I think 10.2.1 is already quite minimalist. Sure, the icons have gradients and a 3D effect, and the UI has gradients, but I think it's beautiful, minimalist, and simple.

Posted via CB10
    You don't seem to know or understand the design of "minimalism". BlackBerry's current icons do not represent a minimalist design.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    05-23-14 05:48 AM
    Eitot, you speak a lot of sense.
    Thanks!

A little "Old and new". The old has some structure, well defined buttons and its visually interesting.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...psd9f09a24.jpg
    I agree, from a visual point of view, the left one looks more interactive. The controls, with their shadows and shines, induce people to touch them, play with them.

But from a usability point of view, they're equally bad. I don�t consider it good practice to include radio buttons and checkboxes on a popup that is meant to be a response to an action. The left one would be more responsive and user-friendly if it simply contained a label, a �Delete from Hub� button, a �Delete from Hub and Server� and cancel button. The right one is what a popup would look like on Microsoft Windows. The OK button is so meaningless without having a look at all the options. The UI would be more straightforward if the OK button were gone and the radio buttons were turned into buttons.

Compare it with iOS:
    10.3 UI design...-popup3btns.png10.3 UI design...-yvmps.png
    Last edited by Eitot; 05-23-14 at 08:16 AM.
    05-23-14 08:00 AM
    If you were to make everything a button for the left, where would you put the "don't remind me again" check box?

The radio button will also allow people to play with the options without "accidentally pressing the wrong button", which would happen if everything is a button. Multiple choices and one confirmation. Considering that it's a DELETE, which is destructive, you DON'T want people to accidentally choose the wrong one.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-23-14 10:58 AM
    I find it nearly impossible to read the icons and text on that screen against that wallpaper.

At first glance, I didn't even realize there were icons where the guy's head is.

Seeing the icons is fine, but what if you have multiple music, photo, browser or other apps? You'd want to have the name of the app clearly visible to ensure you're launching the correct app.

But the bigger picture here is BlackBerry forcing users into one UI paradigm with little to no choice in how users want their phone to look. If BB could get away with it, they'd have a wallpaper that you couldn't change.
    When you hold the phone you can tell.

I think regardless, the old way wasn't the way I liked it so you have to take it for what it's worth : some group will always be unsatisfied. If you think BlackBerry forces things on people, try using iTunes

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 11:57 AM
    Thanks!

I agree, from a visual point of view, the left one looks more interactive. The controls, with their shadows and shines, induce people to touch them, play with them.

But from a usability point of view, they're equally bad. I don�t consider it good practice to include radio buttons and checkboxes on a popup that is meant to be a response to an action. The left one would be more responsive and user-friendly if it simply contained a label, a �Delete from Hub� button, a �Delete from Hub and Server� and cancel button. The right one is what a popup would look like on Microsoft Windows. The OK button is so meaningless without having a look at all the options. The UI would be more straightforward if the OK button were gone and the radio buttons were turned into buttons.

Compare it with iOS:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Popup3btns.png 
Views:	653 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	273090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YVMPS.png 
Views:	620 
Size:	566.3 KB 
ID:	273088
    What happens when you accidentally click the wrong button? Infact I hate that ios one passionately. Even apple moved on from it
    05-23-14 11:58 AM
    Lol I don't get the complains . If something pops up on your freaking screen , that means it wants some interaction. "One looks like buttons" "one wants interactions " seriously. You can't click out of either of those pop-ups until you've selected an option and when you hold the phone the 2 options are polar opposites and far apart. Unless someone's a dum*** idk how one can't easily tell the 2 options apart.
    Oh and finally, to get either of those notifications, you either have to "delete" an email or "set as " a wallpaper so obviously you expect some sort of dialog box coming up right after. Grasping at straws Is all I see. So again the interaction is expected
    Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling and Qaddafi like this.
    05-23-14 12:01 PM
    See? It's not rocket science
    10.3 UI design...-img_20140523_120514.png

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 12:05 PM
    If you were to make everything a button for the left, where would you put the "don't remind me again" check box?
    I would remove it. As you say, for destructive actions its always a good practice to request a confirmation. Presently, you won’t be prompted at all once you press delete in the context menu, if you checked that option before. I think it would be better to use the toggle in the Hub settings to make your choice. After all, once you check that box, you will necessarily have to back to settings to change it again.

