Static is useless then. Who chose those "primary " buttons
    Developers. It’s part of the 10.3 API.

I'm 100% sure there's no way you click on those words and don't notice the blue radio button. It's got nothing to do with how humans interact with control. It makes a lot of sense to you but I'm sure radio buttons have been around for ages and people didn't get lost back then.

It's colored and I just tried to ignore it and it still is hard to ignore. When you click something, a certain part of the button turns blue.. how hard is it to see idk. Just because apple does it a certain way doesn't mean it's the best way. My pc still uses radio button and so do my tablet
    I’m sorry, but you just don’t get my point. That’s fine, we’ll leave it at that. I’m not even advocating that we do it the Apple way, but I say, how Apple does it here makes a lot of sense to me. It are these little details that get my attention, which says a lot about my satisfaction with the rest of the OS.
    05-23-14 06:21 PM
    The UI is still being worked on. Just for your info. 10.3 isn't finished yet just like the Q30 lol.

Posted via CB10
    The UI is most certainly being worked on; but it's stands to reason it's only going to be slight changes from here on out and not a full UI change that we'll see from 10.2 to 10.3, which is very unfortunate for those of us that can not stand the dull, lifeless flat design.

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech, peter0328 and chalx like this.
    05-23-14 06:42 PM
    The UI is still being worked on. Just for your info. 10.3 isn't finished yet just like the Q30 lol.
    We get that. But it's been changed substantially enough that what we see is probably pretty close to what we can expect to see.
    chalx likes this.
    05-23-14 06:56 PM
    Here's a screen shot from the Flickr app.

As you can see, it's a very text heavy page. It's also somewhat low-contrast. Take the phone outside and you'll have a little difficulty seeing where the checkboxes are.

The "Preferences" heading looks like it's the button to adjust preferences for the "Auto Sync" feature. At first glance, it's not immediately obvious what element is a heading or a button.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...psa29f9df3.png

Now let's look at a settings page in the BB10.2 control panel.

It's bright - it's easy to see even outside in full sun. Sections (Storage details, Access to Storage, etc...) are well delineated. Elements you interact with are immediately obvious. Buttons look like buttons, toggles look like toggles. You're not going to tap on things that aren't buttons.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...ps85da40ab.png
    Haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. That has more to do with the Grey color chosen.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 07:55 PM
    Haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. That has more to do with the Grey color chosen.
    Do you have any explanations for your position that the flat style BB is moving towards is superior from a human-interface perspective?
    05-23-14 08:16 PM
    Do you have any explanations for your position that the flat style BB is moving towards is superior from a human-interface perspective?
    Lol its art and design. Everything is subjective genius. Being a graphic designer (freelance) I've used both and I don't mind. I've been using the gradients for a few years now with ios 3-6? And now BlackBerry.... so I welcome something new especially since the whole industry is moving towards it. a lot of young people these days are used to this flat design anyways that they consider gradients a bit "old".. not to generalize but I guess...

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 09:15 PM
    This thread is great. But at this point no one seems to say anything profoundly different from the next. "I don't like flat UI". " They're just copying IOS and Android ". What this update means for all of us BlackBerry users is that they are pushing through the struggle ahead and fighting to keep the business alive. Therefore, who care if you personally like the "flat UI" or not. Thus means you still get to appreciate and use the mobile os of your choice. Rather than BlackBerry going the way of Palm and their phones and os. I think it would be good if people accepted this change as somehow much more positive for the company and its users.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie and redsaph like this.
    05-24-14 09:43 AM
    I would remove it. As you say, for destructive actions its always a good practice to request a confirmation. Presently, you won�t be prompted at all once you press delete in the context menu, if you checked that option before. I think it would be better to use the toggle in the Hub settings to make your choice. After all, once you check that box, you will necessarily have to back to settings to change it again.

Considering that this popup only appears after you pressed delete in the context menu, I think that the context is clear. If you look at the picture in my previous post, you�ll see that Apple specifically highlights the cancel button and places it in the most common position. The choice between the two deletion modes is only an extension of your initial choice to delete the item in the first place.
    And it is customary to allow power users to choose not to be notified.

The context is clear. The ability to deal with the pop up is the problem. I personally think that making everything a button in that context is a preposterous idea, because then you'll increase the risk at which people choose the wrong button because they slipped, and you make the user focus on not choosing the wrong button instead of choosing the right button.

The radio button approach allows people to clearly see "this is what I choose" with distinctive pointer, and allow them to rethink before committing. Not everything has to be in radio button, but not everything has to be buttons either.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-24-14 10:37 AM
    And it is customary to allow power users to choose not to be notified.

The context is clear. The ability to deal with the pop up is the problem. I personally think that making everything a button in that context is a preposterous idea, because then you'll increase the risk at which people choose the wrong button because they slipped, and you make the user focus on not choosing the wrong button instead of choosing the right button.

The radio button approach allows people to clearly see "this is what I choose" with distinctive pointer, and allow them to rethink before committing. Not everything has to be in radio button, but not everything has to be buttons either.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    That's what I'm saying. Being able to see clearly "I chose this " and choosing it isn't immediately an action without confirming is appreciated

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 11:24 AM
    This thread is great. But at this point no one seems to say anything profoundly different from the next. "I don't like flat UI". " They're just copying IOS and Android ". What this update means for all of us BlackBerry users is that they are pushing through the struggle ahead and fighting to keep the business alive. Therefore, who care if you personally like the "flat UI" or not. Thus means you still get to appreciate and use the mobile os of your choice. Rather than BlackBerry going the way of Palm and their phones and os. I think it would be good if people accepted this change as somehow much more positive for the company and its users.
    The flat UI design isn't what made iPhones popular. It's not what made Android popular. Apps and functionality is what made them popular. BlackBerry seems to be dumping resources into an aspect of the phone that's unlikely to lead to a boost in popularity.
    scrapmetal58 and chalx like this.
    05-24-14 12:10 PM
    You don't seem to know or understand the design of "minimalism". BlackBerry's current icons do not represent a minimalist design.

