 PM
    10.3 UI design...-img_20140525_174405.png

I really do not like the design of the new os.

This is supposed to be a "professional device"

I follow blackberry very closely and I know they were up for sale, but I can't recall them being purchased by Attachment 273648

All kidding aside, IOS went this route last year and I know a ton of users were very disappointed and wanted to downgrade.

I can understand simplifying and making it more user friendly.

I just don't understand why you follow in their steps with this "childish" color scheme rather than setting yourself apart from the herd.

Posted on a Post-It!
    bruce73 likes this.
    05-25-14 05:49 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140525_174405.png 
Views:	735 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	273647

I really do not like the design of the new os.

This is supposed to be a "professional device"

I follow blackberry very closely and I know they were up for sale, but I can't recall them being purchased by Attachment 273648

All kidding aside, IOS went this route last year and I know a ton of users were very disappointed and wanted to downgrade.

I can understand simplifying and making it more user friendly.

I just don't understand why you follow in their steps with this "childish" color scheme rather than setting yourself apart from the herd.

Posted on a Post-It!
    What color scheme? Green? Blue? Ios pioneered green and blue colors?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 08:02 PM
    My mistake I was looking at the icons at the bottom, not the actual icons themselves. Does anyone agree that having extra icons for search, camera, phone, settings, etc. Is kinda senseless. For example; I'd understand if there wasn't a way to access settings via the quick toggles . But again why do I need an icon for the hub if it's only a swipe to the edge?

It could be for those coming from another platform or legacy BlackBerry. But I'd say it would be nice to be able to eliminate some of those unnecessary icons if I decided I didn't need them on any of my screens.

Posted via CB10
    Some people like to have the hub icon for example because it resets the hub rather than leave it the way it was.

As for the bottom icons I'm guessing it's for familiarity for new users. Some people like to have their icons big and bold and THERE... like customize their home page so they know where everything important to them is

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 08:03 PM
    Camera icon got worse and the phone icon is a bit too generic. All others did well

Posted via CB10
    More like "Camera icon becomes Instagram icon"

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-25-14 08:50 PM
    I honestly despise the primary action part, the one that extends into the app. I really don't see why it has to be so invasive. Can't it be contained in the action bar itself?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    ssbtech likes this.
    05-25-14 08:56 PM
    More like "Camera icon becomes Instagram icon"

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    True that

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 09:34 PM
    I honestly despise the primary action part, the one that extends into the app. I really don't see why it has to be so invasive. Can't it be contained in the action bar itself?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    Like it currently is in 10.2.1, you'd think they'd at least give these sort of changes some serious thought.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 10:05 PM
    Looks great.. have they updated the UK on the lock screen?.. it looks so dated on 10.2

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 10:20 PM
    Like it currently is in 10.2.1, you'd think they'd at least give these sort of changes some serious thought.

Posted via CB10
    It really bugs me. What if there's a text behind it? What's wrong with the current system? And why does it have to extend into the app? Isn't the primary reason for the action bar is to provide actions in a "not in your face" way? The action would be directly in the app itself were the developers want it to be so.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-25-14 10:24 PM
    I meant the over the top bright toyish color schemes throughout the os .

I think it looks juvenile compared to the look of 10.2

Posted on a Post-It!
    Ragbert likes this.
    05-25-14 10:47 PM
    I meant the over the top bright toyish color schemes throughout the os .

I think it looks juvenile compared to the look of 10.2

Posted on a Post-It!
    You still aren't giving me much to work with. What color schemes? Green? Blue? Red?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 12:50 PM
    It really bugs me. What if there's a text behind it? What's wrong with the current system? And why does it have to extend into the app? Isn't the primary reason for the action bar is to provide actions in a "not in your face" way? The action would be directly in the app itself were the developers want it to be so.
    I’m with you on this. It seems like a questionable addition to me. The action bar can only ever show up to four action items at once, if the space is not already taken by tabs. Moreover, their current guidelines suggest placing more important actions in more prominent locations. How could there be a need to highlight a particular action even more? The only situation where I could imagine that feature to be useful is on an empty screen where there is no content. But for those situations, it is already practice to create a button in the middle of the screen. If the page contains content and does not necessarily require an action to be taken, I would find this feature bizarr.
    ssbtech likes this.
    05-26-14 01:07 PM
    I�m with you on this. It seems like a questionable addition to me. The action bar can only ever show up to four action items at once, if the space is not already taken by tabs. Moreover, their current guidelines suggest placing more important actions in more prominent locations. How could there be a need to highlight a particular action even more? The only situation where I could imagine that feature to be useful is on an empty screen where there is no content. But for those situations, it is already practice to create a button in the middle of the screen. If the page contains content and does not necessarily require an action to be taken, I would find this feature bizarr.
    Agrees it's not ideal...however after using for the past w weeks it kinda gets normal. you can just scroll past it easily

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 01:14 PM
    Agrees it's not ideal...however after using for the past w weeks it kinda gets normal. you can just scroll past it easily
    I take it, there is no option to turn it off?
    05-26-14 01:17 PM
    I take it, there is no option to turn it off?
    Lol who are you kidding (: but yeah no. I probably wouldn't have turned it off either even tho its got absolutely 0 functionality for me... simply because I like new experiences inside my old experiences.