The radio button will also allow people to play with the options without "accidentally pressing the wrong button", which would happen if everything is a button. Multiple choices and one confirmation. Considering that it's a DELETE, which is destructive, you DON'T want people to accidentally choose the wrong one.
    Considering that this popup only appears after you pressed delete in the context menu, I think that the context is clear. If you look at the picture in my previous post, you’ll see that Apple specifically highlights the cancel button and places it in the most common position. The choice between the two deletion modes is only an extension of your initial choice to delete the item in the first place.
    05-23-14 12:11 PM
    What happens when you accidentally click the wrong button? Infact I hate that ios one passionately. Even apple moved on from it
    See my last response. The beauty of specifically worded buttons is that a user knows what they click on. Compare this with a separate radio button. You cannot understand the result of the delete action without checking which radio button is selected. It’s been demonstrated that not all people don’t pay that much attention, which is why a well-worded, well-designed and well-placed button can have a much better result. These simple things can make a huge difference, even if they are not important to you specifically.

Apple didn’t move away from it at all. It’s part of their human-interface guidelines.10.3 UI design...-action_sheet_7_2x.png
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    05-23-14 12:24 PM
    See? It's not rocket science

Name:	IMG_20140523_120514.png 
Views:	1353 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	273124
    It's sparse and lazy design.

It kind of, sort of works in the context you show there, but consider many of the Android apps that have dialog boxes of varying sizes in various places on the page. You never know where they're going to pop up, and I've sat next to people I've been giving tutorials with who try to tap somewhere other than one of the poorly marked buttons on the dialog box.

That blue "quick action" button thing they're doing now is equally as silly. "Reply All" might be a common action for some people, but for other users "Reply" might be the preferred action.

The button doesn't need to be that big, and why is part of the button floating above the toolbar and covering the message display box? The vagueness of the design is what drives me nuts. The soft pastel colour scheme reduces contrast between UI elements and creates more "think points" that Michael Clewley so badly tried to remove with the new atrociously designed incoming call screen.
    05-23-14 12:26 PM
    See my last response.
    I mostly agree with you. Even BBOS had the "Delete from handheld" and "Delete from handheld and mailbox" options as buttons.

I think they moved to a radio button to accommodate the check-box to remember the setting.
    05-23-14 12:31 PM
    That blue "quick action" button thing they're doing now is equally as silly. "Reply All" might be a common action for some people, but for other users "Reply" might be the preferred action.

The button doesn't need to be that big, and why is part of the button floating above the toolbar and covering the message display box? The vagueness of the design is what drives me nuts. The soft pastel colour scheme reduces contrast between UI elements and creates more "think points" that Michael Clewley so badly tried to remove with the new atrociously designed incoming call screen.
    I agree with you there. I had doubts about this 'signature action’ the moment I saw it. I understand their intentions and reasoning, but the implementation is lacklustre, both in function (fixed as opposed to dynamic; reply all vs. reply) and design (a bubble that stands out too much and overlays part of the content). I don’t like the signature action for the following reason: not every item I view requires an action. Consider the image below, it’s a screenshot of the BlackBerry Hub. I rarely compose something in the general view of the Hub. I also receive plenty of e-mails and notifications that don’t require me to take an action at all, even if I could. Where I want to focus on the content alone, I would perceive the signature action as a distraction. A highlight like that only makes sense to me where that action is necessary, i.e. that the system wants to draw my attention to it, because I will use it anyway.

10.3 UI design...-signature-action-700x350.png
    ssbtech and peter0328 like this.
    05-23-14 12:46 PM
    I don't like how primary action button sticks out of horizontal bar, overlapping part of email message under it(you can't see it from example).

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 and tufcustomer like this.
    05-23-14 01:47 PM

So they've screwed up the dialogue boxes now too?

WTF don't I just buy a Nexus? Boring, dull and flat. The OK and Cancel buttons just look like decoration. This flat design is the most boring, dull, uninspiring and uninviting I've seen for a while.

FFS, make buttons look like buttons instead of just a background element.

Just like Android - the heading of the dialogue box is just boring text floating around somewhere. There's nothing to differentiate it from the rest of the text in the box. The shading behind the OK and Cancel buttons is nearly impossible to see. I predict that to be a nightmare to read outside.

Delineation is important. Knowing what is a heading vs. option text is important. Knowing where to tap is important.

This is everything I HATE about Android now stuffed into BB10. It's worse than the stuff that comes out the back end of

EDIT: Oh yeh, there's a link above in my text, but you won't find it - I've made it look exactly like all the other text. Just like Android's design, the link blends into the rest of the text around it. Making everything look the same whether you're supposed to interact with it or not... well that's just crap design.
    Well if you bought a Blackberry just for its UI design, then don't upgrade to 10.3...

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    spikesolie and redsaph like this.
    05-23-14 02:18 PM
    It's sparse and lazy design.