Posted via CB10
    You don't seem to have reading comprehension. Aside from the icons, 10.2.1 is quite minimalist. The black with white font is minimalist. There are different representations of minimalism.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-24-14 12:45 PM
    The flat UI design isn't what made iPhones popular. It's not what made Android popular. Apps and functionality is what made them popular. BlackBerry seems to be dumping resources into an aspect of the phone that's unlikely to lead to a boost in popularity.
    Just so we are clear.. you want BlackBerry to convert their design team into software gurus? How knowledgeable are you.

Whether those people draw just a cube on a piece of paper or not they are getting paid. There are different teams and you thinking BlackBerry is just one giant team in a huge room sounds a bit in ignorant and at most slightly dumb

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 01:00 PM
    Well one thing I really miss that I had on my Torch 9810 is being able to set the system font. I have the Z10 and looked everywhere in the system with no luck. BlackBerry please bring back this option with the 10.3 update!

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 03:52 PM
    Just so we are clear.. you want BlackBerry to convert their design team into software gurus? How knowledgeable are you.

Whether those people draw just a cube on a piece of paper or not they are getting paid. There are different teams and you thinking BlackBerry is just one giant team in a huge room sounds a bit in ignorant and at most slightly dumb
    Where did I say BlackBerry is one giant team in a room?

Regardless, putting resources into redesigning elements that are already very functional and readily identifiable as interactive is dumb when there are other aspects of the phone's UI that could do with improvements.
    chalx likes this.
    05-24-14 05:26 PM

Regardless, putting resources into redesigning elements that are already very functional and readily identifiable as interactive is dumb when there are other aspects of the phone's UI that could do with improvements.
    They should of improved what they already had and I agree. Such as the removal of grey boxes and pinnable apps on homescreen. But we don't make the decisions and I'll most likely still use BlackBerry 10 regardless. The BB10 experience to its core will still have the same unique flow.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-24-14 05:45 PM
    10.3 UI design...-crackberry-image-5-.jpg

This image was posted in another thread.

When 10.3 was first leaked I must say I didnt like the design of the icons much.

I can understand going "flat" but I thought that it was too simplistic and lazily designed.

Then someone posted this screen cap of windermere's "app selection" page.

Id just like to say that the remember, maps, BBM and settings icons are what I hope the final versions look like.

I think the phone icon is terrible.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    05-24-14 06:04 PM

That's my point. They have a design team and whether those people draw a simple cube on a piece of paper or not, they get paid. It's not your regular job where if you don't go and do work you don't get paid. Those people are on their payroll. Saying they are putting resources into redesigning elements is silly because those designers aren't freelancers per se

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 11:57 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image(5).jpg 
Views:	1515 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	273419

When 10.3 was first leaked I must say I didnt like the design of the icons much.

I can understand going "flat" but I thought that it was too simplistic and lazily designed.

Id just like to say that the remember, maps, BBM and settings icons are what I hope the final versions look like.

Camera icon got worse and the phone icon is a bit too generic. All others did well

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 11:58 PM
    Camera icon got worse and the phone icon is a bit too generic. All others did well

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure they did anything at all with those? They look absolutely the same as they did before.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 08:14 AM
    Are you sure they did anything at all with those? They look absolutely the same as they did before.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah the camera app looks the same kinda just flatter. The phone app is slightly different, just circular instead of square. It's like everything is still the same just flatter and a different color.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 11:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    On 19.3.0296 it's super different

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 11:24 AM
    On 19.3.0296 it's super different

Posted via CB10
    Yes, on 19.3.296 it looks like turntable... or Hal's eye... or something like that...

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 12:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    The "nicer" icons I mentioned is new.

05-25-14 12:50 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image(5).jpg 
Views:	1515 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	273419

I agree. I'm not a fan of flat design but I'm totally willing to see what they come out with (as if I had a choice ! Lol).

I used to use themes all the time, but that was more to get the functionality I wanted on my home screen than because of the looks. Of course I played with some design aspects but continually came back to the one theme that gave me the optimal mix of info on my home screen.

Since I got my Z10, I haven't actually missed themes. The one thing I really needed, a calendar on my main screen, BlackBerry took care of in the Hub. And other than that, everything else works so well and fast, I just haven't missed the themes at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 03:59 PM
    Yes, on 19.3.296 it looks like turntable... or Hal's eye... or something like that...

Posted via CB10
    My mistake I was looking at the icons at the bottom, not the actual icons themselves. Does anyone agree that having extra icons for search, camera, phone, settings, etc. Is kinda senseless. For example; I'd understand if there wasn't a way to access settings via the quick toggles . But again why do I need an icon for the hub if it's only a swipe to the edge?

It could be for those coming from another platform or legacy BlackBerry. But I'd say it would be nice to be able to eliminate some of those unnecessary icons if I decided I didn't need them on any of my screens.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 05:31 PM
236 ... 45678 ...