Basically I like to try new things without say getting a new operating system. Same reason I welcome the new flat design even though 10.2.1 was probably prime,... it doesn't bother me and it's different
    On the bright side I have 10.3.0296 which is an early build leak and even latest isn't in the 10.3.1xxx yet so long way to go nothing is certain. I'm excited for a thousand level leak.

Loving the new device manager though... active frames useful

Attachment 273901
    05-26-14 02:43 PM
    I don't mind trying new things either. Keyworkd: TRY. I don't want crap design forced upon me.

This is the problem with phones. They're one guy's idea of ideal but they seldom appeal to everyone.
    peter0328 and scrapmetal58 like this.
    05-26-14 05:34 PM
    I don't mind trying new things either. Keyworkd: TRY. I don't want crap design forced upon me.

This is the problem with phones. They're one guy's idea of ideal but they seldom appeal to everyone.
    That's the problem with humans though... one man's turn off is another man's turn on.. or so.

It's become obvious now that the z10's battery life was smaller (compared to z30) because they used a focus group.... and most likely the majority of the people they asked favored removable battery over bigger sealed battery.

Basically they probably already exposed their designs to a group of people, with majority of them favoring it...

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 05:55 PM
    I'm a designer. And I love the new flat design like crazy. I'm drooling for it. To those who have no idea about design. Design, just like fashion, has trends.
    Just remember mike larzidis said he didn't want cameras on Blackberry's at that time, because they were business phones.

From Zarafet my Z30.
    Alvin Loh, LeeU1911 and redsaph like this.
    05-27-14 12:35 AM
    I'm a designer. And I love the new flat design like crazy. I'm drooling for it. To those who have no idea about design. Design, just like fashion, has trends.
    Just remember mike larzidis said he didn't want cameras on Blackberry's at that time, because they were business phones.

From Zarafet my Z30.
    To those who have no idea about design? Really? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and there are plenty of us that think the flat design is just absolutely ugly; and who are you to question our tastes, oh ultimate master of design? What a joke of a comment.

And the bit about cameras on BlackBerry's has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion about the UI design, so thus is completely irrelevant.

So again I'll just say that I hope BlackBerry gives us all a fully featured theme engine so we can theme every aspect of the UI to each one of individual tastes, because as it stands I and other loath the absolutely boring, unimaginative and lazy flat design.

P.S.: Your rebuttal is neither needed nor wanted.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 01:00 AM
    To those who have no idea about design? Really? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and there are plenty of us that think the flat design is just absolutely ugly; and who are you to question our tastes, oh ultimate master of design? What a joke of a comment.

And the bit about cameras on BlackBerry's has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion about the UI design, so thus is completely irrelevant.

So again I'll just say that I hope BlackBerry gives us all a fully featured theme engine so we can theme every aspect of the UI to each one of individual tastes, because as it stands I and other loath the absolutely boring, unimaginative and lazy flat design.

Posted via CB10
    Have you eaten today?

From Zarafet my Z30.
    redsaph and devin266 like this.
    05-27-14 06:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    How much do you want to bet you aren't getting themes anytime soon? X,'D

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 10:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    Also I think you might have taken his comment too personal
    I fancy he means to those who aren't much into designs... as much as you'd like to tell me beauty is in the eye of the beholder... id like to say beauty =/ = design.

We see design trends all the time. At one point I remember it was perfectly the best thing in the world for a guy to wear boot cut jeans. I thought I looked great in them. I wore one of my old pants the other day and hated it even though it fit the same. Designers set trends that might not be beautiful but it's trendy.. and right now BlackBerry is just following the trend. Baaa baaa baaa black sheep lol

Posted via CB10
    redsaph likes this.
    05-27-14 10:27 AM

From Zarafet my Z30.
    I just wish designers wouldn't jump on band wagons so much. The arts are about personal expressions and originality and it would be nice for corporations to pick a unique design for them rather than following suit. As with most trends, they fade. And when we look back we almost always remark on how ugly and stupid they were. Originality is often timeless.

I'm not knocking you or your comment, I just wish BlackBerry would come up with something original. It is okay to be different.

Cheers!

emPowered by ?
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-27-14 11:39 AM
    Trendy isn't always functional, and sometimes it gets in the way.
    05-27-14 12:21 PM
236 ... 56789 ...