It kind of, sort of works in the context you show there, but consider many of the Android apps that have dialog boxes of varying sizes in various places on the page. You never know where they're going to pop up, and I've sat next to people I've been giving tutorials with who try to tap somewhere other than one of the poorly marked buttons on the dialog box.

I have about 16 android apps and it pretty much works almost like native when it comes to dialog boxes. Try the leak yourself. It will grow on you if anything

Oh I do agree with the blue thing but think about it
    . They said "it highlights the most used feature ".. something tells me they at some point will shoot for dynamic ism where it changes accordingly to user preference. There's more to it than they currently have now. Give it time mate
    05-23-14 03:00 PM
    I agree with you there. I had doubts about this 'signature action� the moment I saw it. I understand their intentions and reasoning, but the implementation is lacklustre, both in function (fixed as opposed to dynamic; reply all vs. reply) and design (a bubble that stands out too much and overlays part of the content). I don�t like the signature action for the following reason: not every item I view requires an action. Consider the image below, it�s a screenshot of the BlackBerry Hub. I rarely compose something in the general view of the Hub. I also receive plenty of e-mails and notifications that don�t require me to take an action at all, even if I could. Where I want to focus on the content alone, I would perceive the signature action as a distraction. A highlight like that only makes sense to me where that action is necessary, i.e. that the system wants to draw my attention to it, because I will use it anyway.

Name:	signature-action-700x350.png 
Views:	1027 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	273138
    Common mate Rome wasn't built in one day. It's named "primary action " primary action of who? It probably is meant to be dynamic and they are most likely working on it. It's speculative. Stop ripping them for at least trying to do something. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm that simple minded that a blue circle isn't a "distraction " to me.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 03:05 PM
    Anyway we won't see 10.3 release until the fall since they are going to release it with the Q30 or whatever they wish to call it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-23-14 03:06 PM
    See my last response. The beauty of specifically worded buttons is that a user knows what they click on. Compare this with a separate radio button. You cannot understand the result of the delete action without checking which radio button is selected. It�s been demonstrated that not all people don�t pay that much attention, which is why a well-worded, well-designed and well-placed button can have a much better result. These simple things can make a huge difference, even if they are not important to you specifically.

Apple didn�t move away from it at all. It�s part of their human-interface guidelines.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	action_sheet_7_2x.png 
Views:	1015 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	273126
    Just so we are clear, you do realize that you don't have to click on the specific radio dot and you can just click on the word itself and the radio button is highlighted. You can tell which one you click on because there's a shadow that follows a clicking which is similar to the one on apple.. difference being there's a radio button to confirm your choice. With apple it's "beauty " but something similar on bb is apparently ancient

Attachment 273178
    Attachment 273179
    05-23-14 03:09 PM
    Common mate Rome wasn't built in one day. It's named "primary action " primary action of who? It probably is meant to be dynamic and they are most likely working on it. It's speculative. Stop ripping them for at least trying to do something. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm that simple minded that a blue circle isn't a "distraction " to me.
    Michael Clewley already confirmed that the signature actions are static and set by the developer. I don’t like your tone. We are giving our own opinions here and it’s been very constructive so far, especially on the last few pages. Speaking about it may actually raise a bit of awareness too. The signature action is meant to draw attention. I would say that your eyes will instinctively wander to that blue bubble when it appears, especially when the rest of the UI is white with black text, or black with white text. It won’t actually ‘distract’ you from reading the content, but I’m sure I would rather not have it there at all.

10.3 UI design...-img_20140523_222752.png

Just so we are clear, you do realize that you don't have to click on the specific radio dot and you can just click on the word itself and the radio button is highlighted. You can tell which one you click on because there's a shadow that follows a clicking which is similar to the one on apple.. difference being there's a radio button to confirm your choice. With apple it's "beauty " but something similar on bb is apparently ancient
    You haven’t understood my point in that post at all. I’ll rephrase. When that popup opens, you will immediately notice the buttons. That’s because you instinctively know that a popup will ask a response from you. The problem with the radio-button approach is that it is too disconnected from the button you see. On the left picture the button says ‘Delete’, on the right picture is says ‘OK’. These words are context-specific and meaningless on their own, you cannot fully understand what these buttons do without having a look at everything else first, in this case the radio buttons. Even though the left one says ‘delete’, the mode is different depending on the radio button you select. If you use separate buttons with more specific labels, then it’s much easier to understand what you have to do. There is less thinking involved.

This isn’t just about beauty, but about considering how humans interact with such controls. It may seem trivial to you, but to me it makes a lot of sense.
    ssbtech likes this.
    05-23-14 03:47 PM
    Well if you bought a Blackberry just for its UI design, then don't upgrade to 10.3...

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    If they release 10.2.2.X with EQ and enhanced API with phone listener service which would allow call blocking, then I probably wouldn't upgrade to 10.3.
    If they skip 10.2.2.X then I will upgrade to 10.3. despite uglier interface.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 03:55 PM
    If they release 10.2.2.X with EQ and enhanced API with phone listener service which would allow call blocking, then I probably wouldn't upgrade to 10.3.
    If they skip 10.2.2.X then I will upgrade to 10.3. despite uglier interface.

Posted via CB10
    We will all eventually have to update to 10.3 at sometime; but I'm not going to stop advocating for a full featured theme engine for those of us that understand how terrible these flat UI's truly are. And the more people the ask for a full featured theme engine, the better off all of us will be.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 and chalx like this.
    05-23-14 04:01 PM
    Michael Clewley already confirmed that the signature actions are static and set by the developer. I don�t like your tone. We are giving our own opinions here and it�s been very constructive so far, especially on the last few pages. Speaking about it may actually raise a bit of awareness too. The signature action is meant to draw attention. I would say that your eyes will instinctively wander to that blue bubble when it appears, especially when the rest of the UI is white with black text, or black with white text. It won�t actually �distract� you from reading the content, but I�m sure I would rather not have it there at all.

Name:	IMG_20140523_222752.png 
Views:	1362 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	273187

You haven�t understood my point in that post at all. I�ll rephrase. When that popup opens, you will immediately notice the buttons. That�s because you instinctively know that a popup will ask a response from you. The problem with the radio-button approach is that it is too disconnected from the button you see. On the left picture the button says �Delete�, on the right picture is says �OK�. These words are context-specific and meaningless on their own, you cannot fully understand what these buttons do without having a look at everything else first, in this case the radio buttons. Even though the left one says �delete�, the mode is different depending on the radio button you select. If you use separate buttons with more specific labels, then it�s much easier to understand what you have to do. There is less thinking involved.

This isn�t just about beauty, but about considering how humans interact with such controls. It may seem trivial to you, but to me it makes a lot of sense.
    Static is useless then. Who chose those "primary " buttons

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 05:50 PM
    Michael Clewley already confirmed that the signature actions are static and set by the developer. I don�t like your tone. We are giving our own opinions here and it�s been very constructive so far, especially on the last few pages. Speaking about it may actually raise a bit of awareness too. The signature action is meant to draw attention. I would say that your eyes will instinctively wander to that blue bubble when it appears, especially when the rest of the UI is white with black text, or black with white text. It won�t actually �distract� you from reading the content, but I�m sure I would rather not have it there at all.

Name:	IMG_20140523_222752.png 
Views:	1362 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	273187

You haven�t understood my point in that post at all. I�ll rephrase. When that popup opens, you will immediately notice the buttons. That�s because you instinctively know that a popup will ask a response from you. The problem with the radio-button approach is that it is too disconnected from the button you see. On the left picture the button says �Delete�, on the right picture is says �OK�. These words are context-specific and meaningless on their own, you cannot fully understand what these buttons do without having a look at everything else first, in this case the radio buttons. Even though the left one says �delete�, the mode is different depending on the radio button you select. If you use separate buttons with more specific labels, then it�s much easier to understand what you have to do. There is less thinking involved.

This isn�t just about beauty, but about considering how humans interact with such controls. It may seem trivial to you, but to me it makes a lot of sense.
    I'm 100% sure there's no way you click on those words and don't notice the blue radio button. It's got nothing to do with how humans interact with control. It makes a lot of sense to you but I'm sure radio buttons have been around for ages and people didn't get lost back then.

It's colored and I just tried to ignore it and it still is hard to ignore. When you click something, a certain part of the button turns blue.. how hard is it to see idk. Just because apple does it a certain way doesn't mean it's the best way. My pc still uses radio button and so do my tablet

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 05:53 PM
    Here's a screen shot from the Flickr app.

As you can see, it's a very text heavy page. It's also somewhat low-contrast. Take the phone outside and you'll have a little difficulty seeing where the checkboxes are.

The "Preferences" heading looks like it's the button to adjust preferences for the "Auto Sync" feature. At first glance, it's not immediately obvious what element is a heading or a button.

Now let's look at a settings page in the BB10.2 control panel.

It's bright - it's easy to see even outside in full sun. Sections (Storage details, Access to Storage, etc...) are well delineated. Elements you interact with are immediately obvious. Buttons look like buttons, toggles look like toggles. You're not going to tap on things that aren't buttons.

05-23-14 05:55 PM
    The UI is still being worked on. Just for your info. 10.3 isn't finished yet just like the Q30 lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 06:10 PM
236 ... 34567 ...